Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM16 and Leviton

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hey guys!

I just had a SWM16 setup and I will be converting the space it is in to a Leviton Structured Media Enclosure...

A couple of questions to those that may have done this.

I would like to mount the SWM16 to the back of the box but not sure about which Leviton bracket would best for this...ideas on the best way to mount it?

Also, after looking at what the DirecTV installer did, it looks as it there is a simple splitter coming off the SWM16 that all my receivers (7 total) get fed from...can I replace this switch with a Leviton switch? That way I can mount it to the enclosure and my anal retnetativness will be held in check. :hurah:

I don't have the model of the existing splitter that the installer used but it looks like a standard video splitter - nothing special - but then I'm new to what he did, so hence the question to you guys...

Any help is appreciated - the Leviton stuff is very expensive and I don't want to buy the wrong modules...

Edited by jmhenry5150, 26 October 2012 - 12:16 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I am not an installer but I do know all of the parts the DTV installer put in are made especially for the DTV systems, even the simple splitter is not simple.

I have read many many times of problems when a user simply moves one receiver to another room.

If there is a way to just hide what you are looking at without unhooking any of it, I would do that if it bugs you to see it.
If not, I think you will open up a big can of worms / headaches that will take some time to to get it back to working.

Good luck.

Edited by jimmie57, 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I install Leviton panels all the time and you are asking some good questions.

Unfortunately, Leviton does not have the snap lock brackets that will work with the SWM moduale. I just take a couple of long zip ties and ties to the back of the panel.

As for the splitters, also no, the splitters that the installer used should have a green label on them and they are designed for the sat system were the splitters that Leviton has does not past all the signal/data information.

#4 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

I install Leviton panels all the time and you are asking some good questions.

Unfortunately, Leviton does not have the snap lock brackets that will work with the SWM moduale. I just take a couple of long zip ties and ties to the back of the panel.

As for the splitters, also no, the splitters that the installer used should have a green label on them and they are designed for the sat system were the splitters that Leviton has does not past all the signal/data information.

They have the universal shelf that you can get with velcro straps:

LINK

Do you think this would work?

Good to know on the splitter - guess I will have to live with it...grrrr.....

Also man - the SWM16 really gets H-O-T!!!

#5 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I just take a couple of long zip ties and ties to the back of the panel.

Any pics of what you have done here? What exactly are you attaching to?

#6 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Leviton also makes universal security bracket that you can screw directv ****ches too. Might even work for your swm unit. I was able to fit two 2 way splitters side by side on the 6" bracket. I didnt like the way the coax cables were going to have to bend to fit everything in the 140 Leviton Structured Media Enclosure. So I will just be mounting all the brackets I got to a sheet of plywood.

http://www.tselectro...a-Cabinets/1011

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

[quote name='jmhenry5150']They have the universal shelf that you can get with velcro straps:

LINK

Do you think this would work?

Good to know on the splitter - guess I will have to live with it...grrrr.....

Also man - the SWM16 really gets H-O-T!!![/quote]

Most of the posts I read said they get anywhere from 100 to 133 degrees depending on where they are placed. A lot of them are placed in an attic and in the summer that just adds to their already hot temperatures.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ok so I am doing this tonight - the only unknown I have is how to mount the SWM16 to the Leviton box...ideas?

Also, since I have to remove EVERYTHING out of the existing box, any thoughts on hooking it all back up correctly and it NOT working?

Just want to make sure there's nothing special I have to do with the system to get it back up.

Thanks in advance.

#9 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ok so I am doing this tonight - the only unknown I have is how to mount the SWM16 to the Leviton box...ideas?

Also, since I have to remove EVERYTHING out of the existing box, any thoughts on hooking it all back up correctly and it NOT working?

Just want to make sure there's nothing special I have to do with the system to get it back up.

Thanks in advance.

Ive done a few leviton boxes and one thing I try to do is Install the box onto plywood. That way anything I want to put anywhere inside I just drill a 1/8 inch hole with a metal bit and can screw something to the plywood.

#10 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I always take a digital photo of the "before", so I can refer to it if things go awry.

#11 OFFLINE   jmhenry5150

jmhenry5150

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

The new box is in - so far so good but I have questions here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=210141

Protected By... spam firewall...And...