Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 8 - Any first hand experiences?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

There is a lot of cloud stuff, even your login is cloud-based unless you specifically define yourself as a local user. I don't know what happens if you login without internet access.

I doubt my company will ever switch if it's cloud based.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mike, to be clear I'm running Windows 8 Pro on a computer that's not attached to a domain. I don't know about the cloud-based-ness of Windows 8 Enterprise.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Mike, to be clear I'm running Windows 8 Pro on a computer that's not attached to a domain. I don't know about the cloud-based-ness of Windows 8 Enterprise.

Not that it matters much. It takes forever to vet a new OS. It has to pass compatibility with our software, security's software, etc.

We've only installed Windows 7 over the last year. We currently don't have plans to test Win 8 but if we did it would take more than a year to make it secure for a defense contractor.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#44 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I did a clean install of Win 8 over the weekend and my biggest complaint is that the setup process doesn't ask your timezone, even if you had turned off "location-detection"!

As I mentioned earlier, even without a touch screen, using the touchpad to swipe is pretty easy - not sure if that's universal or unique to HP, but it's a good approximation of touching the screen and should be natural for tablet users.

The "metro" apps - and I'll continue to call them that - are kind of useless, but you can show two metro apps side by side in a fashion. One metro app will be a thin column, the other nearly full screen. I can see putting music in a thin column as something you might do, but it's just so much easier to go to Desktop mode and truly multi-task...

#45 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Not that it matters much. It takes forever to vet a new OS. It has to pass compatibility with our software, security's software, etc.

We've only installed Windows 7 over the last year. We currently don't have plans to test Win 8 but if we did it would take more than a year to make it secure for a defense contractor.

Mike

I can't imagine any sizable company going to 8, regardless of being a defense contractor or not.

#46 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I installed Windows 8 on a home laptop. After a couple of days, I actually like it, and I'm an IT pro. I especially appreciate the better implementation of security.

It's definitely faster than Windows 7 on my Intel Core i3 PC.

#47 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

You all think the UI on the desktop OS is bad - have a look at the Server 2012 the same darn tile interface. How many people have a server with a touch screen?
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#48 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

You all think the UI on the desktop OS is bad - have a look at the Server 2012 the same darn tile interface. How many people have a server with a touch screen?

The tile UI is an option on Server. Server by default has no GUI now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#49 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

It was given to me as a gift. After 4 days of use I am looking for a way to go back to Windows 7. Played with the tiles for a couple days and have since gone back to the now downgraded desktop. Don't waste your money. Other than for those who want to use a touchscreen, I see nothing but disadvantages to the new software. MS must have just needed some money to push this out the door. I won't be installing it on any other computers as long as 7 is available.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#50 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I wouldn't say that. Seems everyone concentrates on the GUI. This goes over some of the benefits.

http://www.winsupers...tworking-144631
http://www.winsupers...features-144698

#51 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

This is now the third OS on my HTPC. It came with Windows XP, I installed Windows 7 when it came out, and this last weekend Windows 8. I can honestly say that I LOVE how quickly you go from cold boot to login - Microsoft did a nice job there. I can only imagine how much faster that would be with a newer machine, more memory and a faster CPU!

#52 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

This is now the third OS on my HTPC. It came with Windows XP, I installed Windows 7 when it came out, and this last weekend Windows 8. I can honestly say that I LOVE how quickly you go from cold boot to login - Microsoft did a nice job there. I can only imagine how much faster that would be with a newer machine, more memory and a faster CPU!

Skip the newer machine, more memory and faster CPU and just throw an SSD drive in there as the boot drive. You'll see a huge improvement. My laptops, both of wich have SSD drives, boot nearly instantly. One is Windows 7 Ultimate and the other is Ubuntu.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#53 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

It was given to me as a gift. After 4 days of use I am looking for a way to go back to Windows 7. Played with the tiles for a couple days and have since gone back to the now downgraded desktop. Don't waste your money. Other than for those who want to use a touchscreen, I see nothing but disadvantages to the new software. MS must have just needed some money to push this out the door. I won't be installing it on any other computers as long as 7 is available.

Install the trial of START 8 and see how that works for you. If it does it is a 4.99 app for windows 8, works very well

http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

#54 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

That's what I am saying. There are actually two IE apps in Windows 8. The one in the desktop is just like the one on Windows 7, with multiple tabs. However, the one from the start screen is one window, no tabs. The two apps don't share preferences or bookmarks but both are called "Internet explorer 10." Very confusing.

The Metro Internet Explorer 10 does do tabs and show Favorites on a non touch system.

After opening IE10 from the start page right click anywhere on the screen. A new menu will appear with a + and three ... symbols. Clicking the + opens a new tab and shows your frequent sites and Favorites on the bottom of the screen.

Also position the mouse to the bottom of the screen and right clicking in the current tab will show the address bar clicking that will display the frequent and Favorites again.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

well, they could have made that a bit more obvious. I see it now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

well, they could have made that a bit more obvious. I see it now.

I agree with you, MS could have designed the app better, they really could have made Win 8 as a whole better.

They should offer a way for users who dislike Metro to disable it and use the Desktop instead. Also when using the desktop it should be the classic Desktop with the Start menu included.

Another thing I don't like is the removal of the Aero effects, translucent glass, and the others. Windows 8 almost looks like an older version rather than being brand new.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16

#57 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I agree with you, MS could have designed the app better, they really could have made Win 8 as a whole better.

They should offer a way for users who dislike Metro to disable it and use the Desktop instead. Also when using the desktop it should be the classic Desktop with the Start menu included.

Another thing I don't like is the removal of the Aero effects, translucent glass, and the others. Windows 8 almost looks like an older version rather than being brand new.

Seriously, there are so many benefits under the hood with Windows 8, that, if they just offered that one simple toggle to disable the Start page and go to the desktop by default, it would be a no brainer to upgrade. Fortunately that app mentioned here, Start8, looks very promising.

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

This may be going down the path of ridiculousness, but what the heck.

Thinking back to the last really big change in the GUI (and I'm not talking Aero), all the way back to Windows 95. I heard complaints back then, along with the start to shutdown jokes. Should they have made it an easier option to use Program Manager as the GUI? Eventually, everyone got used to the new way, and even liked it.

I wonder if the same will happen with Metro?

#59 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thinking back to the last really big change in the GUI (and I'm not talking Aero), all the way back to Windows 95. I heard complaints back then, along with the start to shutdown jokes. Should they have made it an easier option to use Program Manager as the GUI? Eventually, everyone got used to the new way, and even liked it.

Well what really could be the deciding factor of how the Metro UI takes off is if and how many software developers of popular programs create Metro versions of their offerings.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

The change from Windows 3.1/Windows For Workgroups/NT4 to Win95 wasn't as drastic as the Win7 to Win8 change.

They stopped calling it Metro a few months ago.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall