Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Basic questions from a moron

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

This might be a good place to look:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207005

While there's no officially supported way to share programming between 17 tuners it certainly can be done (in the method in the thread above, or by bridging the two SWM networks through ethernet.) While the tech is not likely to perform either method, they should install two SWM16's allowing all functionality except whole home between all receivers. The latter can be accomplished with a little bit of work on your part :) Should you wish to change a DVR to a receiver it would certainly simplify things a bit though ;)

I read through that thread. How would I bridge the 2 SWM networks through Ethernet? Is it just a matter of connecting 2 receivers from different switches to the same Ethernet switch?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,858 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I read through that thread. How would I bridge the 2 SWM networks through Ethernet? Is it just a matter of connecting 2 receivers from different switches to the same Ethernet switch?

To cross connect two DECA/SWiM networks, a CCK on each that connects to either a switch and then your router, or directly to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

To cross connect two DECA/SWiM networks, a CCK on each that connects to either a switch and then your router, or directly to your router.

What is a CCK? And do I connect it to each receiver, just 1 receiver from each group, or to something else altogether?

#24 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,858 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

What is a CCK? And do I connect it to each receiver, just 1 receiver from each group, or to something else altogether?

First I think the type of networking needs to be defined.

DirecTV's connected home networking is done through the coax. New receivers have a DECA component internal and older receivers need an external added.

With the coax networking, one [separate] DECA is used to connect to the internet for all the receivers on the same network. This now is called a Cinema Connection Kit, or CCK for short.

Should you have more than one SWiM, these each need a DECA for internet access and when connected to your router, they share recordings through the router to all the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

First I think the type of networking needs to be defined.

DirecTV's connected home networking is done through the coax. New receivers have a DECA component internal and older receivers need an external added.

With the coax networking, one [separate] DECA is used to connect to the internet for all the receivers on the same network. This now is called a Cinema Connection Kit, or CCK for short.

Should you have more than one SWiM, these each need a DECA for internet access and when connected to your router, they share recordings through the router to all the receivers.

Oh okay. So then as long as I have a CCK on each "network of receivers" that connects to the same router, they will all be able to talk to each other then?

I'm assuming I will get HR24s, and the HR34, plus the old HD DVR I will be keeping (I think it's an HR21).

So just make sure I have a DECA, and it is connected to my home network router, on each "receiver network" and I should be good?

#26 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,858 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Oh okay. So then as long as I have a CCK on each "network of receivers" that connects to the same router, they will all be able to talk to each other then?

I'm assuming I will get HR24s, and the HR34, plus the old HD DVR I will be keeping (I think it's an HR21).

So just make sure I have a DECA, and it is connected to my home network router, on each "receiver network" and I should be good?

Seems like you're coming up to speed.

The HR21 will need a DECA and each "coax group" will need a CCK to connect to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Seems like you're coming up to speed.

The HR21 will need a DECA and each "coax group" will need a CCK to connect to your router.

Okay well this should be easy enough to do then.

So the tech is already supposed to be installing a CCK (and presumably the DECA). So I just need to find another CCK somewhere and then then I can easily connect it to my router.

I'll have to watch the tech carefully so I can see what this CCK actually is so I know what to look for.

I'll try to talk him into leaving me an extra one but I doubt I'll have success with that.

Thanks for the help!

#28 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'll try to talk him into leaving me an extra one but I doubt I'll have success with that.

Thanks for the help!

A little money goes a long way.

#29 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

A little money goes a long way.

Haha, yeah, I'll definitely try to make it worth considering.

#30 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well so much for that. The tech refused to do the install. Left me high and dry.

WTF am I going to do with no tv?!

Lazy ass tech.

#31 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Why did he refuse?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#32 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Why did he refuse?

I don't know, maybe he had a hot date or something and didn't want to spend the time.
The moment he got there he said "you have 17 tuners, this isn't going to work. Are you sure you want to go through with it?

I was like yeah, let's make it as good as we can.

He was like okay, we'll just put the HMC on its own group so none of the other receivers can talk to it.

I was like, can we just put my old receiver on its own group and put the HMC on the same group with all the new receivers?

He was like, okay, I guess that will work.

A few minutes later he comes back and he's like, we really can't do this until your internet is up and running. (I was still in the process of moving in, movers were there moving stuff)

I was like, they hooked it up this morning, it's up and running.

He then said okay but we need all of your tvs up and running before we can do anything.

I said (holding a small 20 inch LED) I can just plug this one into the receiver, then move it to the next one.

He was like, no, that won't work, we need all of them on at the same time.

I made everyone drop what they were doing, search the movers truck, find the tvs, plug them in at the desired locations, and turn them on.

Then he was like, I don't have any way to run a cable to the inside of this house. The outside walls are all foundation.

I was like, no way. The people who lived here before me had Dish Network. Let's go see where they ran the lines.

So we walked outside, saw the line, followed it, and planned a course from room to room.

Then he's like, there's nowhere to put the dish.

I'm like, just put it right there where that Dish Network dish is.

He's like, I can't do that. It's too close to the edge of your deck.

I'm like, so what are you saying?

He says, I can't complete the order. Do you want to call and tell customer service or should I?

I was like, I'll call them. I'll tell them I'm just going to have Dish come out here and activate service on this existing dish.

I called customer service, abs they had a supervisor call me back. He said he had already seen my location and he thinks it can go right where I asked in the first place. They're coming back Monday to complete the order.

But in the mean time, I have no tv.

#33 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

I think the guy was just in over his head and looking for any excuse to get out of your install. 17 tuners isn't anywhere near common, and there are techs who have problems with "basic" setups.

In any case, it looks like you understand what to do to get everything communicating for Whole Home now; you just need a decent tech to get you setup.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#34 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Well I'm up and running.

2 guys came yesterday. After they got here and looked around, they called in 2 more guys.

I actually had to go to work before they finished (about 3 hours after they started) so I had my mother in law come up and stay with them.

I guess it ended up taking them about another 3 hours after that.

They did a pretty good job though. Everything works, the dish is right where I wanted it, and the 1 receiver not in the whole home loop is the one I wanted.

Now I just have to get that one in the whole home loop (since it's the one with all my recordings on it). It doesn't have on demand right now either.

It's an HR21. The rest of my setup is 5 HR24s and 1 HR34.

So if I get that HR21 connected to the internet through my same router that connects the HR34 (which is apparently the only receiver in the whole home group connected to my router, but they all have on demand) will it then be in the whole home group or what else would I need?

Going to call Directv today to return all if my old receivers that I'm not using anymore. At the same time I'll probably order the Cinema Connect Kit for that one isolated receiver. Just not sure if that is all I need or if there is more to it.

#35 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,016 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

All you need to do is run an ethernet cable from the one HR21 to your LAN and the HR21 will be able to share MRV with all the other units. No need for a CCK.

#36 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

All you need to do is run an ethernet cable from the one HR21 to your LAN and the HR21 will be able to share MRV with all the other units. No need for a CCK.

Oh okay, awesome!

Thank you all for the help!

#37 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

So I decided against running Ethernet. It's in a different room from my router. It could be done, I guess, but wireless is just so much easier.

So I called Directv and ordered a wireless Cinema Connection Kit. Online it shows that it shipped with a free DECA.

Should I connect the DECA too (I'm thinking I should) or just disregard the DECA and only connect the CCK?

#38 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,858 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

So I decided against running Ethernet. It's in a different room from my router. It could be done, I guess, but wireless is just so much easier.

So I called Directv and ordered a wireless Cinema Connection Kit. Online it shows that it shipped with a free DECA.

Should I connect the DECA too (I'm thinking I should) or just disregard the DECA and only connect the CCK?

I'd guess the DECA is for the HR21.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'd guess the DECA is for the HR21.

Yeah the HR21 is the only receiver not in the whole home group (too many tuners).

#40 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Wireless doesn't always works so well for Whole Home. Did they install two SWM16's for your install? If so (and if the SWM16's are located near each other) a CCK/DECA on each SWM16 and an ethernet cable in between will make this work. This is assuming you have placed the DECA at the HR21.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...