Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Basic questions from a moron

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Wireless doesn't always works so well for Whole Home. Did they install two SWM16's for your install? If so (and if the SWM16's are located near each other) a CCK/DECA on each SWM16 and an ethernet cable in between will make this work. This is assuming you have placed the DECA at the HR21.

Yes, I have 2 SWM16s. I say that not because I'm an expert, but because I heard the techs talking about it.

What do they look like? I'll try to find them and see about connecting them with Ethernet and DECAs.

I have never seen a SWM16 or a DECA. I'm sure I can figure it out though.

So right now I have 5 HR24s and the HR34 on the whole home group (and presumably all connected to the save SWM16) and then the HR21 all by itself (presumably connected to the other SWM 16).

Would I just connect a DECA to an available coax connection on the SWM16, run Ethernet from that, and connect it to another DECA on an available coax in the other SWM16?

This sounds easy enough to do if that's all there is to it. I bet the SWM16s are right next to each other, wherever they are.

There are 2 things connected to coax in the closet next to my router that the tech said not to ever disconnect (and I think they're connected to power). Would those be the SWM16s?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

This is a SWM16:

Posted Image

Would I just connect a DECA to an available coax connection on the SWM16, run Ethernet from that, and connect it to another DECA on an available coax in the other SWM16?

Yes, exactly like that.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#43 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is a SWM16:

Yes, exactly like that.

Awesome. Thanks!

So I need to find another DECA then. They are only sending me 1. Should I just call them and ask for another 1? Or will they freak out because I'm trying to do something that I'm not supposed to be doing?

#44 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Awesome. Thanks!

So I need to find another DECA then. They are only sending me 1. Should I just call them and ask for another 1? Or will they freak out because I'm trying to do something that I'm not supposed to be doing?

You'll need a DECA on the HR21 and a CCK for each SWM16. The reason I use that particular terminology is that a DECA is generally powered by a receiver (although you can get buy a power supply for it.) A CCK will come with the power supply. If you call and ask for a DECA then you will still need to make another purchase.

Personally, I wouldnt tell them what you're doing as you'll likely just confuse the CSR (and it's not officially supported.)

#45 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

You'll need a DECA on the HR21 and a CCK for each SWM16. The reason I use that particular terminology is that a DECA is generally powered by a receiver (although you can get buy a power supply for it.) A CCK will come with the power supply. If you call and ask for a DECA then you will still need to make another purchase.

Personally, I wouldnt tell them what you're doing as you'll likely just confuse the CSR (and it's not officially supported.)

Okay so should I cancel the order fur thus wireless CCK then and instead order 2 wired CCKs (thinking they probably include a DECA, or I could just keep the DECA they sent with the wireless CCK)?

#46 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Okay so should I cancel the order fur thus wireless CCK then and instead order 2 wired CCKs (thinking they probably include a DECA, or I could just keep the DECA they sent with the wireless CCK)?

The wireless CCK is multipurpose and can be used in a "hard-wired mode"; I would keep it. I've lost track of what you have currently, but it sounds like you have a DECA (for the HR21) and a wireless CCK on the way. This leaves you one more CCK to procure.

#47 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

So I looked at what they installed, and apparently it's not 2 SWM16s. It's 1 SWM16 and something else. I'm attaching a picture.

Does this change how I should bridge them together?

Attached Thumbnails

• ForumRunner_20121108_115014.png

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

So I looked at what they installed, and apparently it's not 2 SWM16s. It's 1 SWM16 and something else. I'm attaching a picture.

YEP
Everything on that WB68 can't be part of your coax network.
That's not even a supported method.
The WB68 [old legacy switch] shouldn't have been connected off of the -16.

They "should have" used 2-way splitters to feed both, or better yet used 2-way to feed two SWiM-16s.

Posted Image

Either two -16s [as shown] or that WB68
A.K.A VOS

#49 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

YEP

They "should have" used 2-way splitters to feed both, or better yet used 2-way to feed two SWiM-16s.

Well that sucks. So what should I do?

If I call Directv and tell them to send another tech, what should I say?

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well that sucks. So what should I do?

If I call Directv and tell them to send another tech, what should I say?

Going back to your first post:

I got the whole home DVR service, 6 HD DVRs, a Home Media Server, and something called Cinema Connect.

You don't have "whole home DVR service" working everywhere.

Maybe I should first ask what are ALL of your receivers????
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

If I may ask, BlackDynamite, what is your plan for the HR21? Will you keep it or are you just going to watch what's on it and send it back?

#52 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

What a shame... As VOS mentioned this isn't an approved install any longer. The first step would be to get them back out and replace that WB68 with a SWM8 or SWM16.

#53 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Yes, I have 2 SWM16s. I say that not because I'm an expert, but because I heard the techs talking about it.

And this begs the question; where is that second SWM16? Your workorder would have been built with 2 SWM16's for the install, and it appears the techs were aware of the correct way to complete the setup. I get the feeling Ebay has a recent listing for a SWM16 :nono2:

#54 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Going back to your first post:

You don't have "whole home DVR service" working everywhere.

Maybe I should first ask what are ALL of your receivers????

I have the HR34, 5 HR24s, and an HR21. I brought the HR21 with me from my old house, all the rest are new (I just moved and this is the initial setup at the new residence).

#55 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

If I may ask, BlackDynamite, what is your plan for the HR21? Will you keep it or are you just going to watch what's on it and send it back?

Keeping it. I was going to swap it out for an HR24, but decided to just keep it.

#56 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

And this begs the question; where is that second SWM16? Your workorder would have been built with 2 SWM16's for the install, and it appears the techs were aware of the correct way to complete the setup. I get the feeling Ebay has a recent listing for a SWM16 :nono2:

They actually left a number in case of any problems. I called, and they are going to come back this weekend. Said they'd call me tomorrow morning to schedule it, possibly even for tomorrow.

I flat out told him I wanted another SWM16 so I could have more flexibility with the whole home network, since the one out there doesn't support whole home DVR service.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

With those receivers, you should have ALL OF THEM on a SWiM [which means two of them].
A.K.A VOS

#58 ONLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

With those receivers, you should have ALL OF THEM on a SWiM [which means two of them].

What is the disadvantage to not having all of them in a SWM? I'm just trying to figure out how to tell this guy the reason I want another SWM. I told him it was so I could have some flexibility with the whole home DVR. When he/they get there, they'll probably grill me on exactly what I'm trying to do.

Is it a show stopper if I tell them I want to bridge them together so the whole home works on all of them? I know it's not supported, but do they actually try to prevent it or do they just not help in any way but don't care if I do it myself?

#59 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

YEP

Posted Image

Either two -16s [as shown] or that WB68

I thought the new Slim5 has only one coaxal out ?

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

What is the disadvantage to not having all of them in a SWM? I'm just trying to figure out how to tell this guy the reason I want another SWM. I told him it was so I could have some flexibility with the whole home DVR. When he/they get there, they'll probably grill me on exactly what I'm trying to do.

Is it a show stopper if I tell them I want to bridge them together so the whole home works on all of them? I know it's not supported, but do they actually try to prevent it or do they just not help in any way but don't care if I do it myself?

Anything currently connected to the WB68 can't share its recordings, nor can play any from those on the SWiM.
You have an "incomplete Whole Home" DVR service.
Bridging two SWiMs with [two] CCKs is supported, though it's rare to have this setup, so they may not be familiar.

I've already posted the DirecTV approved method, but it lacks the two CCKs in the diagram.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall