Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

...About the wattage. I won't be able to get the genny installed for quite a while because it seems as if everyone in NJ is in the process of buying one. I'll probably wait until things calm down before I do any preliminary planning. I want to buy a genny that exceeds my normal wattage use in the summer by 20%. The 80% rule should hold true with a genny.

Rich

You really ought to take a hard look at Generac's Nexus Service Disconnect 200A switch with load shedding. All you need is a generator with KW rating for critical power needs (including items like well pumps and sewage pumps) and comfort needs, and with a little discipline and load understanding during a power outage, you can get by with a smaller generator than you think. Lower cost, gas consumption, and noise level can result.

With my house, the 10KW unit works (the smallest with the Nexus switch), but I have to increase my gas meter size. Elizabethtown Gas does that at no charge.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Open your wallet. The 17 & 20kW Generacs are not meant for that. They are meant to be able to get you by for a few days to a week or two. Yes, they can run for several weeks, but that is not really what they are meant for.

Why can't they run longer?

To do what you are suggesting, you probably need to start looking at a 45kW or higher and a 200a transfer switch. Your price points tripled.

That's not gonna happen. I'd move to PA first.

The 16 circuits we have (actually 15 as one is 240v) will get us by. We have A/C or heat (more heat than A/C because the heat is gas), the refrigerators, 2 TV's, hot water (also gas), alarm panel (smokes are integrated) and some lights. Would it be ideal to live this way for a month? No. But it sure beats the alternative.

Well, some folks are going on almost 2 months without electricity in the City.

Still have plenty of time. Been thinking of buying an "emergency" home.

Rich

#303 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

You really ought to take a hard look at Generac's Nexus Service Disconnect 200A switch with load shedding. All you need is a generator with KW rating for critical power needs (including items like well pumps and sewage pumps) and comfort needs, and with a little discipline and load understanding during a power outage, you can get by with a smaller generator than you think. Lower cost, gas consumption, and noise level can result.

With my house, the 10KW unit works (the smallest with the Nexus switch), but I have to increase my gas meter size. Elizabethtown Gas does that at no charge.

That switch was my choice also and the one they are putting on my 14kw Generac.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#304 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

We're not familiar with each other. I've been an electrician for 40 years. I understand the electrical parts of this, the gas part is something I can deal with. I think I'll give PSE&G a call and see if they'll change the meter out at no charge also. Thanx for that idea.

Rich

#305 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Why can't they run longer?

They "can" do it, it is just not what they are designed for. Just change the oil once a week and they will keep running.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#306 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

They "can" do it, it is just not what they are designed for. Just change the oil once a week and they will keep running.

That makes me feel a bit better... :)

Rich

#307 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I said the same thing with generacs. At 3600 rpm nothings going to last. U have to change the oil once a week if ur going to run it non stop. It only holds 2 qts.

The nexus switch is just a name. All there switches have been the same but there just controlling it with a electronic controller called the nexus. Its automatic like they always been but its just a digital readout. For the money generac is the way to go. But buyer beware!

#308 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Most commercial generators are 1800 RPM and not 3600 RPM.

They are also liquid cooled - not air cooled.

There is a reason for both if you want long term use (especially with Generac units).

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 December 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#309 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Yep yep. Hence why there not made to run for long periods of time

#310 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Anyone think they'll need it for this:

https://pbs.twimg.co...A3AQx.jpg:large
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#311 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I just called Generac and they told me that the residential gennys can run continuously and that they have indicators for the oil that tell you if the pressure is bad or if something else is wrong. I asked about using synthetic oil, which I use in all my cars, and was told I could.

In their FAQ I found this:

Unlike other engines, used in backup power generation, Generac OHVI engines are made specifically for generators. They are engineered to run for the long periods of time required during a severe power outage or on a job site, utilizing the same type of pressurized oil lubrication used to give automobile engines long and trouble-free lives.

I'm feeling a lot better about the Generacs now. I also asked if they actually used a generator or an alternator in the whole home units and it is an alternator.

I also asked about running them for a month or more and was told to just keep an eye on the unit's readouts and I'd be fine.

Rich

#312 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I just called Generac and they told me that the residential gennys can run continuously and that they have indicators for the oil that tell you if the pressure is bad or if something else is wrong. I asked about using synthetic oil, which I use in all my cars, and was told I could.

Unlike other engines, used in backup power generation, Generac OHVI engines are made specifically for generators. They are engineered to run for the long periods of time required during a severe power outage or on a job site, utilizing the same type of pressurized oil lubrication used to give automobile engines long and trouble-free lives.

I'm feeling a lot better about the Generacs now. I also asked if they actually used a generator or an alternator in the whole home units and it is an alternator.

I also asked about running them for a month or more and was told to just keep an eye on the unit's readouts and I'd be fine.

Rich

That is my reason for selecting generac for my backup system.

#313 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

My dealer recommends checking the oil level every couple of days, but otherwise no problem with extended running. I note that with LP/NG, the oil stays clear as compared to a gasoline engine where it turns dark almost immediately.

Steve

My Setup

#314 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I asked about using synthetic oil, which I use in all my cars, and was told I could.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30. Generac's oil recommendations are a bit screwy. The winter oil and summer oil have very little overlap. So in the shoulder months where it could be 60 during the day and 30 at night, they really don't have a good recommended oil for those periods.

So I called and asked about using the 5W-30 synthetic year-round and was told it was OK.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#315 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Anyone think they'll need it for this:

https://pbs.twimg.co...A3AQx.jpg:large

Not likely. Just because we get snow does it mean the world is coming to an end.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#316 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Rich

No matter what you might have found in their FAQs, the residential Generacs are listed as "Standby Generators". On the surface, that makes sense, as you don't use them 24/7/365. But dig deeper and you will find they are called that because they are meant for short duration standby use, not continuous use for a period of time. They even state that in their owners manual.

Generacs are known for issues running longer periods of time instead of short term standby. Have plenty of oil and filters ready if you plan for using it more than ~ day.

As noted above, that is why commercial generators are 1800 RPM instead of 3600 RPM and liquid cooled instead of air cooled.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 20 December 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#317 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thanks there somerandomidiot!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#318 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

I have a Generac 10KW standby generator and it ran continuously for a week and a half after an ice storm a couple of years ago.The generator-specializing company who installed it told me that it would be fine, but they recommended shutting it down every couple of days to check the oil.

Steve

My Setup

#319 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have a Generac 10KW standby generator and it ran continuously for a week and a half after an ice storm a couple of years ago.The generator-specializing company who installed it told me that it would be fine, but they recommended shutting it down every couple of days to check the oil.

That is what I was told by the company that installed my unit.

#320 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 695 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Running a Generac 16KW residential unit since July, 2008. Replaced filter in spring 2010 and changed oil to Mobil 1- 5W-30 after talking with the Generac production facility a couple miles away from my house.

Just replaced the battery in it last weekend since they only last 5 years, the oil is clean even after 3 years, and the exerciser runs it 10 minutes every week. Not many outages at all, the longest was for 6 hours two years ago.

These units are hard to blow up, and look at the beating portable generators take on construction job sites running all day long for years.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

spam firewall