Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 8 - Any first hand experiences?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Re: the Start Button. I use this: www.windows8startbutton.com
It gives me the classic Windows 7 start screen with all its goodies and shut down.
I still have the capability to revert to the Windows 8 interface if I so desire.
So far, I've found Windows 8 to be stable. I've also discovered at least one program that works with Windows 8 that did not work with Windows 7 -- Nikon's Picture Project photo editing software.
I have one hardware related problem: my Seagate 1 TB Backup Plus drive fails to be recognized more often than not - the drive apparently tries to initialize before my WD USB3 adapter has been started. This is a common problem with Backup Plus drives (regardless of OS) that Seagate fails to acknowledge (just check their forums). They have yet to release a USB3 adapter for the drives.
One other quirk: upon startup, I get a good connection with my Netgear dual band wireless network adapter, but it quickly goes away and the system then goes through the process of hunting for a connection again and establishes it. This is on the 5 GHz radio -- I haven't tried on 2 GHz.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Why is it bad for business? Because businesses aren't going to up and reinvest in touchscreens overnight. Many business PCs are 3+ years old and that's a problem. Using Win8 "the way they want you to" requires a touchscreen or extremely large touchpad.

If I "had" to use Win8 for work I would install Start8 or any of the other Start Screen replacements and simply use it as I used a Windows 7 device. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Microsoft's new OS.

I have spent a lot of time with 8 at home, and I've learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts that help. Not that keyboard shortcuts are really the best way to go... isn't that why people got mice? But nonetheless I figured out how to show a clock when I want one, I installed Chrome so I don't have to use the bizarrely nonfunctional Internet Explorer version in the "Windows Store environment" (or whatever they call it) and by and large I ignore the start screen because the live tiles are a huge distraction when I'm trying to get things done.

Pretty sad when the best feature of a flagship OS is that you can pretty much make it look and act like the old one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#123 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Why is it bad for business? Because businesses aren't going to up and reinvest in touchscreens overnight. Many business PCs are 3+ years old and that's a problem. Using Win8 "the way they want you to" requires a touchscreen or extremely large touchpad.

If I "had" to use Win8 for work I would install Start8 or any of the other Start Screen replacements and simply use it as I used a Windows 7 device. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Microsoft's new OS.

I have spent a lot of time with 8 at home, and I've learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts that help. Not that keyboard shortcuts are really the best way to go... isn't that why people got mice? But nonetheless I figured out how to show a clock when I want one, I installed Chrome so I don't have to use the bizarrely nonfunctional Internet Explorer version in the "Windows Store environment" (or whatever they call it) and by and large I ignore the start screen because the live tiles are a huge distraction when I'm trying to get things done.

Pretty sad when the best feature of a flagship OS is that you can pretty much make it look and act like the old one.

Maybe I'm just a fan but I could see how Metro would make a great office environment. The ability to just have all of the programs you need on the front page of metro.

Live tiles can be disabled just by right clicking on them and turning off the live updates.

I do agree that the metro IE is a waste of time and they should have just used the regular version if it's installed. If they had forced everyone to use metro to start without a destop option then it would have even more complaints. However I think that once people start to customize it they will start to see the benefits of it.

The largest reason's that companies won't adopt it immediately is the same reason they didn't adopt Vista, or 7. It has to do more with their support level rather than what's out there now. Then there's the whole custom software aspects. Microsoft could give companies free licenses for a year to swap early and most large companies would not do it because of security and program compatibility reasons.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#124 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

from what I've seen of it it's just another product in microsoft's "we want to go out of buisness" plan..
ie9 is a joke, 10 even worse.. why make a web browser that can't view the web that's out there?
now they build win8 and make it for a 3yr old kid..that kind of main screen is for things that don't have enough power to run multiple things.. that's why we use them on phones and tablets.. you have to dump/switch/reload stuff.. on a PC you leave them running and just switch view..

my OS is for running programs, I don't really care what it looks like.. there are some new things in 7 that I like but really the win98se look worked fine too.. I could get to programs, switch quickly, and copy/paste between them..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#125 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Maybe I'm just a fan but I could see how Metro would make a great office environment. The ability to just have all of the programs you need on the front page of metro.

I'm taken back to GEOS on the Commodore 64.

I'm not convinced that being able to see a relatively large tile is ultimately a more effective representation of what's going on than the tabs in the Taskbar.

Extra (or longer) steps in navigation abound; a hallmark of later versions of Windows (especially the Control Panel).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#126 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Shades228, keep fighting the good fight. As of yet you're the only person I know who actually likes Windows 8 for what it is. I'll disable all the live tile functionality, that's a good idea. Might even try to find a clock app.

Overall I am reminded to Apple's switch to the G3 processors about 14 years ago. It was a good computer, if you bought a floppy drive, a keyboard with all the function keys, a functioning mouse, a zip drive (hey, it was 1998) and the adapter you need to use a VGA monitor. Then you had a functioning computer.

In a predictable move, Apple appeased professional users in the next generation, bringing back a usable mouse and keyboard, allowing for internal zip drives, industry standard monitor ports and hey, they even decided not to make the computer bright blue. Microsoft, are you listening and learning?

This is like that. Start with Windows8, put the start button back on the desktop, turn off the live tiles, buy a huge touchpad, possibly a second monitor, and hey you might have all the functionality you had last week provided you are willing to learn the new gestures and keyboard shortcuts.

Change is good. Change that makes people more productive and more engaged is good. Change that removes productivity and makes people wonder why they bothered is not.

#127 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've been setting a new laptop this weekend with Windows 8. It's a mistake to put it on a non-touch device.

That being said, the absolute best thing to know about Windows 8 is "Windows Key + X".
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#128 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've been setting a new laptop this weekend with Windows 8. It's a mistake to put it on a non-touch device.

That being said, the absolute best thing to know about Windows 8 is "Windows Key + X".

Agreed.
My $.02 something like Start8 is required and makes it perfectly workable.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#129 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

one thing I read about Windows 8 that sounded interesting is that the built in mail client supports ActiveSync.

I was thinking users could use that instead of Outlook offsite and wouldn't need Outlook Anywhere anymore.

Of course the Mail client makes you sign on to a Microsoft account so that sucks.

I guess I would need Outlook 2013 for that feature.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#130 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I've been trying to use Mail with an Exchange account but it's kind of a drag. Even the web client for Outlook is better. In fact using Mail with multiple accounts is an exercise in hair pulling. You'll get an audio cue that you have a message but have no idea what account it's on, so you have to keep pushing buttons until you find it.

spam firewall