Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD LOCALS Charleston, SC

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

You can take Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Tidewater and Hampton Roads as we are know as across the country off this list. No interruptions here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

It makes me appreciate my old HR20-700s with their OTA tuners. Didn't loose a thing with them.

I still have OTA with an indoor antenna. Most of the channels I get cleanly are breaking up badly with the weather. Rain, wind, and dancing trees. OTA gets messed up by this stuff, too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Is it weather related?

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Atlanta HD locals are all functioning at this hour (2:40am ET)..but once every few minutes...the signal momentarily freezes for a second and then continues. Doesn't happen on all the channels though. I suspect the solution is still being "worked on".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   boteman

boteman

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

You're not missing much with this outage. Mostly TV "weathermen" and stringers getting blown down by winds and washed aside by waves while imploring you to avoid the dangers in which they put themselves. Great examples for us to follow.
http://www.trackstreamer.com/
Streaming public safety scanner audio online from South Florida

#26 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

I am not sure why, but I did the change to duplicates for all channels. All the other channels duplicated but not the locals. We used to have a two dish setup but they disconnected it last year. FYI-All my tv's are HD so I do not know if maybe the installer knew that and just installed a single dish. I'm not mad at anyone just troubleshooting with a lot of people here that have far more knowledge. I would never try to get through to Customer service for that with all the problems they are dealing with.

You are in an MPEG4 Market there are no SD locals. Everyone with that second dish who hasn't upgraded to MPEG4(HD) is without any locals or will be soon.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#27 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

You are in an MPEG4 Market there are no SD locals. Everyone with that second dish who hasn't upgraded to MPEG4(HD) is without any locals or will be soon.

Thank you for that information.

#28 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Make sure that you have your local SD checked in the Channel line-up because even if you have show SD Channels, if they are not checked they won't show-up in your list.
Everyone has SD Local.

#29 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

There are no markets that use the 72.5° satellite for locals any more-DirecTV has given up the lease for the location and relocated the satellite that had been stationed there.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Everyone has SD Local.

Yes and no...

I have HD versions of NBC, PBS, FOX, and CBS. ABC, The CW, and a local Independent station is SD only.

Folks in MPEG4 territories either have an HD version or an SD version, but not both.

#31 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Make sure that you have your local SD checked in the Channel line-up because even if you have show SD Channels, if they are not checked they won't show-up in your list.
Everyone has SD Local.

Well I do not have SD locals on my HD boxes is all I can say. Yes I do have show all channels and not hide anything from the menu/display page setup. But I am changing it back because it is annoying to see all the duplicates.

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Well I do not have SD locals on my HD boxes is all I can say. Yes I do have show all channels and not hide anything from the menu/display page setup. But I am changing it back because it is annoying to see all the duplicates.

You would be correct.

To my knowledge, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, and MyNetworkTV are HD only via DirecTV, and The CW is SD only via DirecTV.

#33 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

You would be correct.

To my knowledge, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, and MyNetworkTV are HD only via DirecTV, and The CW is SD only via DirecTV.

I did not know that!!! And every time I say or hear that I think of the Tonight show with Johnny Carson. But I really did not know that. Thanks Alan for the information.

#34 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

You would be correct.

So a customer with just a SD television and a SD receiver.... CAN NOT receive any locals via DirecTV in these situations?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#35 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

So a customer with just a SD television and a SD receiver.... CAN NOT receive any locals via DirecTV in these situations?

If you live in an MPEG-4 market you shouldn't have an SD receiver. DirecTV has notified people in those markets multiple times that they need to get them swapped out. DirecTV replaces them with HD equivalents for free without a commitment (SD receivers replaced with HD Receivers, SD-DVRs replaced with HD-DVRs). They do not require people in MPEG4 markets to subscribe to HD Access, but obviously they can if they want to. I believe if the customer doesn't subscribe to HD access DirecTV locks the receiver's video ouputs to 480p max.

If you didn't listen to DirecTV and keep the SD equipment, then yes, you no longer get your local channels at all.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#36 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

I did not know that!!! And every time I say or hear that I think of the Tonight show with Johnny Carson. But I really did not know that. Thanks Alan for the information.

Glad I could be of help! :)

Beerstalker gave an EXCELLENT explanation...

Even the SD channels in these markets are MPEG4... requiring an MPEG4 capable (HD) receiver.

There are also a few markets where most of the locals are available via an SD receiver, but one or two channels might be MPEG4 only.

I live in an MPEG4 market where my NBC, PBS, FOX, and CBS are HD-only, and my ABC, The CW, and Independent stations are MPEG4 SD-only. ABC has been available to carry in HD since launch last Spring, and The CW will be sometime next year... and when DirecTV decides to, the SD feeds provided by DirecTV will simply be replaced by the HD feeds.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...