Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Basic questions from a moron

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yeah they sent a DECA with the wireless CCK.

Okay, well I'll just give him the diagram of the approved method then.

It seems it's going to be hard enough to get them to do the job right.

I'll be glad to work with you if you want to change the coax networking to "my method", but it is a full DIY project.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

It seems it's going to be hard enough to get them to do the job right.

I'll be glad to work with you if you want to change the coax networking to "my method", but it is a full DIY project.

Sweet, I appreciate the help.

I just talked to the tech, he said he'd call me tomorrow morning and get another SWM16 installed tomorrow.

I just checked the cables, and they ran 2 coax cables to the HR21. The cables actually pass through the closet (in another room) where I have my router (and the current CCK is installed in there as well).

Anyway, both of these coax cables that go to the HR21, in the closet where the router is, they have "coupler" style connectors on them, which connects them to the longer cables that go outside.

So, presumably, when this is all connected properly to the SWM16, I'll probably only be using 1 of those cables. So hopefully I can use that "extra" cable to connect to the CCK and set it up using your method.

And in the mean time, I should hopefully be able to tap into the cable that will be in use for the HR21 right there at that same place, and connect the new CCK they just sent me, and plug it into the router right there (or a switch, which then connects to the router).

So either way, this is looking like it's doable once they get the SWM16 installed. The main thing I was worried about was running cables (either coax or Ethernet) and it looks like that part is no longer a concern.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 09 November 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#83 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

So I have been studying those diagrams and the picture of my Directv stuff.

I think what I need in order to do this (after they install the second SWM16 tomorrow) is:
8 short coax cables
4 way splitter
4 diplexers

Do they sell this stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot or do I have to order it online? I'm hoping to tackle this tomorrow if at all possible.

I'm thinking I'll just connect my CCK to the extra coax that runs out to the multiswitches (once the HR21 only needs 1 coax and the second coax that it's currently using is no longer in use). Then I'll connect the other end of it to the input of the 4 way splitter, which I'll install right next to the 2 SWM16s.

I'll then use short coax cables to go from the output on the 4 way splitter to the inputs on the diplexers.

Then I'll take the existing cables that are currently connected to the SWM16s outputs, and I'll connect them to the outputs of the diplexers instead.

I'll then take short coax cables and connect the SWM16 outputs to the other inputs on the diplexers.

I'm no expert (as the thread title says, I'm a moron) so I may very well be missing something, but as far as I can tell, this should work.

Any ideas where I should look for the 4 way splitter and diplexers locally so I don't have to wait for shipping?

#84 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

The diplexers and splitters need to be "a certain type", which Lowes doesn't have.

Solid Signal carries them and was nice enough to give me the diplexers so I could test my method.
The NAS diplexers are the only ones approved by DirecTV to use with SWiM. They just haven't [yet] approved them for how I use them. :lol:

The splitters must also be the type with the green label as these have been modified to work with DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#85 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Crap I guess I'll have to order it online then and wait for shipping.

Looks like this is a project for next weekend.

I will still bridge the through Ethernet tomorrow at least.

Thanks for all the help.

#86 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

So they stood me up. No call, nothing. I tried to call and it went straight to voice mail.

This all started several days ago when I called the supervisor who was here during the install. He was like "I told you that one of the receivers wouldn't have whole home, there's nothing I can do for you."

So I called one of the techs that was here (phone number was on the same sticker as the supervisor's number).

He said he didn't have time that day, but he'd call me Friday (yesterday) and do it then. He never called. I ended up calling him. He said he didn't have time but he'd call me tomorrow morning (today) around 8:00 or 9:00 and do it then. He never called. So I called him and got voice mail. Still haven't heard from him.

So I got sick of it and just called Directv. That was the most frustrating call you can imagine.

Directv really needs to start paying their phone reps a decent wage so we can get decent people on the phone when something like this happens. For that matter, they need to start paying their outside techs a decent wage so things like this don't happen.

If I didn't actually love the product, I'd have cancelled by now. They better hope Dish Network never gets NFL Sunday Ticket.

So now I have to wait till Wednesday, when they'll likely send this same tech.

#87 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Update: the tech just left and I'm up and running!

He cashed before coming too so I knew when he'd be here. Was a pretty great experience, considering what I'd been through.

He also said the previous techs (the crappy ones) were contractors, and he was an actual Directv employee.

I gave him the schematic for the diplexers bridging the SWMs. He had never heard of that. He said he would have done it for me, but he didn't have any diplexers on his truck. Said he was curious to see if it worked though, because in theory it should.

He did hook up the extra SWM16 though, and put a DECA on my HR21, to make it easier on me when I get the diplexers.

After he left, I connected the coax that goes into the HR21 to the wireless CCK I bought. I then connected that through Ethernet to a switch. The HR34 shady had a CCK connecting it to my home router, so I just removed it from the router and connected it to the same switch as the other CCK. Then I connected that switch to my router.

From there, I just named the location, shared the playlist, and it worked on the other tvs that previously couldn't see it.

So now, I'm still going to do the diplexer way so I can use the iPad app and all that, but I have a question. The extra coax running out there that I was planning on using to connect to a single CCK (as the diagram shows) is currently being used to power the SWM16. Will a CCK work on the same coax as the SWM power supply?

#88 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Will a CCK work on the same coax as the SWM power supply?

yes
A.K.A VOS

#89 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

yes

Okay cool, well I'm in good shape to finish this. I just need to get those diplexers. It's working for now, so no rush on that.

Thanks for all the help!

spam firewall