Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I just made the call about an hour ago.
Out of contract since 12/31/12, currently with 1xH24/2xHR24/Whole-Home Deca that was upgraded on 12/31/2010.
I also had a credit that expired last month, so current bill is at ~ $101 for Choice Extra Classic with 3 rooms.

Called and immediately asked to speak with retention. Lady was very nice and polite, and seems to "know the business". I told her upfront that I am interested in replacing one HR24 with HR34. She offered to keep the two HR24 and get Genie instead of the H24 in the bedroom. I said that I probably won't do that because:
1. it involves installation (new LNB and switch)
2. Not sure I want a DVR in the bedroom; the H24 is quiet, I am afraid that a hard drive will be too loud.
3. If recording seven channels simultaneously is not enough for a family of four, I don't know what will...

Right of the bet she offered to send me HR34 for self swap for $49 ($250 off of $299). No need to send an installer. Everything else remains the same.
I asked about lowering the bill/promotions. She said nothing they can apply at this time with the upgrade. If I wasn't upgrading, she could give me $25 off for 12 months.

So, $49 for Genie is a good deal, IMO, and very simple - no need for appointment, etc.
At the same time, it really upsets me that for a lower monthly bill I can get more if I switch to DISH (right now they offer the Sling box for one time $49). Their hard drive is larger.
I told her that, I said I really like D*, been with you for 9 years and I can get more but I don't want to go through the hassle and at the end of the day I also need to look at the bottom line each month. Nothing she could do.

I guess I am gonna have to give it a real thought. Both options are tempting. I could probably save over $200 a year if I go to DISH.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

You can put an insanely large drive on the HR34. Not built in, but can be done.

#183 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

You can put an insanely large drive on the HR34. Not built in, but can be done.

Is it similar to the HR24, where you need to select which is used (internal OR external)?
Honestly, the 1TB or 2TB by itself is not a real deal breaker for me. We don't usually fill it up with hundreds of hours and leave it there. It's just that the bottom line apple-to-apple is more attractive with Dish, not including the hassle of a new installation of course.

#184 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

It is currently exactly the same,only difference is the capacity cap is removed.

Of course it's always possible this changes in the future.

#185 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

I just made the call about an hour ago.
Out of contract since 12/31/12, currently with 1xH24/2xHR24/Whole-Home Deca that was upgraded on 12/31/2010.
I also had a credit that expired last month, so current bill is at ~ $101 for Choice Extra Classic with 3 rooms.

Called and immediately asked to speak with retention. Lady was very nice and polite, and seems to "know the business". I told her upfront that I am interested in replacing one HR24 with HR34. She offered to keep the two HR24 and get Genie instead of the H24 in the bedroom. I said that I probably won't do that because:
1. it involves installation (new LNB and switch)
2. Not sure I want a DVR in the bedroom; the H24 is quiet, I am afraid that a hard drive will be too loud.
3. If recording seven channels simultaneously is not enough for a family of four, I don't know what will...

Right of the bet she offered to send me HR34 for self swap for $49 ($250 off of $299). No need to send an installer. Everything else remains the same.
I asked about lowering the bill/promotions. She said nothing they can apply at this time with the upgrade. If I wasn't upgrading, she could give me $25 off for 12 months.

So, $49 for Genie is a good deal, IMO, and very simple - no need for appointment, etc.
At the same time, it really upsets me that for a lower monthly bill I can get more if I switch to DISH (right now they offer the Sling box for one time $49). Their hard drive is larger.
I told her that, I said I really like D*, been with you for 9 years and I can get more but I don't want to go through the hassle and at the end of the day I also need to look at the bottom line each month. Nothing she could do.

I guess I am gonna have to give it a real thought. Both options are tempting. I could probably save over $200 a year if I go to DISH.

Or call back and ask another retention rep.

#186 OFFLINE   tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I called last month after being out of contract for over a year. Had 3 receivers on a SWIM system and no whole home yet and wanted to go whole home or add the Genie for my wife for Xmas. I first asked what offers were available to me and was told by the very nice CSR that he could give me $10 off for 12 months. I was surprised, but realized I hadn't asked for anything else yet. I then told him I wanted to upgrade to whole home and asked if the Genie I was seeing in commercials was available to me (after reading it only went to new customers.) He said that he would check that for me and returned to say I could get the Genie for $99, then changed it to free without me asking. We chatted about keeping two DVRs vs. changing to clients, then I ordered the Genie. I believe he told me it would require an installer (maybe said it was suggested) but I agreed to installation for $49. He assured me that I would only see a one-time charge of $49 and then $3/mo. for the whole home. He also assured me that I would still get the $10/mo off, but couldn't offer a confirmation number, he said he could only note it on my account.

Install was scheduled for the next Wed morning. The installer was on time and a true professional in an actual D* vehicle! He looked over the system and said he was going to change the dish due to hail damage from 2 years prior. He got the HR34 installed and had a problem he had to call in about. He was reminded that due to a total of 9 tuners he would have to install a multiswitch for anything over 8 tuners. He added the multiswitch, changed the LNB over for 4 cables and then ran one cable 10 ft. to the HR34 saying that receiver needed the strongest signal and he didn't want to risk running it through the existing cable due to length. After 4 hours, a very good guy, cleaned up after himself.

Still waiting for my next bill to see the $49 charge and to see if I'm really going to get $10 off each month.

So my Genie plus new dish and multiswitch was $49.

#187 OFFLINE   fochs13

fochs13

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I currently have two hr22-100 and two hr20-700 receivers. Other than being able to access all shows from any location and being able to watch two shows at once, are there any other compelling reasons to get the genie?

Also, would I be able to keep all of my receivers or would I lose some of them as part of the installation?

#188 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

You can access all shows from any location with your current equipment, just need whole home service (possibly single wire if going full supported).

You can keep your current receivers, add the hr34 for a total of 13 tuners. The hr34 also has 100 series links, larger external drive support.

#189 OFFLINE   fochs13

fochs13

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I called in and have my genie installation scheduled for next saturday. I'm curious if someone can give me an indication on how long the installation will take?

#190 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Depends on your current equipment. Were you already on SWM?

#191 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I called in and have my genie installation scheduled for next Saturday. I'm curious if someone can give me an indication on how long the installation will take?

To many variables to accurately answer. A simple 1-2 hour install could go substantially longer if you get an installer who isn't well trained. Schedule your install for an 8-12 time period.

#192 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I called in and have my genie installation scheduled for next saturday. I'm curious if someone can give me an indication on how long the installation will take?

Mine was a swap..10 minutes. My bros was about 1-2 hours full install, satellite dish and all. His association giving him flack on its fence placement....So now they have to put it on the roof. Associations suck. Anyways, if they did that then id say 2-3 hours. So its hard to say, totally depends on your setup situation. Have fun with your 34. Don't get frustrated it will have a few updates to do before it works right and that will be a few days at least.

Have fun....

#193 OFFLINE   fochs13

fochs13

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Depends on your current equipment. Were you already on SWM?

I am not on a SWM. I do have a saturday appt from 8 - 12, so hopefully they can get it done within that time frame.

#194 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

If they get there near the beginning of the window, I'd think so. At least your HR20s are 700s, reduces some complexity.

#195 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

About 8 months ago I called and looked into getting an HR34 & whole-home added at the same time I was thinking of adding an additional physical location for a TV (the HDTV was already there, but using an on-air antenna only). My memory is that for all in, they quoted me north of $500. I declined to do anything at that time.

I called again yesterday, and enquired about *just* adding the new physical location and a HD non-DVR box for it.

Rep said "let me check something", went away for a few seconds, and when he came back offered me a HR34 + one new client box for it (which covers the new location plus upgrades to HD-capable our last SDTV location for the future), plus whatever infrastructure upgrades are required (including wiring that new location, and since we already have two HR2x, an upgrade to SWM16 as well). . . for $52 (including tax), which they described as the truck-roll fee.

What a difference a few months can make. . . . (yes, my contract expires in a few months). They're coming on Thursday.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#196 OFFLINE   RoundRockJohn

RoundRockJohn

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Happy Ending. I called back, and the upgrade is now $108, with tax. The Rep said the previous guy was crazy, and probably never looked at my account.
This signature intentionally left blank.

#197 OFFLINE   fochs13

fochs13

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

About 8 months ago I called and looked into getting an HR34 & whole-home added at the same time I was thinking of adding an additional physical location for a TV (the HDTV was already there, but using an on-air antenna only). My memory is that for all in, they quoted me north of $500. I declined to do anything at that time.

I called again yesterday, and enquired about *just* adding the new physical location and a HD non-DVR box for it.

Rep said "let me check something", went away for a few seconds, and when he came back offered me a HR34 + one new client box for it (which covers the new location plus upgrades to HD-capable our last SDTV location for the future), plus whatever infrastructure upgrades are required (including wiring that new location, and since we already have two HR2x, an upgrade to SWM16 as well). . . for $52 (including tax), which they described as the truck-roll fee.

What a difference a few months can make. . . . (yes, my contract expires in a few months). They're coming on Thursday.

Awesome! It seems that they have become more generous with their pricing recently. A couple weeks ago I actually had a csr tell me to call back if I ever have questions on my bill and they would see what kind of discounts they could give me.

#198 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I am not on a SWM. I do have a saturday appt from 8 - 12, so hopefully they can get it done within that time frame.

To be honest the fact you are not current;y on SWM potentially makes it much easier. The WB68 multiswitch you currently have will be replaced with a SWM16. The second cables to each DVR will be disconnected, and if you are putting the Genie alongside a current DVR that second cable can be used for the Genie. No cable runs, change some connections and some reprogramming and the job is done.
My Setup

#199 OFFLINE   fochs13

fochs13

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

You can access all shows from any location with your current equipment, just need whole home service (possibly single wire if going full supported).

You can keep your current receivers, add the hr34 for a total of 13 tuners. The hr34 also has 100 series links, larger external drive support.

I'm assuming that the HR34 will replace one of my HR20-700 receivers. I'm wondering if I can pick which one that will be, or is that up to the technician?

#200 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's definitely up to you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...