Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV with a Generator

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

That sounds reasonable. I just received a quote of $9,000 to install this unit > http://www.homedepot...184&R=202493184 (gas line not included). :rolleyes:

This was the unit I got from a local electrical/generator contractor. My price did not include gas work either. My gas guy told me it would run about $600.00 for everything for the gas.
http://www.homedepot...51#.ULVFQddX80U

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

The last Generac I installed came with a Hard Plastic pad

That was what I was mentioning earlier. The way the contractor explained it, they come with the unit.

#143 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Plus, the bigger the genset, the more fuel it burns, and the more often it needs refueling. If on gas, you're okay as long as the gas line isn't damaged.

That is not totally true. This came off a chart that was given to me by one of the people I talked to.
Posted Image

#144 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

That is not totally true. This came off a chart that was given to me by one of the people I talked to.
Posted Image

Yes that is correct ! its like a gas peddle of a Car the more u push it the more fuel u will use. As i stated earlier in the thread My home is 6000+ sqft I installed my own 20 years ago ! Its only 4500 watt LP. I have a 1000 gal under ground tank. Everything in my home is gas ! So I put in a 220 volt dryer jack in my shed I back feed my house with it. I turn off the main breakers, Yes breakers I have 2 two hundred breaker panels with a 220-50amp breaker crossing over both panels. So when the power goes off I flip off the two 200 amp mains then start the 4500 wat gen and go in and flip on my 50's. My 4500 handles my fridg, TV, well pump. Everything else i have runs off of gas. A 1000 gal tank will last 30 days. The longest i ever had to use it was a week.

The funny thing was I installed it 20 years ago ! I think i went almost 10 years before i used it when we lost power more then a day. I do remember it was Xmas in the middle of a Blizzard ! And 3 years ago when a Hurrican knocked our power out for a week. My only cost is the tractor battery i have to buy every 3+ years ! It does have a pull rope starter. As any thing u dont use much unless you break the union and let the gas bleed out you get alot of air build up to the unit and you will be pulling that rope along time ! LOL

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#145 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

We have been getting quotes in the $9500 range for a 20kW Generac, all plumbing and electrical included. $9,000 for a 14kW plus another $1500 for the gas line seems pretty high.

Yeah, I was prepared to go for as much as $7,000 for the complete job but the quote I received has me rethinking this project. Now that a few weeks have passed since the storm and my zeal has waned (time heals all wounds) :) I'm leaning towards just getting a portable generator, especially considering how infrequently we've lost power in the 25 years we've been in our house.

I have an electrician coming to look at the job tomorrow night to put in a transfer switch/sub panel and inlet box. I'm figuring I should be able to do the whole project for around $3,000 including the generator, give or take, depending on the unit I decide to go with.
Vin

#146 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Unless you live in a mansion, it is rare that you would ever need more than about 10KW and that's if you run everything in your house all at the same time. Most could be very comfortable with a 5KW to 7KW generator. Plus, the bigger the genset, the more fuel it burns, and the more often it needs refueling. If on gas, you're okay as long as the gas line isn't damaged.

I don't live in a mansion, but our house is 2500 sq ft, has a 3.5 ton central air conditioner, electric double oven, two refrigerators and a deep freezer, microwave, plus a bunch of TVs and all the normal stuff a house has. We have natural gas available (gas heat and hot water) and everyone we have gotten bids from have recommended a 17kw unit. The difference between a 14kw and a 20kw unit, once you factor in installation, is $1000 or less. If we are going to spend $8000 to $9000, I don't want to have think about turning something on.

We had a 4.5kw portable through Sandy...having to turn something off before we turned something else on got pretty tired awfully quickly. Then we couldn't get gasoline (none of the stations had power). Never again.

We have lived in this house for 19 years...in the first 15 years we lost power 3 or 4 times. In the last 3 years we have lost power over a half dozen times, and for more than a week 3 times in the past 2 years. In our view, having your own standby power is no longer a luxury. Electricity has gotten like indoor plumbing...it is a requirement for modern living.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#147 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I don't live in a mansion, but our house is 2500 sq ft, has a 3.5 ton central air conditioner, electric double oven, two refrigerators and a deep freezer, microwave, plus a bunch of TVs and all the normal stuff a house has. We have natural gas available (gas heat and hot water) and everyone we have gotten bids from have recommended a 17kw unit. The difference between a 14kw and a 20kw unit, once you factor in installation, is $1000 or less. If we are going to spend $8000 to $9000, I don't want to have think about turning something on.

We had a 4.5kw portable through Sandy...having to turn something off before we turned something else on got pretty tired awfully quickly. Then we couldn't get gasoline (none of the stations had power). Never again.

We have lived in this house for 19 years...in the first 15 years we lost power 3 or 4 times. In the last 3 years we have lost power over a half dozen times, and for more than a week 3 times in the past 2 years. In our view, having your own standby power is no longer a luxury. Electricity has gotten like indoor plumbing...it is a requirement for modern living.

Love this post.

It's almost my exact situation. Same experience, and same plans.

Kohler 14RESA will most likely be the solution once I can get anyone to accurately visit and quote.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#148 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I keep forgetting about air conditioning, something almost nobody has in my neck of the woods. Also something I tend not to consider essential, but know I would feel differently if I lived where it gets hot and humid at the same time.

#149 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

A friend of mine that lives in Florida somewhere had his house "hurricane proofed", with regards to electricity.... I only know this guy through some internet chat boxes and other sites, but apparently he had installed in his house a number of outlets with RED face plates, one near the fridge in the kitchen, one near the TV setup in the living room, one for a light in the living room, one for the water heater I believe, and probably one or two others. These outlets don't do ANYTHING unless a generator he had installed in the corner of his yard is fired up. He would then have to change his equipment from one outlet to the other by hand to make them work on the generator.

He decided to do this, because when he originally had his generator installed he had to run cords through a window into the home to power some things. It did cost him thousands of dollars to install the separate circuit in his home though, and he has YET to use it (besides testing it once or twice) in an actual disaster scenario....
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#150 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I keep forgetting about air conditioning, something almost nobody has in my neck of the woods. Also something I tend not to consider essential, but know I would feel differently if I lived where it gets hot and humid at the same time.

AC also costs a lot of power, to keep the house cooled you would need quite a decent generator.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#151 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

These outlets don't do ANYTHING unless a generator he had installed in the corner of his yard is fired up. He would then have to change his equipment from one outlet to the other by hand to make them work on the generator.

I've done that, but without the color change. I'd rather keep the systems 100% separate AND not have cords draped through the house.

I also have 15w bulbs on a generator only circuit that feeds light sockets in various places. No candles needed to get around the house.

#152 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Finally heard back from the owner of one of the recommended companies today. Good guy, but he was honest. He's buried. Totally swamped, with hundreds of requests and no time for a visit for quite some time. At least he was honest.

May be a good area for those looking for a new job opportunity. Seems like lots of latent demand if you have the right skills.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#153 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

AC also costs a lot of power, to keep the house cooled you would need quite a decent generator.

I've actually got a $100 windows A/C boxed up in my garage. It only draws 500watts and can keep one room nice and cool. I don't need the entire house comfortable to sleep at night.

#154 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

If I wasn't so lazy.... :lol:

Rich

Oh, I'm lazy too but I really hate paying somebody to do something that I can do.

#155 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

This was the unit I got from a local electrical/generator contractor. My price did not include gas work either. My gas guy told me it would run about $600.00 for everything for the gas.
http://www.homedepot...51#.ULVFQddX80U

What did the electrical hookup cost?

Rich

#156 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Had my AC go out this last summer and it was a miserable experience for a couple days. I have enough fans to cool the house, at least make it livable, but they need juice too.

Rich

#157 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Oh, I'm lazy too but I really hate paying somebody to do something that I can do.

Yeah, that does bother me at times. But true laziness usually prevails.... :lol:

Rich

#158 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

What did the electrical hookup cost?

Rich

My guess is around $2,500 > http://www.dbstalk.c...085#post3136085
Vin

#159 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Had my AC go out this last summer and it was a miserable experience for a couple days. I have enough fans to cool the house, at least make it livable, but they need juice too.

Rich

I bought 2 a few years ago when my Central unit was going to be replaced. They are 6,500 BTU and draw 670 watts each. I put one in the Den and one in the Bedroom and a couple of 20" box fans to help spread the cool around the rest of the house.
When hurricane Ike came thru here they were a lifesaver with my gentrator driving them. We had some cool, watched the TV, got on the computer and had cold drinks and stuff in the refrigerator.
I use natural gas for heating, cooking, drying clothes and the hot water heater.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#160 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I bought 2 a few years ago when my Central unit was going to be replaced. They are 6,500 BTU and draw 670 watts each. I put one in the Den and one in the Bedroom and a couple of 20" box fans to help spread the cool around the rest of the house.
When hurricane Ike came thru here they were a lifesaver with my gentrator driving them. We had some cool, watched the TV, got on the computer and had cold drinks and stuff in the refrigerator.
I use natural gas for heating, cooking, drying clothes and the hot water heater.

You might want to check on the starting capacitor's It may run at 670 but the jump in voltage will trip the breaker if it isnt set up correct with the Genny and Distance is everything ! How long the run is from the AC to the genny you will lose amps

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

spam firewall