Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Excellent HR34 install and tech. It took him about 20 minutes to install and activate the HR34 and the Genie client. Then he deactivated my three old HR24 Whole Home DVRs, which I confirmed on my i-pad app. He even took the three HR24 DVRs with him when he left so that I didn't even need to arrange for boxes to be sent to me. :)

Keep tabs on your account. Occasionally, the techs take their time in getting the deactivated IRDs back into the system and I have seen customers get billed non-returned receiver fees. It happens maybe 1 time out of 1000 or even less often, but it does happen. As a customer, I will always return the IRDs myself rather than give them to the tech. I have more incentive to get them back quickly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Just got mine for free install is tomorrow can't wait I love new toys.I also got HD free for a year and 10.00 off my programing package what a great day for me with D*

#43 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just got mine for free install is tomorrow can't wait I love new toys.I also got HD free for a year and 10.00 off my programing package what a great day for me with D*

How many Receivers/tuners did you have before? What package(s) do you have?

I just spent nearly an hour on the phone with who said he was retention. The best deal I could get was $200 for a HR34+ New HDDVR (and associated HW + installation). This is down from the $347 I was offered for the same earlier in the week.

I'm fairly certain at this point, I'm going to switch to Dish. I've been with Directv for a while (2002 I think) and I have a HR20 and HR21 (activated 2007/2008 respectively).

I specifically told him that if I call back to cancel because I've signed up for dish, and the "real offer" comes out, it will be too late. He swore up and down that I would not be able to get a better deal based on my account standing.

10 years
Choice package
HD Package
Rent nearly every UFC fight
No late bills.

Dish would be free hopper + one Joey, all the same channels for $35/mo for 12 mo and then up to 59/mo after that putting my bill to about what it is now/mo.

#44 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

How many Receivers/tuners did you have before? What package(s) do you have?

I just spent nearly an hour on the phone with who said he was retention. The best deal I could get was $200 for a HR34+ New HDDVR (and associated HW + installation). This is down from the $347 I was offered for the same earlier in the week.

I'm fairly certain at this point, I'm going to switch to Dish. I've been with Directv for a while (2002 I think) and I have a HR20 and HR21 (activated 2007/2008 respectively).

I specifically told him that if I call back to cancel because I've signed up for dish, and the "real offer" comes out, it will be too late. He swore up and down that I would not be able to get a better deal based on my account standing.

10 years
Choice package
HD Package
Rent nearly every UFC fight
No late bills.

Dish would be free hopper + one Joey, all the same channels for $35/mo for 12 mo and then up to 59/mo after that putting my bill to about what it is now/mo.

When I called and got the automated system I said cancel and it brought me to this rep that was like no problem this is your lucky day. I have about a 100.00 a month bill not sure what package but have 3 boxes and free NFL ST as well. I would try back and try the cancel thing and see what happens.

Good Luck and remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side

#45 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

When I called and got the automated system I said cancel and it brought me to this rep that was like no problem this is your lucky day. I have about a 100.00 a month bill not sure what package but have 3 boxes and free NFL ST as well. I would try back and try the cancel thing and see what happens.

Good Luck and remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side

I would strictly be jumping ship for the $$ not because I think Dish is going to be better. I hope for similar service quality.

I just want New equipment, and not pay through the nose. If I have to pay $200+ then I don't want to be under contract. It feels like they're squeezing from both ends. Either subsidize my equipment (which I'm likely to keep for another 5 years) and put me under contract or make me pay and don't.

P.S I did say cancel at the automated prompt.

#46 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would strictly be jumping ship for the $$ not because I think Dish is going to be better. I hope for similar service quality.

I just want New equipment, and not pay through the nose. If I have to pay $200+ then I don't want to be under contract. It feels like they're squeezing from both ends. Either subsidize my equipment (which I'm likely to keep for another 5 years) and put me under contract or make me pay and don't.

P.S I did say cancel at the automated prompt.

I would call back again it took 4 calls for me to get ST free this year. You have to play CSR roulette sometimes but I think most agree it does work. I would also mention you saw on the internet that people were getting it for free. I try to be real nice to them and get them to want to help you out.

#47 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I would call back again it took 4 calls for me to get ST free this year. You have to play CSR roulette sometimes but I think most agree it does work. I would also mention you saw on the internet that people were getting it for free. I try to be real nice to them and get them to want to help you out.

I appreciate your feedback. I have generally been very happy with DTV and they have always been nice to me. I do believe that the people that always have problems with everyone are in reality the actual problem. I always try to treat any csr with honesty because it just works.

I'll try one more time before I call Dish. (Will be call #3)

#48 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Mention that you are looking at the Hopper and DISH.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#49 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I appreciate your feedback. I have generally been very happy with DTV and they have always been nice to me. I do believe that the people that always have problems with everyone are in reality the actual problem. I always try to treat any csr with honesty because it just works.

I'll try one more time before I call Dish. (Will be call #3)

Good Luck

#50 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I guess another unsuccessful call. I called, explained what I wanted and after being put on hold for about a solid 5 minutes he came back with a $149 for everything installed. That is a Genie and the client (CL31?). I don't really need a second DVR so that is what I was originally after.

I explained to him that I could (and would) switch to Dish for free, and even save some money for the next 12 months. I explained that I talked to someone today that got the deal I wanted for free.

He seemed to believe me, and understand, but wouldn't go below $149. I did ask him about what I needed to do once I schedule my Dish install.

I made it clear that after I hung up, and called Dish to set up an appointment for their install, there would be nothing they could do to sway me back. He said he understood, and that price he gave me would be good for 5 days.

Closer but still don't understand why some get free, others don't.

#51 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I was offered a free HR34 when I called to get ST a few months ago. I declined when they informed me self install was not an option. I've always installed my own Directv equipment since 1995. Ordered an HR34 from Solid Signal for $349 on Thursday along with a SWM 16 from EBay. I will install Thanksgiving week. Paying for equipment is worth it to me to avoid the CSR and Tech roulette that is so well documented here.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I guess another unsuccessful call. I called, explained what I wanted and after being put on hold for about a solid 5 minutes he came back with a $149 for everything installed. That is a Genie and the client (CL31?). I don't really need a second DVR so that is what I was originally after.

I explained to him that I could (and would) switch to Dish for free, and even save some money for the next 12 months. I explained that I talked to someone today that got the deal I wanted for free.

He seemed to believe me, and understand, but wouldn't go below $149. I did ask him about what I needed to do once I schedule my Dish install.

I made it clear that after I hung up, and called Dish to set up an appointment for their install, there would be nothing they could do to sway me back. He said he understood, and that price he gave me would be good for 5 days.

Closer but still don't understand why some get free, others don't.

Curios, when was the last time you got any discount from them? And how often do you call to get discounts?

#53 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Curios, when was the last time you got any discount from them? And how often do you call to get discounts?

I found out that I do have two "discounts" right now that are about to expire in 2 months (so 10 months ago). The last "favor" I got from directv was about 3-4 months ago we called because of signal issues. They sent someone out for "free" because we've been with them for a while.

I do tend to watch for monthly discounts, and rarely accept any of the "free for 3 months" deals.

#54 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I also had a discount going not sure why they played hardball with you if it were I I would keep calling if I really wanted to stay with D*

Good luck with Dish and hope you enjoy it.

#55 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 796 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I was offered a free HR34 when I called to get ST a few months ago. I declined when they informed me self install was not an option. I've always installed my own Directv equipment since 1995. Ordered an HR34 from Solid Signal for $349 on Thursday along with a SWM 16 from EBay. I will install Thanksgiving week. Paying for equipment is worth it to me to avoid the CSR and Tech roulette that is so well documented here.

I just find it hard to understand why someone would pay $349 for the HR34 + the cost of a SWM16 ($100 or less if you got it on ebay? so around $450/500?) when they would have given you the HR34 free. You have a two year commitment either way.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#56 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I just find it hard to understand why someone would pay $349 for the HR34 + the cost of a SWM16 ($100 or less if you got it on ebay? so around $450/500?) when they would have given you the HR34 free. You have a two year commitment either way.

If only that were all true all the time given similar circumstances. The same person can call in 5 times and get 5 different offers. There's definitely no guarantee that RD would have been offered a free HR34 or even discounted for that matter.

The whole system is beyond frustrating because of the wild inconsistency. More than once I've considered just hitting Solid Signal myself for the same reasons stated by RD. I might come out ahead playing roulette with the CSR's but at the expense of how much time and frustration. Plus I've had some bad install experiences in the past, the extra expense pretty close to worth it for me just not to have to deal with the quality of techs that have been to our place in the past...
ID10T or PEBCAK, there can be more than one...

My Current Setup

#57 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 796 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

If only that were all true all the time given similar circumstances. The same person can call in 5 times and get 5 different offers. There's definitely no guarantee that RD would have been offered a free HR34 or even discounted for that matter.

The whole system is beyond frustrating because of the wild inconsistency. More than once I've considered just hitting Solid Signal myself for the same reasons stated by RD. I might come out ahead playing roulette with the CSR's but at the expense of how much time and frustration. Plus I've had some bad install experiences in the past, the extra expense pretty close to worth it for me just not to have to deal with the quality of techs that have been to our place in the past...

That's actually an excellent point, regarding inconsistency. Sigh.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#58 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

There's definitely no guarantee that RD would have been offered a free HR34 or even discounted for that matter.

Certainly there is no guarantee, and calling multiple times often gets you multiple answers. But in this case, he was offered a free 34 along with ST. He declined because they wouldn't let him do a self-install.

#59 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yesterday I signed up for Dish. 1 Hopper, and 2 Joey's no cost to me for hardware or install. When everything is all said and done my Monthly bill will be pretty similar to my current DTV bill (after my 12mo promotion price) that has $18 in monthly discounts.

After setting up my account and scheduling my Install date, I called DTV to have my service cancelled on the same day. This would now be the 4th retention agent I talked with in the last 7 days. He told me the $149 I was offered last time didn't include the *required* cinema kit. The best he could come up with was in the neighborhood of $16X.

I let him know my call wasn't a ploy to get a better price. That I had already signed up for Dish based on my previous call to them. In the end it appears they lost me as a 10 year customer over an equipment upgrade. The Retention CSR was very polite and seemed concerned about not being able to get me the deal, but was unwilling to step out of bounds to match what I could get by changing providers.

So, I'll have new equipment (certainly better than what I have now, and depending on who you ask, not as good or better than the Genie). a new 24mo agreement with the first 12 months at a decent discounted rate.

Hopefully all goes well...

#60 OFFLINE   Smitty20

Smitty20

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Called today. Said the Hopper sounded like a good solution for my set-up, but I heard the Genie could do the same thing and that I would rather stay with DTV if I could.

CSR checked me account. Came back with Genie and 2 clients with installation for free. Will combine with 2 legacy HD-DVRs.

spam firewall