Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Nope, Cisco bought it in 2006 for $7 billion. There were rumors last year that they were looking to sell it, like they potentially are with Linksys, but they denied it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Just got off the phone with DTV.

I asked if they had any deals on Genie?

I was offered Genie for $49 ($299 regular price - $250 discount).

I asked if it could just be shipped to me and I would do the swap? I was told no, but he could waive the $49 installation fee.

I declined at this point.

1) I think swap will be easier for me in summer time ... most of the network shows will have ended and I can shift everything else to one of my 2 DVR's so that one can be easily swapped with the Genie and miss a lot of stuff we've recorded.

2) I really don't want to sit around waiting for a tech; this is almost a dealbreaker for me. If they can't ship it directly, I will likely hold off longer.

The rep said he couldn't ship it to me b/c the tech would be bringing me "paperwork" to sign for the new 2 year agreement. That's BS. I've agree to a new 2 year term plenty of times in the past over the phone.

Overall a pleasant and short convo: 9 minutes.

Why do I feel I always do better when I get a US female rep? (it was a guy this time)
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#243 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

The rep said he couldn't ship it to me b/c the tech would be bringing me "paperwork" to sign for the new 2 year agreement. That's BS. I've agree to a new 2 year term plenty of times in the past over the phone.

You're currently at 5 tuners and adding a Genie to replace your hd receiver would put you at 9 tuners. They would send a technician out because they would need to upgrade you to a SWM-16. Paperwork has nothing to do with it. You'll need a technician reguardless based on your tuner count.

#244 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

He was going to swap, not add, so tuner count wasn't an issue.

But yeah, contract has oohing to do with it. I got a genie, self installed, didn't sign anything and am under contract. But I didn't get it from DirecTV. They do tend to want an installer to do it, even though in a SWM environment with a SWM LNB it's simple. I can see if someone has a SWM 16, they might overload one side.

#245 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

He was going to swap, not add, so tuner count wasn't an issue.

But yeah, contract has oohing to do with it. I got a genie, self installed, didn't sign anything and am under contract. But I didn't get it from DirecTV. They do tend to want an installer to do it, even though in a SWM environment with a SWM LNB it's simple. I can see if someone has a SWM 16, they might overload one side.

He didn't specify which receiver he would be upgrading to the genie. If it was one of the HR-24's it would keep him inside the tuner count for the SWM-8. He probably does not want to give up one of the DVR's as no client was mentioned.

EDIT: re-read and saw one of the DVR's being upgraded.

Only thing I can guess on not shipping it is their ordering system seeing that many tuners being used and sending a tech out would keep there from being any issues.

Maybe call again and specify you want to upgrade one of your DVR's to the genie and see if you get the same result.

#246 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Another thing that can hold up a self install is no CCK or no broadband contact from HDDVR's on the account. as the Genie requires one to be on the account for proper/full operation of the unit.
Honestly if I had the change to get a genie free i wouldn't replace a HDDVR i'd replace the HD unit till i hit the 16 tuner cap but i'm a recording nut

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#247 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Another thing that can hold up a self install is no CCK or no broadband contact from HDDVR's on the account. as the Genie requires one to be on the account for proper/full operation of the unit.

The genie doesn't require a connection kit or broadband internet connected. The account is required to have a SWM installed, and if one is not, including the connection kit will apply a SWM to the work order for the technician.
Your comment would imply that those who want the genie could not have it without having active internet.

Honestly if I had the change to get a genie free i wouldn't replace a HDDVR i'd replace the HD unit till i hit the 16 tuner cap but i'm a recording nut

+1 agreed

#248 OFFLINE   smegma11

smegma11

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've had my Genie DVR and client for 3 months and it's going back. It's true it will record 5 channels at once and it's a nice looking piece of equipment but they haven't got it working quite right yet.
The mpg decoder in it is horrible. I have a $2000 tv and in dark pictures the fog in the picture is so annoying from the mpg decoder trying to figure out how dark it should be.
The dtv everywhere will not work on my iphone. If I delete the DTV app and re-install, it will work 1 time then never again. I have spent hours talking to tech support but all they can say is "Are you on the right network?" They don't write the apps and don't have any way to give tech support on them.
The client is the worst. It has to be reset everyday because it stops working with the remote. You push channel up and it acts like you're holding the button down constantly. You give it a quick button push and sometimes it's 25 seconds before it changes channel. A reset fixes it instantly but takes a minute.
The sound from the client will often times be very choppy like you're talking through a fan.
And then , after 4 hours it freezes and has to be powered down.
I have cancelled DTV before and what a pain. I am taking a couple months this time to set myself up.
I had a bad unit before that they replaced and without telling me they extended my contract 2 years. So when my original contract was up and I tried to cancel she said I owed a cancellation fee because of the extension. I explained to her what happened and she said she would fix it.
DTV has their own personal debt collection team and it wasn't 6 days before they were calling me every day saying I owed them $230 when actually they owed me $31. It was a nightmare.
I have only had service with them 3 months this time so I have to cancel my auto pay and cancel the accounts I use to pay them. They will most assuredly try and take what they think I owe them before I get a final bill and am offered a chance to look it over.
I told myself 4 years ago I would never use DTV again. It's my own fault.

#249 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Just got off the phone with DTV.

I asked if they had any deals on Genie?

I was offered Genie for $49 ($299 regular price - $250 discount).

I asked if it could just be shipped to me and I would do the swap? I was told no, but he could waive the $49 installation fee.

I declined at this point.

1) I think swap will be easier for me in summer time ... most of the network shows will have ended and I can shift everything else to one of my 2 DVR's so that one can be easily swapped with the Genie and miss a lot of stuff we've recorded.

2) I really don't want to sit around waiting for a tech; this is almost a dealbreaker for me. If they can't ship it directly, I will likely hold off longer.

Overall a pleasant and short convo: 9 minutes.

Why do I feel I always do better when I get a US female rep? (it was a guy this time)

FOLLOW-UP

Called back today at 4:56pm. (Got a female CSR.) Asked what it would cost to add Genie Home Media Center to my account?

FREE

Asked if they would have to install or could they just ship?

She asked if I was replacing one of the DVRs on the account and I said yes (so total # of tuners would be 8, not 9).

She said yes they will ship (FREE), no install required.

24 month commitment required, of course. I was currently out of commitment. Not a problem -- I've been with DTV for > 10 years, another 2 won't kill me.

Had order # by 5:03

Another 4 minutes to finish confirmation with "3rd party" and agree to 24 mo commitment.

Less than 10 minutes on the phone.

Will get HR-34 in 2-5 business days (FedEx).

Can't wait.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#250 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

CSR roulette at it's finest? Grats on the upgrade!

#251 OFFLINE   BamaPT

BamaPT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Have been having signal issues and decided to inquire about upgrading to the genie while calling in. Got an offer for $150 including install. Went ahead and took the offer but the $49 some have gotten would have been nice :) should have haggled more I guess

#252 OFFLINE   Woof

Woof

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Read this whole thread over the last couple days for ideas.

I called DTV about an hour ago.

I currently have one HR24 and 2 sd boxes in the family, master rooms.
I asked about the Genie and whole home while mentioning the Hopper in my question.
The very nice lady I was talking to looked at my account (OOContract and about a 5yr customer) and said I could have the genie and one of the little connection boxes for free.
The cinema kit would be $99 and the install $49. She convinced me to keep my hr24 and threw in a $10 a month for 12 months credit as well.
I said I'd need to think about it, budget yunno. She immediately offered the cinema kit for free, so total cost is just $49 install. Adding WH increases my bill$3, but with the credit it goes down $7. new 2yr of course but who cares.

Install on wednesday. very cool.

#253 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Called to see what I could get. Genie, two clients, and the CCK for $49 install fee. CSR made note on file I was offered that. I'll call back when my income tax return posts and we upgrade the bedroom TV to HD. (39" Insignia 120Hz LED). Now, what to do with the HR20-700?

#254 OFFLINE   NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have made 3 calls now trying to get some kind of a break on the cost. My first quote was well over $400. I tried a week later and received an even higher quote over $500. On my third attempt I was informed that my contract was up in Nov. and they suggested that I call in Sept. if I wanted any kind of a deal. Not only would I need a Genie but they still would need to hook me up with the whole home system which I currently do not have. That might have made a difference as to why the price quoted to me was so high. Still gets old playing CSR roulette. Guess will try again in Sept. and see what the answer is then.

#255 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have a question. Do they have a monthly charge for using the C31? Is is considered like having another receiver?

#256 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I have a question. Do they have a monthly charge for using the C31? Is is considered like having another receiver?

Yes, each client has a $6/mo charge just like the mirroring fees on receivers.

#257 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the information.

#258 OFFLINE   wvumatt

wvumatt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I called and simply asked the prompt about when my contract would run out. When I got the rep, I mentioned Dish and the Hopper and asked when contract was up knowing that it would be in next couple of weeks. The CSR was A very nice young lady and immediately offered the Genie plus one of the c31's which will join my two DVR's and replace 2 HD receivers. The cost was free including install of SWIM 16. She gave me another $10 off HBo for 12 months, $5 off Sports for 6 months, credit on whole home fee for 6 months, and DVR fee credit for one year. I already had a $20 per month credit for 1 year and HD free for my second two year period. I did agree to a new 2 year commitment which is no issue to me. I am a yearly Sunday Ticket customer but never pay full price,most I ever have paid is 1/2. I was nice, played dumb and didn't have to ask for any of this, it was just offered. Third party verification confirmed all and told me that I had the movers package. WhenI checked my account, I discovered I had received the "movers deal.". Installation is Wednesday.

#259 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I called and simply asked the prompt about when my contract would run out. When I got the rep, I mentioned Dish and the Hopper and asked when contract was up knowing that it would be in next couple of weeks. The CSR was A very nice young lady and immediately offered the Genie plus one of the c31's which will join my two DVR's and replace 2 HD receivers. The cost was free including install of SWIM 16. She gave me another $10 off HBo for 12 months, $5 off Sports for 6 months, credit on whole home fee for 6 months, and DVR fee credit for one year. I already had a $20 per month credit for 1 year and HD free for my second two year period. I did agree to a new 2 year commitment which is no issue to me. I am a yearly Sunday Ticket customer but never pay full price,most I ever have paid is 1/2. I was nice, played dumb and didn't have to ask for any of this, it was just offered. Third party verification confirmed all and told me that I had the movers package. WhenI checked my account, I discovered I had received the "movers deal.". Installation is Wednesday.

Glad to hear you got a good deal!

Hope you don't plan to move in the next 12 months. :)
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#260 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was only under contract for 7 months and only had an h24, I got them to give me a Genie and c31 plus professional install total $208, not bad. Now I'll have 3 rooms hooked up for D.

Edited by captaink5217, 17 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

spam firewall