Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

This is off topic but since it was already opened up, I have an RT-AC66R and I love it. Best router I have ever owned. It runs circles around my old Linksys dual band router. I don't have any .11ac devices but since this was $30 over the RT-N66R I figured I would build a bit of a buffer in for future equipment I will own. The wireless distance is fantastic, even the 5GHz distance! I love it.

i was thinking about grabbing this also as I am one to stay on top of the tech, but things working so well now with n56.  best router I have ever owned... yet still I may take the plunge just because. :righton:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

i was thinking about grabbing this also as I am one to stay on top of the tech, but things working so well now with n56.  best router I have ever owned... yet still I may take the plunge just because. :righton:

My sentiments exactly. Sad when you really think about it lol.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#323 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

My sentiments exactly. Sad when you really think about it lol.

It is... Yet us early adopters if you will are nuts..LOL... like when the ps4 and 720 come out, ill be there.... its madness....  ahhhh :rotfl:

#324 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

It is... Yet us early adopters if you will are nuts..LOL... like when the ps4 and 720 come out, ill be there.... its madness....  ahhhh :rotfl:

Ahhhh, can't agree with you there.  I'm a computer man myself.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#325 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Ahhhh, can't agree with you there.  I'm a computer man myself.

I build computers, so im nuts there also.... all tech..Someone help me.... :eek2:

#326 OFFLINE   rtring

rtring

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I am going to go with Dish Network's Hopper unless Directv agree to install Genie at no charge. I am calling today.

#327 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I am going to go with Dish Network's Hopper unless Directv agree to install Genie at no charge. I am calling today.

Cool story bro.  Let us know how it goes.

#328 OFFLINE   blucas95

blucas95

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

How did you make out?

I'm a long time customer (12 years) and spend between $120 and $150 per month and also have had Sunday Ticket every year.  I called back in January and was told $299 (full price) since I still had until August on my current commitment.  The CSR told me to call back in April so I was within 4 months of being out of contract.  I called back last week and they offered me the Genie, Cinema Connection Kit and installation for $150.  I jumped at the offer since it's a savings of $300.  I just didn't feel like fighting them for a lower price.

The installed came out last Saturday and did a great job - even replaced the LNB on the dish which might not have been needed when we saw some strange pixelation on only one channel (A&E).  Loving it so far!

#329 OFFLINE   snowden2876

snowden2876

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Got the Genie and connection kit free..paid $50 instal..Also, got Sunday ticket max for $100..renewed my contract...

#330 OFFLINE   snowden2876

snowden2876

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Also put in a new swm 5 dish..

#331 OFFLINE   Elroweho

Elroweho

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Just signed up for the free Genie upgrade offer which I got via an email from Directv. I was really cautious about what this "free" upgrade would cost so I emailed their Customer Service group a couple of times for no pressure answers. Long story short, I will be getting the Genie, 2 client "minis" the SWM update for about $90 month (Entertainment package and no premiums) The only extra charge is $20 for "delivery". No charge for the install and yes I do have to recommit to 2 year contract, but I was told my price is lock in for the 2 years. I get the works installed August 5th so I'm like a kid at Christmas right now. At least on paper it looks like a real good deal as we were having trouble with the standard DVR (7 years old) and our Directv Remotes were almost completely shot.  So I was going to need to make a move soon anyway, I was a little hesitant to check Dish since I've heard lots of horror stories about them, but Directv has it's fair share too. In general I've been happy with their service and I attribute the equipment trouble with age.

#332 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk, and it sounds like you'll be all set. Let us know!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#333 OFFLINE   dlm

dlm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Have 3 HD-DVRs, an HR20-100, an HR20-700 and an HR22-100.  The 22 is about 3 years old, the others are much older.

I just ordered Genie and two minis to replace them.

I got offered the $99 equipment and $49 install...asked if I could do a self install and since I already had whole home DVR they agreed.  The rep said they were throwing in free shipping which was (according to her) a bit unusual and likely due to how long I have been a customer (since 2003 or 2004).  So, whole thing for $99+tax.

I *think* that's about as good a deal as I could reasonably have expected...the only part I have a slight concern about is not knowing whether it's going to be a 34 or a 44 until I get the box (though, that's not any different than finding out what the installer shows up with).

#334 OFFLINE   ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I upgraded last week. I've been a DTV customer since 2009. My 2 year contract ended in May of this year. Before the upgrade I had a HR20 and a HR22 that I was using whole home in a SWM setup.

I looked at Dish and the Hopper before calling up DTV. I let the CSR know I can save almost $500 this year if I switch to Dish and get the Hopper. He ended up giving me a genie and a client for self install with free shipping. I also got $20 off for a year, $15 off for 15 months, and $13 off for 2 years ($10 HD fee and $3 whole home fee). In total my upgrade cost me nothing, and I'm saving $852 during this new 2 year contract.

#335 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I upgraded last week. I've been a DTV customer since 2009. My 2 year contract ended in May of this year. Before the upgrade I had a HR20 and a HR22 that I was using whole home in a SWM setup.

I looked at Dish and the Hopper before calling up DTV. I let the CSR know I can save almost $500 this year if I switch to Dish and get the Hopper. He ended up giving me a genie and a client for self install with free shipping. I also got $20 off for a year, $15 off for 15 months, and $13 off for 2 years ($10 HD fee and $3 whole home fee). In total my upgrade cost me nothing, and I'm saving $852 during this new 2 year contract.

It happens from time to time when you get a rep that goes that extra mile.. Congrats

#336 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I called about a month ago when Directv started wheelin' and dealin' on deals for NFLST. I got to retention and asked about any deals that might be available for NFLST and an upgrade to Genie. He got me ST for free, but said the best he could do on Genie is to get my system at home ready for it by giving me a free upgrade to SWiM so I could do Whole Home with my three HDDVRs. When the installer upgraded me he told me that he thought I might have trouble with my two older HR20s on the new system. I did and so I called a couple of weeks later and asked a first level CSR if instead of trading in my two old 20s for some more old refurbished HDDVRs, I could trade them in for a Genie and 1 mini (keeping my HR 24 which works great) at no charge. She said she couldn't give me a deal on them, so I asked if she could transfer me to retention. She did and that CSR got me the Genie and mini for free without even blinking an eye. Installer arrived with a 44 and I am digging it!

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#337 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I went through the process for my parents. First I called a local place to see if they could just buy a Genie and just pick it up so I could install it. He claimed that self installs weren't allowed, and that they didn't have any anyway.

So called DirecTV and got free genie and CCK, $50 install. Didn't ask about ST as they wouldn't be interested. Think we're going to replace Dad's box with their current DVR, but he's not too happy with that part of the deal. I told him he can ignore the complicated DVR parts and just use it like his receiver, but he's not convinced. Doing this more for Mom, who a few years ago said she didn't need a DVR.

#338 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

If DirecTV wants me to follow it into a new technological future, there is something it has to do, first.  It has to fix the external disk interface so that I don't have to throw away all my backlog of recorded programs every time I get a new receiver.

Greg

#339 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Pretty sure it's not much of a technical hurdle to do that, Greg, but for whatever reasons, we don't have that, and many of us would like that. 

One should make sure that one's backlog is viewable in a reasonable period of time. Reasonable is up to the individual, but might be tied to desired upgrade timing....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#340 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

My solution to that has been that I just keep my old DVR until I have watched everything. 3 or 4 months is only $18 - $24 so no big deal there.  I definitely want to see external drive portability too but my concern is when a DVR dies and you dont have a few months to watch old recordings.  I know it is a copy protection issue but I would think you could tie the encryption key to the account and not the receiver

My Setup

spam firewall