Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Maybe ten years ago that would have been the case, but these days radio is only good if you live in an area with a decent nightime signal or have a local staff that wasn't let go in favor of a satellite format from Clear Channel where the few local news breaks are taped in advanced and voicetracked by someone in San Antonio who can't pronounce any of the local names correctly. The AM stations here in Northeast PA have nighttime signals that barely make it outside of the city limits, and instead of doing the smart thing and having the FM stations simulcast their sister AM station that actually had news like NYC and Philly did, they just aired their regular playlist. Then of course the owner of the only local station in the Poconos is in a bankruptcy auction with a barebones staff, so in previous years where they were the station to turn to during storms, they were useless.

On the otherhand, the TV stations stepped up to the game and provided regular updates during the day and had emergency info on a ticker when needed.

Edited by KyL416, 07 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yikes, makes me glad to have WLW. The government forced them to reduce power, but still has a large range.

#83 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

+1
When we took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike it was extremely nice that DTV was working and the cable was out.
We got information about damages, roads closed , where not to go, places that were open and had food or gas for the generator.
We have 2 small window unit ACs for emergency or if the main AC goes out and has to be repaired.
The 550 watt generator ran the Refrigerator, the 2 window units, 3 TV systems.
My kids and their kids came here to stay where it was cooler, had cold drinks and could see the info on the TVs.
The little ones just wanted to watch TV.
I have natural gas for cooking, clothes drying and hot water.

I'm guessing you meant 5500 watt ;)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Radio? Have no need to hear the latest hits. TV gives me eyes on the ground. And like I said. I had no other communication. No Phone, Internet, Nothing. Now maybe emergency evac was a bad example in this case(Hurricane). But it was just AN EXAMPLE! Who knows what else, jeez I had no idea of the GAS problems until I saw it on TV. There are many other examples. The point is TV is essential.

You can get all that info just fine on the radio. You've been sucked into TV too far :D:D

TV is not perfect, but radio has gone downhill to the point where it is not as useful as it once was. The digital TV conversion helped radio (less portable devices that could tune a usable signal) but TV can get a lot more information across in a limited amount of time.

If one is to the point in a disaster where one CAN set up a generator then the portability drawbacks of DTV are reduced.

As an example - the last major weather event that hit my home we lost satellite due to the extreme cloud cover and torrential rain. (It was one of those rain storms where the cable company loses their satellite reception on their big dishes.) We had power and internet so I was watching NWS weather radar on my laptop with TV streamed from an OTA tuner (HD Homerun) to see the weather warnings and progress of the storm.

I never considered turning on a radio ... most the local stations are automated and the only information they would broadcast would be the Emergency Alerts I was seeing online and repeated on TV. (On radio, if one misses the EAS broadcast the information is missed ... back to Otto Mation and the music machine!)

The last major power outage where I am was an ice storm. Once the immediate danger of the storm passed and we waited for the power crews to restore power, cranking up the generator and watching TV made perfect sense. Satellite TV even more so as the cable system was down (since they relied on commercial power).

I have the generator so I can run the water pump (flush toilets! yay!), run the gas furnace (heat! yay!) and fridge (keep food safe! yay!) and have a few lights on (no candles, no fires). But if I can also run a TV and satellite receiver why not?

#85 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

A major hurricane takes down broadcast towers and distribution centers. In my area, after Wilma, local radio survived oddly enough, and the local TV stations utilized that resource and provided local news until their towers and broadcasting ability was restored. I'm not sure how many of you have actually been through a real disaster. I have been, Andrew was my first - I'm not talking run of the mill winter storms, even nor' easters - I'm talking real destructive events that disable large swaths of a state for large periods of a time. In such an event, TV pales in comparison to real life and real life struggle. Mind you, I'm not arguing TV is useless. I am, and have always, argued that TV takes a far too elevated a position in modern society, (and certainly up here :D ). It's nice to have sure, but one can never sell me that it's "essential"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#86 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Watch this video and you will see a good reason for having a back up generator, to keep you informed during a storm. This hurricane was my first experience with owning one. I will never go without one again. Some of you may recognize Brian Norcross, who is now with the Weather Channel.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#87 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm guessing you meant 5500 watt ;)

Yes, thanks. I fixed it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

A major hurricane takes down broadcast towers and distribution centers.

Radio uses towers too!

Crank up the generator and tune to The Weather Channel or national news network of your choice. Hurricanes rarely take those down. (And when you are bored with the news, watch ESPN or something else as a diversion.)

If the kids want disaster coverage they can look out the window ... if they want Spongebob (and you want The Daily Show) you are going to need satellite. :D

#89 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Yikes, makes me glad to have WLW. The government forced them to reduce power, but still has a large range.

They're still operating a nondirectional signal at 50,000 watts, the most an AM station is allowed -- or are you referring to 70 years ago, when their temporary authorization for 500,000 watts was not renewed?
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#90 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

You can get all that info just fine on the radio. You've been sucked into TV too far :D:D

You must live somewhere with local radio choices. Aside from a college FM station, likely to be off the air, the TV stations 50 miles away are more likely to show what's going on in my county - than their radio stations are to even know what's happening.

#91 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

My local radio stations are substantially automated outside of business day hours so they're not a whole lot of use. The stations further away are a mix of automation, pre-recorded programs (including syndicated offerings) and live.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#92 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

My local radio stations are substantially automated outside of business day hours so they're not a whole lot of use. The stations further away are a mix of automation, pre-recorded programs (including syndicated offerings) and live.

I would say tv is essential after a disaster like a hurricane. Is there a less effective alternative? Sure, in some cases radio can be used instead.

Which brings us to the question, what is really essential? Would you say water is essential? Even though you could technically get by with diet Pepsi?

Is a fridge essential? Even though you could technically get by with a cooler?

Is a furnace essential? Even though you can technically get by with a sleeping bag?

My opinion is, yes, these things are essential. Even though there are some less effective alternatives.

#93 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Correct, but in my example after Wilma, the radio remained broadcasting. TV, no.

And I'll reiterate to the others - TV does not elevate to essential. Essential is air, water, food, shelter.... Of course, me saying this on this website, well.... that's a fairly useless thing to do :lol:

Radio uses towers too!

:D

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#94 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

You must live somewhere with local radio choices. Aside from a college FM station, likely to be off the air, the TV stations 50 miles away are more likely to show what's going on in my county - than their radio stations are to even know what's happening.

Yeah, both of my local college stations were broadcasting dead air during the brunt of Sandy.

#95 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Correct, but in my example after Wilma, the radio remained broadcasting. TV, no.

And I'm sure one could list examples that went either way ...
I approached the question with the premise "I cranked up my generator to watch TV". At the point in the weather inconveniences I have suffered that I got to the point of turning on the generator pretty much the entire broadcast community had already done so (or never lost the ability to transmit). So I had the choice of TV or radio or satellite.

Given the choice of all that and the ability to run a generator powering satellite TV isn't a bad choice. But if I had to choose between watching satellite and flushing the toilets (I'm not connected to city water) the toilets come first.

#96 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ok, this discussion thread has got to me. Today I called 3 places to get estimates on the installation of a whole house system, to replace the manual switches and portable 5600 watt generator I now have. I started thinking of one storm last winter when we had a foot of snow and lost power. I had to shovel the pad and hook the generator up in the dark. Then every so often go back outside and take down the table I had over the generator for protection and fill the gas tank.

They are coming for the estimates next week.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#97 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

If you have a source of power, why not run a TV. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#98 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

loudo, you will never regret that decision

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#99 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

:righton::righton: Agreed

And I'm sure one could list examples that went either way ...
I approached the question with the premise "I cranked up my generator to watch TV". At the point in the weather inconveniences I have suffered that I got to the point of turning on the generator pretty much the entire broadcast community had already done so (or never lost the ability to transmit). So I had the choice of TV or radio or satellite.

Given the choice of all that and the ability to run a generator powering satellite TV isn't a bad choice. But if I had to choose between watching satellite and flushing the toilets (I'm not connected to city water) the toilets come first.

#100 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Agree on the water for sure Our city water was out for several days so i rigged a couple of hoses and fed our house from the sprinkler pump. Didn't realize how good our well was, softer water than the city's:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...