Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   llupin

llupin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

For those of you trying to connect your TV and DirecTV receivers to a generator, remember that you need to plug the SWM power source in as well. I learned this during Isaac last month (good thing I had some really long extension cords). Also, make sure to use surge protectors and not plug any electronic components directly into a generator.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,857 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

+1

I did not have SWM when IKE paid us a visit here but I did have a generator and 4, 100 foot outdoor extension cords to run to the TVs and computers in the house.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I installed a transfer switch after the ice storm several years ago with a plug on back of the house,just plug hit 10 switches on the transfer box powers my whole house on a 5500 watt generator. Be sure to also ground the generator it should have a place to put a ground wire.

Edited by onan38, 01 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   phran

phran

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the tip. I used a genny during Irene but I've had SWM installed since then. The lights flickered an hour ago, so it won't be long now.....

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

A good UPS is a life saver, it will keep the system up and running while you feed and water the gen set. We had to rely on a 5500 watt unit for two weeks after Wilma.

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Do not forget to ground the generator. I use a car jumper cable to connect the frame of the generator to a ground rod.

#7 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

They say not to ground your genny to the house ground, I never understood that very well. I have my genny grounded to a ground rod that is driven in right next to my copper water main, But, even then, this ground rod is only 4 feet long, a ground rod is supposed to be 8 feet long.

Anyway, I once ran my DirecTV setup (and the rest of the house) for 6 weeks on a 5500 watt genny after hurricane Wilma. Ran great, although at the rate of 10 gallons of gas a day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

They say not to ground your genny to the house ground, I never understood that very well. I have my genny grounded to a ground rod that is driven in right next to my copper water main, But, even then, this ground rod is only 4 feet long, a ground rod is supposed to be 8 feet long.

Anyway, I once ran my DirecTV setup (and the rest of the house) for 6 weeks on a 5500 watt genny after hurricane Wilma. Ran great, although at the rate of 10 gallons of gas a day.

I think the reason you should not ground the generator to the house ground is to protect line workers who are trying to restore power. I, too, have a separate ground rod just for my generator, but it is a regulation 8 foot copper clad ground rod that I drove into the ground near where I park the generator. When the generator is in use, I use a car jumper cable to connect the generator to the ground rod.

#9 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've been thinking about bonding two 5 foot rods together - give me 8 feet of subsurface contact, and a foot above for cable clamps. This does not meet the letter of the code, but should accomplish the same thing. I had trouble enough driving the 4 foot rod, let alone drive an 8 footer.

I think the reason you should not ground the generator to the house ground is to protect line workers who are trying to restore power. I, too, have a separate ground rod just for my generator, but it is a regulation 8 foot copper clad ground rod that I drove into the ground near where I park the generator. When the generator is in use, I use a car jumper cable to connect the generator to the ground rod.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,422 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

This does not meet the letter of the code, but should accomplish the same thing.

Whether it creates a battery or some other electrolysis issue, two rods within 6' of each other are not allowed by codes in several jurisdictions. In most of these cases, two 8' rods spaced more than 6' apart are required.

Do a web search for "two ground rods".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I've been thinking about bonding two 5 foot rods together - give me 8 feet of subsurface contact, and a foot above for cable clamps. This does not meet the letter of the code, but should accomplish the same thing. I had trouble enough driving the 4 foot rod, let alone drive an 8 footer.

The trick to driving the grounding rods is that commercial hammer drills have an adapter that will let the hammer drill drive the ground rod.

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Right. Simple. If only I knew someone with the tools. :lol:

The trick to driving the grounding rods is that commercial hammer drills have an adapter that will let the hammer drill drive the ground rod.

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I managed to drive an 8 foot rod with a sledge hammer. The first two feet were the hardest, because after each hit, I had to stop the rod from vibrating. I got it in without breaking any hands, so all is good.

#14 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Here is what you need for the ground rod:

Posted Image

Once the post driver bottoms out on the ground the last foot is easy with a sledgehammer

http://www.homedepot...ml#.UJBW-O-M58F

Edited by longrider, 30 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.
forgot link

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sharing a ground rod b/w a generator and your home's electric supply won't affect a utility worker whatsoever. Connecting any other part of your generator into your breaker panel/house electrical service (without a proper transfer switch) COULD indeed injure a utility worker. IRC requires at least 8' of continuous earth contact for a proper low resistance grounding system. Isometrically bonding two (same exact composition metal) 5' ground rods (where would you even get them this size?) together could be done, but most people don't have the proper tools to do this. Using a single 8' ground rod (available at any hardware store) would make the most sense. Some areas of Canada (for example) require dual 8' ground rods approx. 10' apart for new service installs.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Had to deal with this after Hurricane Charley in '04. Ran a 100' extension cord up to the powered multiswitch in the attic of my 2-story home.

I had so many things plugged into my 5500W generator that when I had to shut it down to refuel I had to plug things back into the generator one or two at a time following a specific sequence as not to overload it all at once with the current spike associated with them starting up. Refrigerators, Freezer (these draw HUGE current spikes when they come on) and AC units first, then TVs, STBs, Multiswitch, Aquariums and lamps.

It only lasted a week but it felt a lot longer.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#17 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Right. Simple. If only I knew someone with the tools. :lol:

Think of it as an excuse to buy a new tool.

#18 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

The only way to harm a service worker is to NOT shut off the main switch at the top of the panel while your backfeeding..........

#19 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

A transfer switch is the proper way. Live in a hurricane prone area like I do, and you quickly learn taking shortcuts with dryer outlets is not the way to go, as some of my neighbors stubbornly insist on doing.

The only way to harm a service worker is to NOT shut off the main switch at the top of the panel while your backfeeding..........

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Had to deal with this after Hurricane Charley in '04. Ran a 100' extension cord up to the powered multiswitch in the attic of my 2-story home.

I had so many things plugged into my 5500W generator that when I had to shut it down to refuel I had to plug things back into the generator one or two at a time following a specific sequence as not to overload it all at once with the current spike associated with them starting up. Refrigerators, Freezer (these draw HUGE current spikes when they come on) and AC units first, then TVs, STBs, Multiswitch, Aquariums and lamps.

It only lasted a week but it felt a lot longer.

What you were seeing with the refrigerators and freezers when they first come on is "inrush current". Takes only seconds (or less) to subside. But you did the right thing. If you hadn't pulled all the plugs before starting, you would have probably tripped the generators breakers. Once you have everything running, there will still be instances of inrush current each time the compressors in the refrigerators, freezers and AC units come on but the genny will handle that.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...