Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks, I thought i had the SWM already installed but, will figure out how to check that fact.

If you have a D11 and R15 functioning, you don't. D11 and R15 will show up with 771 Searching for Satellite Signal if you connect them to a SWM.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   happyj

happyj

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

That was much too easy, I just got home and now I know the answer.
I appreciate the information.

#283 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

That was much too easy, I just got home and now I know the answer.
I appreciate the information.

No problem :)
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#284 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

My 12-month promotional rebates from the last contract ended recently. So I called in today to see if we could rework them to lower monthly bill, sign a new contract, etc. I also wanted to see pricing on switching out current receivers to Genie system.

The Rep quoted me $447(!!!) for the Genie, with no self-install option. She also was unwilling to work on my contract, other than switch to a lower package.

Any ideas on why the quote was so much?

Keep in mind, you don't get discounts every time you sign a new agreement. If they were willing to help you with your bill, that's awesome, but never come to expect it(especially if you've been receiving them).

As for the $447, if they did not have an offer for you and were quoting regular price: $299(Genie) + $99(connection kit with SWM) + $49(installation)
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#285 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Just one more data point: 10-year subscriber, out of contract, was offered the you-pay-only-$49-installation deal (plus a new 2-year contract) to upgrade my one HD-DVR to Genie. Got the SWM system and the HR34-700 installed the next morning.

Unsolicited offers I got from the CSR were switching my Internet service to one of DirecTV's partners (but then he looked in his computer and found than none of their partners offer high-speed at my address), the perpetual HD Extra Pack free-for-3-months offer, and a 6-month discount on the movie channels (none of which I subscribe to) -- I think what I was quoted was $28/month instead of $47/month.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#286 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Another data point with similar results. I got an additional DVR, the HR34, for $49. If your look at the invoice, the HR34 was $49 and installation was free. Also got several offers like Trainman got. I know a few got better deals but this also included upgrading to a SWIM16. Good installer - nice overall job. He was in and out in an hour. FYI.

#287 OFFLINE   andrewj0781

andrewj0781

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

When I called first I was offered $240.00 off. So $59.00 (for Genie) and $49.00 install. Said I had to check with my wife.

Called again to see if I could get any programming credits. I was offered $15.00 off for a year Free DVR for a year. $5.00 off for 3 months and free MRV for 3 months. Again the wife wouldn't give me a yes. So I said sorry Is have to call back.

Finally got her to say yes. Called back and nicely said why do I have to pay install fee I already have the room hooked up (didn't know the extra work) so he said here's what I'll do, I'll take $250 off of the Genie wave in the install fee. So I got it all for $50.00 plus tax.
Directv: (TV)
Choice-Extra , HD Free, Whole Home DVR
1 - HR24/100 & 3 - H24/700

Atlantic Broadband: (Phone/Internet)
Preferred Package - 5Mbps (download) / 768Kbps (upload)

#288 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I got a genie from amazon for 183.00

Just looked it up out of being curious, right now there is one listed as NEW for $149+ $10 shipping.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#289 OFFLINE   danok1

danok1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Just called in..10-yr customer, out of contract. Got Genie, upgrade dish/multi-switch to SWM, cinema connection, install for free!

#290 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Been a while since I've been in this thread but wanted to post my most recent experience.

Called in again tonight to see if any deal was available. First line CSR looked and said that he would be happy to sign me up for the Genie for the price of $299 plus professional installation. Not a chance. Asked him when my contract was up and he said he would have to transfer me and ended up hanging up on me.

I called back and went through the "cancel" cancel" prompts until it kept asking me if I wanted to cancel due to moving and I said no. It sent M to what I'm guessing was retentions.

I told her I was interested in the Genie and if I felt the price wasn't right I'd like to know my contract end date. She looked on the system and came back with Genie and install for $98 and billed to the account as well as offering install tomorrow (couldn't because of work) got Saturday 8am install and contract is obviously 2 years from installation.

I'm happy with that and keeping the 2 HRx units I have for a total of 9 tuners.

#291 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

t as well as offering install tomorrow (couldn't because of work) got Saturday 8am install and contract is obviously 2 years from installation.

I like that...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#292 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Been a while since I've been in this thread but wanted to post my most recent experience.

Called in again tonight to see if any deal was available. First line CSR looked and said that he would be happy to sign me up for the Genie for the price of $299 plus professional installation. Not a chance. Asked him when my contract was up and he said he would have to transfer me and ended up hanging up on me.

I called back and went through the "cancel" cancel" prompts until it kept asking me if I wanted to cancel due to moving and I said no. It sent M to what I'm guessing was retentions.

I told her I was interested in the Genie and if I felt the price wasn't right I'd like to know my contract end date. She looked on the system and came back with Genie and install for $98 and billed to the account as well as offering install tomorrow (couldn't because of work) got Saturday 8am install and contract is obviously 2 years from installation.

They are nothing but a box of chocolates over there...... never knowing from one rep to another what you will get.

Edited by Datagg, 26 April 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#293 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

I've been with Directv maybe 13 years I am guessing and rarely ever get discounts or anything. Last time was the 2 years of free HD that has already expired. Anyways, we had an HR20-700 in the living room and an SD receiver upstairs when the HR20-700 broke.

I called Directv wanting them to help reimburse me if I bought an HR-24 to replace the HR20. They refused but they did offer to give us an HR34 Genie and 1 client for free. I asked them how much it would be to install another client in the master bedroom where no Directv box had ever been before. The lady told me it would be free and she would also give me a $10 credit for a year.

So we ended up with the HR34 Genie, 2 clients, new install in bedroom, $10 off for a year and the tech even moved our dish from a pole to the roof to get better signal and final cost was $0

#294 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

I've been with Directv maybe 13 years I am guessing and rarely ever get discounts or anything. Last time was the 2 years of free HD that has already expired. Anyways, we had an HR20-700 in the living room and an SD receiver upstairs when the HR20-700 broke.

I called Directv wanting them to help reimburse me if I bought an HR-24 to replace the HR20. They refused but they did offer to give us an HR34 Genie and 1 client for free. I asked them how much it would be to install another client in the master bedroom where no Directv box had ever been before. The lady told me it would be free and she would also give me a $10 credit for a year.

So we ended up with the HR34 Genie, 2 clients, new install in bedroom, $10 off for a year and the tech even moved our dish from a pole to the roof to get better signal and final cost was $0

Good deal... Sometimes you get lucky, while others are just flat turned down.  Congrats. Now hears hoping you have no troubles with your 34 and client setup.  Good luck

#295 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Good deal, indeed
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#296 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Question.  Is a CCK mandatory if I upgrade to a Genie as part of a PP upgrade, and keep the HR24 and 2 H25's, and will they charge me for the CCK.  I don't think I have a use for a CCK as I don't buy on demand.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#297 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

With the new HR44 coming very soon, I think I'll wait for that.

#298 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't think I have a use for a CCK as I don't buy on demand.

Most folks are under the impression that the "CCK" is just for VOD.  Having the DirecTV system connected to the internet unleashes a wealth of features, like the tablets and smartphones apps, TV apps..and the soon to come voice control

BTW, the internet connection might not be "mandatory" for the customer, it is however for the tech.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#299 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Most folks are under the impression that the "CCK" is just for VOD.  Having the DirecTV system connected to the internet unleashes a wealth of features, like the tablets and smartphones apps, TV apps..and the soon to come voice control

BTW, the internet connection might not be "mandatory" for the customer, it is however for the tech.

When I first was installed, the tech only had a wired CCK and said there was no such thing as a wireless CCK, and he wanted to charge me extra to run the cables to my router.  At that point I saw no advantage for me to have the CCK,  so I didn't accept t.  However, if they throw a wireless one in at no cost, I'll let them do it.  Otherwise, I'll just run a phone line for a day or two to one of the boxes and then disconnect it.  That's what I've done in the past.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#300 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,597 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

What does running a phone line intermittently do? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall