Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I was gonna go whole-hog, but then took a step back and realized that this was a freak thing and that I could get away with much less.

Couldn't agree more.....or should I say, my wife couldn't agree more? :lol:

Actually, an unreasonaly high quote got me rethinking the NG standby generator install I was considering. Then, after getting another quote for $3,500 less which I was ready to jump on, my wife reminded me that it was probably still overkill considering the fact that we've never lost power for any significant length of time before Sandy and we've been in our house for 25 years.

So I went with a 7000 watt portable Gas driven generator and hooked a 220v power inlet box to the back of the house.

I'm pursuing something very similar to this now along with an http://www.interlockkit.com/. A simple device costing much less than a transfer switch while offering greater flexibility, i.e., your entire panel of circuit breakers becomes available to you, unlike a sub panel transfer switch. I already confirmed with my town building inspector that these are approved and my electrician has ordered it to be installed along with an inlet box. All I need to to now is decide which portable generator to go with.
Vin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

That's just inexperience speaking. I start accumulating gas when we hit the 5 day cone. I put stabilizer in it, and if I don't use it, it keeps for a year, where it then starts going into my Jeep. Gas stations down here are now required to have backup power, but not until we had already been through 4 hurricanes in a row across 2 seasons.

I have a HomeDepot Generac that has run 24x7 for me through 4 direct hits. One of those times it ran for 6 weeks straight.

I agree with some of the above sentiments - not only is a smaller generator cheaper to buy, it's cheaper to run and maintain. I'd love to have a whole home, but even in SE Florida, I can't justify the costs.

No. Sandy certainly didn't. Nobody expected what we got.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#203 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

What you did wouldn't have worked here. No gas. No gas stations with gennys of their own, can you believe that? That ought to be mandatory, I think.

Rich

I agree. It is mandatory in Floridan where we used to live. They required it after a few hurricanes had the area closed down for a few weeks. It should be mandatory everywhere.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#204 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I have a 5500 W portable genny. I wish there was some way I could quiet it down a bit. I would make a custom exhaust, but I don't know what would work on this small of an engine.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#205 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

By the way, those of you with portable generators who want to use them in rain/snow should look into GenTent.

Steve

My Setup

#206 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

By the way, those of you with portable generators who want to use them in rain/snow should look into GenTent.

Funny, I just found that site earlier today.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#207 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Turns out that they're less than an hour from me in NH. I received my GenTent earlier this week but haven't set it up yet.

Steve

My Setup

#208 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Plywood box with fan and exhaust. Cuts it down right nicely.

I have a 5500 W portable genny. I wish there was some way I could quiet it down a bit. I would make a custom exhaust, but I don't know what would work on this small of an engine.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#209 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

huh? I heard about this "Perfect Storm" possibility days before it made landfall and I'm in Sunny Socal...

Trust me, nobody expected what we got. And the really strange part of Sandy? It could have been a lot worse if it's eye had entered Raritan Bay. Unimaginably worse.

Obviously no one knows for certain where a storm will strike or the severity from county to county, but you have a pretty good idea if you are in the path days before.

Nobody had any idea it was gonna be anywhere near this bad. Please believe that.

Rich

#210 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Couldn't agree more.....or should I say, my wife couldn't agree more? :lol:

Actually, an unreasonaly high quote got me rethinking the NG standby generator install I was considering. Then, after getting another quote for $3,500 less which I was ready to jump on, my wife reminded me that it was probably still overkill considering the fact that we've never lost power for any significant length of time before Sandy and we've been in our house for 25 years.

I'm pursuing something very similar to this now along with an http://www.interlockkit.com/. A simple device costing much less than a transfer switch while offering greater flexibility, i.e., your entire panel of circuit breakers becomes available to you, unlike a sub panel transfer switch. I already confirmed with my town building inspector that these are approved and my electrician has ordered it to be installed along with an inlet box. All I need to to now is decide which portable generator to go with.

I could do what you're considering myself, but to what end? Still need gasoline. That's the real beauty of the NG gennys, we've never lost our gas supply.

Perhaps Sandy is the last we'll see of this type of storm in our lifetimes, but it also might be the precursor to even worse storms in the near future. NYC is actually thinking of building tidal barriers such as London has and the Netherlands have. They're not planning on spending that kind of money on a whim.

I really think a reasonably priced NG genny is the right way to go. Now I have to figure out just how large a genny I need. Not hard to do, just add up all your absolutely necessary wattages and add a bit more for "luxuries" and you'll come up with a reasonable figure.

Rich

#211 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I dunno about that. I sat in my chair and watched that bass-turd churn by offshore of my house in S. Fl. and felt sorry for those of you up there. It was big, slow, and colliding with another front. It was going to be bad.

Nobody had any idea it was gonna be anywhere near this bad. Please believe that.

Rich

#212 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

That's just inexperience speaking. I start accumulating gas when we hit the 5 day cone. I put stabilizer in it, and if I don't use it, it keeps for a year, where it then starts going into my Jeep. Gas stations down here are now required to have backup power, but not until we had already been through 4 hurricanes in a row across 2 seasons.

I have a HomeDepot Generac that has run 24x7 for me through 4 direct hits. One of those times it ran for 6 weeks straight.

I agree with some of the above sentiments - not only is a smaller generator cheaper to buy, it's cheaper to run and maintain. I'd love to have a whole home, but even in SE Florida, I can't justify the costs.

How could you possibly know what my experience with hurricanes is?

Rich

#213 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I agree. It is mandatory in Floridan where we used to live. They required it after a few hurricanes had the area closed down for a few weeks. It should be mandatory everywhere.

I have not heard one whisper about doing that in NJ. After all the gas lines, all the fist fights on the lines, after people going without water or being able to flush a toilet, not one whisper.

Rich

#214 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I have the same size portable genny. Bought it at Costco. Couldn't get it all together because it didn't come with all the parts. Finally got the parts from the manufacturer and turned it on. This one is REALLY LOUD. My fault for buying a Honeywell and buying it from Costco. Real piece of crap.

You can buy quieter portables, they just cost a bit more. I should have gone with a Honda.

Rich

#215 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Huh. Good idea. Normally, I'd hang a tarp between trees and put the genny under it. But that's pretty neat. Thanx for the link.

Rich

#216 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I actually purchased one of those portable popup tents like you use tailgating. I was amazed how many people don't realize you need this. I just told them, "well, if you like messing around with 30amp 220v cords soaking wet, be my guest!"
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#217 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

From your comments regarding hurricanes :D They have been a way of life for me for many years.

How could you possibly know what my experience with hurricanes is?

Rich

#218 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

This is pretty much exactly my setup. Just have to be smart what you want to use. I did it for 10 days with only 1 incident. My wife tried to use the in-wall heater in the bathroom. All it did was trip the breaker on the generator. 1 push and back in business.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#219 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

And in case anybody cares, I went with the Powerhorse 7000 from Northerntool. No complaints.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

#220 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

From your comments regarding hurricanes :D They have been a way of life for me for many years.

Then you misread my comments. Ever been in the eye of a hurricane?

Rich

spam firewall