Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are your plans after price freeze expires?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

For various reasons I'm reluctantly a "Everything" customer. Free Previews? what free previews? to get any compensation I have to ask, which by some maybe most will be conceived as complaining, whatever.....
Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Not related to the price freeze of a couple of years back, but this will likely be my last year wish Dish. I've never paid a DVR fee and never will. I just don't believe in them. When they changed the policy a year or so back, they granted a 2 year grace period of DVR fee credits. I'm in my second year of those credits. When they go away, so do I.

Maybe they'll come up with an extension, but I'm not counting in it.

Question though. I've read that some people get some programming on certain receivers even without a paid subscription. What, if anything is available? Is there a list of channels? What about the rotating free preview channels?

Yeah, dvr fee just an extra fee for them to make money.

#43 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Not related to the price freeze of a couple of years back, but this will likely be my last year wish Dish. I've never paid a DVR fee and never will. I just don't believe in them. When they changed the policy a year or so back, they granted a 2 year grace period of DVR fee credits. I'm in my second year of those credits. When they go away, so do I.

Maybe they'll come up with an extension, but I'm not counting in it.

Question though. I've read that some people get some programming on certain receivers even without a paid subscription. What, if anything is available? Is there a list of channels? What about the rotating free preview channels?

Wow for someone with so much animosity towards people trying to get freebies during the AMC issues your quite quick to try and save a buck for yourself ehh?

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I've never paid a DVR fee and never will.

So what provider does not have a DVR fee? And what are you giving up to move to that provider?

I don't like fees, but they are a part of subscribing to TV.

#45 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

So what provider does not have a DVR fee? And what are you giving up to move to that provider?

The first dvr I had with no fee was a Replay TV and it had a remote head you stuck on the receiver that changed the channel.

#46 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

windows media center. :grin:

Harder to do with satellite, but not impossible. Very easy to do with cablecard.

#47 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

windows media center. :grin:

Harder to do with satellite, but not impossible. Very easy to do with cablecard.

Of course you need to factor in the investment cost of the pc and tuner card(s) to make a fair price comparison. Now break that down on a monthly basis and how many years does it take to break even on the monthly dvr fee?

#48 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Which I won't be doing.

WMC, OTA, DVD, maybe some streaming, etc. Might even look at trying FTA. My ISP has a TV page included in their home page that offers quite a bit of choice in free programming, both classic and current.

If I can get anything in stray programming from Dish, fine.

I already have the PC, etc. so no cost involved there.

No matter what, I won't be paying $700/yr or more plus getting nickle and dimed by a DVR fee.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#49 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Which I won't be doing.

WMC, OTA, DVD, maybe some streaming, etc. Might even look at trying FTA. My ISP has a TV page included in their home page that offers quite a bit of choice in free programming, both classic and current.

If I can get anything in stray programming from Dish, fine.

I already have the PC, etc. so no cost involved there.

No matter what, I won't be paying $700/yr or more plus getting nickle and dimed by a DVR fee.

Wow your the guy that told someone they "betrayed" their provider when they left. What a hypocrite!

#50 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Name calling doesn't ad anything to the discussion. The point is dvr fees suck and there is nothing we can do about it. It's actually a case of collusion when you think about it. Sort of like DOC fees at a car dealer.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

It's actually a case of collusion when you think about it. Sort of like DOC fees at a car dealer.

collusion
1. a secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy: Some of his employees were acting in collusion to rob him.
2. Law . a secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement: collusion of husband and wife to obtain a divorce.
dictionary.com

What is the secret? What is illegal?

Charging a fee for the service is not against the law ... and there is no secret that fees are charged for having a DVR on the account. DISH and other providers openly publish their fee schedules, which are readable by subscribers and non-subscribers.

#52 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

The first dvr I had with no fee was a Replay TV and it had a remote head you stuck on the receiver that changed the channel.

When ReplayTV and TiVo came out, ReplayTV cost just about the same as a TiVo plus lifetime service. So I think it had a fee, just priced differently. Everyone breaks out their fees differently so I think you should look at the total cost and not get annoyed by a certain label on some fraction of your total fees. So far to me it looks like my 722K with dual tuners, HD, and much more disk space, is costing about as much over time as my original single tuner SD TiVo plus lifetime service, so I think it's OK.

#53 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

collusion
1. a secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy: Some of his employees were acting in collusion to rob him.
2. Law . a secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement: collusion of husband and wife to obtain a divorce.
dictionary.com

What is the secret? What is illegal?

Charging a fee for the service is not against the law ... and there is no secret that fees are charged for having a DVR on the account. DISH and other providers openly publish their fee schedules, which are readable by subscribers and non-subscribers.

Well, the secret would be that they did not want anybody to know that the dvr fee agreement was made in the first place. The fraud part would have to be proved in a court of law. But, in the court of public opinion the fraud here is two or more companies agreeing to ad a charge for the simple purpose of profit, ie: to charge for something that did not exist in the past (a dvr fee). In this case, as long as every provider does it the customer has no option to change providers in an attempt to not be charged said fee. As I mentioned concerning the DOC fee at car dealers. They all decided together to charge a DOC fee. No exceptions. All for the good of the owner. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it if we want the service.

#54 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I just don't see the legitimacy of it. I can see a lease fee if you're leasing the box. But to add a DVR fee on top of the lease fee makes no sense. If you buy the box, adding a DVR fee makes no sense. It doesn't cost Dish a dime for the customer to use the DVR functions. In fact, they really don't know if you're using it or not.

And this is all on top of your subscription rate.

When you buy a refrigerator, the manufacturer or retailer don't charge you extra to use the ice maker.

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Well, the secret would be that they did not want anybody to know that the dvr fee agreement was made in the first place.

It is not kept a secret. As one signs up for service it is disclosed. Before one signs up for service the fee can easily be found.

As I mentioned concerning the DOC fee at car dealers. They all decided together to charge a DOC fee. No exceptions. All for the good of the owner. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it if we want the service.

It is a payment for a service rendered - and it is disclosed as the purchase deal is signed. At least it was when I bought my cars.

I just don't see the legitimacy of it. I can see a lease fee if you're leasing the box. But to add a DVR fee on top of the lease fee makes no sense. If you buy the box, adding a DVR fee makes no sense. It doesn't cost Dish a dime for the customer to use the DVR functions.

It may not have cost DISH a dime for you to use the DVR but it cost them a pretty penny to develop and maintain a DVR for your use.

Why should a non-DVR customer pay the same as a DVR customer when they are not getting the benefit of the DVR? A person who chooses to have a DVR and not use it still has a DVR available to them (and they could choose to not have a DVR). DVR fees are avoidable ... don't have a DVR.

In fact, they really don't know if you're using it or not.

If it is connected to phone or internet they do. :)

And this is all on top of your subscription rate.

OK ... lets make a deal. Raise EVERYONE'S rate by $7 and cancel the per account DVR fee. :D

When you buy a refrigerator, the manufacturer or retailer don't charge you extra to use the ice maker.

You pay a monthly fee to your refrigerator supplier? Perhaps you do if it is from a rental place. I would not be surprised to pay more per month to rent a refrigerator with an ice maker.

Manufacturers and retailers charge extra for refrigerators with ice makers.

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

You pay a monthly fee to your refrigerator supplier?

No, I don't. That's the point. I pay once when I buy it with no monthly fees to use it. Same should apply for the DVR I bought.

In fact, I should be able to buy a third party DVR and use it. Seems like people could do that in the past if I remember right. Maybe that was pre-DVR days.

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

No, I don't. That's the point. I pay once when I buy it with no monthly fees to use it. Same should apply for the DVR I bought.

Somehow the fridge I bought requires electricity to keep it running and the car I bought requires gas and other consumables.

If I understand correctly, you have already said that you don't mind paying the monthly lease fee or additional receiver fees. I don't see DVR service to be much different than any other service fee. I would watch a lot less TV if it were not captured for me on my DVR. If I were to take the hours watched divided by the monthly cost having the DVR increasing the hours watched makes my subscription a better value. Even with the fee factored in.

In fact, I should be able to buy a third party DVR and use it.

You can ... you can even build your own DVR ... just don't expect it to work as well as a DVR built in to your satellite receiver. Or be cheaper than the DVR fee you don't want to pay.

#58 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Somehow the fridge I bought requires electricity to keep it running and the car I bought requires gas and other consumables.

I knew somebody would bring that into it, but remember, the DVR uses electricity also on top of everything else. That doesn't get paid to Dish though, so it isn't really relevant any more than it is on a fridge.

#59 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

But if you buy, for example, Windows 7, and you want the features of a higher edition, you just pay more, because in most cases, those extra features are already on your disk. You just pay to use them. Many software products are like that these days.

Some hardware products are different only in the firmware that is loaded on them and some even have the same firmware and become the cheaper or more expensive product via a jumper. etc.

My car came with a satellite radio but I have to pay to use it. My neighbors car and my car both have GPS built-in. Only he has to pay to use his and using mine was included in the base price.

There are an infinite number of pricing analogies that you can point to so you can always say someone/something else is not like "this".

Edited by Orion9, 26 November 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Wow there's still people complaining about DVR fees? Really?! Thought that ship sailed years ago. Like noted above no one has to pay a DVR fee if they don't want to, so if the fee bothers you then get rid of the DVR. Personally the $6/mo I pay for my DVR is about the best monthly investment I have for my entertainment dollar!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

spam firewall