Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,388 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Especially since OSHA's authority doesn't extend to military/combat related equipment or operations.

Take you a long time to root thru the Net to figure that out? OSHA doesn't even cover federal buildings.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

If you are going to backfeed your panel, use an interlock kit so you can't goof up while running the genny. Pretty simple. http://www.interlockkit.com/

#63 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I can't believe customers are so addicted to TV, they insist on running TV/IRD's/SWM off a generator. How pathetic is that?

Nothing pathetic or addictive about that. If you have a whole house or a large KW generator, to heat or cool your home when the power is out, it will power everything in your home.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#64 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I can't believe customers are so addicted to TV, they insist on running TV/IRD's/SWM off a generator. How pathetic is that?

Is it really any worse than putting Directv in a motor home?

I have Directv in my motor home, and I love it. I have been following this thread so I can hopefully learn how to use a generator to power my house (including Directv) during a power outage.

It may be pathetic, I guess, but I think it's pretty awesome that people have figured out how to do it and they are willing to share that knowledge.

I look forward to setting it up myself someday when I can afford it.

#65 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

The generator, no. But TV isn't essential. Generators are meant for essential functions. I got so many calls this past week from Sandy idiots, and they all whined about their boxes not working on generator. What spoiled boobs.

That is true, it is not essential, but when I lived in Florida and we lost power for 10 days, due to a hurricane, and it sure was nice to be able to watch TV using the generator. All my non generator neighbors were over at our house at night. I made them bring the popcorn and beer.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#66 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

That is true, it is not essential, but when I lived in Florida and we lost power for 10 days, due to a hurricane, and it sure was nice to be able to watch TV using the generator. All my non generator neighbors were over at our house at night. I made them bring the popcorn and beer.

I bet! My power has been out since last Monday...no heat, no lights, no internet (I'm at my MIL house right now) and NO TV! We were supposed to be back up and running on Saturday but like a lot of other people, our estimated restoration date has come and gone and we are freeeeeeeeezing! And bored! :) Never experienced anything like this....will be prepared for the next time!
Vin

#67 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Is TV an essential? That depends on the person, and on what you want to watch. Personally, TV is pretty important if for no other reason than to watch the news and get important information from local authorities. Beyond that, some recreation in a time of emergency can be a huge stress reliever, and that too is important. So while on one hand I want to agree with the sentiment that television isn't or shouldn't be an essential, on the other hand there is no denying there is some important use for it. For those who are able to keep their systems going, more power to them (no pun intended).

#68 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

OSHA doesn't even cover federal buildings.

Actually, it does, with some exceptions.

#69 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Watch these cheap China made generators as they produce what is called "dirty power" (high voltage spikes), due to loads swtiching in and out, such as, refridgerators, pumps, etc. You can fry you DVR's, TV's and other sensitive electronics (Cell phones, computers, etc.).

The better Honda converter type generators have much better control over voltage spikes.

Call the generator tech support and ask about this, most of the time they reply with good luck.

Check out Hardy Diesel, they stock a wide variety of diesel and NG generators. The Perkins units are very decent quality.

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

#70 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Check out Hardy Diesel, they stock a wide variety of diesel and NG generators. The Perkins units are very decent quality.

Excellent quality but not as fuel efficient as the Kubotas.
In a ten day cycle we measured a one day fuel advantage with the Kubota powered diesels over JD, CAT, Perkins, and Onan with the same load.
This experience is with the 40KW units only. I have no data from other sizes.

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#71 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Aye, they do, but still incredibly dumb.

Amazing :eek2:

Do they at least kill the main breaker to the panel (to isolate from the grid) when they do that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#72 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Eh. Get an electrician to properly wire a transfer switch for you, then it is quite a simple matter for Joe Homeowner to plug in his portable genny. This is how a lot of folks here in FL handle hurricane prep. Not all of us can afford the initial and ongoing cost of a permanent whole home genny.

I would recommend having any generator installed professionally. DIY is OK for some home project, but not for a generator install.

The best way to do it is go to a company that sells and installs generators. It may cost a few dollars more initially but will make your home a lot safer than you trying to figure out instructions for a DIY project.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#73 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

You're trying extra hard to make enemies up here.....

I've long taken the stance up here that TV isn't a life changing thing, or even necessary, and in fact, some folks up here just blow my mind with their apparently TV-centric lives. That being said - I once went without power (hurricane Wilma) for 6 weeks. TV certainly wasn't essential, but when your life is disrupted to that degree, for that length of time, it is certainly a nice to have distraction. Especially during football season.

I tried early on to help you out, and in fact I love your twitter feed, but your ongoing and relentless animosity is unsettling.

The generator, no. But TV isn't essential. Generators are meant for essential functions. I got so many calls this past week from Sandy idiots, and they all whined about their boxes not working on generator. What spoiled boobs.

#74 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Is TV an essential?

I suspect that if we were thrust into a situation the likes of Sandra, a modicum of understanding that the whole World has not come to a grizzly end is pretty important. I still can't explain the tailgating thing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#75 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

TV is essential during a disaster like this. I had no phone or internet. What if there was an emergency evac or something? That's why I needed it. I have no cell service here either. Don't just assume everybody is just whining brats.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#76 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

That being said. My Powerhorse generator I got from Northerntool worked great though. I got the 7000 watt version. It powered my whole house! I was mostly interested in the well pump/heat and Fridge. But being able to watch TV(Cable was out the whole week, thank god for DirecTV) was great!
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#77 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Having been personally and directly through 5 hurricanes, numerous tropical storms, and more near misses than I can count, I have to disagree and say that TV is not, in fact, essential. Radio, yes. TV, meh. Emergency evac? Um... in a hurricane, you've either left before hand, or you're hunkering down. You aren't moving about during.

TV is essential during a disaster like this. I had no phone or internet. What if there was an emergency evac or something? That's why I needed it. I have no cell service here either. Don't just assume everybody is just whining brats.

#78 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Radio? Have no need to hear the latest hits. TV gives me eyes on the ground. And like I said. I had no other communication. No Phone, Internet, Nothing. Now maybe emergency evac was a bad example in this case(Hurricane). But it was just AN EXAMPLE! Who knows what else, jeez I had no idea of the GAS problems until I saw it on TV. There are many other examples. The point is TV is essential.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

#79 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

You can get all that info just fine on the radio. You've been sucked into TV too far :D:D

#80 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

+1
When we took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike it was extremely nice that DTV was working and the cable was out.
We got information about damages, roads closed , where not to go, places that were open and had food or gas for the generator.
We have 2 small window unit ACs for emergency or if the main AC goes out and has to be repaired.
The 5500 watt generator ran the Refrigerator, the 2 window units, 3 TV systems.
My kids and their kids came here to stay where it was cooler, had cold drinks and could see the info on the TVs.
The little ones just wanted to watch TV.
I have natural gas for cooking, clothes drying and hot water.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...