Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#326 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

We have the same issue, here in rural Maine, no NG. We put in two 200 gallon LP tanks (also use the LP for the gas fireplace), it was installed last March and the gauges on the tanks haven't moved off full. It gets run for about 10 minutes every week, to test the system and charge the start up battery.

As far as running time a single 100 gallon tank will give you about 43 hours of run time at 100% usage and two 200 gallon tanks will give you about 86 hours, but will last a lot longer as the demand drops.

Hmm, that's good to know. My house is not very large (3 bedroom garden home, less than 2k sq ft). My fireplace is a false electric one, so no gas logs, the generator and maybe my grill would be the only thing on it. Being in Alabama my main problem is outages due to tornadoes/hurricanes, but we are due for a 20 year snowstorm and the last one knocked out power for a week. 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#327 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Seeing this thread has been revived, here's my update:  as planned, I went ahead and got a portable generator and an interlock kit.  I bought a Smarter Tools GP9500EB from Costco.com last December for $800, no longer available there but this is the one > http://www.homedepot...07#.Uma8CXvD-70

My hope is that my monthly test runs I've been doing since purchasing it will be the only 'action' it ever sees.  :)

I'm curious as to what others did since our discussion last fall.  Rich? Diana?  Anyone else?

Vin

#328 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Seeing this thread has been revived, here's my update:  as planned, I went ahead and got a portable generator and an interlock kit.  I bought a Smarter Tools GP9500EB from Costco.com last December for $800, no longer available there but this is the one > http://www.homedepot...07#.Uma8CXvD-70

My hope is that my monthly test runs I've been doing since purchasing it will be the only 'action' it ever sees.  :)

I'm curious as to what others did since our discussion last fall.  Rich? Diana?  Anyone else?

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one.  My Costco generator is completely shot and I have to, at least, get a new one from a more reliable store or site.  I've received a couple estimates on whole house gennies and the installation costs are sky high around here. Seems as if all the A/C companies have found a new, very profitable money stream.  One company, Gold Medal, quoted me a price of $1,000 per KW.  So for that 14KW gennie that I'd want they'd charge at least $14,000.  My wife keeps asking about one, so I've really got no choice, I have to do something.

Rich 

#329 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one.  My Costco generator is completely shot and I have to, at least, get a new one from a more reliable store or site.  I've received a couple estimates on whole house gennies and the installation costs are sky high around here. Seems as if all the A/C companies have found a new, very profitable money stream.  One company, Gold Medal, quoted me a price of $1,000 per KW.  So for that 14KW gennie that I'd want they'd charge at least $14,000.  My wife keeps asking about one, so I've really got no choice, I have to do something.

Rich 

What??!! Living in Montclair, I'm familiar with the NJ markup, but if that price is for the generator alone, that is beyond ridiculous. I'm not saying the job was cheap, but we paid less than that for the 20kw Generac, installed, with the Nexus transfer switch, by a certified Generac contractor. (In fact, the install was more costly than the generator itself.)

Edited by sangs, 22 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#330 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

What??!! Living in Montclair, I'm familiar with the NJ markup, but if that price is for the generator alone, that is beyond ridiculous. I'm not saying the job was cheap, but we paid less than that for the 20kw Generac, installed, with the Nexus transfer switch, by a certified Generac contractor. (In fact, the install was more costly than the generator itself.)

Everything is included in Gold Medal's price.  

Rich

#331 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Honda Inverter + NG Conversion Kit + InterLock Kit. All set and tested every month or so.

Also The Energy Detective (TED) to track utilization with and without the generator. At this moment in time, pulling 1434 watts, usually fluctuates between 850-1500 watts without A/C, toaster, hairdryer, and microwave.

Just perfect.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#332 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

We did a 17kW Generac back in the spring.  $8400 all in (and they did a great job).  I've recommended them to several neighbors.  Haven't needed it yet, and I just signed up for an annual maintenance contract, so we'll do our first oil change soon.

As an interesting aside, PSE&G replaced our gas meter (the old one was rated at 250 cubic feet/hr, which is the consumption rate of the generator at full load) and we ended up with a $800 credit on our account. PSE&G never gave us a good explanation of why, just saying that it was due to "metering errors" with the old meter.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#333 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

I hope you wrote demanding an explanation and immediate reversal of the credit until they explained themselves.....

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#334 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I hope you wrote demanding an explanation and immediate reversal of the credit until they explained themselves.....

:)

This is what is to be expected of a good honest citizen!!!  !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#335 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,210 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

We did a 17kW Generac back in the spring.  $8400 all in (and they did a great job).  I've recommended them to several neighbors.  Haven't needed it yet, and I just signed up for an annual maintenance contract, so we'll do our first oil change soon.

As an interesting aside, PSE&G replaced our gas meter (the old one was rated at 250 cubic feet/hr, which is the consumption rate of the generator at full load) and we ended up with a $800 credit on our account. PSE&G never gave us a good explanation of why, just saying that it was due to "metering errors" with the old meter.

That price is about "right".  The 17kW will sell for about $3800 at HD, so you are about double for it plus installation. 

Whenever a gas meter is pulled, it must be tested.  Not sure of NJ law, but here if it is more than 2% fast, then a refund must be given back all the way to when it was installed.

My Setup

#336 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

That price is about "right".  The 17kW will sell for about $3800 at HD, so you are about double for it plus installation. 

Whenever a gas meter is pulled, it must be tested.  Not sure of NJ law, but here if it is more than 2% fast, then a refund must be given back all the way to when it was installed.

Considering that my brother in law was charged $600 for a new gas meter, I consider myself lucky. :)

Actually, we needed the 200amp Nexus switch (the house has 200 amp service) and the 17kW unit with the Nexus switch is over $4200 at Home Depot, so it is exactly double.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#337 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,051 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Considering that my brother in law was charged $600 for a new gas meter, I consider myself lucky. :)

Actually, we needed the 200amp Nexus switch (the house has 200 amp service) and the 17kW unit with the Nexus switch is over $4200 at Home Depot, so it is exactly double.

How on earth could the gas company ever charge anyone for a re has meter unless you physically damage it yourself? I've never heard if such a thing.

#338 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,208 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

If you need a meter capable of delivering more flow than the standard size, why would you be surprised that a utility would charge more for it? It probably costs them a lot more since it is a lower volume product, and they're using a commercial meter on a residence. One should just be happy they didn't have to replace the pipe from the street to your house, I'm sure that wouldn't be pretty, or cheap.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#339 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,102 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

How on earth could the gas company ever charge anyone for a re has meter unless you physically damage it yourself? I've never heard if such a thing.

As Slice1900 mentioned, the meter upgrade is to support the higher consumption rate, so it is considered a service upgrade (like adding DVR service to your DirecTV account requires you to actually have a DVR, usually at a cost).

Fortunately, I live in an area where we have high gas pressure. I don't know what they would do if your gas service couldn't deliver the specified minimum pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Current setup:

#340 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is NJ we're talking about here.  Nothing should surprise you.  Seriously, you gotta live here to appreciate just how loony the place can be at times.  Fortunately, I like loony.   :rolling:

Rich

• loudo likes this

#341 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

As Slice1900 mentioned, the meter upgrade is to support the higher consumption rate, so it is considered a service upgrade (like adding DVR service to your DirecTV account requires you to actually have a DVR, usually at a cost).

Fortunately, I live in an area where we have high gas pressure. I don't know what they would do if your gas service couldn't deliver the specified minimum pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had my meter checked and there is no problem with it.  

Rich

#342 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

One should just be happy they didn't have to replace the pipe from the street to your house, I'm sure that wouldn't be pretty, or cheap.

PSE&G tried to pull that with us - and was going to charge $7,000 to do so! However, they suggested that had we chosen to purchase and have our generator installed by them, that price wouldn't have been as steep. Needless to say, we found away around that exorbitant nonsense and it turns out we didn't even need it to be done for the generator to work as it's supposed to work. As Rich said, just the usual NJ looniness. 

• Rich likes this

#343 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

PSE&G tried to pull that with us - and was going to charge $7,000 to do so! However, they suggested that had we chosen to purchase and have our generator installed by them, that price wouldn't have been as steep. Needless to say, we found away around that exorbitant nonsense and it turns out we didn't even need it to be done for the generator to work as it's supposed to work. As Rich said, just the usual NJ looniness. 

Amazes me at times what goes on here.  The latest one that really got to me was installing electrical lines under the boardwalk at Seaside Heights (I think that's correct, not sure).  Who the hell allowed that?  Were they surprised when the whole thing burned up? Water is bad enough, salt water is corrosive and really conductive.  How did that happen...just Jersey being Jersey, I guess.

Rich 

• sangs likes this

#344 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, I just used the EZ-Switch that came with the 17kW.  Much more of a DIY product than the Nexus, plus I have a 2x200 Amp and it would have been hard to pick which one we wanted to use.  Would have had to move some things from one to the other and that would have been a PITA.

After I got it set up and an amp meter on it, other than when the A/C was starting we weren't pulling anywhere near the 66 amp capacity.  So I did some reconfiguring and now the 17kW will run everything in the house except the main floor A/C (5-ton) and the oven (water heaters and dryer are gas).

My Setup

#345 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

...Fortunately, I live in an area where we have high gas pressure. I don't know what they would do if your gas service couldn't deliver the specified minimum pressure...

The new model Generac's require only 3" of water gas pressure - no problem anywhere now.

#346 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Here if you can show you have a new for more pressure they have to upgrade the meter. No change. I don't even think thus upgrade you if you wanted more without any need for it. And I thought Cali had all the craziness to itself. :)

#347 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Here if you can show you have a new for more pressure they have to upgrade the meter. No change. I don't even think thus upgrade you if you wanted more without any need for it. And I thought Cali had all the craziness to itself. :)

NJ has always been a strange place.  Billy the Kid came from Jersey, I think...huh, just Googled it and he was born, perhaps, in NYC. Could have sworn it was Jersey.  Apparently, his birthplace is really unknown.

Rich

#348 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Just upgraded my meter recently to accommodate the generator. I only had a 200CFH meter, now 450. The meter was free but it was a few hundred dollars for my plumbing guy to change the piping for the new meter, and another thousand to run a pipe for the outside quick disconnect.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#349 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

NJ has always been a strange place.  Billy the Kid came from Jersey, I think...huh, just Googled it and he was born, perhaps, in NYC. Could have sworn it was Jersey.  Apparently, his birthplace is really unknown.

Rich

Between taxes, fees, tolls, tips and other assorted "Jersey Markups" as we call them, I'd venture to guess we're the most nickel-and-dimed state in the union. (NYC could argue that it is, but despite what they think over there, they're not a state. Or a nation, for that matter. ;) )

Edited by sangs, 26 October 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#350 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

The new model Generac's require only 3" of water gas pressure - no problem anywhere now.

How new?  Mine from summer of '12 required the full 7".

FYI, 1" WC = .58 oz per square inch. 

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...