Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gold Rush season 3

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm still holding out for Parker. He's been a little brattish of late, but you would be too under these circunstances.

As for Fred, I only wish him the best ... equipment breakdowns, that is.

Todd? To me, he sold out long ago.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   d.glen

d.glen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I hope it's not Todd, he couldn't find his ass with both hands! Fred or Parker is my hope.

#43 OFFLINE   ilyag2

ilyag2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

True that

#44 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I still can't believe Parker didn't fire that guy for putting the gold in his truck for "safe keeping' :confused:
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#45 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I still can't believe Parker didn't fire that guy for putting the gold in his truck for "safe keeping' :confused:

Yes I'm still baffled as to why this guy is still even there. I thought by now the guy would have been fed up by whole ordeal or at least fired by Parker. I don't even think he's a bad guy either. I think its just the editing that makes him look bad.

#46 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Well, all sites look less likely to hit it big after this week's episode. Dakota boys invested in new dirt moving gear which will increase their productivity in future episodes, but that is yet to be seen.

Quartz Creek: Turbo-trammel sure worked out, didn't it? Another great decision by Todd. He declares Quartz creek is done for season and loses his investor. So all hope of the Hoffman's striking it big and reaching 1000 ounces is gone. I recommended weeks ago that they move dirt from QC to IR as the wash plant there was working. I would think the two miles distance wouldn't cost that much in diesel fuel if the ground was that rich. Funny how it was never even thought of on air. Poor Dave Turin. I bet Todd starts managing Indian River and drives it into destruction before the season is over. They already are showing a rift over the D10 dozer issue, where Todd pulled rank on Dave and Dave took the dozer anyway.

#47 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Well, all sites look less likely to hit it big after this week's episode. Dakota boys invested in new dirt moving gear which will increase their productivity in future episodes, but that is yet to be seen.

Quartz Creek: Turbo-trammel sure worked out, didn't it? Another great decision by Todd. He declares Quartz creek is done for season and loses his investor. So all hope of the Hoffman's striking it big and reaching 1000 ounces is gone. I recommended weeks ago that they move dirt from QC to IR as the wash plant there was working. I would think the two miles distance wouldn't cost that much in diesel fuel if the ground was that rich. Funny how it was never even thought of on air. Poor Dave Turin. I bet Todd starts managing Indian River and drives it into destruction before the season is over. They already are showing a rift over the D10 dozer issue, where Todd pulled rank on Dave and Dave took the dozer anyway.

The season isn't over yet. I think your conclusions - although well stated - might be a bit premature.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#48 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Discovery needs to dump Todd and make Tony Beets the star..

#49 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Discovery needs to dump Todd and make Tony Beets the star..

Tony is a character alright, but he's also giving out self-serving advice when it comes to drilling.

I don't think we've heard the last of Todd this season. Personally, I don't care for him selling out to investors, but that said, he's poised to make a bundle as soon as the Producers let us see him running the QC tailings through the IR trommel.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#50 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

That "turbo trommel" is a complete joke. I mean first the engine that was put into it was not powerful enough to run it and then the inner parts can't take the wear and tear. It was poorly engineered. The guy who built and designed it had no hindsight. Todd should have never dismantled the old washplant. I just never understood the logic in doing so and I have no sympathy for him.

Edited by litex2x, 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

That "turbo trommel" is a complete joke. I mean first the engine that was put into it was no powerful enough to run it and then the inner parts can't take the wear and tear. It was poorly engineered. The guy who built and designed it had no hindsight. Todd should have never dismantled the old washplant. I just never understood the logic in doing so and I have no sympathy for him.

Yeah, he fell for some snake oil on that one. That thing cost hundreds of thousands of Dollars, not to mention the time lost and the gold it spewed out the wrong end. I wonder if Todd has any legal recourse? Man, he was really taken to the cleaners!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#52 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

well, I can see a rift coming. If next week's guide is true, how do you split the Quartz Creek and Indian River take? Some part has to go to the Investor, other has to go for rental of the dozers, purchase fuel, etc. the seven ounces collected at Quartz Creek isn't going to cover that, let alone leave any for Todd and his QC crew.

Certainly you can't mix the gold from both sites together, give half the team a pink slip and then divvy up the rest equally (when you know Todd will pink slip the IR new guys in favor of the old guys). that would give Todd and his dad a healthy cut they don't deserve. Or put in other words, can you expect Todd to try to pay for the Jack in the Beanstalk magic beans (Trommel) from the Indian River gold? Just doesn't seem fair.

I'd like to know who paid for Big Red. Turin and Dobbs built it from scratch. I'd just love it if Turin denied Todd the use of Big Red or he has to buy it from Dave for $1 more than what Todd paid for the turbo trommel.

I really see Dave Turin leaving in protest of Todd's bad treatment of his crew and then coming back in season four and competing directly with Todd for land.

Edited by V'ger, 22 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

well, I can see a rift coming. If next week's guide is true, how do you split the Quartz Creek and Indian River take? Some part has to go to the Investor, other has to go for rental of the dozers, purchase fuel, etc. the seven ounces collected at Quartz Creek isn't going to cover that, let alone leave any for Todd and his QC crew.

Certainly you can't mix the gold from both sites together, give half the team a pink slip and then divvy up the rest equally (when you know Todd will pink slip the IR new guys in favor of the old guys). that would give Todd and his dad a healthy cut they don't deserve. Or put in other words, can you expect Todd to try to pay for the Jack in the Beanstalk magic beans (Trommel) from the Indian River gold? Just doesn't seem fair.

I'd like to know who paid for Big Red. Turin and Dobbs built it from scratch. I'd just love it if Turin denied Todd the use of Big Red or he has to buy it from Dave for $1 more than what Todd paid for the turbo trommel.

I really see Dave Turin leaving in protest of Todd's bad treatment of his crew and then coming back in season four and competing directly with Todd for land.

Wow, didn't realize you could get that much out of a preview.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#54 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Keep in mind that this is a TV show. Discovery pays for alot of things, and the show also has several sponsors that pay for things.

Do you notice all the new F-350's with lift kits, huge off road tires, and suspension they've been driving around? Ford paid for those.

Jack and Todd were paid $500k for season 2, with another $100k bonus at the end of the season. I'm sure they get a bump for season 3.

Notice the company name on the side of the super trommel? I doubt Todd paid hundreds of thousands for it. They regularly get things for free, at cost, or on loan from sponsors to use on camera.

I'm suprised Catepillar hasn't stepped up and given them their latest heavy duty equipment, but they aren't a sponsor.

The pressure from outside "investors" is added in for drama to the show. Discovery dishes out money for running costs to make sure the show will be successful. It comes back to them in ratings and ad revenue.

#55 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,066 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Keep in mind that this is a TV show. Discovery pays for alot of things, and the show also has several sponsors that pay for things.

Do you notice all the new F-350's with lift kits, huge off road tires, and suspension they've been driving around? Ford paid for those.

Jack and Todd were paid $500k for season 2, with another $100k bonus at the end of the season. I'm sure they get a bump for season 3.

Notice the company name on the side of the super trommel? I doubt Todd paid hundreds of thousands for it. They regularly get things for free, at cost, or on loan from sponsors to use on camera.

I'm suprised Catepillar hasn't stepped up and given them their latest heavy duty equipment, but they aren't a sponsor.

The pressure from outside "investors" is added in for drama to the show. Discovery dishes out money for running costs to make sure the show will be successful. It comes back to them in ratings and ad revenue.

If my company name was on the side of the "Super Trammel" I would be paying to have it removed.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 23 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#56 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

When they first brought that trammel on site I figured they got a pretty good discount if not free for having that name on the side of it (and having Todd talk it up as the future), then figured like Scott that after it started up the guy was probably wishing he never put it on there... :lol:
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#57 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

It makes more sense (to me, anyway) if Todd & Co. negotiated with the producers/sponsors so that they wouldn't have to share the gold take. That of course means that Todd would have to be self-suficient, and hence the investors. It makes even more sense if Scott's right and Jack & Tood make 1/2 mil each just for showing up on screen.

If all of the equipment is paid for by the producers/sponsors, then why the need for investors; unless the cost of fuel, food and shelter are so astronomically high the it needed to be financed from without.

I'm probably all wet and nieve here, but lacking info to the contrary, it makes reasonable sense.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#58 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sharing the gold is between them and Todd & Co.

I still talk to one of network reps I had to deal with at Discovery Communications in my TV days.

They are all under contract with Discovery. They get a flate rate per episode that they appear in. This includes the crew members you don't see much of. Outside of the major roles, It's about 2k per episode, with a bonus for agreeing to a certain amount of "After" shows and outside media appearances.

The Hoffman crew didn't just walk away with 8 grand a piece last year after complaining of possibly ending up going home with nothing. That was all for drama. Most of the Hoffman crew walked away with 50k+ from Discovery for the season + whatever profit sharing in Gold. Dave now has a bigger role on the show, so I'm sure they gave him a bigger contract this season. In terms of being Gold Miners, they all made crap last year for all that hard work, which is true.

Edited by LakeSteve, 23 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Disappointed they didn't take the drama aspect of the merger, instead of the happy team approach.

FWIW, they got 45 oz with double crew when Team Turin got 53oz the week before. Even if you prorate the 45oz for six days work (due to loss of Big Red for a day due to hydraulic motor problem) it works out that they did the same number of oz per day with DOUBLE the crew. Investor was right, should fire half the combined crew as they aren't adding to the total.

The only way the additional people could help is to take Quartz Creek paydirt to Big Red during the night. They aren't doing that, so there is no increased productivity.

#60 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Disappointed they didn't take the drama aspect of the merger, instead of the happy team approach.

FWIW, they got 45 oz with double crew when Team Turin got 53oz the week before. Even if you prorate the 45oz for six days work (due to loss of Big Red for a day due to hydraulic motor problem) it works out that they did the same number of oz per day with DOUBLE the crew. Investor was right, should fire half the combined crew as they aren't adding to the total.

The only way the additional people could help is to take Quartz Creek paydirt to Big Red during the night. They aren't doing that, so there is no increased productivity.

Was the 53 oz haul from just one week's worth of work or several weeks?

But yeah there's way to many people there. So much so that most barely get any screen time and when they finally do you're like wait who was that guy? The only new guy that stands out is the mechanic.

spam firewall