Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

What does running a phone line intermittently do? 

Absolutely nothing!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

When I first was installed, the tech only had a wired CCK and said there was no such thing as a wireless CCK, and he wanted to charge me extra to run the cables to my router.  At that point I saw no advantage for me to have the CCK,  so I didn't accept t.  However, if they throw a wireless one in at no cost, I'll let them do it.  Otherwise, I'll just run a phone line for a day or two to one of the boxes and then disconnect it.  That's what I've done in the past.

I would never take wireless over wired.  and the tech should have not charge you anything (unless wall fish) to tun the cable for the CCK

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#303 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would never take wireless over wired.  and the tech should have not charge you anything (unless wall fish) to tun the cable for the CCK

Line would have had to be fished.  In my case, wireless would be best.  I stream Netflix with wireless all the time with hardly any issues.  Other than that, I really have no need for a CCK.     To answer the other posters question.  The tech asks that I keep a phone line connected to a receiver for at least 48 hours after installation of equipment.  Other than that, I don't know why that is.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#304 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Wireless works great for me also. Cathedral ceilings here. I Stream to just about every device I have.  DTV always has told me a phone wire is required at all times.  few years back, they made me buy one of those wall routers for the phone line. I still have it in use, yet truly have no idea why.   They used to say it was for dumping PPV orders to them, the days when you could go as far as 10 PPV's until it dumped the info or it locked purchasing.  That was a long time ago.  Anyways, I digress.

Edited by Datagg, 29 April 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#305 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I felt the same way a couple years ago but now, with the strength of wireless signals, I've had no issues with wireless.  I get the same up/down speeds(and server latency) whether wired or wireless.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#306 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

The tech asks that I keep a phone line connected to a receiver for at least 48 hours after installation of equipment.  Other than that, I don't know why that is.

Technicians are expected to get a call back from the receivers shortly after installation.  They can get dinged by their HSP if they don't.  Not all areas work like this but most do.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#307 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

They used to say it was for dumping PPV orders to them, the days when you could go as far as 10 PPV's until it dumped the info or it locked purchasing. 

That is still the reason.  Receivers do a "callback" once a month to dump the PPV's ordered.  If the phone line is connected for 2 days then removed, you'll get errors ordering movies in the future.  If you plan to order online then this should not really matter to you.

#308 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

that may have been true years ago, but with the advancements of wireless technology it works just as fine. You will need a decent  wireless router though nothing too out of date.  

#309 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I say: Phone lines schmone lines. Haven't hooked one up in years. But then I prefer caller ID on the hand set, not on the screen. (Embarrassing when the ID says "$5.99/minute Hotties returning your call")...... :eek2: 

!rolling

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#310 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Line would have had to be fished.  In my case, wireless would be best.  I stream Netflix with wireless all the time with hardly any issues.  Other than that, I really have no need for a CCK.     To answer the other posters question.  The tech asks that I keep a phone line connected to a receiver for at least 48 hours after installation of equipment.  Other than that, I don't know why that is.

In my case I would fish the line if it came down to that, there is no replacement for a wired connection.  As you said, you Netflix streams (adaptive streaming) DirecTV downloads, big difference, I mean HUGE

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#311 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I felt the same way a couple years ago but now, with the strength of wireless signals, I've had no issues with wireless.  I get the same up/down speeds(and server latency) whether wired or wireless.

It is NOT about speed, or latency.  Unless you have Google fiber, your network speed will most likely will be higher than your internet speed.  It comes down to RELIABILITY and here, wired wins hands down.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#312 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

that may have been true years ago, but with the advancements of wireless technology it works just as fine. You will need a decent  wireless router though nothing too out of date.  

While there has been "advances" in wireless technology as of late, nothing change the fact that it is still wireless and susceptible to drop packets and interference from many factors.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#313 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

While there has been "advances" in wireless technology as of late, nothing change the fact that it is still wireless and susceptible to drop packets and interference from many factors.

But that's heavily dependent on the router you have.  I have an Asus RT-N56 and I've had to reboot it twice in 2 years(one time was my fault and had to use WPS).  Other than that, it's been flawless.

#314 OFFLINE   SkyHunterSky

SkyHunterSky

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisville

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Regardless of all these fine comments . If you are bb eligible they should had offered you a wireless if that was what you needed to get a broadband connection. But since you was willing to hookup a phone line temp for 48 hours he may not had cared.

Edited by SkyHunterSky, 29 April 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#315 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

But that's heavily dependent on the router you have.  I have an Asus RT-N56 and I've had to reboot it twice in 2 years(one time was my fault and had to use WPS).  Other than that, it's been flawless.

Exactly, and that same router depends heavily on the wireless technology (for wireless devices of course).  we could go in circles all day long…. :hurah:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#316 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

packets can drop on a wired connection......

But that's heavily dependent on the router you have. I have an Asus RT-N56 and I've had to reboot it twice in 2 years(one time was my fault and had to use WPS). Other than that, it's been flawless.

Absolutely. It is defintely dependent on the router you have. you get what you pay for. too many times people look at how cheap something is when their savings long term is more to just buy the more expensive equip anyways. But sometimes its hard as i can not possibly afford the router you just mentioned lol

Edited by Volatility, 29 April 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#317 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I have this router also.... Without a doubt the best router i have ever owned. Streaming is flawless to all my devices.

Edited by Datagg, 30 April 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#318 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have this rouer also.... Without a doubt the best router i have ever owned. Streaming is flawless to all my devices.

It's pretty aweomse, even aesthetically pleasing, but I really want to try the RT-AC66R to see if I notice much of a difference with wireless-ac.  I doubt I would but at the same time, I love new technology. :)

#319 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would definitely prefer wired than wireless especially whole-home and on demand but everything else should work fine regardless YouTube,Pandora,TV Apps.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#320 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 795 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's pretty aweomse, even aesthetically pleasing, but I really want to try the RT-AC66R to see if I notice much of a difference with wireless-ac.  I doubt I would but at the same time, I love new technology. :)

This is off topic but since it was already opened up, I have an RT-AC66R and I love it. Best router I have ever owned. It runs circles around my old Linksys dual band router. I don't have any .11ac devices but since this was $30 over the RT-N66R I figured I would build a bit of a buffer in for future equipment I will own. The wireless distance is fantastic, even the 5GHz distance! I love it.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

spam firewall