Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Again, personal preference to me. The disadvantage to the interlock is that it does make you choose one source or the other for everything, period. Of course you don't have to have all the circuits on, but then in some houses that have multiple sub panels in differne threads, this is more of a hassle.

I'll have to re read but the one I linked based on a quick view of how its wired, allows you to leave other circuits wired to the main service and turned on, because the transfer panel is wired in after the main panels circuit breakers, and there fore chooses a source for the circuit after the main panel circuit breaker for that circuit, and not a source for the actual panel.

Anyway you look at it, the automatic transfer switch is the best way to go. I've worked on them and as soon as the juice comes back the switch flips and you are back on the grid. We used big diesel generators in our plant and never had a problem. With the transfer switches, I mean. The generators were old and a pain, but that's another story.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Anyway you look at it, the automatic transfer switch is the best way to go. I've worked on them and as soon as the juice comes back the switch flips and you are back on the grid. We used big diesel generators in our plant and never had a problem. With the transfer switches, I mean. The generators were old and a pain, but that's another story.

Rich

I don't think anyone here has suggested a automated one. Do you have any suggestions?

#263 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I bought my home in Piscataway in 1986 and for 10 years we had no problems. Then we had a "500" year storm. OK, we got thru that, I figured I might not live another 500 years, so we were safe. Next came a "1,000" year storm. Then, we got a "1,500" year storm and I stopped believing that stuff completely.

Wonder what Sandy was? Was it just an anomaly or are we doomed to get these massive storms periodically now? I'm not really ready to take that chance. Not with the Raritan River just a few hundred feet from my home. I can run my sump pumps off my 5500 portable genny, that's not a problem. My mailman still doesn't have power and he's got a well and a septic system. Same town. That really bothers me.

Rich

Rich, no doubt your history in your house warrants a permanently installed standby generator. I've been in my house in Clifton since 1988 and we've been very lucky with respect to power outages....we've never experienced anything like Sandy and we're hoping (gambling I guess) that we never will again. Flooding hasn't been an issue for us either. So, for me, a portable generator will be my backup for the next power outage.....only time will tell if my gamble pays off.
Vin

#264 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Rich

Absolutely, anyone getting a permanently installed standby generator would be crazy not to have an automatic transfer switch...unfortunately, as I'm sure you're well aware, aren't an option (for obvious reasons) for portable generators.
Vin

#265 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Absolutely, anyone getting a permanently installed standby generator would be crazy not to have an automatic transfer switch...unfortunately, as I'm sure you're well aware, aren't an option (for obvious reasons) for portable generators.

I don't see why a portable generator couldn't be rigged with an automatic switch. Most of the bigger ones (5000 watts and up) have electric start, so it shouldn't be too hard to automate it.

#266 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I don't see why a portable generator couldn't be rigged with an automatic switch. Most of the bigger ones (5000 watts and up) have electric start, so it shouldn't be too hard to automate it.

I'd really only be concerned about it going back to service power and ending generator dependence.

#267 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'd really only be concerned about it going back to service power and ending generator dependence.

Yeah that could be tricky.

#268 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

TED 5000-G is awesome. It took about an hour to setup, and now have full browser dashboard with power usage to the second, and history.

Very cool ... it's an excellent indicator of normal watt requirements by hour for a typical day, when planning for generator.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#269 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

I don't think anyone here has suggested a automated one. Do you have any suggestions?

I believe most of the whole home gennys either include an automatic transfer switch or recommend one. The big automatic transfer switches I've worked with come on so quickly you hardly know you've lost power from the grid.

Rich

#270 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Rich, no doubt your history in your house warrants a permanently installed standby generator. I've been in my house in Clifton since 1988 and we've been very lucky with respect to power outages....we've never experienced anything like Sandy and we're hoping (gambling I guess) that we never will again. Flooding hasn't been an issue for us either. So, for me, a portable generator will be my backup for the next power outage.....only time will tell if my gamble pays off.

I just sent an email to 101.5 asking them to bring up the question of forcing all gas stations to be equipped with emergency generators as Florida does. If they can get the ball rolling, you're right. If things stay the same and your power goes out for 7 weeks, as is still happening is some places, where do you get the gas for a stretch like that?

Yeah, it's a gamble.

Rich

#271 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I could make one. Just takes a couple contactors. Don't know what the code enforcement people would think of that... :lol:

Seriously, portable gennys are just that: Portable. I don't think using a using an automatic device of any sort would be of help. Probably end up wrecking the genny or burning down the house. So, yeah, it is pretty obvious.

Rich

#272 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Suppose your home runs (wattage-wise) at a much higher wattage than the genny? Something is gonna blow as soon as that switch kicks in. Not a good idea.

Rich

#273 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Suppose your home runs (wattage-wise) at a much higher wattage than the genny? Something is gonna blow as soon as that switch kicks in. Not a good idea.

Rich

Well most generators have a breaker, so it would just turn the generator off.

The idea is to get one that is strong enough though, if you're going to have it come on automatically.

#274 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

That would be feasible, the problem would be getting that accepted by the code official and your insurance company. I'm not sure where the NEC stands on generators.

Rich

#275 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well most generators have a breaker, so it would just turn the generator off.

Then what's the point of having it? I have seen enough destroyed CBs in my working life to be just a bit leery of them.

The idea is to get one that is strong enough though, if you're going to have it come on automatically.

Then you might as well get the whole home genny. Much safer.

Rich

#276 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Does anyone have a quick answer to this: How long would two large propane tanks last running a whole home genny? My mother and father's home never had NG and we had propane tanks just to cook with. I have no idea if two of them would last weeks or months running a whole home genny.

Rich

#277 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I just sent an email to 101.5 asking them to bring up the question of forcing all gas stations to be equipped with emergency generators as Florida does. If they can get the ball rolling, you're right. If things stay the same and your power goes out for 7 weeks, as is still happening is some places, where do you get the gas for a stretch like that?

Yeah, it's a gamble.

Rich

Knowing what I know now, I'll only need enough gas to make the drive from Clifton to Piscataway. :lol:
Vin

#278 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Knowing what I know now, I'll only need enough gas to make the drive from Clifton to Piscataway. :lol:

Just got the reply from 101.5. The bill to make the gas stations have gennys is in the legislature right now. They did have a discussion about it on the radio, I just missed it. If I can get gas, the need for a whole house genny goes down considerably.

Rich

#279 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Does anyone have a quick answer to this: How long would two large propane tanks last running a whole home genny? My mother and father's home never had NG and we had propane tanks just to cook with. I have no idea if two of them would last weeks or months running a whole home genny.

Rich

If you're talking about 100gal tanks, maybe a week or so based on what I've been able to glean from this thread:

http://www.spyderlov...ll=1#post480539
Vin

#280 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

If you're talking about 100gal tanks, maybe a week or so based on what I've been able to glean from this thread:

http://www.spyderlov...ll=1#post480539

Well, back to NG.... :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...