Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Basic questions from a moron

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I thought the new Slim5 has only one coaxal out ?

That is with the SWiM LNB.
When you use an external SWiM, you still use the standard LNB.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Anything currently connected to the WB68 can't share its recordings, nor can play any from those on the SWiM.
You have an "incomplete Whole Home" DVR service.
Bridging two SWiMs with [two] CCKs is supported, though it's rare to have this setup, so they may not be familiar.

I've already posted the DirecTV approved method, but it lacks the two CCKs in the diagram.

Wait, so these guys were supposed to bridge them together and make it all work? Because they said from the start that I had too many tuners and 1 of them wouldn't work. If they're actually supposed to make this work then I'll just flat out tell them what I want.

I was thinking I had to keep this quiet because it wasn't allowed.

Is there some official documentation I can point them to so they know it's supported? I'm sure I can show them that diagram but they'll probably just say Directv doesn't allow that or something.

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Wait, so these guys were supposed to bridge them together and make it all work? Because they said from the start that I had too many tuners and 1 of them wouldn't work. If they're actually supposed to make this work then I'll just flat out tell them what I want.

I was thinking I had to keep this quiet because it wasn't allowed.

Is there some official documentation I can point them to so they know it's supported? I'm sure I can show them that diagram but they'll probably just say Directv doesn't allow that or something.

I'm not sure where DirecTV would have this, "BUT" I worked with the creator of that diagram, and I KNOW where it says DirecTV Approved, that it was checked with DirecTV to say so.

I also know of other customers that have had this done.

Again, this isn't a common setup so "they" may just not be up to speed.

You're a customer, and DirecTV will support what you're "legally" doing, and having more than 16 tuners is legal.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm not sure where DirecTV would have this, "BUT" I worked with the creator of that diagram, and I KNOW where it says DirecTV Approved, that it was checked with DirecTV to say so.

I also know of other customers that have had this done.

Again, this isn't a common setup so "they" may just not be up to speed.

You're a customer, and DirecTV will support what you're "legally" doing, and having more than 16 tuners is legal.

Well this is great news, and it changes everything. I have been thinking I had to "trick" them into getting me close, and then I'd finish the rest after they left. I thought it wasn't allowed so I couldn't let them find out what my real plans were.

Now that I know this is Directv approved, I'll just print it out and give it to the tech.

#65 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well this is great news, and it changes everything. I have been thinking I had to "trick" them into getting me close, and then I'd finish the rest after they left. I thought it wasn't allowed so I couldn't let them find out what my real plans were.

Now that I know this is Directv approved, I'll just print it out and give it to the tech.

The "problem" might be that the picture doesn't show the bridging of the CCK's. I haven't seen anything that references that situation specificially, so I didn't believe they had an official policy in place yet. VOS would be the authority, so I would definitely take his word if this is now officially approved. The problem may be proving that to them without some documentation.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#66 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

The "problem" might be that the picture doesn't show the bridging of the CCK's. I haven't seen anything that references that situation specificially, so I didn't believe they had an official policy in place yet. VOS would be the authority, so I would definitely take his word if this is now officially approved. The problem may be proving that to them without some documentation.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go for it. They were pretty adamant that there is a 16 tuner limit that isn't possible to exceed. Even the supervisor who was on site was adamant that 16 was the limit, no matter what, and there was no way around it.

I'm fully expecting them to lie to me and say it won't work when I show them the printed diagram. Either that or they'll tell me it isn't supported by Directv.

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go for it. They were pretty adamant that there is a 16 tuner limit that isn't possible to exceed. Even the supervisor who was on site was adamant that 16 was the limit, no matter what, and there was no way around it.

I'm fully expecting them to lie to me and say it won't work when I show them the printed diagram. Either that or they'll tell me it isn't supported by Directv.

"If that was the case", why is there one of these:
http://www.solidsign...annel)-(SWM-32)

If they won't deal with this, call DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Regardless of the Whole Home element, what is approved is two SWM16's for 17 tuners. I can assure you that your current setup of a SWM16 and a WB68 in parallel is not approved. It is most assuredly on them to fix that part.

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Regardless of the Whole Home element, what is approved is two SWM16's for 17 tuners. I can assure you that your current setup of a SWM16 and a WB68 in parallel is not approved. It is most assuredly on them to fix that part.

Stupidity, or merely the lack of training/understanding shouldn't be the final decision here.
A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Stupidity, or merely the lack of training/understanding shouldn't be the final decision here.

Agreed; you should really vie for that Head Trainer position. I think your phone would be ringing non-stop :lol:

#71 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Cool well I'm definitely going to try.

When the tech(s) get there, I'm just going to give him that diagram and say this is how I need it, and I need them bridged together.

I'm anticipating a lot a push back. I mean, if they wanted to do this, they would have done it in the first place, right? Instead they specifically told me 17 tuners on the same network wasn't possible.

I'm hoping that when I inevitably have to call Directv about this, the phone rep understands the issue and agrees that it's supported. Hopefully they don't just refer me to the tech's supervisor (who was there during the install and also flat out told me more than 16 tuners on the same network wasn't possible).

I sure wish there was some official diagram to give them, or a diagram that showed them bridged.

#72 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

You may have to pay for the second SWM 16 which will be pricey. You may save time and money just doing it as a DIY following that diagram.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#73 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Cool well I'm definitely going to try.

When the tech(s) get there, I'm just going to give him that diagram and say this is how I need it, and I need them bridged together.

I'm anticipating a lot a push back. I mean, if they wanted to do this, they would have done it in the first place, right? Instead they specifically told me 17 tuners on the same network wasn't possible.

I'm hoping that when I inevitably have to call Directv about this, the phone rep understands the issue and agrees that it's supported. Hopefully they don't just refer me to the tech's supervisor (who was there during the install and also flat out told me more than 16 tuners on the same network wasn't possible).

I sure wish there was some official diagram to give them, or a diagram that showed them bridged.

Why they installed the WB68, I can only speculate... Should you receive pushback on installing the second SWM16 ask to see the original workorder. The two SWM16's should be listed on that document for the amount of tuners you have. This might be an indication (to them) that you know what you're talking about, and have some ammo in your pocket (not following a workorder is a big no no.) Hopefully that will be enough to ensure they bridge the two with CCK's as well.

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

You may have to pay for the second SWM 16 which will be pricey. You may save time and money just doing it as a DIY following that diagram.

In NJ, we have a member with 22 tuners on dual SWiM-16s & twin CCKs, all installed without charge, [OK he's known to tip well :lol:].
A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

You've got the "how to" feed two SWiM-16s.
Once they get that far, "for them" each can be looked at as two separate installs, so each -16 needs a CCK to connect to the internet [your router].
The bridging is done by your router, so "all they need to do is" (:lol:) connect each SWiM-16 to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#76 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

You've got the "how to" feed two SWiM-16s.
Once they get that far, "for them" each can be looked at as two separate installs, so each -16 needs a CCK to connect to the internet [your router].
The bridging is done by your router, so "all they need to do is" (:lol:) connect each SWiM-16 to your router.

So they connect them to my router, or they connect them to each other? Or does it work either way?

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

So they connect them to my router, or they connect them to each other? Or does it work either way?

Each CCK needs to connect to your router. They can't connect to each other, unless you have an ethernet switch and then connect it to your router, otherwise the router is what bridges these two together.
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

I was reading through this:
http://forums.solids...-the-home/page3

And it basically says this diagram is the way to go if possible:
Posted Image

Is this method of bridging better than connecting it through ethernet? I know it says it is for a few reasons, but I don't know if it's still the case or if the issues posed have been resolved.

Do Directv techs ever hook it up this way? The one SWM16 I currently have is already connected to my router with a CCK, and I have that additional (wireless) CCK they sent me for the HR21, which should presumably bridge them if I connect it with ethernet instead of wireless. But the problem is my HR21 is in a different room from my router, so running ethernet isn't the greatest option.

If I print this out and give it to the tech, do you think they will have all the stuff to do it? And would it be out of the question for them to do even if they had the stuff?

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Didn't you also get a DECA besides the wireless CCK?
If so, the DECA needs to go on the HR21, like this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...77&d=1279075740

Yes, the wireless CCK doesn't need to be connected wirelessly and can use ethernet.

If you look at that diagram, you'll see it doesn't say it's DirecTV Approved.

Actually that method is one I've come up with myself, and tested. There are some at DirecTV that know about it, but it hasn't been submitted for approval, so there isn't a tech that has been trained to use it.

Given the problems you are having, I wouldn't even ask them about it.
You need to have them set you up with the "Approved" method.
If you want to make a change later, that will be your option and your costs.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Didn't you also get a DECA besides the wireless CCK?
If so, the DECA needs to go on the HR21.

Yes, the wireless CCK doesn't need to be connected wirelessly and can use ethernet.

If you look at that diagram, you'll see it doesn't say it's DirecTV Approved.

Actually that method is one I've come up with myself, and tested. There are some at DirecTV that know about it, but it hasn't been submitted for approval, so there isn't a tech that has been trained to use it.

Given the problems you are having, I wouldn't even ask them about it.
You need to have them set you up with the "Approved" method.
If you want to make a change later, that will be your option and your costs.

Yeah they sent a DECA with the wireless CCK.

Okay, well I'll just give him the diagram of the approved method then.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...