Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well as a follow up to my earlier posts. My Dish install was yesterday. One hopper and two Joey's

The Dish Installer was able to reuse the existing DTV mount, and everything went smooth. We did have to run two new lines since he accidentally chunked up the existing one with his drill trying to make a second hole... Very happy with the Hopper and Joey setup so far. The thing is SOOO fast it's crazy. The thing moves as fast as you can command it.

I put one Joey behind the Master Bedroom TV and it's streaming from the Hopper via hard wired gigabit only, no coax. pretty sweet. And since the Hopper is in the basement I routed the antenna (coax) up stairs and that works quite well.

Might actually retire my Harmony and just use the UHF remotes. Time will tell.

Time will tell how everything works out but I'm quite happy with the change, and the free equipment upgrade.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

I was offered a free HR34 when I called to get ST a few months ago. I declined when they informed me self install was not an option. I've always installed my own Directv equipment since 1995. Ordered an HR34 from Solid Signal for $349 on Thursday along with a SWM 16 from EBay. I will install Thanksgiving week. Paying for equipment is worth it to me to avoid the CSR and Tech roulette that is so well documented here.

Why? You don't own the equipment. Why pay SS $349 for an HR34 that you don't own, when you can pay D* $199 for one as I did? You still have to activate it with D* whoever you get it from, and D* owns the device.

I paid a total of $248 for an HR34, a Genie thin client, a full install of both devices, and the tech deactivating and removing my three HR24 DVRs so that I didn't have to get boxes shipped to me in order to return the DVRs.

The whole process, including activation of the HR34 and the Genie client, took about 30 minutes, and the tech left with my old DVRs.

I have purchased from the excellent Solid Signal in the past in order to guarantee getting the model of DVR that I desired, but with the HR34, why pay SS $349 when you can pay D* $199? :)

#83 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I just tried this yesterday for my neighbor. He was upgrading from an old SD only account with just one standard def receiver, and the old Total Choice package.

My results weren't as good as some on here. I was only able to get them to come down to $149 for the HR34, one C31 client for free, and one C31 client for $99. So $248 out of pocket total. Then of course the new HD, DVR, MRV, and two additional receiver fees for another $33/month. My neighbor was not willing to do that.

So I kept talking to them and was able to get one HD-DVR and two HD receivers for free instead of the HR34 and C31 clients. To offset the increase in the monthly fees the CSR changed him over to the current choice package, and was able to give him a $27/month discount on his service for a year. So now his bill should only go up by $6/month for the next year, then it will jump up the remaining $27 dollars.

I guess even though he has been a customer for around 15 years, his low package, and only having one receiver didn't give him a good enough rating to get them to give a better deal on the Genie setup. I'm hoping he is happy with what he got in the long run though. They have never had a DVR before, and I told him once he gets one and starts using it I'm sure he will see that the $11/month cost is probably going to be worth it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#84 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Why? You don't own the equipment. Why pay SS $349 for an HR34 that you don't own, when you can pay D* $199 for one as I did? You still have to activate it with D* whoever you get it from, and D* owns the device.

I paid a total of $248 for an HR34, a Genie thin client, a full install of both devices, and the tech deactivating and removing my three HR24 DVRs so that I didn't have to get boxes shipped to me in order to return the DVRs.

The whole process, including activation of the HR34 and the Genie client, took about 30 minutes, and the tech left with my old DVRs.

I have purchased from the excellent Solid Signal in the past in order to guarantee getting the model of DVR that I desired, but with the HR34, why pay SS $349 when you can pay D* $199? :)

My previous explanation when asked earlier on in the thread:

In addition to those reasons I already mentioned, personal preference and the joy of doing things myself. I could protest the current Directv model of no self-installs but that is the company's preference. Two years doesn't matter, been a customer since 1995 and I'm not going anywhere. Probably not economically sensible (it's just money and what entertainment is a sensible investment?) but the peace of mind is priceless. Did my self-install today. Had to put the old LNB back on the dish (I had installed a SWiM LNB a few years ago) so I would have four inputs into the SWiM 16. Moved a few receivers around and installed the Genie. Called to activate and everything is great. What a nice machine. The wife, daughter and myself are thrilled that we now have nine available tuners to record on. No more recording conflicts.

#85 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I just called to get a genie but the csr didn't understand that i had no indention on paying a bloody cent on the freaking thing when i can get a hopper for free.I am a long time sub, 13 years whit a spotless payment record because of auto pay.

I am not complaining i understand that the they can only do what they are told to do but i am thinking about leaving pay tv and just using the antenna but i have to check with my better half epically when she is now paying for Directv, it is like the double whammy lose Directtv lose Gf of 13 years.

Well i guess i am complaining but what c an i do jump out the freeking window
i only breaa ancle or something:nono:

#86 OFFLINE   Jimbos G

Jimbos G

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

My previous explanation when asked earlier on in the thread:

In addition to those reasons I already mentioned, personal preference and the joy of doing things myself. I could protest the current Directv model of no self-installs but that is the company's preference. Two years doesn't matter, been a customer since 1995 and I'm not going anywhere. Probably not economically sensible (it's just money and what entertainment is a sensible investment?) but the peace of mind is priceless. Did my self-install today. Had to put the old LNB back on the dish (I had installed a SWiM LNB a few years ago) so I would have four inputs into the SWiM 16. Moved a few receivers around and installed the Genie. Called to activate and everything is great. What a nice machine. The wife, daughter and myself are thrilled that we now have nine available tuners to record on. No more recording conflicts.

LOL. DirectTV wishes all customers were like you ! Pay for equipment even though they offered it to you for free, install yourself for the joy of it and pay your monthly bill with a smile on your face ;)

I'm also a 15 year customer on Auto-pay and the best deal I could get was $100 discount for the Genie. I'm not too concerned though, I figure I'll give it some time and eventually I'll be offered a free upgrade.

#87 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Last Sunday I got my HR34 installed.
Genie was free, but had to pay $49.00 for install.
I too have done all prior installs myself.
The $49.00 turned out to be a massive bargain!

dish needed to be re-peaked
prior installer never grounded dish, that was done
New LNB
new splitters
SWiM 16
Green 4 way splitter
DECA units
new wire runs
7 hours of work

WOW!:grin:

Edited by SteveHas, 02 December 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Last Sunday I got my HR34 installed.
Genie was free, but had to pay $49.00 for install.
I too have done all prior installs myself.
The $49.00 turned out to be a massive bargain!

dish needed to be re-peaked
prior installer never grounded dish, that was done
New LNB
new splitters
SWiM 16
Green 4 way splitter
DECA units
new wire runs
7 hours of work

WOW!:grin:

Are you a Premier subscriber?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#89 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

SteveHas, happy the install went well for you because I know the Bills football season isn't going great. I hope for some changes for next year, but not holding my breath.

#90 OFFLINE   bm54409

bm54409

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

I called to cancel and was given about $30 off a month for a year, 3 months of all the movie channels free, a $200 gift card and was offered the genie (2 rooms) for $49. I guess being a loyal customer for 19 years paid off.

#91 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I called to cancel and was given about $30 off a month for a year, 3 months of all the movie channels free, a $200 gift card and was offered the genie (2 rooms) for $49. I guess being a loyal customer for 19 years paid off.

19 years? Directv launched on June 17, 1994.

#92 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

19 years? Directv launched on June 17, 1994.

Depends on where you were. They did my install March, 1994.

Signed up at their storefront in town. Bank financed the purchase in February, 1994.

#93 OFFLINE   ewing453

ewing453

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I was offered $299 from retention for the genie.

I called a few days later to address a problem with some receivers not getting 103 sat. Talked to case management and in the process was offered a free equipment upgrade since I had the protection plan. I have a total of 17 tuners with the genie swap, to make a long story short I got the following totally free:

Genie DVR
Swm expander
2nd swm-16
2 1x4 splitters
2 DECA for existing receivers
New LNB for the dish
Free install

I did end up buying a swm-E2 because I didn't like how I was going to have to mount the SWM-16 upside down.

On a side note I had the 5 LNB dish. I have not noticed any problems with HD on HR21 receivers, but the newer receivers in the kids room were missing HD channels. The tech could not even get the 103 sat to register on his meter, se he replaced LNB and all is working now.

#94 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Depends on where you were. They did my install March, 1994.

Signed up at their storefront in town. Bank financed the purchase in February, 1994.

Did you just look at the searching for signal message until they started broadcasting in June?:lol: The first system sold in the USA was at Cowboy Maloney's Electric City in Jackson, MS on June 17, 1994.

http://www.highbeam....-118893232.html

#95 OFFLINE   wthalliii

wthalliii

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Just got my Genie & three clients a couple of days ago. It replaced an HR-21 and a SD DVR (don't remember the model). The installer charged me $50 for doing one wire run. I had coax running to the other two TV's. The interesting thing was that the $50 went to him, not to DirecTV. Whatever. Anyway, that's the only thing I had to pay up front. According to what DTV told me, I'll be paying monthly charges of $3 for whole home, and $6 each for two of the clients.

Actually, when I called, I was not aware that the Genie had been released. I was wanting to replace the SD DVR with HD. When she asked if I was wanting the Genie, I asked how much. She said that it was no cost for new customers. So I asked, well, how much for me? She said she'd look, and then said she was surprised that it was offering me the Genie plus one client for free. I jumped on that.

I'm happy with it so far. Dunno about the Genie Recommends thing yet, we'll see, but the menus are faster than my HR-21 was. And they expanded the series manager so that it has more than 50 slots. That's great! I was always running out.

BTW, someone was talking about some kind of extended warranty thing for Texas that gets you free upgrades every two years. As far as I know, I'm not on that. I am in Texas, though.

#96 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

In addition to those reasons I already mentioned, personal preference and the joy of doing things myself. I could protest the current Directv model of no self-installs but that is the company's preference. Two years doesn't matter, been a customer since 1995 and I'm not going anywhere. Probably not economically sensible (it's just money and what entertainment is a sensible investment?) but the peace of mind is priceless. Did my self-install today. Had to put the old LNB back on the dish (I had installed a SWiM LNB a few years ago) so I would have four inputs into the SWiM 16. Moved a few receivers around and installed the Genie. Called to activate and everything is great. What a nice machine. The wife, daughter and myself are thrilled that we now have nine available tuners to record on. No more recording conflicts. :)

I simply had everything in place for the installer - I had already balanced the tuner count on the SWM, run the coax, the HDMI and digital audio lines, I even ran the power cord. All he had to do was plug it in and turn it on. He was in and out of here in under 20 minutes.

By letting him plug it in, I saved $270 off the Solid Signal price.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#97 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

BTW, someone was talking about some kind of extended warranty thing for Texas that gets you free upgrades every two years. As far as I know, I'm not on that. I am in Texas, though.

It was mentioned several months ago that Texas customers had a $2 increase on their protection plan and it now allows for a free upgrade every two years. It's not a special addition, it's now built into your regular protection plan coverage.

#98 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

It was mentioned several months ago that Texas customers had a $2 increase on their protection plan and it now allows for a free upgrade every two years. It's not a special addition, it's now built into your regular protection plan coverage.

This is correct. The trial for this program is being done in Texas and I was able to take advantage of it. Note that you had to have been on the protection plan for at least 1 year before you can take advantage of your first free upgrade (to prevent people signing up just to get a bunch of new equipment and then dropping it afterwards I imagine). I was able to get a Genie and 2 C31 clients for free (albeit you are locked into another two year contract though).

#99 OFFLINE   wthalliii

wthalliii

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Okay, that makes sense. It keeps you under contract. But it also does get you the latest equipment, so I guess that balances it out.

#100 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Looking to make the jump myself. I've been holding on to my HR20 and H20 up untill now because DTV still hadn't done HD locals in my area. As of a month ago they finally launched.

I have some recordings on the HR20 that I'd like to keep, what are my options? Use it as an active receiver? The UI is sooo slow it drives me crazy. Can I keep it in a closet somewhere to serve the recordings over WH and not pay the receiver fee? I understand from reading some threads that it's not possible to transfer recordings to the new DVR.

I still need to do some more reading here, I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to need a new dish or not, right now I have the non-SWiM AU9 I believe.

*EDIT* Oh, and I'm using an alternate IR code set in my home theater - does the Genie still have this feature?

Edited by turkeylord, 14 December 2012 - 01:41 PM.

spam firewall