Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home Query

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Our current configuration is one THR22, one HR24, and one SD receiver of some sort (not sure of the model number) with the Cinema Connection Kit. We need to upgrade the SD receiver to something that will handle HD and, if possible, allow access to recordings on one of the DVRS. I would appreciate it if someone could verify these statements before I ask DirecTV for an upgrade in the annual renewal negotiations.
  • There is no way to access recordings from the THR22 but it can coexist with other boxes in a whole home network.
  • The only receiver that will allow pause and playback of live feeds is the C31 and that one requires an HR34 as host DVR.
If both statements are true, then I need to ask for Whole Home Service with an upgrade to an H34 and a C31...right? Or, failing that, a second HR24.

Background: We had 3 SD DirecTiVo boxes for about 8 years and were very happy with them. When those boxes started failing though, they were replaced by R15s which were despised by everyone in the household; so much so that we ended up going to AT&T U-Verse for 14 months. When the THR22 was finally released, we came back to DirecTV. We ended up getting an HR24 because the THR22 doesn't include 3D capability. U-Verse had its own problems but we did get used to being able to view recordings from any set. Since we never did much recording on the third DirecTiVo the inability to record at the SD station wasn't a big concern initially. Things have changed though and now we have upgraded the TV and it's being used more so we would like to upgrade that receiver to either a DVR or ideally, to Whole Home so that those two sets can share recordings.

Is there likely to be a problem making this happen?

Thanks.

Athena

Edited by Athenian, 28 October 2012 - 02:58 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Both statements are true.
The THR22 will never play with the other receivers, so how well has the HR24 been received by the household?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

The HR24 is okay but the TiVo interface is still much preferred. Some people just don't appreciate how blissful it is that I haven't had to provide any assistance to my parents on how to use the THR22 since the first week it was installed. From the remote to the UI, the THR22 is just more intuitive.

Currently, biggest issue with the HR24 is performance; it started out slower than the THR22 and it's recently gotten much worse. I've been wondering whether there might be something similar to defrag to improve performance.

If DirecTV will only spring for Whole Home with an HD receiver on the third set, that won't take away one of the viewing/recording streams on the HR24 will it? I'm thinking that if we can't manage to get two more recording streams without paying extra this time around, we'll just go with Whole Home and wait another year to add another DVR or switch to a C31/H34 combo.

Athena

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

The 24 is one of the faster DVRs in the DirecTV brand.
A H25 receiver is faster, and will give you the whole home service. It has its own tuner, so it won't take away from the others.
The H25 can't pause live TV, so if this is important, getting another HR24 would do this and give you the whole home service also.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

The H25 can't pause live TV, so if this is important, getting another HR24 would do this and give you the whole home service also.

Every so often, someone will ask why that TV won't pause or reverse but I wouldn't call it "important". Then again, it's being used more now so the issue bound to come up more frequently in the future.

Somehow, I doubt that DirecTV is going to give us both Whole Home and another DVR as complimentary upgrades. Given that our promotional programming credit will expire soon, we're already facing rising TV costs for next year so an additional amount for another DVR is not an attractive option right now. I guess I should plan for doing without pause and rewind on that television for another year... and set expectations accordingly.

Thank you for the info.

Athena

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Call and ask, you never know what you can get until you try.

Option 1: HR34 and C31 client.
Option 2: Keep the HR24 and add an H2x receiver.

With option 2, if you want trick play you have to start recording the program, then play that recording immediately. You can pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. while playing a remote recording.

With option 1, you'll have five tuners on the HR34 so the fact that the C31 uses one for live viewing will be almost irrelevant (to most people). But this might be the more expensive path to take, depending on what DirecTV will do for you.

With either option, you can keep the THR22 in the system, it just won't participate at all in whole-home.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...