Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I continue to have dvr scheduler problems with the hr34. Recordings via scheduler always fail to record anything. Someone here said turn off genie, but that didn't help. Weeks ago the CSR told me they had a fix they would push to my system but of course that was bs and nothing happened.

Steve

What do you mean by "scheduler"? You cannot get anything recorded via the Guide?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

We're still getting occasional failures forall types of recordings too. Whether it be series record or via smart app; online via reg internet site, as well as setting it up a few days out in the guide itself.

Key presses on the remote are still laggy as ever. If we had the choice we would revert to the previous "Blue" guide over the "Black". It seems the HD UI is responsible for most of this sluggish performance.

I will add that the recording issues have been with us from the very start regardless of the UI version.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#183 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I continue to have dvr scheduler problems with the hr34. Recordings via scheduler always fail to record anything. Someone here said turn off genie, but that didn't help. Weeks ago the CSR told me they had a fix they would push to my system but of course that was bs and nothing happened.

Steve

You mean recordings set online? Actually those should have been fixed if it was genie caused with the last update you received.

Are you choosing to set them as defenitly record or if you can?

Do you have any other DVRs? Is it working fine for those?

Edited by inkahauts, 02 December 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#184 OFFLINE   utmba95

utmba95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

1. On SD channels, the SPDIF coax out doesn't always work.
2. I have a season pass for Formula 1 as the higest priority/first run, but the HR34 was doing really weird stuff. A couple of times it started an hour late. Other times it didn't record at all. The History list just says "This episode was canceled by <HR34 name>". Nobody was home at the time to cancel it. The exact same season pass on my HR22 worked as expected.
3. On a couple of occasions the UI has locked up for about 3-5 minutes. For instance I'll hit PAUSE and nothing happens for many minutes. Eventually it starts working fine again.

Edited by utmba95, 02 December 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#185 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

On SD channels, the SPDIF coax out doesn't always work.

Also in general, when a program is PAUSED it would be great to continue sending audio (with no volume) rather than stop sending the signal. My old Tivo did that and the receiver doesn't have the lag that it does when the audio is interrupted and restarts.

If you have a recording paused why would you want the audio to continue? I'm not sure I get the logic here. Once you un-paused the recording you'd either hear the audio all over again or be out of sync.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#186 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

If you have a recording paused why would you want the audio to continue? I'm not sure I get the logic here. Once you un-paused the recording you'd either hear the audio all over again or be out of sync.

I think it may be an HDMI handshake which is his problem. Audio starts well after video when coming out of pause. Much more noticeable on HD than SD.

I am about ready to go component and coax into the receiver. I would do it in a heartbeat if I did not need that feed to convert to composite for DVD recording without getting a nag screen about SD output and have to change the settings.

Anyone know if there is a component "splitter". I may just try it with some RCA Y cables.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#187 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I think it may be an HDMI handshake which is his problem. Audio starts well after video when coming out of pause. Much more noticeable on HD than SD.

I am about ready to go component and coax into the receiver. I would do it in a heartbeat if I did not need that feed to convert to composite for DVD recording without getting a nag screen about SD output and have to change the settings.

Anyone know if there is a component "splitter". I may just try it with some RCA Y cables.

Have you tried just using coax for the audio and hdmi to the TV?

#188 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Is there a thread here for upgrading the HD?

#189 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Is there a thread here for upgrading the HD?

Just connect an esata drive. There is a couple threads all about esata in this forum and the connected home one.

#190 OFFLINE   utmba95

utmba95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

The idea is to send blank or muted audio rather than no audio at all. This way the receiver doesn't have the resync delay. Currently when I resume from pause I can't hear the first few seconds of audio. Newer receivers are probably quicker, but Tivo handled this much better. Rather than saying "No Data" my receiver would still show that it was receiving Dolby Digital while paused. Resuming was instantaneous.

#191 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Have you tried just using coax for the audio and hdmi to the TV?

The TV is a display only. Audio is handled by a receiver. The one cable way is HDMI but it has all the HDCP so until all the components agree that they will protect the broadcast junk, there is no video or sound for a bit and then video with no sound and finally both.

With the Pioneer receivers, one would always have audio when swithching from HD to SD programs, the other would not have audio on the SD and only an HDMI reset on either the receiver or TV would solve the problem. Now the Marantz receivers at least have audio on HD and SD regardless of order of "boot up" of the HDMI chain. Copy protection is just plain stupid on any media.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#192 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

The idea is to send blank or muted audio rather than no audio at all. This way the receiver doesn't have the resync delay. Currently when I resume from pause I can't hear the first few seconds of audio. Newer receivers are probably quicker, but Tivo handled this much better. Rather than saying "No Data" my receiver would still show that it was receiving Dolby Digital while paused. Resuming was instantaneous.

Ahhh, now I understand. I thought you were saying that you'd like to be able to pause the video but still hear the audio from the recording.

I've only experienced what you're talking about a few times. When I do I just hit skip back a couple of times.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#193 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just connect an esata drive. There is a couple threads all about esata in this forum and the connected home one.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

#194 OFFLINE   utmba95

utmba95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

>On SD channels, the SPDIF coax out doesn't always work.

I just duplicated this.
1. Was watching The Universe on H2 and had a full buffer.
2. Turned on Double Play to an HD channel.
3. When I went back to the SD channel the audio out no longer worked.

Changing channel up and then back down caused the audio to come back but obviously lost my buffer.

#195 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I had an HR34 installed today replacing one of my HR21s. I was checking to see if my DTV ipad app would show the device which it does. However on the Currently Watching column it says that it is blocked. I went to the Whole Home settings and at External Devices current program is blocked but clicking on that only has block as an option. The other two settings can be set to allow or block but not that one. Is this just an issue with my receiver or is that the way it currently works with the software version it has - 0x54c?

#196 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I had an HR34 installed today replacing one of my HR21s. I was checking to see if my DTV ipad app would show the device which it does. However on the Currently Watching column it says that it is blocked. I went to the Whole Home settings and at External Devices current program is blocked but clicking on that only has block as an option. The other two settings can be set to allow or block but not that one. Is this just an issue with my receiver or is that the way it currently works with the software version it has - 0x54c?

That's not normal. Maybe try doing a menu reset and then seeing if you can get in and change it.

#197 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I got that same black on white screen. Not sure what I was doing when it started. It only happens on ONE C31 client....

returning EVERYTHING to defaults reset it back to the black/blue scheme.

latest anomaly & it almost looks better than the black UI. Posted Image

#198 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, I got that same black on white screen. Not sure what I was doing when it started. It only happens on ONE C31 client....

returning EVERYTHING to defaults reset it back to the black/blue scheme.

Did you try just doing a menu rest on the c31?

#199 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

That's not normal. Maybe try doing a menu reset and then seeing if you can get in and change it.

I restarted the receiver from the menu and the new software was downloaded. After everything started back up I checked that setting again and Current Program is still blocked and I'm unable to change it. Is there another setting somewhere that would affect this?

Just checked again and it is now working, I think the new software was needed. Although the iPad app doesn't show the program. It just says updating, but at least it's not blocked. The app does show the current program of the other receiver, my remaining HR21.

Edited by pappasbike, 06 December 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#200 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware problem. Having a couple issues with recorded shows.

1. will be watching a show, and will skip through the commercial the picture will freeze and not start up again, exit the show, resume and still frozen.

2. will be watching a live show then decide to go to a recorded on, once I select the show and hit play, I see a frozen image of the live show and the recording never starts.

When either happens I have done a RBR and a menu restart and nothing allows me to continue watching the shows, can only delete them.

Not done a surface test becasue I really can;t recall the key sequence to get the test menu up. Wondering if I should just call it in to Directtv. I have the protection plan.

spam firewall