Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 8 - Any first hand experiences?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Upgrade Friday from Windows 7 Home to Windows 8 Pro.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Put it one of my lesser used computers yesterday. IE10 with only one tab is fairly useless. I have multiple tabs open 100% of the time. Luckily there's Chrome.

So far the only saving grace is the legacy desktop and win7 compatibility. Also I miss having a clock on the screen all the time.

It's like they took all the things that make it possible for me to do my job, and did their best to keep me from using them.

Other than that it's ok.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Ive read all the complaints here, but so far, I havent seen any compelling reasons why someone would want to upgrade a perfectly working windows 7 system....Why are you all upgrading?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#24 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

In my case because it is there.:)

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Because I have a less-used computer to play, and because I want to know what I'm up against.

I just read that 90% of IT managers surveyed do not intend to deploy Windows 8 any time before 2014. That gives Microsoft... Plenty of time to decide if they care about business or productivity; at the moment it would seem they don't.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Ive read all the complaints here, but so far, I havent seen any compelling reasons why someone would want to upgrade a perfectly working windows 7 system....Why are you all upgrading?

The nice thing is you can install win 8 and dual boot win 7, keeping your perfectly working system, perfectly working and only going to Win 8 when you feel like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. It's a pretty easy procedure.

#27 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Put it one of my lesser used computers yesterday. IE10 with only one tab is fairly useless. I have multiple tabs open 100% of the time. Luckily there's Chrome.

So far the only saving grace is the legacy desktop and win7 compatibility. Also I miss having a clock on the screen all the time.

It's like they took all the things that make it possible for me to do my job, and did their best to keep me from using them.

Other than that it's ok.

Are you saying that IE10 doesn't do tabs?

#28 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

That's what I am saying. There are actually two IE apps in Windows 8. The one in the desktop is just like the one on Windows 7, with multiple tabs. However, the one from the start screen is one window, no tabs. The two apps don't share preferences or bookmarks but both are called "Internet explorer 10." Very confusing.

#29 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Because I have a less-used computer to play, and because I want to know what I'm up against.

I just read that 90% of IT managers surveyed do not intend to deploy Windows 8 any time before 2014. That gives Microsoft... Plenty of time to decide if they care about business or productivity; at the moment it would seem they don't.

You mean IT managers where their main focus is stability and useability are not planning to upgrade at first chance to a whole new UI basically in win8? Lol

There is a reason why most would rather run 98 on SP 1million than vista RC...hehe... Just now are most upgrading from 98 to win7... So its no shock to me that most would pass on the win8 this yr...

Plus....who likes tiles?...lol

I'm still shocked at the one tab in IE thing too lol.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

You mean IT managers where their main focus is stability and useability are not planning to upgrade at first chance to a whole new UI basically in win8? Lol

There is a reason why most would rather run 98 on SP 1million than vista RC...hehe... Just now are most upgrading from 98 to win7... So its no shock to me that most would pass on the win8 this yr...

Plus....who likes tiles?...lol

I'm still shocked at the one tab in IE thing too lol.

We're actually talking about upgrading users from Win 7 to Ubuntu Desktop where I work. It's either that or just stick with Win 7 until EOL and see what happens between now and then. Win 8 just doesn't belong in a business setting.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Just installed it as a virtual machine on my iMac. It's not really useless if you have a mouse. There is a desktop mode that has the feel of previous Windows versions. So far its running pretty smoothly.

The thing about your post is that I've been contemplating switching to the Mac side of the aisle. I'm in no rush, but even though I had to switch to MS-DOS from TRS-DOS almost 30 years ago, I really don't see the point of a Microsoft based computing environment in the era of the tablet.

Right now I am perfectly happy with Windows 7, but assuming I'm not dead or senile in 2015 I can't figure out what I'll be doing on a Windows 9 or 10 desktop. I've lost interest in tweaking or working around the operating system - it just seems a waste of the little time I have left. And that seems to be the reality of a Windows OS. Much like XP, I've finally gotten Win 7 to mostly do what I expect from a desktop OS.

I love my iPad 1. The one thing I don't like is the smudges from fingers and my lack of accuracy in touching exactly what I'm aiming at to drag, etc. So why not screw up the mouse-keyboard environment of my desktop so that thousands of software (ok, now they're "app") manufacturers can make their clunky but fully functional data base oriented programs work in a mouseless workplace.

If I must basically move to an iPad computing environment, it seems like I might as well go with the folks who made the touchscreen GUI a commercial success. And I guess if I need something that works well only in Win 7, there seems to be that option in the Mac environment.

That's my rant for the month, posted from my iPad.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#32 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

We're actually talking about upgrading users from Win 7 to Ubuntu Desktop where I work. It's either that or just stick with Win 7 until EOL and see what happens between now and then. Win 8 just doesn't belong in a business setting.

Exactly!

I installed the preview months ago and removed it after a day. Just didn't like it... Don't see why they would want to go completely away from the format to a more constricted view in the move from a desktop to having tiles and such...

I understand the want to have the same user experience across all platform devices....but at what cost to user experience is it worth it?

#33 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

The thing about your post is that I've been contemplating switching to the Mac side of the aisle. I'm in no rush, but even though I had to switch to MS-DOS from TRS-DOS almost 30 years ago, I really don't see the point of a Microsoft based computing environment in the era of the tablet.

Right now I am perfectly happy with Windows 7, but assuming I'm not dead or senile in 2015 I can't figure out what I'll be doing on a Windows 9 or 10 desktop. I've lost interest in tweaking or working around the operating system - it just seems a waste of the little time I have left. And that seems to be the reality of a Windows OS. Much like XP, I've finally gotten Win 7 to mostly do what I expect from a desktop OS.

I love my iPad 1. The one thing I don't like is the smudges from fingers and my lack of accuracy in touching exactly what I'm aiming at to drag, etc. So why not screw up the mouse-keyboard environment of my desktop so that thousands of software (ok, now they're "app") manufacturers can make their clunky but fully functional data base oriented programs work in a mouseless workplace.

If I must basically move to an iPad computing environment, it seems like I might as well go with the folks who made the touchscreen GUI a commercial success. And I guess if I need something that works well only in Win 7, there seems to be that option in the Mac environment.

That's my rant for the month, posted from my iPad.

That's basically where I was about 4 years ago. I got tired of fiddling around with Windows based systems. While the MAC OSX environment isn't perfect, there are a lot of things that you don't worry about with a Mac.

I actually like Windows 7. I boot up Win 7 several times a month to run a few programs that don't have a Mac counterpart (like my Christmas light display software). On a Mac you can also have both systems running at the same time which is really cool especially if you have two monitors. Windows on one monitor and OSX on the other.

#34 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Chris, I agree that it's not useless in a mouse/keyboard environment but it certainly is less useful. I was thinking last night, that Windows 8 almost seems like a spiteful move. Business users were once the lifeblood of Windows but since Windows Vista, more businesses have elected to stay at least one cycle behind (I don't blame them.) Microsoft is going where the money is now, to the consumer, and it seems that they simply don't care what the impact to businesses.

I saw the same thing with Adobe several years ago. At one time professional creatives were their key user base, but as they kept filling their software up with bloaty, uninteresting features people elected to stay on earlier versions. Adobe refocussed on the general user and as a result there hasn't been a good feature added to Photoshop or Illustrator for professional users in at least 7 years.

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

After running the consumer preview of Win8 on my laptop, I took it off. From my POV the tiled UI just gets in the way of actually using the computer and brings literally no benefit to the table to offset that.

On a touchscreen desktop it still wouldn't be of much use since desktop touch has been an abject failure over the years except in some very narrow markets. And I have experience with touch on a desktop as I had an HP Touchsmart for a bit. I found that I almost never used touch, the only times I used it was with the few touch apps that came with it, like the recipe/cooking app which was wonderful.

So basically MS has decided to bring a touchpad/touch phone interface to the desktop/laptop which to me means virtually no pickup from the business community and if it wasn't for new boxes coming with Win8, I think it would fail in the consumer end too.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#36 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just realized that the Win8 version of IE doesn't let you have favorites. Really? You can pin a shortcut to a site to the start page but hey, I have literally 60 sites I visit EVERY DAY for work. There's no "open in tabs," no "tab groups", seriously. If Chrome didn't work on Win8 I would be sunk. I mean, I can use the IE version in the desktop as well, but it seems clear Microsoft only put that there as a crutch and I wouldn't want to count on it for work, knowing they could pull it at any time.

#37 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

The more I read about Windows 8 the more I think it will go the way of Windows Millennium.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#38 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Don't know if I would go that far. There are a number of 3rd party apps that seem to make Win8 almost tolerable. Chrome and Start8 bring back a lot of function. The issue for me is a deeper one; taking away productivity by default.

There are some plusses... the mail and contacts client syncs with Exchange, at least in the Pro version. It accurately and quietly identified my printer and installed the driver. I think I'll like the idea that you can go into Settings for any app just by clicking on the same icon.

However, a few more minuses... right-click does very little outside the Desktop app. F1 doesn't do anything (gee, that's only been the help button for 30 years). Messages lets you add facebook, but it doesn't let seem to let you add a windows live ID unless it's using the .hotmail.com or .live.com domain.

Oh, one more thing... the Start screen shows my name all the time. I know my name. I'd rather have a clock all the time; I don't always know the time.

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I don't understand why the PC OS has to be the same as the mobile OS....then again, the familiarity and ease of use across multiple devices is what made iOS.

I hope there isn't too much that's cloud based. Where I work that can't happen. We already have issues between the web based Help and our firewall.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#40 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

There is a lot of cloud stuff, even your login is cloud-based unless you specifically define yourself as a local user. I don't know what happens if you login without internet access.

spam firewall