Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#351 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

How new?  Mine from summer of '12 required the full 7".

FYI, 1" WC = .58 oz per square inch. 

You just missed the new 2013 models with the Evolution controllers and 5 year warranty (so did I- Dec '12). The Nexus models like yours run with a minimum 5" water column.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#352 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

One thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is while the generator may run fine on 3" of pressure you need to be sure your gas plumbing can flow enough gas at the low pressure to satisfy the demand. I have personal experience with that, at home I live in the country on a large lot, the house is about 80' from the gas meter.  I have 1" pipe all the way from the meter to the split between the furnace / water heater to flow enough gas.  At work we have 3" gas pipe running the length of the building but with a new furnace at the far end we exceeded the flow capacity of the pipe.  We had to bump the main distribution pressure and install regulators at each furnace to bring it back down

My Setup

#353 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Between taxes, fees, tolls, tips and other assorted "Jersey Markups" as we call them, I'd venture to guess we're the most nickel-and-dimed state in the union. (NYC could argue that it is, but despite what they think over there, they're not a state. Or a nation, for that matter. ;) )

They really get the short end of the stick when it comes to state taxes and stuff like that.  They'd be better off being a seperate entity, I think, instead of supporting the rest of the state.  

It's really kinda hard to compare NYC to NJ, tho.  I've always been amazed at the cost of things, like hamburgers, in the City.  

Rich

#354 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

One thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is while the generator may run fine on 3" of pressure you need to be sure your gas plumbing can flow enough gas at the low pressure to satisfy the demand.

I have plenty of pressure at my meter, but the plumbers who plumbed my house stepped down the  pipe size has they went a long.  It enters the house at 2" but steps down almost immediately to 1.25".   Had they run 2" all the way to the mechanical room I would have been able to tap it and run the pipe out and up to the generator.  As it is, I had to put a Tee at the meter and run 1.25" underground to the generator.  I now have plenty of gas.  Based on the tables, a 1" probably would have been enough at all but under full load, but the price difference between 1" and 1.25" was negligible and the ditch is the same size.

My Setup

#355 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

We had a slightly more difficult install because our gas line enters the house underground, through the center front of the foundation.  The basement is completely finished, with sheetrock walls and ceilings except for one area where all the plumbing stacks head upstairs, where there is a suspended ceiling about 4" lower than the sheetrock portion.  The plumber that did the generator work split the gas line at the meter and ran 1" flexible pipe ("yellow pipe") over to the suspended celing, through the wall that separated that section from the rest of the basement, then along the main floor joist to the outer wall.  The exposed pipe was then covered by the contractor.  The pressure at the generator read as 7" WC - more than enough, and the unit has been tested at maximum load.

• eandras likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#356 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

The gas supply lines are fiqured on size,length and btu's of appliances going to be installed at time of installation. Thats why it is stepped down after connections with appliances. The btu demand dropped off from that run.

#357 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

The gas supply lines are fiqured on size,length and btu's of appliances going to be installed at time of installation. Thats why it is stepped down after connections with appliances. The btu demand dropped off from that run.

I know why, it just creates more work later if you want to reconfigure things.  Save a few dollars when building to spent more later when remodeling. :(

My Setup

#358 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I installed a manual transfer switch that I purchased from Home Depot. 10 circuit unit that included the outside connection box. Made a 85 foot cable with 10/4 with ground to go from box to shed. Next I installed an outside natural gas line 1" diameter and ordered a hose with compatible quick disconnects to reach the shed . I ordered a tri fuel kit from us carburetor that will allow the generac gp5500 watt generator to run on natural gas, propane, or gasoline. When installing the transfer switch I made sure the directv system was connected. I actually run most of the house on the generator. This was done due to the time without power from sandy. I did this to my parents house in Florida when they had hurricane after hurricane a few years ago. They ran on natural gas for three week straight. The only time the generator was turned off was every 100 hours to change the oil. I run the generator 2 times a month for 2 to 3 hours.

Ed
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#359 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I shut off the main and plug mine into the welder outlet, works great. 

#360 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,871 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Which is called back feeding your panel. This is very dangerous, and violates code. The problem is, it is possible to feed your power outside your home if you forget to shut off the main, or if someone else turns it back on. The interlock capabilities of a cutover switch prevent that possibility.

#361 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,674 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

As a retired firefighter and licensed electrician, I would recommend you do yourself and your family a safety favor and install a transfer switch. It may work, but one wrong move could lead to disaster.

#362 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

I sometimes drive over the speed limit too. lol 

• loudo likes this

#363 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

You guys are funny,  Ground your generator, meet code, LOL

Sure I wouldn't back feed if you don't know what your doing., Like one said Transfer switch. :righton:

But codes and grounding, Gimmie a break!

I use a protable 10,000 watt generator everyday on many different jobs, you honestly think any of that is required?

Its NOT!

Don't touch it if you don't know what your doing, just like the same goes for the morons who run their generator indoors.

Sit in the dark!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#364 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

https://www.osha.gov...t_generator.pdf

Grounding Requirements for Portable
and Vehicle-mounted Generators

Under the following conditions, OSHA
directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be
grounded (connected to earth) and that the
frame may serve as the ground (in place of
the earth):
• The generator supplies only equipment
mounted on the generator and/or cord and
plug-connected equipment through
receptacles mounted on the generator,

§ 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and

• The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of
equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal
combustion engine, and the generator’s
housing) are bonded to the generator
frame, and the equipment grounding conductor
terminals (of the power receptacles
that are a part of [mounted on] the generator)
are bonded to the generator frame,
§ 1926.404

Thus, rather than connect to a grounding

electrode system, such as a driven ground

rod, the generator’s frame replaces the

grounding electrode.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#365 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Which is called back feeding your panel. This is very dangerous, and violates code. The problem is, it is possible to feed your power outside your home if you forget to shut off the main, or if someone else turns it back on. The interlock capabilities of a cutover switch prevent that possibility.

I've done just that for many folks who were out of power and it always makes me nervous.  But, when people need power, that is the path of least resistance.  After the snowstorm before Sandy and then Sandy, none of our local stores had electric dryer plugs or receptacles left in them.

Rich  

#366 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

You guys are funny,  Ground your generator, meet code, LOL

Sure I wouldn't back feed if you don't know what your doing., Like one said Transfer switch. :righton:

But codes and grounding, Gimmie a break!

I use a protable 10,000 watt generator everyday on many different jobs, you honestly think any of that is required?

Its NOT!

Don't touch it if you don't know what your doing, just like the same goes for the morons who run their generator indoors.

Sit in the dark!

I've never seen anyone run a gennie indoors, but I have seen people using hibachis indoors.  Same result, just takes longer. Morons abound.

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#367 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Not only that, but to plug it into the welder outlet, you must use a suicide or widowmaker cord.

Do it right.

My Setup

#368 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Not only that, but to plug it into the welder outlet, you must use a suicide or widowmaker cord.

Do it right.

eh I don't really love her that much anyway. 

• Rich likes this

#369 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

eh I don't really love her that much anyway. 

That cracked me up!  

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...