Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I actually purchased one of those portable popup tents like you use tailgating. I was amazed how many people don't realize you need this. I just told them, "well, if you like messing around with 30amp 220v cords soaking wet, be my guest!"

I use GFI adapters on my genny. Nothing to fear from wet weather. But the tent does seem like a good idea.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I use GFI adapters on my genny. Nothing to fear from wet weather. But the tent does seem like a good idea.

Rich

That's smart. But being dry is preferable. Something about standing in pouring rain plugging in, or otherwise messing with electrical connections, does NOT appeal to me. And I think the generator requires it.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#223 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

After a while the noise from the generators is kind of soothing, but I will admit that the semi permanent standby generator that I now have, in it's silenced enclosure, with a fairly large muffler is really quiet and quite a difference.

Maybe I was just going deaf. A very real possibility. Filling that tiny gas tank in the middle of the night, (in the dark) and waiting a while for it to cool off got old very fast. That was my main complaint about the smaller gen units I used back in the day. I was always afraid I would get careless and spill gas on something hot. I also didn't really like storing many gallons of gasoline around the house, even in the garage. Now I keep the diesel tanks topped off so I can refuel in the daylight and I have three days to do so. I also don't find as much angst with the diesel fuel which is mostly kept under the generator in two attached tanks. If it goes, the corner of my yard is history, but not my house or anyone I care about.

#224 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

More than once.

Then you misread my comments. Ever been in the eye of a hurricane?

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#225 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Actually, an unreasonaly high quote got me rethinking the NG standby generator install I was considering. Then, after getting another quote for $3,500 less which I was ready to jump on, my wife reminded me that it was probably still overkill considering the fact that we've never lost power for any significant length of time before Sandy and we've been in our house for 25 years...

That's what we said after Irene knocked out power for 3 days. Then we had the October 2011 snowstorm that knocked out power for 5 days, and we got a 4kW portable generator. Now Sandy knocked out power for 8 days and, after we went through the 15 gallons of gasoline we had stockpiled, we couldn't get gas to keep it going. This is after losing power for no more than 12 hours in the prior 18 years we have lived in this house.

We will make the deal for a 17kW whole house Generac next week...just giving the local dealer the opportunity to match the quote we have from a dealer an hour away.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#226 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Getting clearer and clearer each day ... current thinking ...

Honda EU6500iS (inverter generator with perfect power - no issue with UPS')
Tri-fuel Kit from Central Maine Diesel (will hook to natural gas)
Natural Gas port at back of the house (plumber will install)
Power Inlet Port at back of house, wired to Circuit Breaker box
Interlock Kit for my Murray Circuit Breaker box to swap between main & generator power

This will give me clean power to all electronics including DirecTV, sourced from natural gas, but also flexible to also do gasoline or propane if ever needed. Also can take it with me if we ever move, and will use window a/c if needed. Uses between 67-95 CFH for Gas, vesus 93-193 CFH for whole-home.

May change my mind again, but refining this to something doable.

Edited by Sixto, 07 December 2012 - 04:06 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#227 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Also going to get a meter like the TED unit to monitor my current watt usage before making any final decision.

Have been using the Kill-A-Watt unit for measuring outlets, but about to pick up a whole home meter like the TED.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#228 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Interlock Kit for my Murray Circuit Breaker box to swap between main & generator power

This will give me clean power to all electronics including DirecTV, sourced from natural gas, but also flexible to also do gasoline or propane if ever needed. Also can take it with me if we ever move, and will use window a/c if needed. Uses between 67-95 CFH for Gas, vesus 93-193 CFH for whole-home.

NG & propane would be a good choice. They don't break down during periods where your not using the genny, like gasoline does. And, they don't pollute the oil with blow by while it is running. You can go for a longer period of time between oil changes.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#229 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

My dad picked up one of the Honda eu6500 and they are extremely nice. Extremely quite which is important IMHO and very efficient. Also fairly small, and is really an enclosed style which is also nice. Natural gas is not really a smart move out here in California, unless you are on a big ranch and have your own giant propane tank. ;)

#230 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Aren't most of your weather situations you will need this for give you a decent lead time to accumulate gas?

Not for the Derecho last June. Came out of no where and traveled 700 miles (from Chicago to south of DC) in 10 hours. We had one local station that had power (and gas) so one day I waited in line for gas and the next day my neighbor waited. At least no one here gouged.

Bought the 17kW Generac 2 days in from HD. Just rigged it enough to backfeed my panels to get us through then installed it properly. It has been used twice since then, once for a 7-8 hour outage due to copper thieves and then for 4 days during snowstorm Sandy.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#231 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

My dad picked up one of the Honda eu6500 and they are extremely nice. Extremely quite which is important IMHO and very efficient. Also fairly small, and is really an enclosed style which is also nice. Natural gas is not really a smart move out here in California, unless you are on a big ranch and have your own giant propane tank. ;)

Yep, as with most things, analyze and analyze until I zero in on the answer, and the EU6500iS is becoming clearer and clearer, been getting up to speed on all the youtube info tonight.

The EU6500iS seems to have a lot going for it. Small. Quiet. Inverter with clean power which is huge because of my lousy experience with UPS' during Sandy, I'd rather not need to touch any of the UPS' when on generator power. I'll be able to patch right into the circuit breaker box with the Interlock Kit. I probably only really need a few thousand watts anyway, and the natural gas load will be much more manageable with the smaller unit. I won't need to find a spot in the backyard for a permanent whole home unit, nor need a maintenance contract, and won't need to deal with a long trench to run the gas and electric, and all the building inspector stuff. I'll be able to take this all with me if we ever move, and I'll probably save several thousand $, though the EU6500iS unit is actually more expensive then the 14kw Kohler, but again the inverter is something I desire.

My only worry at the moment is the warranty status with the after market Tri-fuel add-on, and also the more I think about this tonight if I go with the local Honda guy (who I like) I'll need to pay sales tax on the $4K for the Honda, but I guess it is what it is.

Tomorrow's another day, and more analyzing. :)

#232 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

I use an EU6500 and will totally recommend it. It runs the whole house with no issues, while the AC is not an option where I live that is not a big deal. The only time i have to be careful is when I am running water as the well pump takes about 40% of the 6500s output. If you do have any high start load appliances you do need to shut off the auto throttle as the throttle cant respond fast enough to the start load and it may kill the engine
My Setup

#233 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Inverter with clean power which is huge because of my lousy experience with UPS' during Sandy, I'd rather not need to touch any of the UPS' when on generator power.

I don't think this would be a problem with a higher end generator that is properly regulated. The low cost units you get at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., tend to run a bit high in both voltage and frequency, which plays hell with UPS' running off them. A quality "whole home" generator should be a lot cleaner with regard to the supplied power - proper voltage and frequency - and UPS running off them should be no problem.

#234 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

I don't think this would be a problem with a higher end generator that is properly regulated. The low cost units you get at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., tend to run a bit high in both voltage and frequency, which plays hell with UPS' running off them. A quality "whole home" generator should be a lot cleaner with regard to the supplied power - proper voltage and frequency - and UPS running off them should be no problem.

Yep Carl, if I decide on a non whole home then the inverter type is the only option I'd consider.

#235 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

Yea also the good whole home gens have electronic governers on the engine and solid state voltage regulators in them to provide you 60 cycles and 240 volts all the time. Full load or no load.

The generac and kohler home standy by stuff has solid state voltage regulators but theg have mechanical governers and run at 3600 rpm. Hince why the honda inverter runs so good. Electronic governer.

#236 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

That's smart. But being dry is preferable. Something about standing in pouring rain plugging in, or otherwise messing with electrical connections, does NOT appeal to me. And I think the generator requires it.

Hence the tarp I use strung between trees. Still, I trust the GFIs completely and there are not many other electrical devices I can say that about. In fact, I can't think of any that are as reliable as GFIs.

Rich

#237 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

More than once.

Spend time on a Can?

Rich

#238 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yep, as with most things, analyze and analyze until I zero in on the answer, and the EU6500iS is becoming clearer and clearer, been getting up to speed on all the youtube info tonight.

The EU6500iS seems to have a lot going for it. Small. Quiet. Inverter with clean power which is huge because of my lousy experience with UPS' during Sandy, I'd rather not need to touch any of the UPS' when on generator power. I'll be able to patch right into the circuit breaker box with the Interlock Kit. I probably only really need a few thousand watts anyway, and the natural gas load will be much more manageable with the smaller unit. I won't need to find a spot in the backyard for a permanent whole home unit, nor need a maintenance contract, and won't need to deal with a long trench to run the gas and electric, and all the building inspector stuff. I'll be able to take this all with me if we ever move, and I'll probably save several thousand $, though the EU6500iS unit is actually more expensive then the 14kw Kohler, but again the inverter is something I desire.

My only worry at the moment is the warranty status with the after market Tri-fuel add-on, and also the more I think about this tonight if I go with the local Honda guy (who I like) I'll need to pay sales tax on the $4K for the Honda, but I guess it is what it is.

Tomorrow's another day, and more analyzing. :)

Please keep analyzing, saves us the agita of dealing with unknowns. Couple questions: Which TED are you buying? The $239 model looks interesting.

Did you ask the Honda dealer if that after market device was something they offered or would install? I went thru a similar thing a couple years ago when we bought a Mercury Milan for my wife's commute. Didn't come with a remote start option, but they'd install one for $479 (or $499, can't remember). When I told the salesman I could have one installed locally for ~ $200, he told me the warranty would be invalidated if I did that. Kind of doubted that, but didn't feel like arguing. Wish I would have spent that money for them to install it, my wife's been bitching about not having it since she got the car.

One more question: how long is the warranty on the Honda?

Rich

#239 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Haven't decided on the TED yet. Also saw another unit, need to decide. Will post what I get.

The local Honda dealer said that he would install the Tri Fuel kit, but I need to go down and confirm. All conversation up to now has been over the phone.

Honda warranty is 3 years.

Edited by Sixto, 08 December 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#240 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

One opinion is that a manual full load transfer switch is better, but I may still go with the Interlock Kit, it's just so simple, and seems to be just as safe. With the transfer switch I'd need to re-route the main house 240v service and not sure that I want to do that for little benefit.

Also some thought that I could run the generator within the existing natural gas meter, by just not using everything at the same time, but I may do the upgrade any way. It may depend on the cost, which I don't yet have a quote for.

Edited by Sixto, 08 December 2012 - 10:23 PM.

spam firewall