Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are your plans after price freeze expires?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'd make this a poll but lack the expertise.

Exit, stage left?

Endure the unendurable?

Switch "providers"?

If you have to ask for the price of the walletectomy you couldn't afford it

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'd make this a poll but lack the expertise.

Exit, stage left?

Endure the unendurable?

Switch "providers"?

If you have to ask for the price of the walletectomy you couldn't afford it

If you are asking what to do when your 2 yr. contract is up you basically have 2 options. Pay the going rate or leave.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Same thing I always do... stay with Dish... sometimes I change my programming... but usually within a month or so DirecTV and Time Warner raise their prices too... so the choice of switching to save money is usually only a fleeting thing.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Expecting a $5 increase, I'm considering dropping from AT200 to AT120 to save $15, but they've added a lot to AT200 in the last year or two, like Nat Geo and Science, and we like BBCA, so I'm torn. I need to drop Showtime to save $13, but I want to see Shameless and The Borgias. Decisions, decisions.

#5 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Has anything specific been announced? I'm not aware of anything so I have no plans.

#6 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Expecting a $5 increase, I'm considering dropping from AT200 to AT120 to save $15, but they've added a lot to AT200 in the last year or two, like Nat Geo and Science, and we like BBCA, so I'm torn. I need to drop Showtime to save $13, but I want to see Shameless and The Borgias. Decisions, decisions.

Why don't you call and ask if dish can offer you showtime for half off for 6 months offer?

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Same thing I always do... stay with Dish... sometimes I change my programming... but usually within a month or so DirecTV and Time Warner raise their prices too... so the choice of switching to save money is usually only a fleeting thing.

+1 I learned my lesson with U-verse.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

That's a good idea.

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Ill stay and pay my bill like a normal customer with no entitlement issues :P

#10 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

i'll stay
dish has given me plenty of freebies

#11 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

If the increase is high, drop down a package.

Dish has been way more generous then DTV ever was when I was a sub there.

Hopefully it won't be much of a increase.:nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

i'll stay
dish has given me plenty of freebies

Me too...:)
Thank you and
Best of luck

#13 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

If the increase is high, drop down a package.

Dish has been way more generous then DTV ever was when I was a sub there.

Hopefully it won't be much of a increase.:nono2:

Same here.

We currently have AT200 plus BB@H w/722K dvr and it is pretty near the perfect package for us. If it's too large of an increase, we'll drop down to AT120+. But at this point our local cable options aren't that appealing and D* gets pricey after the promos are finished. That's why we stayed on after the AMC channels were dropped.

#14 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

If it is a $5 increase I probably gonna cut the cord completely. It would not do us any good to drop down because the few channels we watch are in the at200. We will just go with the roku and OTA.

#15 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I've read guesstimates of a $10 increase for each package plus a $10 increase in monthly DVR fees. If this happens I can imagine plenty of subs jumping ship because of the new customer incentives offered by "D" and most cable companies. I can also guess that when you call "E" to cancel you will be offered a plethora of discounts and extra's to stay. After no price increases for 2 years and the $$$ Hit Charlie took in the courts I expect that he'll be making that up somewhere.

#16 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Isn't this a silly topic when no one has any factual information?

#17 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I believe a $10 increase for both packages and equipment would be suicide for DISH. I expect an increase, but not $20. I am already trying to figure out ways to make cuts to programming so I can afford to upgrade to Hopper/Joey system. A gigantic increase like that would force this 16 year customer to jump ship to D* or go OTA exclusive.

#18 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I believe a $10 increase for both packages and equipment would be suicide for DISH. I expect an increase, but not $20. I am already trying to figure out ways to make cuts to programming so I can afford to upgrade to Hopper/Joey system. A gigantic increase like that would force this 16 year customer to jump ship to D* or go OTA exclusive.

I think your right about that. A $20 increase would make a lot of people jump ship. I love my Hoppers but I would not stay if my bill went up $20 a month. I don't mind a little increase here and there. I think all of us are used to that but not a big $20 shot all at once.

#19 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I went from paying about $40 for HD Absolute 2 years ago to $85 currently, if it is more than $5 total increase, I'll seriously consider going OTA ONLY!

Somebody's got to send a message to these clowns that we will not take being soaked year after year.

I suggest we all drop Dish if it is a $10 increase and plan to come back in 90 days as new customers with all the goodies of the new customer discount.

It would be quite a shock for them to experience a huge subscriber drop immediately when the price increase occurs.

Only if we act in concert will they see we mean business.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Why even bother to get mad at someone's random rumors?

Hey, I imagined that Dish will drop prices $20 per month before raising them $10 so it will still be lower!

Yay!

Believe my random rumor :)

But seriously... this far out... people are probably just making stuff up to worry about. No need to worry until we get to February... then you can panic if you don't like the next increase.

Though, be aware... DirecTV and cable companies usually raise their rates 1-2 months out from there too... so don't go somewhere in a panic only to find they raised their rates too!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall