Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are your plans after price freeze expires?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

If the increase is high, drop down a package.

Dish has been way more generous then DTV ever was when I was a sub there.

Hopefully it won't be much of a increase.:nono2:

What he said.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Why even bother to get mad at someone's random rumors?

Hey, I imagined that Dish will drop prices $20 per month before raising them $10 so it will still be lower!

Yay!

Believe my random rumor :)

But seriously... this far out... people are probably just making stuff up to worry about. No need to worry until we get to February... then you can panic if you don't like the next increase.

Though, be aware... DirecTV and cable companies usually raise their rates 1-2 months out from there too... so don't go somewhere in a panic only to find they raised their rates too!

and what he said.

#23 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

:DDish will still be cheaper than Concrap cable

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Why would I leave Dish to pay even more somewhere? Or perhaps about the same? In many cases to get inferior equipment? If cable, lose my connection everytime a leaf falls? Prices usually go up every year for everyone.

#25 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have been with E* since 1998 and no regrets. We have moved twice and both times we hooked up cable for a month and hated it. Right now we use suddenlink for internet and phone, but E* for TV.

Thanks to all for all the great comments and updates.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#26 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

I've read guesstimates of a $10 increase for each package plus a $10 increase in monthly DVR fees. If this happens I can imagine plenty of subs jumping ship because of the new customer incentives offered by "D" and most cable companies. I can also guess that when you call "E" to cancel you will be offered a plethora of discounts and extra's to stay. After no price increases for 2 years and the $$$ Hit Charlie took in the courts I expect that he'll be making that up somewhere.

well, ergen could always sell some of his "spectrum", :lol:

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,188 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've read guesstimates of a $10 increase for each package plus a $10 increase in monthly DVR fees.

I disagree with that guess. DISH will remain one step behind DirecTV in price increases. It is where they like to be in the marketplace. About one year cheaper.

I can also guess that when you call "E" to cancel you will be offered a plethora of discounts and extra's to stay.

I disagree with that guess. You have DISH confused with DirecTV. DISH will let you go. They went a different way with the AMC issue because it was cheaper to give away a few freebees. DISH will do that with programming disputes - but "special deals for complainers" is not typical for DISH.

After no price increases for 2 years and the $$$ Hit Charlie took in the courts I expect that he'll be making that up somewhere.

This quarter (3Q) was not good ... the first quarter posted as a loss since 2002. But they are still on track for a decent year ... not great, but it won't be their worst year.

#28 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

A $20 increase would be enough for me to cancel. I put up an OTA antenna a little more than a year ago, and it seems as though I watch that more than satellite. Sure, there are some things I'll miss from Dish, but I refuse to become a member of Dish's "$100 a month" club.

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

#29 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

People here are funny. Are u people so cheap you would drop dish over 5 bucks? Really? If u drop then u have to get another service problally loose a day of work for the installation then prob hate new service have to live out their contract then tuck your tail and come back. Just pay the 5 dollars

#30 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I would rather loose a day then tighten it :D

#31 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

I disagree with that guess. DISH will remain one step behind DirecTV in price increases. It is where they like to be in the marketplace. About one year cheaper.I disagree with that guess. You have DISH confused with DirecTV. DISH will let you go. They went a different way with the AMC issue because it was cheaper to give away a few freebees. DISH will do that with programming disputes - but "special deals for complainers" is not typical for DISH.This quarter (3Q) was not good ... the first quarter posted as a loss since 2002. But they are still on track for a decent year ... not great, but it won't be their worst year.

Nope. I don't have Dish confused with Directv. All you have to do is go back and read some of the posts in the "Dish dropped AMC" thread. Dish was offering free Roku's, discounts of $10 per month for up to a year. Free movie channels.

#32 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'll probably wait & see what happens before I decide what I'll do in response to the unknown

#33 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

People here are funny. Are u people so cheap you would drop dish over 5 bucks? Really? If u drop then u have to get another service problally loose a day of work for the installation then prob hate new service have to live out their contract then tuck your tail and come back. Just pay the 5 dollars

Yep if i dropped them i would never look back. Just go with my ota and roku box. TV is just not that all important to me.

#34 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

We've had Dish for 8 years, and have been very happy. We have AEP (premiums, plus DVR). I always check the "competitors" when there is a pricing "change" (read increase), and have found that they are less expensive than DTV and way, way cheaper than my local cable company. Due to the AMC situation, we were given a lot of perks to retain our business, and are pleased with the CS offered. I almost switched over TWD, but my patience was rewarded.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#35 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

A $20 increase would be enough for me to cancel. I put up an OTA antenna a little more than a year ago, and it seems as though I watch that more than satellite. Sure, there are some things I'll miss from Dish, but I refuse to become a member of Dish's "$100 a month" club.

Several months ago I made a list of what I watched OTA vs sat only programming. I did this for 4 weeks & 80% of what I watched was OTA. This made me consider going strictly OTA. But I would really miss some of the sat programming. While some of that is on Hulu it is not HD. So I'm staying with Dish as long as I can afford it.

#36 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I could live with OTA and 5 channels off sat. USA, TNT, SCIFI, ESPN, and FSN. I would miss a few shows on TBS and a couple of others but I could live with that.

#37 OFFLINE   Steveb_77

Steveb_77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yep if i dropped them i would never look back. Just go with my ota and roku box. TV is just not that all important to me.

Have to say I agree somewhat. The ROKU is a fantastic piece of hardware.

#38 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Long as they maintain my price I'm good; they've done some odd stuff before. (E.g., spontaneous channel additions that enabled me to remove packages after ensuring the additions would remain...followed by the channels disappearing and me being 'required' to pay $5 to add them back.)

#39 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

I went from paying about $40 for HD Absolute 2 years ago to $85 currently, if it is more than $5 total increase, I'll seriously consider going OTA ONLY!

I had the HD Absolute when it was $30/mo.

That plan went away, and I went OTA + streaming.

i've been looking at that dish welcome pack though. I can stomache $15/mo for a few channels i'll actually watch, but i remember not long ago it was $10/mo, so now I'm thinking soon enough it will be $20/mo and so on.

#40 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Not related to the price freeze of a couple of years back, but this will likely be my last year wish Dish. I've never paid a DVR fee and never will. I just don't believe in them. When they changed the policy a year or so back, they granted a 2 year grace period of DVR fee credits. I'm in my second year of those credits. When they go away, so do I.

Maybe they'll come up with an extension, but I'm not counting in it.

Question though. I've read that some people get some programming on certain receivers even without a paid subscription. What, if anything is available? Is there a list of channels? What about the rotating free preview channels?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall