Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nexus 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

At the Apple event last week they said that the iPad was now so advanced that they couldn't even see the competition in the rear view mirror. I think they need a better rear view mirror (is there an app for that?) because the Nexus 10 has a higher resolution, higher pixel density display and a processor (Exynos 5) and RAM (2GB) to match it. It is also thinner and lighter - WiFi only models are $100 cheaper than the iPad w/Retina display to boot.

http://www.theverge....ce-release-date

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

They were too busy looking in the rear view mirror to see Samsung and Google blasting past them in the left lane.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

The iPad is 4x3 ratio, right? I don't know why but for some reason I don't like the 16x9 that these tablets have.

#4 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

The iPad is 4x3 ratio, right? I don't know why but for some reason I don't like the 16x9 that these tablets have.

I guess it all depends on what you use it for. Obviously for movies or video 16:9 should (I say should because someone will always be contrary and say they prefer 4:3 for that as well :-)) be preferred. If you do a lot of reading or web browsing in portrait mode I could see 4:3 being preferred. I have a Xoom and use my wife's iPad occasionally and don't notice a huge difference in that respect though. Of course I've had a 16:9 format Android smartphone for years so I'm completely used to the form factor for daily use, my computer monitor and TVs are all 16:9 as well.

#5 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

They were too busy looking in the rear view mirror to see Samsung and Google blasting past them in the left lane.

!rolling

#6 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Beep Beep.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have the same issue with 16:9 for web browsing and apps. I much prefer 4:3. I do love the idea of 300 PPI resolution and front facing stereo speakers on the N10, tho. I'll probably try them all (Mini, iPad4 and N10), before deciding which way to go. Nice to have choices! :)
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

I am looking forward to the Nexus 10, I think I will pull the trigger on it. Now if D* could get an app on Android like they have on the iPad for the DVR's.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm also looking forward to the 32GB Nexus 10. I've got an original Moto 3g Xoom on ICS, and even though it's going to get JB in this quarter, it's feeling "old" and I'm getting an itch to replace it.

I'm ready!

#10 OFFLINE   AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I've got an iPad and a Nexus 7. I really like the Nexus 7 because it's like carrying around a paperback novel, except thinner and even fits in your pocket.

I mostly use the iPad for viewing PDF's, but the Nexus 7 for everything else. I can't imagine getting the Nexus 10 though, simply because I find smaller tablets more appealing.

Also, although I do like the 16:9 aspect ratio of the Nexus 7, I think for a larger tablet that might make it a bit unwieldy, couldn't say for certain without holding it in my hand though.

#11 OFFLINE   Steveb_77

Steveb_77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

The Nexus 7 is the best tablet out there IMO. I agree the Nexus 10 might have a leg up in specs, but quite frankly the 10" tablet is too big for me. The N7 is the perfect size, weight and is easier to carry around. I had the HP Touchpad before the N7 and have never been happier. Plus the recent update to 4.2 is sweet. Oh, and don't get me started on the iPad. What a piece of crap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...