Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   tramm

tramm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I

Right of the bet she offered to send me HR34 for self swap for $49 ($250 off of $299). No need to send an installer.

That's only the second time I have read a about a self swap/install for HR-34. Is it becoming more available now?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

That's only the second time I have read a about a self swap/install for HR-34. Is it becoming more available now?

If you're already on SWM and Whole Home DVR and you're just replacing an existing receiver with an HR-34 and it will not put you above 8 tuners, they may let you do a self install. If you need additional equipment or if you have a SWM-16, they will not.

#203 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yeah I just had one of my HR replaced and the rep on the phone said it different matter since they were the same models. She said just tell the tech which one to take back.

It was a quick simple install about 30 mins. Would have been 10 mins, but my dish has a very small window to get the signal. I don't have issues with signals, but it usually won't pass the install test of 95%. I ended up having a LNB going bad and the odd transponders were giving errors, so he had to change that.

He also didn't force me to install the supported MRV since my unsupported works fine.

#204 OFFLINE   tramm

tramm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

If you're already on SWM and Whole Home DVR and you're just replacing an existing receiver with an HR-34 and it will not put you above 8 tuners, they may let you do a self install. If you need additional equipment or if you have a SWM-16, they will not.

Thanks for the info. I am on Whole Home DVR and have SWM-16 (5 receivers) and was hoping to swap my main unit for HR-34 eventually. I guess that will be a service call then.

#205 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I am on Whole Home DVR and have SWM-16 (5 receivers) and was hoping to swap my main unit for HR-34 eventually. I guess that will be a service call then.

The reason that they won't do this for people with a SWM-16 is that you're only allowed to have 8 tuners per "side" on the SWM-16. If someone already has 3 DVR's plugged into one side of the SWM-16 (6 tuners) and then attempts to swap one of those DVR's with an HR-34, they'd end up trying to connect 9 tuners to that single side of the SWM-16.

To avoid the inevitable Customer Service calls that would occur as a result of this, they are limiting the "self-serve" option to people who will still have less than 8 tuners once the HR-34 is installed.

#206 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

So last night I placed the 2nd call which resulted in a better outcome.
I asked to replace one HR24 with HR34 and to have a better bottom-line every month. She looked at my account and the bill, ended up with:

HR34 replacing HR24, cost is $300, she gave me $250 right off the bet.
She was not able to process it without installation (even though the previous one last week had no problem doing that) so installation is $49 (or $50...whatever).
She immediately applied a $50 credit on the account so bottom line is $50
In addition - $20 off per month for the next 12 months, which brings my monthly bill to below what I paid up until last month when all my credits expired. That's what I wanted - upgrade and lower bill.

The inconsistency still strikes me though...how come last week I was able to have the HR34 delivered to me for my own swap but could not do anything on the bill, and yesterday she could NOT send it to me for self swap but was able to reduce the bill. Go figure.

Also, she asked me if "a new two year commitment would be a problem for me"...I said "not really a problem, but if we can go without it - sure, I would prefer that", so she said that the only way for her to avoid the 2 year commitment is if I pay the full price of the HR34 ($300). Never heard of that before, at least not when acquiring the toy from them and not from a third-party source.

One thing that was totally new to me, was that I asked her if she could give me a number for installation to see if an earlier window opened up, she said "you can Google 'directv local installation' and you will find the number to the installing company"... :sure:

#207 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

About 8 months ago I called and looked into getting an HR34 & whole-home added at the same time I was thinking of adding an additional physical location for a TV (the HDTV was already there, but using an on-air antenna only). My memory is that for all in, they quoted me north of $500. I declined to do anything at that time.

I called again yesterday, and enquired about *just* adding the new physical location and a HD non-DVR box for it.

Rep said "let me check something", went away for a few seconds, and when he came back offered me a HR34 + one new client box for it (which covers the new location plus upgrades to HD-capable our last SDTV location for the future), plus whatever infrastructure upgrades are required (including wiring that new location, and since we already have two HR2x, an upgrade to SWM16 as well). . . for $52 (including tax), which they described as the truck-roll fee.

What a difference a few months can make. . . . (yes, my contract expires in a few months). They're coming on Thursday.

So after all that. . . guy showed up today, looked around, and said "I'm sorry, but I can't do the job. . . there's snow on the roof." I said, "It's Minnesota in January, and you live here. . . why is this unexpected?". Apparently most new installs are on the roof edge instead of the peak, but we've got 80-100' oaks surounding the house at about 100' yards distance, so that was the only way to get LoS.

Any rate, my entire order is now cancelled, including the nice deal I got, and I have to call back and start over again from scratch. I think I'm going to do that now while it is fresh in their system and they're feeling sheepish about not asking/knowing about that themselves. At the time I made the order, I didn't even know the dish would have to be upgraded, but they should have known.

And, yes, I understand, "safety first". He was telling me a story about a local installer guy just last week fell off a snowy roof. So I didn't give him he11 about it, I just expressed surprise that no one thought to inquire ahead of time.

Edit: CSR I just talked to pinkie swears that their system has all the notes on this transaction, and the deal I was promised, and they will honor that deal when I call back to set it up again after the snow melts off the roof.

Edited by georule, 17 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#208 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I called today to see about swapping a pair of HR24s for one HR34. After much hemming and hawing, the bottom line was $106 and change including tax installed by them. No further discounts offered of any sort. I asked about being transferred to retention, she said she was retention.

All in all not a horrible deal, but without some monthly credits it doesn't make financial sense to me at all from my perspective. I'll do some thinking for a bit to decide what is solely in my best interest.

My current and usual sub level is Premier and I usually get NFLST to boot. I really expected better.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#209 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi everyone, new here, I just ordered DTV last night to be installed in a few weeks, on Jan 27th, giving myself some padding in case I change my mind. I'm breaking up with AT&T UVerse. Anyway...

Question I have is I ordered the HR-34 (Genie) and 1 client with 2 more installed but not active (young boys rooms for future). So I'll get 5 tuners to record on right? The only reason I'd want anymore tuners to record on is if I needed more than 5 at the same time, or am I understanding how it works wrong? I don't get/see why people are wanting 8 or more or whatever...what are you gaining? I can't see me needing more than 5 shows at once, do most of you have more than 5 shows going at one time that need to be recorded?

To me having 5 shows on 2 TVs is plenty. I will have them install 2 more rooms for a total of 4 rooms, but again those are for future use. Even then I guess maybe when the boys get older and want to record their shows 5 could become a limit, is that why you all add more DVRs?

#210 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't get/see why people are wanting 8 or more or whatever...what are you gaining? I can't see me needing more than 5 shows at once, do most of you have more than 5 shows going at one time that need to be recorded?

Well, there are a couple considerations when it is an *existing install*, which is true for most of us (but not for you --see thread title. :) ). One is, D* doesn't do anything particular for you in switching out equipment. You don't get a credit or anything like that. So why give up capability you already have for lesser capability? Both in tuners and storage? Sure, 1TB is a lot, but we've already got 1TB (across two DVRs), and sometimes it feels a little tight.

I don't know how big Uverse DVR storage is, but you might be surprised how you start using your DVR storage once you have a truly big box. It was a surprise to me when I went from a Comcast 160GB to a D* 500GB. It becomes permanent storage for "old favorites", and months-long storage for something I might want to try out (I'm working my way through all 10 eps of "Revolution" now).

D* doesn't seem to even encourage it for upgrade installs --they certainly didn't try to talk me into it, even without offering an advantage to trading in a more expensive DVR box for a less expensive Genie client. They don't seem to see value in churning boxes unnecessarily.

Plus, I think I paid $99 or $199 (I forget which) to get that extra DVR in my intitial install three years ago (first DVR was free; second was a one-time charge).

Their monthly pricing doesn't encourage it either. While there is a monthly fee for each extra box, the advanced services fee (DVRs) is NOT per box, but per account. So it doesn't even save you money that way to consider doing it. (Edit: This para is incorrect --see down-thread for correction)

My wife and I regularly hit conflicts on our two two-tuner boxes. Now, having said that, it might be less so if it was one four-tuner box because of efficiency gains. Maybe we'd be fine with one five-tuner Genie to replace two two-tuner HR2x.

But D* doesn't seem to encourage it, and if we can have 9 tuners and 2TB of storage instead of 5 tuners and 1TB of storage for the same price. . . why wouldn't we prefer to do that?

Those five Genie tuners also include live TV, I believe, so your tuners for records might be less than you think at any given moment if one or more of the other rooms is watching live TV when a record comes up.

Oh, yeah, and stored recordings aren't transferrable. If an existing account gives up its DVR, bye-bye to all your stored recordings. That would have been a deal-breaker for my wife on her DVR, and she told me that (I might have swallowed hard and done it anyway on my DVR).

Having said all of that, that's for upgrades. You're a new install, so your considerations are different.

Edited by georule, 17 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#211 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't get/see why people are wanting 8 or more or whatever...what are you gaining? I can't see me needing more than 5 shows at once, do most of you have more than 5 shows going at one time that need to be recorded?

...is that why you all add more DVRs?

I got 3 DVR's before Whole Home DVR service became available and I recorded the same shows on all 3 of them (my own version of Whole Home DVR). When I get my Genie, I intend on keeping 2 of the DVR's.

There are times when I want to record more than 5 shows at once. Typically, this is Sunday nights during Football season. I'll typically want to record the HBO, Showtime and AMC shows (1, 2 & 3), The Amazing Race (4) is usually on during that time of year and due to CBS's policy of shifting Sunday night programming by whatever amount of time that week's late games run over schedule, that needs to be given at least an extra hour. There is typically something on either History or the Food Network (5) on Sunday nights that I want to record, as well as the Sunday Night Football game (6).

#212 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Btw, can somebody tell me if the H23-600 HD box will be able to see whole-home network and watch stored recordings from the DVRs on that network? The installer guy who was here today (before he backed out of doing the job at all) didn't seem to know, and didn't get around to checking before he pulled the plug on the whole install due to the snowy roof. He did say something about this Genie stuff was all very new to the local office (or maybe just him --he didn't give me a great deal of confidence, frankly, but that never got put to the full test).

#213 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Their monthly pricing doesn't encourage it either. While there is a monthly fee for each extra box, the advanced services fee (DVRs) is NOT per box, but per account. So it doesn't even save you money that way to consider doing it.

Whups, I was wrong about that. There is a lesser monthly fee for additional DVR service (vs a slightly higher fee for the first DVR). I think I'd still rather keep them. They didn't offer a switch-out, not sure if they'd have done a HR2x for Genie-client switch for free, or tried to charge me for the additional Genie client.

#214 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Btw, can somebody tell me if the H23-600 HD box will be able to see whole-home network and watch stored recordings from the DVRs on that network? The installer guy who was here today (before he backed out of doing the job at all) didn't seem to know, and didn't get around to checking before he pulled the plug on the whole install due to the snowy roof. He did say something about this Genie stuff was all very new to the local office (or maybe just him --he didn't give me a great deal of confidence, frankly, but that never got put to the full test).

Yes any hd you currently have will be able to see whole home recordings and if its not capable dtv upgrades it for free. And sounds like it was a good thing it snowed. Lol.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#215 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Yes any hd you currently have will be able to see whole home recordings and if its not capable dtv upgrades it for free. And sounds like it was a good thing it snowed. Lol.

Thanks, that'll make me be able to be a bit more definite about my instructions on what should go where next time, without worrying his pretty little head about conditionals. ;) He actually seemed a bit intimidated that I knew the term "SWiM16" and asked him about it, inquiring in return how I came to be familiar with it.

Edited by georule, 17 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#216 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thanks, that'll make me be able to be a bit more definite about my instructions on what should go where next time, without worrying his pretty little head about conditionals. ;)

I didn't read all the way back but what setup do u have now?

#217 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

I didn't read all the way back but what setup do u have now?

SWM, HR23, HR22, H23, and a D12 (SD). The D12 is going away for a GEnie client. The HR34 is going to go where the HR23 is now. . .and where the HR23 was going was dependent on whether the H23 would "see" whole home or not. Now that I know it can, the H23 can stay where it is, and the HR23 will move to a new physical location not yet wired for DirecTV (there's a coax faceplate there, but it isn't hooked up to D*'s install --I tried it with the H23 to find out; there's already a HDTV there that is currently using an off-air antenna). If the answer had been otherwise, the HR23 would go where the H23 is now, and the H23 would have went to the new location without it being terribly much of an inconvenience for us.

#218 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

SWM, HR23, HR22, H23, and a D12 (SD). The D12 is going away for a GEnie client. The HR34 is going to go where the HR23 is now. . .and where the HR23 was going was dependent on whether the H23 would "see" whole home or not. Now that I know it can, the H23 can stay where it is, and the HR23 will move to a new physical location not yet wired for DirecTV (there's a coax faceplate there, but it isn't hooked up to D*'s install --I tried it with the H23 to find out; there's already a HDTV there that is currently using an off-air antenna). If the answer had been otherwise, the HR23 would go where the H23 is now, and the H23 would have went to the new location without it being terribly much of an inconvenience for us.

So u will get a swim 16. If u don't already have one some some weird reason. Only consideration is if you could have traded the h23 for a client. I like trick play on live which the h23 doesn't have but a client would. But an h23 does have its own live tuner. So its a trade off. Did they offer more clients for free?

#219 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

So u will get a swim 16. If u don't already have one some some weird reason. Only consideration is if you could have traded the h23 for a client. I like trick play on live which the h23 doesn't have but a client would. But an h23 does have its own live tuner. So its a trade off. Did they offer more clients for free?

No, they didn't. I suppose I could ask since I'll have to call again when the snow is gone (which could be in a few weeks, or might not be until April --like I said, a snowy roof in Minnesota in the middle of January is hardly a surprise to anyone who lives here).

Just so I'm clear on what you're saying here. . . pause/rewind/FF/skip on recorded material will work on a whole-home enabled H23. . . but trying that on "live TV" won't? But it will work on live TV as well with a Genie client?

Edited by georule, 17 January 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#220 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

No, they didn't. I suppose I could ask since I'll have to call again when the snow is gone (which could be in a few weeks, or might not be until April --like I said, a snowy roof in Minnesota in the middle of January is hardly a surprise to anyone who lives here).

Idaho here so I understand lol

Protected By... spam firewall...And...