Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

40KW Kubota Turbodiesel with 200 gallon double wall tank , 200 amp switch plus installation in South Florida, including pad is $20k

Sad to see price gouging in a time of distress.

Gold Medal is an equal opportunity gouger and does it year round. No catastrophes needed.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Depends on your background. I plan on installing my own generator of that size and the only thing I'm worried about is placing it on the pad.

If I wasn't so lazy.... :lol:

Rich

#123 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Often the simple solutions are the best.

Trick is getting the pad level.

Rich

#124 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Rich

If necessary, use washers as shims, or better yet, for more precise leveling, use double-nuts to adjust to exactly level, then lock down gen.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#125 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,049 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'd feel better with a licensed electrician and plumber doing that work. DIY puts the liability on you, using licensed tradesmen puts the liability on them.

I have seen the jack-leg work the "Licensed Master Electrician" did on my house. I'll go with me.

Normally running gas pipe is not something that is DIY. But I grew up on gas wells and pipelines as it was the family business. I have been working on wellheads since I was 14 or so. So I know what I am doing and am very comfortable doing it. Wouldn't risk my family's safety if I wasn't.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#126 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,049 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Actually the Generac that I got recommends putting it on a 4-6" bed of gravel instead of a concrete pad.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#127 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

If necessary, use washers as shims, or better yet, for more precise leveling, use double-nuts to adjust to exactly level, then lock down gen.

I have not seen any mention of pads aside from posts on this thread. Wonder how much they cost? The gennys must come with levelers built in, getting the pad level and keeping it level might be a problem.

Rich

#128 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have seen the jack-leg work the "Licensed Master Electrician" did on my house. I'll go with me.

As I've said many times, finding a good electrician is difficult. The guy I know and I used to work on jobs together and, if I do install one, I'll work with him.

Normally running gas pipe is not something that is DIY. But I grew up on gas wells and pipelines as it was the family business. I have been working on wellheads since I was 14 or so. So I know what I am doing and am very comfortable doing it. Wouldn't risk my family's safety if I wasn't.

I was never allowed do work as you were, union stopped me from doing anything but electrical work. I wouldn't be comfy with the NG thing, but I'd pay happily to have that done by someone that knows what he's doing.

The permitting process and inspections should cover installation for insurance purposes.

Rich

#129 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Actually the Generac that I got recommends putting it on a 4-6" bed of gravel instead of a concrete pad.

Usually, that's not a bad idea. I was thinking of a pad sitting on a few inches of three quarter stone and a couple inches of sand, but if the maker recommends the gravel, that's even easier.

Rich

#130 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have not seen any mention of pads aside from posts on this thread. Wonder how much they cost? The gennys must come with levelers built in, getting the pad level and keeping it level might be a problem.

Rich

One of the sales person I had told me that some companies have pads that go with the generators. They are soft and sound absorbing. The pad sets on a bed of gravel.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#131 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've never heard of a "Licensed Master Electrician", unless that's something the guy threw into an ad for impact. I know NJ takes no notice of whether you're a Master, Senior or ordinary electrician as far as the licensing test goes. Master and Senior being synonymous.

Rich

#132 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

One of the sales person I had told me that some companies have pads that go with the generators. They are soft and sound absorbing. The pad sets on a bed of gravel.

Yup, in the chemical plant I worked in we put everything on concrete pads, so I'm not really sure what the requirements are state by state.

I'd guess with the kind of pad you're talking about, it would just settle into the pad. Thinking about it, I gotta wonder how much impact on the gennys leveling has to do with their installation. Does it have to be exact or ballpark?

Rich

#133 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I ended up getting a 14KW and a 200 amp switch, completely installed for just over $6000.

That sounds reasonable. I just received a quote of $9,000 to install this unit > http://www.homedepot...184&R=202493184 (gas line not included). :rolleyes:
Vin

#134 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

That sounds reasonable. I just received a quote of $9,000 to install this unit > http://www.homedepot...184&R=202493184 (gas line not included). :rolleyes:

$9,000 just to install it? Or is the price of the genny included in that? And they don't install the gas line?

Generators aren't that complicated. The transfer switch is more complicated than the genny itself. Even that's not that hard to install. The big transfer switches I've worked on were controlled by a relay that was in one position when the normal power was on and when it went off, the relay dropped out allowing the transfer switch to move to the genny position. These were on big diesel gennys.

Rich

#135 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

The last Generac I installed came with a Hard Plastic pad

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#136 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

$9,000 just to install it? Or is the price of the genny included in that? And they don't install the gas line?

Generators aren't that complicated. The transfer switch is more complicated than the genny itself. Even that's not that hard to install. The big transfer switches I've worked on were controlled by a relay that was in one position when the normal power was on and when it went off, the relay dropped out allowing the transfer switch to move to the genny position. These were on big diesel gennys.

Rich

No, that includes the generator but conisidering it's retail price, the labor charge seems high to me. And he (the electrical contractor) said it was up to me whether I wanted to use his plumber at a cost of around $1,500 or I could get my own plumber.
Vin

#137 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Identical unit I've been focused on, though I'd really like one of the $3000 hypothetical Bloom Energy home fuel cell units that they talked about a couple of years ago :)

Also thought about solar but fuel cell may really be the future, but may need 14RESA in the meantime.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#138 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

We have been getting quotes in the $9500 range for a 20kW Generac, all plumbing and electrical included. $9,000 for a 14kW plus another $1500 for the gas line seems pretty high.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#139 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

WOW I hate to see my fellow DBS'ers get taken. You need to step back and think how much KWH you need for your home. What is important ? What do you have to cover ? Refridg , TV , Heat, Etc. Then get the Gen you need to cover it. I wired the Generac to the panel in 2 hours. Just so long the sub panel can be with in 1 foot of your orginal panel from wer u locate the unit out side. The gas line being run with Trac pipe to the gen or iron pipe will need a plumber. Unless u hav the knowledge to run it with copper or Iron. Trac requires special tools and Lic. again it is how far they have to run it is the price. A normal install shouldnt be more then $ 1000.00 to $ 1500.00

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#140 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Unless you live in a mansion, it is rare that you would ever need more than about 10KW and that's if you run everything in your house all at the same time. Most could be very comfortable with a 5KW to 7KW generator. Plus, the bigger the genset, the more fuel it burns, and the more often it needs refueling. If on gas, you're okay as long as the gas line isn't damaged.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...