Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   ThyKingZG

ThyKingZG

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

been a customer since July, 2012. Still in first two year contract (obviously). First offer a month or two ago was no discounts. $300.

First offer today was $199, told them too rich for my blood. Then offered me $150, i took it.

Install in two days from today.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

i went a different route...................left D* a year ago, they kept bugging me to return, offered Genie, Client..........$0.00........new dish and pay my ETF to Dish-net.

i took the deal, plus $20.00 discount first 12 mo. $10.00 next 12 mo..............

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#263 OFFLINE   ThyKingZG

ThyKingZG

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

got $50 off, after i called back this evening and said you are billing me $99 for a cinema kit i already have......they took it off.

so $99 total, 7 month customer, first two year contract.

#264 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I love the Genie but find the clients to be a bit slow which I guess should be expected. I think I would have preferred another H24 to go with the Genie even if it meant giving up trick play of the C31, the H24 is so much faster.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#265 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I got a genie from amazon for 183.00

#266 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

And no issues activating?

#267 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

nope

#268 OFFLINE   spikor

spikor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

If Directv wants anyone business....shouldn't Installs be free.....instead of $49.00
If I remember right years ago when I had mine Installed by our Local Installer I did not pay anything for for an Install. Since then I switched to Dish......BUT Might switch back in the future. I will have to ask alot of Questions before I decide to Switch back to Directv. Like Install if any costs and what kind of Genie will be offered that is Standard like 1 TB, 2TB or 3 TB.

#269 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

ive been talking to someone who has directv and is thinking of getting the genie....let me understand the new monthly pricing.....$25 a month for the genie....but $10 of that is for the hd fee right....which they can probably get waived if they do like an auto pay.....so really they will only be out $15 a month if they just go with the genie and no clients.....right?

#270 OFFLINE   rtisovec

rtisovec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I upgraded by phone to Genie today. I have an HR-21 with an external 1TB box and 2 other HD receivers.. Really wanted the extra tuners and a faster responding tuner than what I have. $49 for the Genie and 2 clients, install, and I added Starz and Cinemax for $2/month. I've been off contract for a while. Didn't have to do anything to haggle and I didn't reduce my monthly bill, but that's ok (I did try). I need the SWM, so I needed the professional install.

They are sending me the Cinema Kit. I have an old 4 port G bridge that I use also for my receiver and smart TV. Should I use the cinema kit at setup or stick with what I have (I am assuming theirs is an N, and I'm not opposed to getting a cheap 4 port hub to hook to it. (It was free, by the way).

The other question is other than losing my recordings, is there any disadvantage to continuing to use my 1TB external drive vs the one in the receiver? I know I'll lose my recording series by switching over, but I don't want to use the external drive if it will slow down the receiver in any way.

Rich

#271 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

The other question is other than losing my recordings, is there any disadvantage to continuing to use my 1TB external drive vs the one in the receiver? I know I'll lose my recording series by switching over, but I don't want to use the external drive if it will slow down the receiver in any way.

Why are you replacing the HR-21? Move the HR-21 (along with the external hard drive) into one of the rooms with one of the HD receivers and put the Genie where the HR-21 currently is. If you want a client, replace the other HD receiver with the client.

You'll end up being able to record up to 7 programs at a time and you'll have 2 TB of storage (the Genie has a 1 TB internal hard drive, so there is nothing to be gained by using an external 1 TB drive instead of the internal drive. It doesn't cost any more per month to have a Genie, an HD DVR and a client than it does to have a Genie and 2 clients.

#272 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Why are you replacing the HR-21? Move the HR-21 (along with the external hard drive) into one of the rooms with one of the HD receivers and put the Genie where the HR-21 currently is. If you want a client, replace the other HD receiver with the client.

You'll end up being able to record up to 7 programs at a time and you'll have 2 TB of storage (the Genie has a 1 TB internal hard drive, so there is nothing to be gained by using an external 1 TB drive instead of the internal drive. It doesn't cost any more per month to have a Genie, an HD DVR and a client than it does to have a Genie and 2 clients.

I would at least do that till I watched all my shows off the old DVR, and then switch it to a client of some sort.

#273 OFFLINE   xigxag

xigxag

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Very informative discussion here. I wanted to throw out my scenario and ask for advice.

5 year customer, in-contract until November 2013. Have a HR-21 and HR-24.

My 12-month promotional rebates from the last contract ended recently. So I called in today to see if we could rework them to lower monthly bill, sign a new contract, etc. I also wanted to see pricing on switching out current receivers to Genie system.

The Rep quoted me $447(!!!) for the Genie, with no self-install option. She also was unwilling to work on my contract, other than switch to a lower package.

Any ideas on why the quote was so much? That was my first call, but looking to be better informed before I call back in. Can I speak to retention even though my contract isn't up for a while?

How can I determine if my current installation is capable of supporting the Genie whole-home system? I have 4 lines coming from the dish, with two going to the living-room receiver and another to the bedroom receiver.

#274 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

You need an upgrade to SWM, with only one line going to each DVR.

#275 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationEagle, Idaho

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

ive been talking to someone who has directv and is thinking of getting the genie....let me understand the new monthly pricing.....$25 a month for the genie....but $10 of that is for the hd fee right....which they can probably get waived if they do like an auto pay.....so really they will only be out $15 a month if they just go with the genie and no clients.....right?

Correct. That is not Genie-specific pricing, though. It is a result of the restructure from the old pricing of $10 HD, $8 DVR, $3 Whole home price breakdown. It's now $25 for "Advanced Receiver Service" if you have ANY type of HD-DVR on the account. This is for new customers only, though. The new pricing for existing customers is $10 for HD, $10 for DVR, $3 for whole home, so you still get it $2 cheaper than new customers if you signed up prior to Feb 9th, 2012.

Edited by Lugnut, 25 February 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Previous DIRECTV Employee

#276 OFFLINE   xigxag

xigxag

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

You need an upgrade to SWM, with only one line going to each DVR.

Assuming you were replying to me...Is this something I can order/install myself to save money? Where is it physically installed?

#277 OFFLINE   happyj

happyj

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ok, I have read this whole thread trying to figure out the best approach for me, I need some advice prior to next steps.
I currently have HR20's in the master bedroom and living room, R15 in the family room and an SD D11 in one child's bedroom. I want to add another recvr to the other child's bedroom and thought I should look at Genie. I am thinking I should get the Genie to replace the R15, keep the 2 HR's and add two clients for the 2 kids bedrooms. Should I upgrade the D11 and add a recvr for the additional bedroom?

Thanks in advance

#278 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationEagle, Idaho

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Ok, I have read this whole thread trying to figure out the best approach for me, I need some advice prior to next steps.
I currently have HR20's in the master bedroom and living room, R15 in the family room and an SD D11 in one child's bedroom. I want to add another recvr to the other child's bedroom and thought I should look at Genie. I am thinking I should get the Genie to replace the R15, keep the 2 HR's and add two clients for the 2 kids bedrooms. Should I upgrade the D11 and add a recvr for the additional bedroom?

Thanks in advance

Well, first of all, the R15 and the D11 are not SWM-compatible, so those will be auto-swapped to an R16 and D12, respectively when you get the SWM install for the Genie. If your goal here is to get the most rooms in HD and streaming content from the HD-DVRs, then this would be a good setup.

As for upgrading the D11 for the additional bedroom: This would not be necessary unless you wanted to watch recordings and get HD as I stated above, since it will be auto-swapped due to compatibility with the SWM.

Do keep in mind here that your price for the Genie may be substantially higher due to having to get the SWM upgrade with it (normal price $199), but that depends on what you qualify for on your account.

Hope this helps :)

Previous DIRECTV Employee

#279 OFFLINE   happyj

happyj

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, I thought i had the SWM already installed but, will figure out how to check that fact.

#280 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Ok, I pulled the trigger and the install is tomorrow (off contract for awhile). $49 install fee for the Genie, one client, CCK. I forgot to ask about an AM21. Hopefully I will get to keep my current dish.

Edited by machavez00, 25 February 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...