Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   dalime

dalime

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

So you swapped HD DVR's for clients? A bit of a step backwards isn't it?

Genie + 2 clients = 5 tuners

Genie + 2 HD DVR's = 9 tuners

Whole home DVR would allow watching from any receiver(or client) with either setup.

Maybe for some. I seriously don't need nine tuners and that would also require me to upgrade my SWM. The two tv's the clients are on don't get used all that much. They aren't as fast as the genie but are as fast, if not faster, than my old DVR's so I'm good with the setup. Have had zero problems.

HR34-700 -> Elite VSX-43 -> Elite 50" Plasma
C31 -> Vizio 48" LCD
C31 -> Samsung 32" LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Whups, I was wrong about that. There is a lesser monthly fee for additional DVR service (vs a slightly higher fee for the first DVR). I think I'd still rather keep them. They didn't offer a switch-out, not sure if they'd have done a HR2x for Genie-client switch for free, or tried to charge me for the additional Genie client.

Your original statement was correct. The DVR fee ($8.00) is an account level fee. It doesn't matter how many DVR's you have, this cost stays the same. You may be confusing the Whole-Home DVR fee ($3.00) as an second DVR fee. But it's not. If you have Whole-Home service, this fee is $3.00 whether you have 1 DVR and multiple non-DVR receivers or if you have multiple DVR's.

#223 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Your original statement was correct. The DVR fee ($8.00) is an account level fee. It doesn't matter how many DVR's you have, this cost stays the same. You may be confusing the Whole-Home DVR fee ($3.00) as an second DVR fee. But it's not. If you have Whole-Home service, this fee is $3.00 whether you have 1 DVR and multiple non-DVR receivers or if you have multiple DVR's.

You know, I thought so. . but then I looked at my last bill, and got myself confused. Thanks for the clarification.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#224 OFFLINE   skippyfab

skippyfab

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I just switched to DISH with a Hopper and 3 Joeys. LOVE IT! Got all of the equipment and install for free and am saving about $500 a year on my bill. I did call DTV and told them that I was willing to switch if they could not take care of me. I was a 8 year customer, but they gave me a $500 quote and did nothing to budge on it. I called back after I got DISH to cancel with DTV. The retention guy said he wished he had gotten to me before DISH installed. I told him it shouldn't matter who I talk to. They should treat their loyal customers just as good or better than new ones, not like second class citizens.

#225 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

They should treat their loyal customers just as good or better than new ones, not like second class citizens.

110% agree

#226 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I just switched to DISH with a Hopper and 3 Joeys. LOVE IT! Got all of the equipment and install for free and am saving about $500 a year on my bill. I did call DTV and told them that I was willing to switch if they could not take care of me. I was a 8 year customer, but they gave me a $500 quote and did nothing to budge on it. I called back after I got DISH to cancel with DTV. The retention guy said he wished he had gotten to me before DISH installed. I told him it shouldn't matter who I talk to. They should treat their loyal customers just as good or better than new ones, not like second class citizens.

I think its funny that you think your treated like a second class citizen just because they didn't roll over and offer you the world for free when you called. And by the way, if you are in this board, then you know csr roulette and customer retention is where you need to go to get discounts. Not to mention, how many discounts have you had lately from DIRECTV? And don't be surprised in two years when dish doesn't roll over for you then, or makes you do the same you have to do with DIRECTV, which is keep asking.

Good luck with dish though,I do hope they satisfy your needs and have the right channels. That's the important part to me in the end no matter what the equipment or pricing.

#227 OFFLINE   jeffdi89

jeffdi89

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just called in to renegotiate after our initial 2-year agreement ended. Originally had 2 HR-24s, 1 H-24, and 1 D-12. Called in and CSR could only offer $10 per month credit for 12 months - and $299 for upgrade to Genie, but said I could get a free upgrade to a 3rd HR-24 to replace the D-12. I considered this, but told them I still would be getting a significantly better deal by switching and had them transfer me to retentions. Retentions was able to get me the Genie for $49 + $49 installation AND the HR-24 for free (replacing D12 and H24). Additionally, I got an $18 credit/month for 12 months. I thought this was a fair offer and accepted. The whole call was pleasant and painless. I might have got a little more if I had really argued, but I felt this was a very fair offer, and I really didn't want to switch. We now will have 11 tuners which is complete overkill, but it doesn't cost any more, so what the heck:D. Hopefully this will help others when they call in.

#228 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. I wasn't expecting anything free but I sure wasn't expecting them to come back with a $500 price tag. So like you I went with Dish. I got two Hoppers and a joey. I have always loved Direct but that was the last straw. I'm loving the Hoppers. 4 TB total storage and the Prime Time Anytime is awesome. So basically we have 5 free tuners and Prime Time Anytime takes care of our regular channels. Not to bad.

All I was hoping for with Direct was a decent deal. I had been with them for years and also a premiere customer. Oh well it's only TV.

#229 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Just called in to renegotiate after our initial 2-year agreement ended. Originally had 2 HR-24s, 1 H-24, and 1 D-12. Called in and CSR could only offer $10 per month credit for 12 months - and $299 for upgrade to Genie, but said I could get a free upgrade to a 3rd HR-24 to replace the D-12. I considered this, but told them I still would be getting a significantly better deal by switching and had them transfer me to retentions. Retentions was able to get me the Genie for $49 + $49 installation AND the HR-24 for free (replacing D12 and H24). Additionally, I got an $18 credit/month for 12 months. I thought this was a fair offer and accepted. The whole call was pleasant and painless. I might have got a little more if I had really argued, but I felt this was a very fair offer, and I really didn't want to switch. We now will have 11 tuners which is complete overkill, but it doesn't cost any more, so what the heck:D. Hopefully this will help others when they call in.

Welcome jeffdi89! Sounds like you got a very good deal. My concern would be their offer for a free HR24. DirecTV considers all their HD DVRs (HR2X series) as 'equals' and their system can't specify what type of HD DVR to deliver. The Retention department does have more flexibility in what they do, but I'm not sure about this. Did they confirm your order? Did you get anything in writing? I do hope you get your HR24.

11 tuners "complete overkill"? Not around here!

#230 OFFLINE   jeffdi89

jeffdi89

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Welcome jeffdi89! Sounds like you got a very good deal. My concern would be their offer for a free HR24. DirecTV considers all their HD DVRs (HR2X series) as 'equals' and their system can't specify what type of HD DVR to deliver. The Retention department does have more flexibility in what they do, but I'm not sure about this. Did they confirm your order? Did you get anything in writing? I do hope you get your HR24.

11 tuners "complete overkill"? Not around here!

Thanks! And you are correct. They did not specify the HR24, so I may get any HR2X. But that is ok with me. I really just asked whether I should get a C31 client in order to replace the H24 (so I could pause live TV) and she offered the free upgrade to the HD-DVR. I figured that was better than the client in any case, so said ok.

#231 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Great. Just didn't want you to be upset if you didn't get a 24.

I'm assuming they are coming out to do the install (it looks like they have to upgrade you to a SWiM16 because of your 11 tuners). That is good because I think your chances of getting a new HR24 is better from the truck than having DirecTV mail you one.

(I'll have to CC this to my family: they don't think I can be 'nice' to someone from GA! :) )

#232 OFFLINE   jeffdi89

jeffdi89

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes, they are coming to install Friday and will have to upgrade the SWiM. And appreciate the response, especially from a "Gator.":lol:

#233 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

How can they offer a HR34 for $299 for existing customers when I can purchase it myself from eBay for $250 shipped?

#234 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

How can they offer a HR34 for $299 for existing customers when I can purchase it myself from eBay for $250 shipped?

Fine print? You will not own the receiver. I would also check the receiver ID with D* to make sure it's something you can actually add to your account.

#235 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

PFFFT, Just made my first swing and all they'd come off of is a 100 bucks (for self install no less) Hell that should automatically be worth another 50 off at the very least....but nooooooooo.....

#236 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

And to think I paid $400 plus shipping and was happy...

#237 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

And to think I paid $400 plus shipping and was happy...

That's because you have values!

I don't think it's wrong to ask for a deal but to get upset when you have to pay the going rate for something is, as said many times, just self-entitlement.

#238 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm off contract, so no ETF to worry about. I have Dish and Cox advertising free whole home DVRs. CenturyLink is also bringing their PRISM TV service to Phoenix. that will make three offering freebies to switch. Should I wait until after the baptism, go to the mattresses, or Louie's in the Bronx?

#239 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think Cox uses Scientific Atlanta. I wouldn't wish one of those boxes on someone I don't like.

#240 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I think Cox uses Scientific Atlanta. I wouldn't wish one of those boxes on someone I don't like.

I thought SA was bought by Motorola.

spam firewall