Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gold Rush season 3

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Disappointed they didn't take the drama aspect of the merger, instead of the happy team approach.

FWIW, they got 45 oz with double crew when Team Turin got 53oz the week before. Even if you prorate the 45oz for six days work (due to loss of Big Red for a day due to hydraulic motor problem) it works out that they did the same number of oz per day with DOUBLE the crew. Investor was right, should fire half the combined crew as they aren't adding to the total.

The only way the additional people could help is to take Quartz Creek paydirt to Big Red during the night. They aren't doing that, so there is no increased productivity.

Yeah, I can't figure that one out. There you have Parker on his new claim driving over 2 miles for each paydirt, and Todd's team can't do the same thing? I was always on Todd's side, but this year I am loosing patients with him. Dave should be in charge from now on

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

My guess is that they are saving the recovery of QC tailing gold for better effect later or closer to the season ending. It's probably happened already, but producers being what they are will milk this one.

I hope Parker hits it big at the new site.

I have nothing but warm wishes and hopes for more breakdowns for Fred. ;)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#63 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

It looks like Parker is going to have the most profitable season.

Was anybody else yelling at the TV for them to just have a spotter behind the dump truck during the night shift!?!?

#64 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Was anybody else yelling at the TV for them to just have a spotter behind the dump truck during the night shift!?!?

I was yelling use some flares like you did last season, dumb arses :D

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#65 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Todd's single mindness on getting to 1000 oz nearly destroyed the Big Red wash plant. It's not his, after all. It's Fred Dodge and Dave Turin's design and if Todd runs it into the ground (literally), it couldn't be anything that Todd did, Right? Of all the gear at Indian River, they have some form of back up for every piece of gear except the wash plant. If it breaks, they are done. So it should be handled with some form of respect, but no....

I don't see why Todd doesn't have the mechanic work on the turbo trammel when no other issues are present. Get it ready for next season, or to sell, whatever, but Todd will probably make plans for it next season that will take half the season to get it into order. Get it fixed now... for next year.

There is something called preventive maintenance and if you are going to refuse to do that, or force people into real safety issues to gain production there is a real problem that the government should get involved with (ordering a truck to dump at cliff in the dark). If the truck had gone over the hill, it would have been a total shut down of the mine and Todd would have been recorded as ordering the unsafe procedure against the driver's recommendation and Todd would have been found criminally negligent in a court.

If I were whatever government agency responsible for safety at Indian River and watched the 'Night Shift' episode, I'd be contacting the show and asking for all unedited footage, interviewing the crew and be writing six figure fines if what played out on TV was an accurate portrayal of events for the Hoffman crew.

Edited by V'ger, 03 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#67 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Wow after tonight's episode, it kind of makes you wonder how much more gold the Hoffman crew would've mined if they had BOTH dig sites open. I think they'll either come really close to breaking 1000 oz or go over.

#68 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Wow after tonight's episode, it kind of makes you wonder how much more gold the Hoffman crew would've mined if they had BOTH dig sites open. I think they'll either come really close to breaking 1000 oz or go over.

Is there any paydirt left? Indian River is done and they used up all the Quartz Creek dirt they had stockpiled. There may be more to dig, but can they get 300 oz worth? they had what, 10000 yards of QC dirt and got 200 oz, or about one oz per 50 yards. So they are going to have to dig up 15000 yards and run it though the wash plant in two weeks (supposedly) left in the season?

#69 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Is there any paydirt left? Indian River is done and they used up all the Quartz Creek dirt they had stockpiled. There may be more to dig, but can they get 300 oz worth? they had what, 10000 yards of QC dirt and got 200 oz, or about one oz per 50 yards. So they are going to have to dig up 15000 yards and run it though the wash plant in two weeks (supposedly) left in the season?

It's a good question especially with them digging up the garbage on the waterfront area that the trommel builder suggested. And wasn't it the only reason they dug the waterfront area to begin with, because they dug up all of the Quartz Creek property?

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#70 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Maybe they could just run the dirt at the end of the sluice box at IR and the trommel at QC. They keep talking about how they lost gold out of each, but they never go get it. They actually use the phrase "gone forever" when discussing it. Am I missing something, or are they borderline retarded? I would be psyched if I panned that dirt and found gold, and they act like it's the end of the world. You know where the gold is, isn't that 2/3 of the battle?

#71 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think they have a good chance of reaching it just from hauling pay dirt up from the other claim.

#72 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Maybe they could just run the dirt at the end of the sluice box at IR and the trommel at QC. They keep talking about how they lost gold out of each, but they never go get it. They actually use the phrase "gone forever" when discussing it. Am I missing something, or are they borderline retarded? I would be psyched if I panned that dirt and found gold, and they act like it's the end of the world. You know where the gold is, isn't that 2/3 of the battle?

There would be some gold in the tailings but most would have washed right on out to the river.

Though I watch the show for entertainment, the numbers don't add up. When you look at the amount of very expensive heavy equipment they all use compared to the amount of gold they supposedly find, none of the three could possibly be covering all their expenses. TV revenue has to be supplementing operating costs so it is no surprise dramatic value outweighs good business practices throughout this show. I would rate this show maybe 5% reality and 95% dramatic interpretation.

#73 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

There would be some gold in the tailings but most would have washed right on out to the river.

It's basically a closed system. Water comes out of the sluice box and goes into a holding pond to be reused. Also, gold is extremely heavy, like twice as heavy as lead, it doesn't easily wash anywhere.

And the gold at QC wasn't lost from the sluice box, but out the end of the trommel, so no water involved.

#74 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

It's basically a closed system. Water comes out of the sluice box and goes into a holding pond to be reused. Also, gold is extremely heavy, like twice as heavy as lead, it doesn't easily wash anywhere.

And the gold at QC wasn't lost from the sluice box, but out the end of the trommel, so no water involved.

Are you sure it's a closed system? I remember a season or two ago they tried a closed system but the water was too dirty and kept clogging the pump. I also recall them digging a canal to feed the holding pond at the beginning of the season and they were afraid it didn't have the right pitch to supply water.

As to gold being heavy, that's true but the flakes are so tiny, especially in comparison to the volume of water and material being run, it is easily washed away. That is exactly why sluice box design and frequent clean outs are so important.

With that said I think it would make sense to rerun the tailings when a lot of gold was presumed lost-especially in the trommel but as I alluded to before, drama takes precedence over common sense or sound business practice in determining what we see. For all we know, they may routinely rerun the tailings but it would probably make for some boring TV. ;)

#75 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

[...] With that said I think it would make sense to rerun the tailings when a lot of gold was presumed lost-especially in the trommel but as I alluded to before, drama takes precedence over common sense or sound business practice in determining what we see. For all we know, they may routinely rerun the tailings but it would probably make for some boring TV. ;)

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#76 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

My biggest issue is their continual use of the term "gone forever" when discussing gold the gets washed out of the sluice box or lost out the end of the trommel.

#77 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Though I watch the show for entertainment, the numbers don't add up. When you look at the amount of very expensive heavy equipment they all use compared to the amount of gold they supposedly find, none of the three could possibly be covering all their expenses. TV revenue has to be supplementing operating costs so it is no surprise dramatic value outweighs good business practices throughout this show. I would rate this show maybe 5% reality and 95% dramatic interpretation.

You can't count the entire value of the equipment against just one season's worth of gold. Most of that is leased, and Parker's stuff was long ago paid for. One clean-out of QC/IR gold this year more than covered the lease payments on all of their equipment for the entire season.

#78 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

My biggest issue is their continual use of the term "gone forever" when discussing gold the gets washed out of the sluice box or lost out the end of the trommel.

It depends on how they -or if they - stored the tailings. Professional miners save all of their tailings, but since Todd & Co. are neophytes, it's a valid concern. But for all we know, they might have flushed them down the river.

There are many mining operations that are now reprocessing gold and silver tailings in light of today's increased values. Most - if not all - are recovering gold and silver left for lost a long time ago due to the then relatively high recovery costs. That picture has changed rather dramatically.

So if they (Todd, et al) have been diligent, responsible miners and have saved and stored their tailings, they'll make their goal. Unfortunately, there has been no mention thus far of reprocessing the QC tailings or if they even exist. I suspect they do have them and that the producers are probably saving the news for the Finale.

My guess is that even IR tailings have some gold still in them. They, too, have had multiple trommel breakdowns and have mentioned the possibility of lost gold because of them.

And one more indicator is that Season Four has already started filming. I really doubt that Discovery would renew a losing reality show.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#79 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Anybody else feel uncomfortable watching the live show? The producer was really trying his hardest to create drama where ever he possibly could and Parker is forestalling going to college to run a brand new mine? The whole thing was a bit jarring and took me out of the actual show.

I'm very surprised Tony Beets didn't let out a single curse once during the live interviews. I was sure he would lol

#80 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Anybody else feel uncomfortable watching the live show? The producer was really trying his hardest to create drama where ever he possibly could and Parker is forestalling going to college to run a brand new mine? The whole thing was a bit jarring and took me out of the actual show.

I'm very surprised Tony Beets didn't let out a single curse once during the live interviews. I was sure he would lol

I heard a bleep when Tony was being interviewed, so I guess he snuck one in there. As for the rest of the show, it was a monumental let-down.

Todd didn't get his 1,000 ounces and yet he was given credit for finding the mother lode ... as if 800 ounces constituted a mother lode.:sure: On top of everything, two of his guys said bye-bye ... although they seemed somewhat interested in Parker's offer. Hell of a mother lode, uh? ... but then, Discovery never defined the term for us. :rolleyes:

Parker didn't get much in the way of "take home" gold. I think he barely covered his expenses. Mom and Dad as much as said they would finance his operation up north. He now becomes just another gold bug out for the big bucks.

I can't remember what Fred did, but it wasn't too impressive. I sorta hope he and his bunch get replaced next season.

As much as he tried, Christo just couldn't get much drama out of anyone. Todd was weepy most of the show, so I guess there was "some" drama.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...