Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing Customers going to Genie

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Not new regulations. DirecTV is just following OSHA fall protection guidelines when working more than 6' off the ground (and not on a ladder). If you can have a new dish installed where it can be reached without leaving the ladder, do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Goldlexus

Goldlexus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

He said he was going to install a new dish down lower and I am fine with that...BUT couldn't he have done the new location install and dispatched someone to come out at a later time to remove to old dish rather then have me wait? FWIW I personally think it is safer to stand on a roof then it is to balance on a rung of a ladder.

#123 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

He said he was going to install a new dish down lower and I am fine with that...BUT couldn't he have done the new location install and dispatched someone to come out at a later time to remove to old dish rather then have me wait? FWIW I personally think it is safer to stand on a roof then it is to balance on a rung of a ladder.

I'll be surprised if they actually take down your old dish. And FWIW, Dept of Labor statistics show that the greatest number of deaths in residential construction if from workers falling from roofs, not ladders.

#124 OFFLINE   Goldlexus

Goldlexus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

BTW...I was called this morning by directv to let me know I will hear from a local supervisor regarding the install in 3-5 days. I was called by the call center. I was told by installations at directv, last night, that I would be called by my local field office today (if they are open) or Monday. So after they called this morning I called back to installation at directv and told them I was expecting the local field office to call but was called by their call center. The rep. said that my earlier call must have been sent to the call center by mistake and that HE will make sure my local field office will call next, either later today or tomorrow. Twent minutes later the call center called again! Not my field office :( again I was told it will be 3-5 days. What? I told them I was expecting to hear from my local office and they said the reps. don't have to power to send a request to the local office that it always comes to the call center to be expedited. So anyone here who is 'in the know' is that true? OR is it because my install is on hold that I am being stonewalled with the 3-5 day wait period?

#125 OFFLINE   Goldlexus

Goldlexus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'll be surprised if they actually take down your old dish. And FWIW, Dept of Labor statistics show that the greatest number of deaths in residential construction if from workers falling from roofs, not ladders.

I guess you're right about that. If someone is on a ladder their sense of safety is heightened on a roof a person could have a false sense of safety because they can freely move around on both feet therefore let their guard down and consequently fall from the roof.

If they don't take the old dish down then I really don't get why he just didn't go ahead with the install at the lower roof location. He would have full ability to install on a ladder there. While he was here I did get the sense that he just didn't want to do it period. If it were a simple swap of equipment then sure but it turned out to be more then he may have expected and didn't want to spend the time. Instead he wasted my time and now my time will be wasted again with another install appointment.

#126 OFFLINE   dalime

dalime

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Saw a deal at Costco so I called retention and simply told them that I was going to cancel my account, pay the fee, and open a new account in my girlfriend's name (new customer). The deal at Costco would have netted me about $400 in savings after the cancellation fee. Told them I would rather not do that and remain a happy customer. The agent hooked me up a Genie, all the C31's I needed, $70 in discounts for the next year, free Stars for 6 months, and let me do the install myself. Didn't pay a dime. You just need to get the right person.

HR34-700 -> Elite VSX-43 -> Elite 50" Plasma
C31 -> Vizio 48" LCD
C31 -> Samsung 32" LCD

#127 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Instead he wasted my time and now my time will be wasted again with another install appointment.

Sorry for your experience, but your time will be 'wasted' only once with any luck.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#128 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Saw a deal at Costco so I called retention and simply told them that I was going to cancel my account, pay the fee, and open a new account in my girlfriend's name (new customer). The deal at Costco would have netted me about $400 in savings after the cancellation fee. Told them I would rather not do that and remain a happy customer. The agent hooked me up a Genie, all the C31's I needed, $70 in discounts for the next year, free Stars for 6 months, and let me do the install myself. Didn't pay a dime. You just need to get the right person.

You installed a Genie yourself? Did you get it from Directv or Solid Signal? Did Directv send it to you? If not, did the installer drop it and leave? Doesn't sound right.

I was told back in August that Directv will not ship Genies to customers. This was a Retention Rep.

#129 OFFLINE   dalime

dalime

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

D* shipped me the Genie and 2 C31's direct. They even shipped me boxes to return my old DVR's for free.
A while back when I upgraded my DVR's, I had to install a SMW to support them (no SWM when my system was originally installed). Took me about a week of dealing with level 2 techs to get my account flagged as a self-install SWM, otherwise they wouldn't ship me any DECA's and enable whole-home without a tech visit.
That may or may not have something to do with them shipping me the gear without an installer. But I don't see why my situation would be any different than someone that had D* install their SWM for them. I think you just have to get the right person on the phone. That and I was prepared to cancel the account with them right then and there.

C31 -> Vizio 48" LCD
C31 -> Samsung 32" LCD

#130 OFFLINE   wanderingheel

wanderingheel

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

dalime - what was the deal that you saw at Costco? I'm assuming it was for the Genie and additional receivers, correct? I'm interested in doing the same thing - just wondering what type of offer you saw there and what they included (as well as price). I plan to give them a call in the next few days to see what they will do. Also - the $80 dollar cancelation fee is based upon being under contract, correct? Thanks for the help bud...

#131 OFFLINE   dalime

dalime

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yes and the pricing was something pretty close to what they're offering now, plus you got a $200 Costco card.

http://www.directv.c...ooternavtype=-1

The cancellation fee applies if you're in contract and is prorated based on how much time you have left in your contract. Even if you had to pay a full two year termination fee, the savings would still net you some cash plus the new toys. That was the draw for me. I came out about $400 ahead plus the genie.:D

C31 -> Vizio 48" LCD
C31 -> Samsung 32" LCD

#132 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

You installed a Genie yourself? Did you get it from Directv or Solid Signal? Did Directv send it to you? If not, did the installer drop it and leave? Doesn't sound right.

I was told back in August that Directv will not ship Genies to customers. This was a Retention Rep.

Two or three weeks ago D* started allowing the Genie to be shipped to customer who already have a SWM. It's based on the number of tuners that will be on the account and the size of the SWM as well. I believe it the setup will use more than 7 tuners, they force a technician to do the install (unless a SWM16 is installed). Not sure why they would pick 7, but at least it can be shipped now.

#133 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

D* shipped me the Genie and 2 C31's direct. They even shipped me boxes to return my old DVR's for free.

Were your old DVR's HD or standard?

#134 OFFLINE   dalime

dalime

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

1 HD receiver and two HD DVR's

C31 -> Vizio 48" LCD
C31 -> Samsung 32" LCD

#135 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

1 HD receiver and two HD DVR's

So you swapped HD DVR's for clients? A bit of a step backwards isn't it?

Genie + 2 clients = 5 tuners

Genie + 2 HD DVR's = 9 tuners

Whole home DVR would allow watching from any receiver(or client) with either setup.

#136 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

There's a lot of talk about upgrading here, so I'd just like to get some opinions before I call D* tomorrow. I currently have one HD DVR (about 3 yrs old) one HD receiver (about 1 yr old) and one SD receiver. I have a SWM system installed about 3 yrs ago with my original install.

I added 1 new TV into my system today and need an HD receiver for it. I'd also like to upgrade the SD to HD but its not the end of the world. I did a self install whole home and it works well. Since I only have the one extra HD receiver I can only watch my recorded shows in 2 rooms total. The space on the DVR is not currently an issue, I've never really filled it, but I'll take more if I can get it.

I have been a subscriber for 3 yrs. I am 1 yr into my current contract. I went online today and saw that I'm being offered ONE free HD receiver or ONE free HD DVR. I'm guessing either would require a new contract, and obviously I'd take the DVR over the regular HD receiver. It was then I first saw the genie.

So I've read a little about it and I'm just wondering if I should push for that over just upgrading my current stuff to HD. Do I get to keep my current DVR or does the genie replace it? If I can get one genie with 3-4 clients for $100 total I'd sign a new contract for it. I can use all my current wiring/SWM/whole home with it, right? If they won't do it, I guess I could just push for one new HD DVR and one new HD receiver and I'd be okay.. Am I missing out not getting the genie?

Thanks in advance, I value the opinions here!
Dave

#137 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

You could keep all your current equipment, in that case you would need an upgrade to your SWM system, as your current one is limited to 8 tuners. The Genie has 5 tuners on its own.

You cannot have more than 3 C31 clients, each one uses a tuner of the Genie when they are watching live TV, or in the buffer. They do not have their own tuners, and do not count towards a tuner count.

If you are able to get anything, keep in mind contracts are concurrent. So if you have a year left, you'd have a year added onto it, for a total of 2 years.

There's a lot of talk about upgrading here, so I'd just like to get some opinions before I call D* tomorrow. I currently have one HD DVR (about 3 yrs old) one HD receiver (about 1 yr old) and one SD receiver. I have a SWM system installed about 3 yrs ago with my original install.

I added 1 new TV into my system today and need an HD receiver for it. I'd also like to upgrade the SD to HD but its not the end of the world. I did a self install whole home and it works well. Since I only have the one extra HD receiver I can only watch my recorded shows in 2 rooms total. The space on the DVR is not currently an issue, I've never really filled it, but I'll take more if I can get it.

I have been a subscriber for 3 yrs. I am 1 yr into my current contract. I went online today and saw that I'm being offered ONE free HD receiver or ONE free HD DVR. I'm guessing either would require a new contract, and obviously I'd take the DVR over the regular HD receiver. It was then I first saw the genie.

So I've read a little about it and I'm just wondering if I should push for that over just upgrading my current stuff to HD. Do I get to keep my current DVR or does the genie replace it? If I can get one genie with 3-4 clients for $100 total I'd sign a new contract for it. I can use all my current wiring/SWM/whole home with it, right? If they won't do it, I guess I could just push for one new HD DVR and one new HD receiver and I'd be okay.. Am I missing out not getting the genie?

Thanks in advance, I value the opinions here!
Dave

#138 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

dpeters -

I don't really care to keep any of the old stuff as I am only trying to run 4 TVs total right now. If anything I'd keep only the HD DVR if I could use that concurrently with the genie system. Will they work together? Then I could keep that, add the genie (which operates as a receiver itself, right?) and run 2 clients and have the ability to add one more TV in the future if needed..?

My SWM splitter has 8 outputs but one of them goes only to the whole home controller. The other 4 go to TVs. So I shouldn't need a new SWM, I think...?

I'm cool with a 2 yr contract, that's pretty much standard for them. The question is would they ask me to lock into 1 more year or 2 more.. Guess ill call in the morning!

#139 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I don't think you could get a Genie on an unsupported whole-home system, I think DirecTV will require an installer visit and a conversion to supported whole-home.

With your system, I would probably add an HD DVR (for your new location) and an HD receiver (to replace your SD receiver), and not get the Genie. You don't appear to have the demand for either tuners or storage space to justify the HR34.

Those changes/additions would keep you under the 8 tuner limit on your current SWM system, and you could continue with the unsupported whole-home if you wanted to.

Of course, you would have to run coax to the new tv location.

Don't misunderstand, the Genie is a great device (I've got one), but I'm not sure it is the right answer for every customer and every situation, and your situation might be such a case.

#140 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Ah, you posted again while I was typing. If you do go for the Genie, I would get a genie and one C31 client and keep your existing DVR and HD receiver. They will all play together, and will fit within the 8 tuner limit.

As to contract, it will be two years from now, not two years in addition to your remaining year.

As to the SWM, it can support 8 tuners. Doesn't matter how many connections/coax off the splitter. Genie has 5 tuners, HD DVR has 2 tuners, HD receiver has 1 tuner. C31 clients do not have tuners and don't count against the 8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...