Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Then what's the point of having it? I have seen enough destroyed CBs in my working life to be just a bit leery of them.

Then you might as well get the whole home genny. Much safer.

Rich

The point is the portable is much cheaper, you can also use it for other things, it's a lot less work to install, and you can take it with you if you ever move.

Those things obviously won't be important to everyone, but for someone like me who is low on cash at the moment, the portable option is sounding pretty good. Plus, I live in an earthquake area so if I ever need to use it for an extended period of time, chances are there won't be any natural gas anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I just sent an email to 101.5 asking them to bring up the question of forcing all gas stations to be equipped with emergency generators as Florida does. If they can get the ball rolling, you're right. If things stay the same and your power goes out for 7 weeks, as is still happening is some places, where do you get the gas for a stretch like that?

Yeah, it's a gamble.

Rich

Good idea. It sure makes life easier after a storm, even if they just require them to be able to run their pumps. Well, I guess they also need to run the computer and cash registers.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#283 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Does anyone have a quick answer to this: How long would two large propane tanks last running a whole home genny? My mother and father's home never had NG and we had propane tanks just to cook with. I have no idea if two of them would last weeks or months running a whole home genny.

Rich

Rich, the average tank size is 120 gal, they use for whole home generators,and how long they last depends on how big the unit is and how much wattage it is producing. I posted a chart I got from one of my estimates in this post. Maybe it will help you. My gas guy put in 2 - 120 gal tanks (hooked together) for my 14k Generac and we also use LP from them for the gas fireplace.

#284 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

With the generator arriving today, I'm now more convinced then ever that portable was the right decision, especially after tracking usage with TED all day.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#285 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Then what's the point of having it? I have seen enough destroyed CBs in my working life to be just a bit leery of them.

Then you might as well get the whole home genny. Much safer.

Rich

A generator that runs on natural gas is likely to be as useless as your regular electrical service if you have a bad enough earthquake... I think the choice is somewhat dependent where you live to be honest.

#286 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

A generator that runs on natural gas is likely to be as useless as your regular electrical service if you have a bad enough earthquake... I think the choice is somewhat dependent where you live to be honest.

I liked having the unlimited supply of natural gas when we lived in Florida, but where we live in Maine, we are to far out in the country. You can only get it in the populated areas of the city.

Also, the generators output less wattage using NG than you do with LP. My Generac 14K shows an output of 14k with LP and only 13K with NG.

#287 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

The point is the portable is much cheaper, you can also use it for other things, it's a lot less work to install, and you can take it with you if you ever move.

I know the portable is cheaper, I realize a lot of folks can't afford the big ones. If that legislature passes, I might not get a whole house genny. I would get one more portable generator tho. Another thing to consider is the value added to your home if you sell it.

Those things obviously won't be important to everyone, but for someone like me who is low on cash at the moment, the portable option is sounding pretty good. Plus, I live in an earthquake area so if I ever need to use it for an extended period of time, chances are there won't be any natural gas anyway.

Hmm. Never considered earthquakes. Good point.

Rich

#288 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Good idea. It sure makes life easier after a storm, even if they just require them to be able to run their pumps. Well, I guess they also need to run the computer and cash registers.

Many of our gas stations aren't car repair facilities, they just pump gas. I'd think a couple portables would be enough for a small station. Of course, the bill's in the legislature now and nobody knows what the outcome will be.

Rich

#289 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Rich, the average tank size is 120 gal, they use for whole home generators,and how long they last depends on how big the unit is and how much wattage it is producing. I posted a chart I got from one of my estimates in this post. Maybe it will help you. My gas guy put in 2 - 120 gal tanks (hooked together) for my 14k Generac and we also use LP from them for the gas fireplace.

I saw that post, wasn't considering propane so I didn't pay much attention to it. So a 14K genny running at half power would eat up a 120 gallon tank in ~ 60 hours of running. Back to the NG. Thanx for the link.

Rich

#290 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Agreed. We've never had our gas go out in the over 26 years we've lived in our house, but that means nothing.

Rich

#291 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I liked having the unlimited supply of natural gas when we lived in Florida, but where we live in Maine, we are to far out in the country. You can only get it in the populated areas of the city.

Also, the generators output less wattage using NG than you do with LP. My Generac 14K shows an output of 14k with LP and only 13K with NG.

Been to the middle of Maine. Went to Millinocket for a week. Not much up there. Too bad you can't get a wood powered genny. Seriously.

Rich

#292 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Been thinking about those big diesel generators we had at work. They also had batteries to keep the power on briefly and start the diesel engines. Each had a bank of 6 cell batteries that would output 120V and that was changed to AC if the power went out.

So, what do the whole home gennys do for power between losing power and starting up? Gotta be a battery and that means it's gotta be on a charger of some sort. More maintenance.

I'd like to see the electrical drawings for these things before we buy one.

Rich

#293 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

...So, what do the whole home gennys do for power between losing power and starting up? Gotta be a battery and that means it's gotta be on a charger of some sort. More maintenance.

I'd like to see the electrical drawings for these things before we buy one.

Rich

With Generacs and other air cooled generators, power will be off for 10 to 30 seconds during startup. There is a battery with a smart charger for startup and control.

This is the one I am getting and wiring and manuals are in pdf downloads on this page:

http://www.electricg...ator/p6952.html

#294 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I ran my 10KW Generac for a week (mostly at idle, as the power draw was low) and used about 100-125 gallons of LP.

Steve

My Setup

#295 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well, the decision is now out of my hands. My wife wants the whole home genny and when she wants something...

Rich

#296 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I ran my 10KW Generac for a week (mostly at idle, as the power draw was low) and used about 100-125 gallons of LP.

I'm looking at a month's running. Might as well prepare for the worst, even if it's never needed.

Rich

#297 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Well, the decision is now out of my hands. My wife wants the whole home genny and when she wants something...

Rich

I would agree with her, especially after last winter, up here. I had my manual system, which I still have until the 14k whole house unit comes in next month, and I needed it three times. Every time it was as a result of snow or ice. All three times it was at night, so I had to go out and shovel the pad off, and try to set it up in the dark. Plus having to go out there and re-fuel it every few hours was a pain.

#298 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi. Whether you go with whole home or not, it may be worth the time to totally understand your watt usage, by circuit breaker, by 120v leg, and in total, with averages and peaks.

I went the inverter route, and I now have all the parts for the complete system, and just completed the energy analysis.

Using the TED Gateway and the iPhone app, it was bothering me that the house was always hovering between 700-1000 watts, with a usual daily high about 2500ish, with today at 3,052 watts, week peak at 5,826 watts.

I wanted to understand every watt and especially what was in the daily steady 700-1000 watts with no lights on, and just mapped it all out. It does take several hours, if not days, to figure it all out.

I still have some work to do, to understand usage per 120v leg of the panel, but I'm finding this very important.

And in my case the DirecTV equipment is not insignificant and a chunk of the steady state, and takes planning.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#299 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi. Whether you go with whole home or not, it may be worth the time to totally understand your watt usage, by circuit breaker, by 120v leg, and in total, with averages and peaks.

I went the inverter route, and I now have all the parts for the complete system, and just completed the energy analysis.

Using the TED Gateway and the iPhone app, it was bothering me that the house was always hovering between 700-1000 watts, with a usual daily high about 2500ish, with today at 3,052 watts, week peak at 5,826 watts.

I wanted to understand every watt and especially what was in the daily steady 700-1000 watts with no lights on, and just mapped it all out. It does take several hours, if not days, to figure it all out.

I still have some work to do, to understand usage per 120v leg of the panel, but I'm finding this very important.

And in my case the DirecTV equipment is not insignificant and a chunk of the steady state, and takes planning.

My D* equipment is a load (pun intended) too. 12 HRs and 8 plasma TVs add up.

Doesn't matter, the wife has spoken and there's no real argument I can think of against a whole home genny.

About the wattage. I won't be able to get the genny installed for quite a while because it seems as if everyone in NJ is in the process of buying one. I'll probably wait until things calm down before I do any preliminary planning. I want to buy a genny that exceeds my normal wattage use in the summer by 20%. The 80% rule should hold true with a genny.

Rich

#300 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I want to buy a genny that exceeds my normal wattage use in the summer by 20%. The 80% rule should hold true with a genny.

Open your wallet. The 17 & 20kW Generacs are not meant for that. They are meant to be able to get you by for a few days to a week or two. Yes, they can run for several weeks, but that is not really what they are meant for.

To do what you are suggesting, you probably need to start looking at a 45kW or higher and a 200a transfer switch. Your price points tripled.

The 16 circuits we have (actually 15 as one is 240v) will get us by. We have A/C or heat (more heat than A/C because the heat is gas), the refrigerators, 2 TV's, hot water (also gas), alarm panel (smokes are integrated) and some lights. Would it be ideal to live this way for a month? No. But it sure beats the alternative.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

spam firewall