Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newby Question

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Interesting. . . I just read the FAQ for the system and it says it can be activated "on-demand" for a $7/month outlet fee. The Dish CSR I was last talking to had mentioned just calling up & activating the cabin receiver for $7/month. I wonder if this is what he had in mind? If I can get the "on-demand" service to use with the existing dish that is up there (i.e. not having to buy the portable antenna), that's exactly what I'm trying to do!

All you need to do is buy the 211 so you own it. The monthly fee on a 211 is $7/mo. An owned receiver can be activated and deactivated at will.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

Interesting. . . I just read the FAQ for the system and it says it can be activated "on-demand" for a $7/month outlet fee. The Dish CSR I was last talking to had mentioned just calling up & activating the cabin receiver for $7/month. I wonder if this is what he had in mind? If I can get the "on-demand" service to use with the existing dish that is up there (i.e. not having to buy the portable antenna), that's exactly what I'm trying to do!

You can de-activate an owned receiver when it isn't being used and save that money... but still to be in compliance with the terms of service you couldn't have the 211 activated and at a different location from your other receivers unless you call up and have them change your service address and then don't leave anyone at home to watch the receivers you don't take with you.

I don't want to be a nanny... but as long as the thread is about maintaining compliance with the terms-of-service, everything is cool... but if it starts down a path of things that would violate terms of service then we would have to close the thread.

Just wanted to be sure you were getting the right information related to being able to deactivate an owned receiver relative to what your ultimate goal is per your earlier posts.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   Ken C.

Ken C.

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

You can de-activate an owned receiver when it isn't being used and save that money... but still to be in compliance with the terms of service you couldn't have the 211 activated and at a different location from your other receivers unless you call up and have them change your service address and then don't leave anyone at home to watch the receivers you don't take with you.

I don't want to be a nanny... but as long as the thread is about maintaining compliance with the terms-of-service, everything is cool... but if it starts down a path of things that would violate terms of service then we would have to close the thread.

Just wanted to be sure you were getting the right information related to being able to deactivate an owned receiver relative to what your ultimate goal is per your earlier posts.

Thank you Stewart (and again to everyone else), I'm am not looking for a way to circumvent any rules or TOS, my intent was to find out IF what I wanted to do can be done since I initially received totally conflicting information from two different Dish reps so I thought I would try to get the real scoop from the folks here who have real-life experiences and aren't just trying to sign me up!

That being said, given what I read about their "Tailgater" system, how is what I want to do any different than the Tailgater? Granted I did not read the full TOS for that system but if I had one of those, would I need to change my service address to the 49'ers parking lot for the day if I wanted to use it for its intended purpose? Not trying to be fecetious, I just don't understand the difference between taking a tailgater up there or just taking the 211 and using the dish that's already on-site, paying the outlet fee and watching a movie or a show?

My ultimate goal was to simply find out if there was a way to get satellite service at my cabin without having to have a separate account. If it violates the TOS then I won't do it, simple as that. However, now that I know what Dish's term is for what I wanted to do I will try to check out the "On Demand" service that is available for the Tailgater.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Tailgater?

#24 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

A Snow Bird account may be your best option. This type account allows you to have service at 2 locations and only requires you to call in to change the address between homes when you will be at the alternate location. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you Stewart (and again to everyone else), I'm am not looking for a way to circumvent any rules or TOS, my intent was to find out IF what I wanted to do can be done since I initially received totally conflicting information from two different Dish reps so I thought I would try to get the real scoop from the folks here who have real-life experiences and aren't just trying to sign me up!

That being said, given what I read about their "Tailgater" system, how is what I want to do any different than the Tailgater? Granted I did not read the full TOS for that system but if I had one of those, would I need to change my service address to the 49'ers parking lot for the day if I wanted to use it for its intended purpose? Not trying to be fecetious, I just don't understand the difference between taking a tailgater up there or just taking the 211 and using the dish that's already on-site, paying the outlet fee and watching a movie or a show?

My ultimate goal was to simply find out if there was a way to get satellite service at my cabin without having to have a separate account. If it violates the TOS then I won't do it, simple as that. However, now that I know what Dish's term is for what I wanted to do I will try to check out the "On Demand" service that is available for the Tailgater.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Tailgater?

#25 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

I would simply start an account at home with a 211k receiver at each tv desired there and just take a receiver to the cabin when needed. Each 211k after the first is $7/month, with a one-time $40 fee on the account to activate DVR functions.

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would simply start an account at home with a 211k receiver at each tv desired there and just take a receiver to the cabin when needed. Each 211k after the first is $7/month, with a one-time $40 fee on the account to activate DVR functions.

Keeping in mind of course that you still would need to change your service address when you go to the cabin.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#27 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Keeping in mind of course that you still would need to change your service address when you go to the cabin.

But of course! ;)

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

#28 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Is All American Direct (mydistantnetworks.com) an option? Since AAD provides the locals from SanFran, can anyone in the Sanfran area activate that service to get just the SanFran channels? That would certainly solve the problem of SpotBeams since the AAD channels are national (albeit standard def).

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I believe you are only eligible for them if you cant get your locals via another method...

#30 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

How much is the Snowbird account and how would that differ from just changing your service address every time you go to the cabin?

Also, with a regular account, how many times can you switch your service address?
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#31 OFFLINE   Singe0255

Singe0255

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

That's a good question. I've been looking at the rules for this type of thing with D* but they only allow one suspend a year for up to 6 months at a time.

Going to put a cramp on my snowbird plans. If E* can be more flexible, maybe they'll get my vote.

#32 OFFLINE   Ken C.

Ken C.

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

That's a good question. I've been looking at the rules for this type of thing with D* but they only allow one suspend a year for up to 6 months at a time.

I'm not really getting clear information on that question either... I'm sure there is a limit, but can't get a specific number!

#33 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Well I still think AAD would be an option, even if you have to file waivers. I can't see the San Francisco stations NOT granting a waiver for their OWN signals. It can't hurt to call them up.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

spam firewall