Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm upgrading on Saturday. They are charging me $199 for the HR34 and one Genie thin client, plus $49 for installation. I have that confirmed in an e-mail from them. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yeah I will have to give them a call and see what they say cause if they are going to charge me $300 bucks and my contract is about to expire, I'll likely be jumping ship.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yeah I will have to give them a call and see what they say cause if they are going to charge me $300 bucks and my contract is about to expire, I'll likely be jumping ship.

If it's within a short time frame, you might wait until your contract is actually up. I wrote elsewhere of some of the factors that may influence what one can get.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

In contract from an SD DVR to HD DVR upgrade until mid 2013. Been a sub for 5 years and I've made several calls to get the HR34 and the best offer I've been given each time is $200 after they tell me it's $300 and I say pound sand they'll come back with the $200 offer and I kindly say no thanks and hang up.

#25 OFFLINE   bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

In contract from an SD DVR to HD DVR upgrade until mid 2013. Been a sub for 5 years and I've made several calls to get the HR34 and the best offer I've been given each time is $200 after they tell me it's $300 and I say pound sand they'll come back with the $200 offer and I kindly say no thanks and hang up.

So I think I am up in early November. My installation was on November 6 2010 so I'm assuming it expires that day. Do i need to wait until that day or should I call now? I know it's only a week.

#26 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

So I think I am up in early November. My installation was on November 6 2010 so I'm assuming it expires that day. Do i need to wait until that day or should I call now? I know it's only a week.

It's just a week, worth a shot and see what they say.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yes, and good luck!

#28 OFFLINE   cyclone27

cyclone27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I was thinking about going to the Genie, but I'm not sure how I would go about it. I have 2 HR-24s and 2 H-24s. Could I just replace one of my H24s with the Genie? Or do I need the C31s to have it work correctly?
5-6 tuners would be fine for me. Thanks.

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I was thinking about going to the Genie, but I'm not sure how I would go about it. I have 2 HR-24s and 2 H-24s. Could I just replace one of my H24s with the Genie? Or do I need the C31s to have it work correctly?
5-6 tuners would be fine for me. Thanks.

You don't need c31's, and with the Genie and an HR24, you'd have seven tuners for recording, and two more for live watching. You'd need a new SWiM to handle 9 tuners, but if you had the 31s, you'd be fine with what you have, assuming you're on Whole home now.

#30 OFFLINE   cyclone27

cyclone27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

You don't need c31's, and with the Genie and an HR24, you'd have seven tuners for recording, and two more for live watching. You'd need a new SWiM to handle 9 tuners, but if you had the 31s, you'd be fine with what you have, assuming you're on Whole home now.

Thanks. Yes. I have whole home now.

#31 OFFLINE   Rugged

Rugged

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I called yesterday and the installer just left. I'm a 10yr customer and I had a year left in my current contract.

genie $299.00
install $49.00
credit $(250.00)
$98.00 total plus tax
plus HD fee free for a year so that's $10x12=120
plus Showtime, Starz, Encore free for 6 months.

net cost is $-22 and a new 2yr contract

#32 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Keep in mind that the upgraded SWM16 that will be needed to handle 9 tuners will also require you to run 4 coax cables from the dish into the house.

I was going to replace one of my 2 H24s with an HR34 to go with my 2 HR24s, but when the installer got there to install I passed and went with a 3rd HR24. I kind of wish I'd have thought to just put one of the HR24s into single tuner mode, but I brain farted.

#33 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Contract was up. mentioned the hopper.. Free Genie installed the very next day. $25.00 instal as it was just a swap. Sometimes life is good.

#34 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Keep in mind that the upgraded SWM16 that will be needed to handle 9 tuners will also require you to run 4 coax cables from the dish into the house.

To clarify this a bit, you need four coax going from the dish to the SWiM16 location, not necessarily inside the house. My 16 is about 6' below the dish on an exterior wall, so the four wires are all located outside.

#35 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

So, I have my install tomorrow. I currently have whole home with three HD DVRs and a SWM8 switch. I will be giving those three boxes back, and adding 1 HR34 and one Genie client. Will he need to run additional cables?

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

No

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Contract was up. mentioned the hopper.. Free Genie installed the very next day. $25.00 instal as it was just a swap. Sometimes life is good.

Must be nice. After 1:15 on the phone with them I got nowhere. My contract is up, but I have only been a customer for 2 years (sporting a HR21 (POS), one HD and one SD receiver with Whole Home DVR)

Summary of what happened........

Called and talked to a rep. Told me it would be $147 to swap out my current HR21 (old piece of crap that is very bad) and my one SD receiver and my one HD receiver for a Genie and 2 genie clients. I said I would have to think that over and talk it over with my wife. He said OK and then put me on hold and came back and said he could actually get me everything for just the $49 install fee. I said sure. Let's do that. Then he said he could also give me an $18/month for 6 months programming credit and Sunday Ticket for the rest of the year. I'm thinking "great" this will keep me with directv and we'll be good to go.

Then the trouble began....He transferred me over to third party verification where they started to go through the description of what I would get and they didn't say anything about the two clients so I stopped them and told them what the original rep said. After a lengthy discussion the rude verification rep that was very confrontational, she transferred me to someone else (presumably back with order processing). I was in the process of discussing what had happened and that person was looking at stuff when we got disconnected (not sure if it was on my phone or their phone). Took 45 minutes for that sequence to occur.

Called back. Talked to a very nice rep that then told me they original guy was incorrect and they couldn't offer me a discount on the Genie at all. All they could offer was another HD-DVR to replace my standard def receiver and a replacement of the HR-21 that is a POS. I asked "what receivers will I get?" and I got the standard DirecTV line about how they can't guarantee the equipment models. The only fee for all of this would be the install fee. He quoted me about $500 to get me what the original rep had offered for just the $49 install and kept feeding me a line about how they are not allowed by directv to offer hardly any credit for the genie even 10+ year customers (a line which is clearly false based on this board). I told him I would talk this all over with my wife and get back to them. This conversation took another 30 minutes.

So after an 1:15 I am right back where I stared. In the end I feel like DirecTV has taken me to the cleaners again and as much as I despise Time Warner they may win our business by simply delivering on what they say.

So after that rant, can anyone offer any advice.

*********Update*********
So I sent an email to the customer advocate group and got a call back right away. They are replacing my HR21 without re-upping my contract. She also offered to replace my SD receiver with the Genie for just the install fee. So I'll give directv some props for good customer service at the top. Wish we could have done it at a lower level, but the people at the top made it better.

Edited by bainbridgematt, 12 November 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Had an order for an HR34 and 2 clients($0.00) that were set to be installed yesterday, but with the weather the tech was not able to install and re-peak my dish. Had a new roof put on Friday. Ending up cancelling the equipment upgrade and having them come out on Saturday morning to re-peak the dish.

Deciding to not sign up for another 2 years and keep my existing DVR's as is. Don't think I will be going anywhere, but I have options should I wish to leave.
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

#39 OFFLINE   nalgon

nalgon

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi bainbridge. Can you send please send me the email of the customer advocate group
Thanks

#40 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Excellent HR34 install and tech. It took him about 20 minutes to install and activate the HR34 and the Genie client. Then he deactivated my three old HR24 Whole Home DVRs, which I confirmed on my i-pad app. He even took the three HR24 DVRs with him when he left so that I didn't even need to arrange for boxes to be sent to me. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...