Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Looking to make the jump myself. I've been holding on to my HR20 and H20 up untill now because DTV still hadn't done HD locals in my area. As of a month ago they finally launched.

I have some recordings on the HR20 that I'd like to keep, what are my options? Use it as an active receiver? The UI is sooo slow it drives me crazy. Can I keep it in a closet somewhere to serve the recordings over WH and not pay the receiver fee? I understand from reading some threads that it's not possible to transfer recordings to the new DVR.

I still need to do some more reading here, I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to need a new dish or not, right now I have the non-SWiM AU9 I believe.

*EDIT* Oh, and I'm using an alternate IR code set in my home theater - does the Genie still have this feature?

Genie has multiple ir codes and rf and such. With this being the holidays and most stuff on repeat, I'd suggest you hold off a bit and watch all those recordings on the HR20 pronto. You can't hide it in a closet and use it as a server without paying for it. The other thing you could do is put it where the h20 is now and then have the genie and the HR20.

And yeah, they will upgrade you dish with the install of a genie.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm upgrading on Saturday. They are charging me $199 for the HR34 and one Genie thin client, plus $49 for installation. I have that confirmed in an e-mail from them. :)

As part of your install did you need a SWiM upgrade?

#103 OFFLINE   mbailey

mbailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Doing the install as I type. Got Genie (add-on) for new TV. Had to go with SWM16 from Zinwell switch keeping HR20, HR21, HR24, H21 and 2-H24's. Will see how this works when done. Have had zero problems with whole home DVR's and HD receivers up to this point.

Cost for HR34 - $49.00 plus $49.00 install. With $10 monthly discount for the next year.

Here is how: Called DTV and told them I wanted to add HR34. Was told $399.00 + Install. Told DTV that was too much and would probably change to TWC and for CSR to place this in notes on the account. Called back 3 hours later, to order HR34 again. When CSR looked at account notes, they transferred me directly to retention who gave me the above offer. Thanks to DBSTalk for clues on how to save over $400.00.

DTV customer 1995-2002, 2006-present
HR20-700 (Current-CE) -> {Samsung LN-S4695, FW:1026, HDMI, Sony STR-DE895, Optical Dolby Digital} & {Vizio VW26L, Component}
HR20-700 (Current-CE) -> {Panasonic TC-32LX70, FW:1.15, HDMI}
HR21-700 (Current-CE) -> {Mitsubishi WD-65734, FW:9.03, HDMI, RCA RT2770, Coax Dolby Digital}
Wired Network -> Linksys WRT54G W/FW (DD-WRT V24 SP1) - Tversity & WMP
D* Customer 1994-2000, 2006-Current

#104 OFFLINE   Mjbillmeier

Mjbillmeier

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I called and got Genie foe $49 and no install as well as additional Hr24 for free. I now have (3)hr24, (1)hr34, (1)h24, (1)h25 and (2)standard. They also lowered my bill $28 a month. Required new 2yr commit.

#105 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I called and got Genie foe $49 and no install as well as additional Hr24 for free. I now have (3)hr24, (1)hr34, (1)h24, (1)h25 and (2)standard. They also lowered my bill $28 a month. Required new 2yr commit.

Ok, I give... Why on earth do you still have two sd receivers? :)

#106 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

As part of your install did you need a SWiM upgrade?

No. I already had a SMW 8. I was going from 3 DVRs on whole home DVR to an HR34 plus a Genie Client. :)

#107 OFFLINE   dracozny

dracozny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Doing the install as I type. Got Genie (add-on) for new TV. Had to go with SWM16 from Zinwell switch keeping HR20, HR21, HR24, H21 and 2-H24's. Will see how this works when done. Have had zero problems with whole home DVR's and HD receivers up to this point.

Cost for HR34 - $49.00 plus $49.00 install. With $10 monthly discount for the next year.

Here is how: Called DTV and told them I wanted to add HR34. Was told $399.00 + Install. Told DTV that was too much and would probably change to TWC and for CSR to place this in notes on the account. Called back 3 hours later, to order HR34 again. When CSR looked at account notes, they transferred me directly to retention who gave me the above offer. Thanks to DBSTalk for clues on how to save over $400.00.

DTV customer 1995-2002, 2006-present

too bad that trick doesn't work with Employee accounts.

#108 OFFLINE   taoseno

taoseno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I called last week and after much negotiations and the threat of the Hopper I got them down to $49 + $49 install; immediate $50 one time credit and a $10 credit for next 6 months. So I said yes and there were to install last Friday; called last Friday morning and cancelled due to big snowstorm. I had to call back and reschedule and got pushed back to tomorrow afternoon. A little disappointed but I really feel for the techs in this area who deal w/ lots of winter weather and inadequate vans w/ no 4WD and a huge service area to cover. Last week it was -12F here...........

Todd
Taos, NM USA

Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Panasonic TC-P42ST30
Panasonic TH-PX4280U
DTV HR44-500 w/ 2TB ext drive
DTV HR24-500
DTV H24-700 mobile unit

#109 OFFLINE   cheap fish

cheap fish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Called this AM, $49 install charge for $0 Genie, they'll be moving my HR-21 to the spare room. I only called to see if the free upgrade of my SD-Tivo to HD DVR was still available. I agreed to a two year contract, but where else am I going to get TV from, Comcast and Dish are a joke.

Had a TV in the bedroom, but never watch it, heck the box is never on because of the noise, moving to a spare room will be better. Guess my bill wil drop $2 since I won't be paying the $5 Tivo charge, but I'll have the $3 Whole Home.

#110 OFFLINE   Kayhold

Kayhold

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Wanted to give my experience.

Been with DTV since 2003, currently running 2 HD DVR's, no SWM.
I have whole home run through a cat5 cable.

When the whole Comedy Central thing was going on, even though I had no plans to leave, I called and threatened and got a lot of discounts and a free year of NFL Sunday Ticket and a new HD DVR upgrade.
I was supposedly on a new contract starting then.

I called this week about upgrading to Genie and was told it would be full price.
I asked to cancel, knowing I would get a discount, but had no plans to cancel since I thought I had about 18 months left in contract.

This guy tells me I only have 4 months left in contract, and they would do the install and genie for $150, plus $100 for the other TV.

I told them I would call back - I talked to the husband and we decided to do it.

I called back, but told them I wanted to still cancel, because it was not sitting well with me that I, as a loyal customer, could not get the same deal a new customer does and I really don't want to deal with a company who does no respect long time customers, and would gladly pay my $80 cancel fee and go somewhere else.

Even though I was secretly willing to pay the other price, this guy dropped the fee to $0 for the Genie, $0 for the extra TV, and $49 install.

I told him to waive the install fee, and we'd go ahead, so he dropped it, too.

So, I ended up paying nothing, but did sign a new contract; Comcast is the only other option we have, which is not going to happen because I would never go back to them, so it wasn't a big deal.
Plus they ended up giving me a $20 credit per month for the next year - not sure why, but I won't complain.

#111 OFFLINE   miggo

miggo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

I just got off the phone. I could not get them below $299 + install. I have been with them for 15 years. I was adding a receiver. Maybe I should ask about upgrading my old R15 instead. I own it so I could re-activate it later if I want to. I use it for my slingbox!

#112 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

I just got off the phone. I could not get them below $299 + install. I have been with them for 15 years. I was adding a receiver. Maybe I should ask about upgrading my old R15 instead. I own it so I could re-activate it later if I want to. I use it for my slingbox!

I haven't been able to get them below this either. The last time I talked they would just ship me the Genie for $299 to self install. Apparently they know that I have a SWM 16 in the system.

Then, yesterday they started calling me again to see if I have enough HD receivers (I'd told them during an earlier conversation that I was upgrading my last SD TV to an HD). They offered a new HD receiver for free if I would get back on contract. I told them that that wasn't good enough. If I'm going to go back on contract, I wanted the latest equipment so I would be good for the two years. Said that I wanted a Genie to swap for my SD receiver. They lady told me $299 to ship to me to install. Told her that wasn't good enough and that I did need an install because the SWM 16 just feeds right into an 8 that feeds all the receivers. She then came back with $199, free install and $15 credit for a year. It is getting installed tomorrow.

#113 OFFLINE   bigdaddyps

bigdaddyps

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I had some D* yokel employee Chris in Tennesee say I had to pay 300 samolians to give them back 2 Hd dvr's to upgrade to a Genie!! I complained loud and hard to no avail. Pissed me off to the point I wanted to jump thru the phone and slap the taste out his mouth.

My contract has expired, I haven't upgraded anything in 2 plus years, I have the protection plan, and I'm a long time customer. Didn't matter.

How in the hell can they ask you to pay 200-400 dollars for a piece of equipment that you don't even own! Would anyone pay that kind of money to rent an audio receiver?

They can kiss my tuchose!

#114 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I paid $400 for mine, and know I'm not the only one.

#115 OFFLINE   bigdaddyps

bigdaddyps

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Wow... Why would anyone pay that kind of money just for the temp usage of a product that is owned by D*????

No way in hell that it makes sense. Of course if 400 bucks is a pittance to one, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Not I, my brothers from other mothers.

#116 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,008 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Take a little longer view. The box has likely a five year + useful life. That's less than $10 per month to be added to the receiver fee.

Leasing a car? How 'bout a few thousand down, and over $500/month.
Often, it's made financial sense for me to lease rather than buy a new car. Here, truly, YMMV, and not just mpg.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#117 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Not a pittance but I decided that it was worth it to me, and I got one, haven't regretted it at all. I just don't like playing the games. I will call to see if there is a special being run, or ask what the price will be and if they give me a deal, great. But I won't play CSR games.

Now, in the case of my 34, for various reasons, I got it before DirecTV would let a current customer have one even at that price, so I went through Solid Signal.

#118 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Take a little longer view. The box has likely a five year + useful life. That's less than $10 per month to be added to the receiver fee.

Leasing a car? How 'bout a few thousand down, and over $500/month.
Often, it's made financial sense for me to lease rather than buy a new car. Here, truly, YMMV, and not just mpg.....

Exactly. Plus, if anything does go wrong with the box, you know you'll never get anything less than a 34, which was a consideration for me. I would have been less likely to pay $200 for an HR24 and have it go bad and risk getting a 21. Plus, I figured that it might get more features that were exclusive, and I was right (not just Genie).

#119 OFFLINE   Goldlexus

Goldlexus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I called to add another HD receiver for my sons new TV and they offered the Genie for free and $49 to install. Installer came out today and refused to climb up to the second story roof :( We've had many dish and directv people out and all of them got up on the roof with no problem. One installer even climbed up there when it was a bit icy! The pitch of the roof isn't steep. In the past installers just used a ladder to get on the first story roof and walked over the the dormer that intersects with the second story roof and climb up. This guy was a wuss. Now we have to wait for his supervisor to come and evaluate how to do the install and whether or not they will need safety equipment. What?! I think the installer just didn't want to do it. He felt it needed to be done all over including moving the dish down to the first story roof. There is more to this story which I wont go into but there are indications that he had things he wanted to do today so therefore didn't want to put in the time in on our install. I am slightly ticked off with this, after all I had things I needed to do today too. I have no clue when I can expect someone to come and install the Genie. I may need to call Directv in the morning to get this expedited.

#120 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think I remember new regulations that prevent them from going on the roof, at least without fall protection. I believe DirecTV has decided to not let them leave the ladder instead of dealing with that, though they may still do it when needed and there are two installers present, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...