Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Firmware Updates? Betas? Web apps?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dannaswolcott91

dannaswolcott91

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I was wondering if there is going to be any Beta testing with the THR-22 TivO Hd DVR box like there has been for the non tivo DVRS this past year. I was hoping to find out that soon there will be a firmware update that will alow Pandora to play on the TiVo, I really like my TiVo DVR I would use it as my main DVR on the main TV , But we play to much Pandora so it stays in the office, Anyway, Does anyone know if there is any beta tests out there or pending software updates that will allow web apps or Pandora on the THR-22 model? Any info would be great, Thank You in advance, Dannas!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,638 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Congrats on your first post!

Unfortunately, THR22 testing is completely run by TiVo, Inc. I would be sincerely surprised to see anything like Pandora or any Premiere-like features on the THR22.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   dannaswolcott91

dannaswolcott91

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

It would be awesome if they would add it, They have it on all their own DVRS, why not add it to the DirecTV model one. Does TiVo's top DVR support Satellite TV service at all? or is the THR-22 the only DVR that supports TiVo?

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,638 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

The THR22 is the only TiVo product that supports DIRECTV and as you know it's built on DIRECTV's hardware, not on TiVo's. I don't know why they don't put more resources into it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   dannaswolcott91

dannaswolcott91

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have the TiVo HD XL model DVR right from TiVo, and I love it! I got the local channels on it using my HD antenna and omg the picture is amazing!, But its mostly used for Pandora and you tube, I cant give it up everyone loves it so much, I just wish I could have everything all in one box with the TiVo interface and layout. I thought about going to cable and getting more TiVo DVRS and using a cable card, but I would be paying crazy amounts of money to the cable company, Plus DirecTV is so much better with their support and cheaper.

#6 OFFLINE   dannaswolcott91

dannaswolcott91

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

The THR22 is the only TiVo product that supports DIRECTV and as you know it's built on DIRECTV's hardware, not on TiVo's. I don't know why they don't put more resources into it.

Maybe over time, if they see more and more people buy this model and like it, they will spend the money to expand in to a newer model witch will support it witch I so hope happens!

#7 OFFLINE   alexginga

alexginga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I am afraid the era of multiple set-top boxes is over.. Everybody is investing in streaming SmartTV apps, virtual RVU clients, including Genie..

http://informitv.com...vreleasesgenie/

I am a big fan of Tivo - so I got THR22 for sentimental reasons, but for Pandora, Netflix, Youtube3D, Hulu+, Skype, Sudoku, etc. - I am using Samsung SmartHub TV apps that are embedded in the TV itself...

#8 OFFLINE   frankygamer

frankygamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I guess if we are going to speculate, maybe it's because DirecTV won't let TiVo compete on an even playing field since pulling the rug out from under TiVo during the MPEG2 to MPEG4 conversion.

At the end of the day, it's a DirecTV DVR regardless of what anyone says here. They subcontracted the SW to TiVo and TiVo gave them what they asked for. If TiVo had incentive to invest resources, they would, like any business. If there is no incentive, you get the THR22.

If you want a TiVo DVR, buy a XL4 and go cable or FIOS.

#9 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 692 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

I guess if we are going to speculate, maybe it's because DirecTV won't let TiVo compete on an even playing field since pulling the rug out from under TiVo during the MPEG2 to MPEG4 conversion.

At the end of the day, it's a DirecTV DVR regardless of what anyone says here. They subcontracted the SW to TiVo and TiVo gave them what they asked for. If TiVo had incentive to invest resources, they would, like any business. If there is no incentive, you get the THR22.

+1.....well put.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Tivo gets a fee per active TiVo that DIRECTV has. They are incentified to have more of them active. TiVo has chosen that it's just not a high enough priority anymore to them to do so.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   frankygamer

frankygamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Tivo gets a fee per active TiVo that DIRECTV has. They are incentified to have more of them active. TiVo has chosen that it's just not a high enough priority anymore to them to do so.

I should have said incentive vs risk. TiVo could pour tons of money into the THR22 but at the risk of DirecTV pulling the plug on a specific feature or the entire DVR itself. The incentive vs risk is just not there.

If you can afford it, it's nice to have both. With the XL4 you can see the next set of features DirecTV will be adding to their DVR over the next 2-4 years. Genie is nothing more then TiVo suggestions. Pandora and YouTube have been on The Premiere for years. DirecTV to Go/Nomad whatever they call it today is just TivoToGo/TivoStream.

It seems pretty clear to me where TiVo gets their dollars from DirecTV and it's not THR22 subscriptions but I'm just speculating just as anyone is. There is no "official" explanation of the agreement from either side.

#12 OFFLINE   avlnch

avlnch

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I wish there would be an update to the THR22, but not so much for Pandora. More like an update to bring the THR22's technogy into this century. This is like going around 8-10 years backwards. You only choose this box if you want the TIVO features and are willing to sacrifice everything else that today's receivers have.. a standing example is the HR-24.

If DTV controls the hardware, and they are only willing to put last century hardware into the TIVO box, then how could TIVO provide us with an HD UI and overall better software? They can't.. the existing hardware probably wouldn't be able to support it. Looks to me like DTV is purposely holding TIVO back to keep the HR-24 as the flagship model.. which it is.

#13 OFFLINE   avlnch

avlnch

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Completely agree with your statement. I only read your post after I submitted mine above.

I probably will go get a real TIVO DVR and use Comcast Cable (FiOS isn't available in my area). Too bad because I really like DTV. I guess I'll reinstall my HR-24 and use it when I need it, but keep my TV use mostly on Cable with TIVO's real DVR.

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

I wish there would be an update to the THR22, but not so much for Pandora. More like an update to bring the THR22's technogy into this century. This is like going around 8-10 years backwards. You only choose this box if you want the TIVO features and are willing to sacrifice everything else that today's receivers have.. a standing example is the HR-24.

If DTV controls the hardware, and they are only willing to put last century hardware into the TIVO box, then how could TIVO provide us with an HD UI and overall better software? They can't.. the existing hardware probably wouldn't be able to support it. Looks to me like DTV is purposely holding TIVO back to keep the HR-24 as the flagship model.. which it is.

The HR22 is the same as a THR22 and given how many delays we say it's not too hard to gather that they started when the THR22 was the latest tech out. I'm willing to bet that if TiVo wanted to make a THR24 they could as well. I'm sure if TiVo really wanted to they could do a lot with the THR22 or even make a THR24. However I've already said that I don't think they will see the ROI they need and so they won't prioritize it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

It would appear that TiVo's strategy has changed. Several years ago they somewhat deemphasized the hardware and tried to position themselves as a software platform. This was around the time the THR-22 project started. That effort was largely unsuccessful, with only a handful of contracts being signed and fewer products delivered. More recently, TiVo seems to have returned to a more overtly hardware centric business model. As such, there is little enthusiasm for continued development on a DirecTV TiVo. DirecTV sees little advantage in having it, and none in making it equal in features to their own DVRs (why give TiVo a subscriber fee if they don't have to?). Likewise, TiVo likely can see that little real revenue is ever going to be generated by the THR-22, and so it is not the best place to invest scarce development resources.

We originally switched to DirecTV specifically for the original TiVo DVRs. No one was a bigger fan of TiVo. However, I think the days of choosing your provider based on the DVR software used are over. The THR-22 is, IMO, a result of a contract that really stopped making sense before the device was finished, but the parties were so far in it made more sense to ontinue than to back out. It is what it is and it is very unlikely to be significantly enhanced anytime soon.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

spam firewall