Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 8 - Any first hand experiences?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Does anybody have first hand experiences with Windows 8, especially on a non-touch screen?

I'm wondering if it's usable on a desktop.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

In a desktop or laptop non touch it's awful.had the gold master for a while.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Does anybody have first hand experiences with Windows 8, especially on a non-touch screen?

Thanks.

Am in the process of installing it on a desktop.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I mostly use Desktop apps, other than the lack of the traditional start button, I almost don't notice it. All that changes when I hit the windows key or bring up the Charms bar.

#5 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I installed it a couple of months ago. I fortunately found Stardock's Start8 program which gives me back my start button & menu & boots me directly to the desktop so it still looks & mostly feels like Win 7. I have to use HP's printing app to scan but can print normally. I avoid the tile interface as much as possible.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks.

Yes, been playing with it here at work. It makes ZERO sense on a non-touch screen device.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

I installed it into a VM on my iMac last month just to check it out. I don't plan to upgrade my Win7 VM unless they give us a way to turn off the touch interface.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

For those like me that turn your computer off:

1. Move pointer to upper right corner (Start menu should appear)
2. Choose Settings
3. Choose Power
4. Choose Shut down

And to think we said bad things about having to press the Start button to shut the computer down.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I played with two Win8 laptops at Costco today: one touch, one non-touch. The touch-screen was much easier to use, of course.

But I found both to be non-intuitive in one regard: I was looking at the Win8 tiles and wanted to see what happened if I pressed WINDOWS-E, and it did bring up File Explorer, and showed the traditional task bar, but there was nothing I could to get back to the tiles.

I have an MSDN license and may download and install to play, but I really do need a new laptop and if I'm going to get Windows 8 then I want something I can use as a tablet or laptop, something like the Dell XPS 12 convertible ultrabook. I will do a lot of research before I make a decision though...

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I installed an early release version of Windows 8 as a dual boot option on my laptop and used it for a few weeks. The Metro interface is a disaster for mouse users. I removed Win 8 after a couple of weeks.

The good news is that MS will support Windows 7 through 2020.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

For what it is worth, www.bleepingcomputer.com has posted a bunch of Windows 8 Tutorials and is still creating more. I also saw a Windows 8 Operating System forum.

I saw them and thought that will be handy for the early adopters.

Personally I think I'm going to stay with Windows 7 for a while longer, 2 to 5 years. I went from XP back in 2003 to windows 7 when it came out. I like my Mouse.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I installed an early release version of Windows 8 as a dual boot option on my laptop and used it for a few weeks. The Metro interface is a disaster for mouse users. I removed Win 8 after a couple of weeks.

Extended support is through 2019, security patches will end in January 2020. Still a lot of time though.

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

There are lots of "under the hood" things I want Win 8 for (like Storage Spaces so that my 10TB+ of disks will look like one volume on the network) but that Metro UI is just god-awful for a desktop.

#14 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I broke down today while I was at Costco and picked up an HP Envy Windows 8 laptop. It's not touchscreen, but has a huge touchpad, and using two-fingers on the pad you can do screen swipes to scroll up/down or left/right. Dragging a finger from the right edge opens the charms, dragging from the left opens swaps to the most recently used app.

This helps a LOT, but I think I will still be returning this to look for a touchscreen laptop.

#15 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

There are lots of "under the hood" things I want Win 8 for (like Storage Spaces so that my 10TB+ of disks will look like one volume on the network) but that Metro UI is just god-awful for a desktop.

Yeah, seeing all installed apps and accessories in a huge list is just confusing and messy. But... it's one click to get to the Desktop, and my plan is to pin my favorite apps to the task bar and just ignore the Start Tile screen
unless there's some obscure program I want to open.

My ultimate hope is Microsoft will relent and let users choose to use a Start Menu or the Start Tiles.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

From AllThingsD.com:

Windows RT will only be available built into devices. A high-end
version of Windows 8, called Pro, can be purchased separately,
so you can upgrade your PC. ... If you don’t have a touchscreen,
Windows 8 will still work, but more clumsily...

More: http://allthingsd.co...the-tablet-age/

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Extended support is through 2019, security patches will end in January 2020. Still a lot of time though.

Thank goodness.

The Windows 8 UI clearly was designed by Barney from Sesame Street.

Clunky on a tablet...a mouse-maze on a PC.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just installed it as a virtual machine on my iMac. It's not really useless if you have a mouse. There is a desktop mode that has the feel of previous Windows versions. So far its running pretty smoothly.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Clean installs:

http://www.winsupers...de-media-144648

#20 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Y'all should check out Start8 by Stardock. I think it is only $5. Works great & I almost forget that I am in Windows 8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...