Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some advice when calling CSR's

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dapipes2

Dapipes2

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't post here much, but I thought I'd give some words of advice when calling DTV if you're negotiating a new contract. Here's what happened to me this weekend:

I was on the phone with DTV for almost an hour trying to upgrade my hardware and services. I ended up getting new hardware (HR-34 and mini-client, which I paid money for), and was promised a bunch of free programming for a new 2-yr contract.

Before I called, I though it might be wise to record our conversation. So I fired up the Macbook and created a low-tech recording, using the speakerphone from my landline so the Macbook mic could pick up the conversation.

One of the services I was promised was the NBA League Pass. I had to call back DTV today, as I was having some issues with my mini-client and the whole-home feature. I logged onto my online account, and noticed that I didn't see anything about the NBA programming. When I mentioned this to my CSR, he said there was nothing in the notes about it, even though I was promised this. He said he couldn't turn that on for me.

I was elevated to a higher rep and told her the same story. She also said there was nothing in the notes of my conversation that indicated I was to get the NBA service.

To make a long story short, I had to actually play her the audio recording over the phone that I had made of my 1st call and find the part where the service was promised before she would make good on that promise, which she eventually did.

So, my words of wisdom to all of you is to record your conversations with them when you negotiate for new hardware/services. Because if they don't enter what they say in their computer system, or at least note it in your file, you could easily get screwed.

I hope this helps some of you in the future!

Good Luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joe221

joe221

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Very good advice. Why do "they" always lie.
Joe in West Los Angeles

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

At less than one post a year, you are a master of understatement!

I do hope you announced that the conversation was being recorded for training purposes and their protection!

There are some statutes re recording phone conversations, but I have only a faint idea as to what they are.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Very good advice. Why do "they" always lie.

Say it ain't so, Joe. 'Cause "they", unless "they" refers to politicians, don't always lie.

#5 OFFLINE   Dapipes2

Dapipes2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'm not accusing them of 'lying'. The CSR could have just not entered it in the system, or maybe he didn't know how. I'll never really know!

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

At less than one post a year, you are a master of understatement!

I do hope you announced that the conversation was being recorded for training purposes and their protection!

There are some statutes re recording phone conversations, but I have only a faint idea as to what they are.

http://en.wikipedia....s#United_States

Twelve states currently require that all parties consent to the recording. These states are:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois (debated, see next section)
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana (requires notification only)
Nevada
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,745 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, but in reality you got prerecorded announcement of "the conversation will be recorded ..." and no options for you, customer !

#8 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, but in reality you got prerecorded announcement of "the conversation will be recorded ..." and no options for you, customer !

Option to hang up........:hurah:
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#9 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

generally a customer calling in has no reason to object to being recorded - the recordings really are just used for training and agent appraisal. The only exceptions I can think of are for threats and if there is a pattern of csr abuse and the company decides to invoke section 5c of the customer service agreement.
Btw, there are call centers in a number of those states mentioned... :D

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Interesting.

Two questions come up: Does a Texan have to abide by CA's rules on this? Hail no! Although some lawyers may disagree.

But in CA, if you're informed it's being recorded by the company you're calling, perhaps you get a "permission slip" to make your own.....

#11 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Interesting.

Two questions come up: Does a Texan have to abide by CA's rules on this? Hail no! Although some lawyers may disagree.

But in CA, if you're informed it's being recorded by the company you're calling, perhaps you get a "permission slip" to make your own.....

If you are calling from one state to another then you go with federal rules which are one party. YMMV IANAL

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

So as long as you know you're recording, it's kosher? Just doesn't seem right. Not saying that's not the way the law works.

#13 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

I don't know if it really matters if you are recording someone and they don't know about it, unless you plan to use it in court or for some other purpose other than to prove a point with the company you are doing business with.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

The OP should have gotten the names and ID numbers of those he talked with.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

I don't know if it really matters if you are recording someone and they don't know about it, unless you plan to use it in court or for some other purpose other than to prove a point with the company you are doing business with.

I know I wouldn't like if I found out I was recorded without my knowledge. The usual argument it shouldn't matter if you aren't doing anything wrong (like someone video recording you without your knowledge) doesn't fly with me.

#16 OFFLINE   Arubaflower

Arubaflower

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Sounds like you're an arrogant sort who thinks nothing of the rights of others. It's people like you that deserve to be deactivated.

Wow, that's a definition of arrogance with which I am not familiar. So it's arrogant for someone to protect himself against a company known for its occasional less-than-stellar treatment of its customers?

So it's arrogant for someone to be dissatisfied when a company does not keep its promise in exchange for a renewed 2 yr service contract?

And then it's arrogant for him to do what he could to hold the company to their end of the agreed upon bargain? Because we know the company doesn't hesitate to hold the customer to their end of the bargain. Just try to cancel your contract before term and see how arrogant the company gets with their fees.

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Dapipes2, thank you so much for posting what not to do...I don't negotiate for new hardware/services as soon as I'm out of contract..and then complain when I don't get the royal treatment. If I did that, I would think I was a complete tool.

#18 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Sounds like you're an arrogant sort who thinks nothing of the rights of others. It's people like you that deserve to be deactivated.

I am a DirecTV CSR/Supervisor and I wish that more customers would record the calls like Dapipes2. The only people that would have a problem with it are the people that most need to be recorded.

#19 OFFLINE   Arubaflower

Arubaflower

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am a DirecTV CSR/Supervisor and I wish that more customers would record the calls like Dapipes2. The only people that would have a problem with it are the people that most need to be recorded.

Ahh, a voice of sanity from someone at DirecTV. Very refreshing.

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I would just tell the Directv CSR that I am going to be Recording the Conversation so if there are any problems I can Replay the Conversation to keep everyone straight about what transpired and if the CSR has a problem with that then I would hang up and call back to get another CSR via the CSR Roulette Game.

If they object I would ask what the problem is because you are Recording our Conversation so why can't I have that same privilege to protect my Interests?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall