Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,690 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Agree on the water for sure Our city water was out for several days so i rigged a couple of hoses and fed our house from the sprinkler pump. Didn't realize how good our well was, softer water than the city's:)

Did you BACKFEED your home? :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I would say tv is essential after a disaster like a hurricane. Is there a less effective alternative? Sure, in some cases radio can be used instead.

Which brings us to the question, what is really essential? Would you say water is essential? Even though you could technically get by with diet Pepsi?

Is a fridge essential? Even though you could technically get by with a cooler?

Is a furnace essential? Even though you can technically get by with a sleeping bag?

My opinion is, yes, these things are essential. Even though there are some less effective alternatives.

Well, the election sealed the fate of OTA TV. The UHF band will be given to the cell phone companies for data, as they have run out of bandwidth on existing frequencies.

One of the heads of the wireless phone companies said earlier this year that DTV better get used to VHF if they want to continue to broadcast.

An older FCC proposal was to limit each DMA to just six channels, using subchannels where needed (effectively the end of HD OTA).The new proposal has several options, to allow a station to be paid to relocate, to voluntarily relocate to a lower frequency; or to just be bought out and forced off the air (using proceeds of the bandwidth sale).

The cost of changing antennas, transmitters and getting a useful frequency asssignment for the second time in less than 10 years will cause many stations to go out of business or go internet only.

That begs the question of 'must carry'. DirecTV and Dish have put billions into putting up larger than needed satellites to support spot beams to send locals as part of 'must carry'. If 2/3rds of the stations go away, what does that mean to the satellite companies who could have built smaller and lower cost birds?

Finally, if 2/3rds of the affiliates go away, more than likely so will the four networks and their news departments, at best becoming another cable channel.

Edited by V'ger, 10 November 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#103 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Well, the election sealed the fate of OTA TV. The UHF band will be given to the cell phone companies for data, as they have run out of bandwidth on existing frequencies.

One of the heads of the wireless phone companies said earlier this year that DTV better get used to VHF if they want to continue to broadcast.

An older FCC proposal was to limit each DMA to just six channels, using subchannels where needed (effectively the end of HD OTA).The new proposal has several options, to allow a station to be paid to relocate, to voluntarily relocate to a lower frequency; or to just be bought out and forced off the air (using proceeds of the bandwidth sale).

The cost of changing antennas, transmitters and getting a useful frequency asssignment for the second time in less than 10 years will cause many stations to go out of business or go internet only.

That begs the question of 'must carry'. DirecTV and Dish have put billions into putting up larger than needed satellites to support spot beams to send locals as part of 'must carry'. If 2/3rds of the stations go away, what does that mean to the satellite companies who could have built smaller and lower cost birds?

Finally, if 2/3rds of the affiliates go away, more than likely so will the four networks and their news departments, at best becoming another cable channel.

Can you give a source for this? (without getting political which is not permitted here) While the original digital conversion did give channels 52 - 69 over to other users I have heard nothing about giving up the whole UHF band.
My Setup

#104 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

He did, and he killed three plumbers who were working on the main line when the water came back on. :lol:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#105 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

There has been, for several years (and administrations) rebanding to provide more bandwidth for both cellular data as well as nationwide LTE conversion for public safety. Nothing in the recent election has/had anything to do with this in any way.

This doesn't even make sense, as DirecTV has never used UHF or VHF. Direct Broadcast Satellite operates way above anything terrestrial television uses.

Can you please provide links/references to the "new proposal".

Again, please provide links/references to anything that is requiring any currently on-air station to change frequencies again.

Even if there was another rebanding that mandated stations to change frequencies (of which there is none I am aware of), it is questionable if that would cause any, let alone 2/3rds, to go out of business. Unjustified speculation at best, fiction at worst.

#106 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,104 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Agree on the water for sure Our city water was out for several days so i rigged a couple of hoses and fed our house from the sprinkler pump. Didn't realize how good our well was, softer water than the city's:)

My sprinkler system has a backflow preventor on it (I think it is code). It stops water that went into my sprinkler pipes from flowing back into the potable/drinking water system. So I'm wondering if he possibly could have back-fed the city water?

#107 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

What will happen to sports on OTA TV in Chicago then with a OTA cut down.

WGN get's the rights to dump as much CW shows as they want and stops useing WCIU?? Still may have gaps as there has been times games on both WCIU and WGN.

CSN Chicago picks up the load??? They may be hard pressed to have 3-4 HD feeds live at the same time Yes we can have all 4 teams playing at the same time or a mix of team needs and a college game or 2 on CSN. Also may hit CLTV as some cable system use the CLTV slots for CSN + may lead to a split of that.

WGN uses CLTV for sports needs forcing a split, Comcast to pick up CLTV HD and forcing all area systems to pick up CLTV HD to get the games?

The Spanish channels / PBS channels get killed off? (we have a lot of OTA channels)
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#108 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,690 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Well, the election sealed the fate of OTA TV.

Consider the line drawn for political comments. This is NOT a place for political discussion.

The future of OTA digital TV is something we can discuss as long as people keep the politics out of the discussion. It might be better to find one of the many previous discussions on the issue since this thread is about using DirecTV on a generator ... not the reassignment of OTA frequencies.

That begs the question of 'must carry'. DirecTV and Dish have put billions into putting up larger than needed satellites to support spot beams to send locals as part of 'must carry'.

That problem has been dealt with in the proposals. If two (or more) licensed stations decide to share an RF channel they remain separate stations under the 'must carry' rules. The primary feed of each station must be carried by satellite/cable if that is what the station elects. HD adds a wrinkle that needs to be solved. Currently if a station is not transmitting HD over the air they cannot demand HD carriage via satellite/cable.

This doesn't even make sense, as DirecTV has never used UHF or VHF. Direct Broadcast Satellite operates way above anything terrestrial television uses.

"DTV" in this case is ATSC Digital Television, not DirecTV.

#109 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yes sir, a couple of neighbors too:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#110 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

He did, and he killed three plumbers who were working on the main line when the water came back on. :lol:

The problem is that death does not stop their hourly clock! This is going to hurt!

#111 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

So, I called up a company called Gold Medal and asked how much a 17,000W NG generator would cost to install.

I could have bought the genny on Amazon for about 3 grand plus $600 for the transfer switch.

I was told by one of the managers that they don't install "other people's" generators, just their own brand. OK, how much? Total cost for purchase and installation of their 17,000W genny: $1,000 per watt! Or, a grand total of "only" $17,000.

Obviously Gold Medal got that gold medal for fleecing people out of money.

Rich

#112 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,427 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

So, I called up a company called Gold Medal and asked how much a 17,000W NG generator would cost to install.

I was told by one of the managers that they don't install "other people's" generators, just their own brand. OK, how much? Total cost for purchase and installation of their 17,000W genny: $1,000 per watt! Or, a grand total of "only" $17,000.
Rich

You are getting a price from a price gouger, due to the recent hurricane. I had the same thing up here. I got 4 prices and 2 were in line and the other two were like yours, way out of line. I ended up getting a 14KW and a 200 amp switch, completely installed for just over $6000.

Just have to wait a few weeks for them to get back in stock.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#113 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

40KW Kubota Turbodiesel with 200 gallon double wall tank , 200 amp switch plus installation in South Florida, including pad is $20k

Sad to see price gouging in a time of distress.
2- HR24-500 with AM21 OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21 OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Antennas Direct C4 ClearStream 4
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

#114 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I could have bought the genny on Amazon for about 3 grand plus $600 for the transfer switch.

Obviously Gold Medal got that gold medal for fleecing people out of money.

Rich

Well a BIG GEN / transfer switch is some what out side of the DIY area.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#115 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Depends on your background. I plan on installing my own generator of that size and the only thing I'm worried about is placing it on the pad.

#116 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I disagree. Took a while, but did it myself this past summer. When the Derecho hit, I was looking at being without power in 100 degree heat for a week or more. So on day 2 or 3 I went to HD and bought a 17Kw Generac with a ATS. Took about 6 hours to get it rigged enough to get me through that outage. After that was over, I took my time and read as much as I could and did it right. The ME that I called over to look at it said it was a very good job.

Depends on your background. I plan on installing my own generator of that size and the only thing I'm worried about is placing it on the pad.

Wife and I used Egyptian engineering. Got a piece of 2" PVC and cut it in 3 pieces. Got the generator on two and as I pushed, she replaced the pieces. Worked great.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#117 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Wife and I used Egyptian engineering. Got a piece of 2" PVC and cut it in 3 pieces. Got the generator on two and as I pushed, she replaced the pieces. Worked great.

Often the simple solutions are the best.

#118 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

LOL Funny thing i did this 20 years ago before the invented these easy do it your selfer's

I have a 4500 watt propane Gen at my house built in and works Great ! It handles my well water pump, Fridg, and TV. I have Gas Fire places and water heater and cook stove. So no need for anymore.

http://www.lowes.com...ollow&cId=PDIO1
A 10kw for a home is plenty to survive ! I have installed 3 for friends and family and it is very easy so long you have basic electric knowledge. They come with a pad, a switch and conversion kit between NG, LP for the carb.

http://www.lowes.com...ollow&cId=PDIO1

But 90% can live with this model for only $1900.00

Edited by Rickt1962, 25 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee !

#119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

You are getting a price from a price gouger, due to the recent hurricane. I had the same thing up here. I got 4 prices and 2 were in line and the other two were like yours, way out of line. I ended up getting a 14KW and a 200 amp switch, completely installed for just over $6000.

Just have to wait a few weeks for them to get back in stock.

Gold Medal is the highest price company of it's kind around here. That's their normal price. I have a friend who's a licensed electrician, I'll get him to install one. Gold Medal just feeds on people who don't know any better year round. Don't need a catastrophe to jack up their prices, they're always that high. Don't know if they operate in other states, but unless you gotta have something done immediately, I'd stay away from Gold Medal.

Rich

#120 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've actually put in much bigger gennys than that, but I don't feel like doing it. I'd feel better with a licensed electrician and plumber doing that work. DIY puts the liability on you, using licensed tradesmen puts the liability on them.

Rich

spam firewall