Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Man, this software is slow. 15-20 seconds last night to exit a recording on the C31 and return to the recording list with live TV in the inset window. Five seconds to get a response to trick play commands, and a couple seconds of trick play movement before the progress bar would appear. I bet it took close to 30 seconds when I turned on the C31 last night before it presented live TV to the screen. Sluggish in the menus, too. More than usual, that is.

While my HR34 is properly connected to the internet (I downloaded something last night from HBO On Demand), it apparently isn't presenting itself properly to my home network and thus is not visible in the iPad app. I have also been unable to schedule a recording from the program guide on DirecTV's web site for many days now. I guess a reboot is in order, but this is hardly a satisfying solution.

The performance, behavior, and consistency of the HR34 and C31 is, frankly, quite appalling to me. How is it going to behave when I'm low on space? It's over 80% free right now. Six weeks in, the shine is definitely waning for me, and it is already becoming very frustrating. I've had the white menu shown by texasmoose above, too.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

I had gotten the impression that wifi was built-in to the HR34. I just tried connecting to my wifi and discovered that I'll need an adaptor. Does DTV sell those things and how much will they cost me?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#203 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I've just recently gotten my HR34 so I don't know if this issue was present in previous software versions. The ipad app correctly lists the 34 when all are on my home network, however the "Currently Watching" column only displays the channel that the 34 is tuned to when the device is on ( out of standby ). If I turn it off ( or standby, whichever is the correct term ) the "Currently Watching" column just shows updating but never gets the channel. As soon as I turn the 34 on the app then will capture the channel. My other dvr an HR21 which is also on the network in another room always shows the channel it's tuned to whether on or off. The dvr that the 34 replaced, another 21, would also always display the current channel in the app whether on or off.

With the 34 is this a known or expected behavior?

#204 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I had gotten the impression that wifi was built-in to the HR34. I just tried connecting to my wifi and discovered that I'll need an adaptor. Does DTV sell those things and how much will they cost me?

You need DECA with the HR-34 as it doesn't have a Ethernet jack. I don't think you can add Wi-Fi to it.

You must have at least SWiM now or otherwise the HR34 wouldn't work. Just add DECA.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#205 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

The HR34 does indeed have an Ethernet jack.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#206 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

You need DECA with the HR-34 as it doesn't have a Ethernet jack. I don't think you can add Wi-Fi to it.

You must have at least SWiM now or otherwise the HR34 wouldn't work. Just add DECA.

Uh...what is DECA?

Yes it does, but ethernet is nowhere near my HR34.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#207 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ok, I see this over at Solid Signal:
http://www.solidsign...rce=google_base

But it's $70. I wonder if I can get DTV to provide it?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#208 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Ok, I see this over at Solid Signal:
http://www.solidsign...rce=google_base

But it's $70. I wonder if I can get DTV to provide it?

The only way to know is to call and ask. They should have made sure your HR34 was hooked up to the Internet when they did the install.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#209 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

The only way to know is to call and ask. They should have made sure your HR34 was hooked up to the Internet when they did the install.

I see that now, but the installer, once he got the HR34 working was out like a flash.

What additional functionality do I get with wifi connected? Do I need that for using the ipad app? For remotely programming the DVR?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#210 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I see that now, but the installer, once he got the HR34 working was out like a flash.

What additional functionality do I get with wifi connected? Do I need that for using the ipad app? For remotely programming the DVR?

You'll need it for the iPad app, remote scheduling and DirecTV On Demand as well as TV Apps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#211 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I thought it didn't but was afraid I might be wrong in this. Thanks for the correction, TMan. :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#212 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,446 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

I've just recently gotten my HR34 so I don't know if this issue was present in previous software versions. The ipad app correctly lists the 34 when all are on my home network, however the "Currently Watching" column only displays the channel that the 34 is tuned to when the device is on ( out of standby ). If I turn it off ( or standby, whichever is the correct term ) the "Currently Watching" column just shows updating but never gets the channel. As soon as I turn the 34 on the app then will capture the channel. My other dvr an HR21 which is also on the network in another room always shows the channel it's tuned to whether on or off. The dvr that the 34 replaced, another 21, would also always display the current channel in the app whether on or off.

With the 34 is this a known or expected behavior?

That is expected behavior. When the HR34 is off, its not necessarily buffering any channels, where as the hr2xs are always buffering the foreground tuner. This is because all five tuners can be used for anything, and is not at all designed to have a tuner stuck doing any one job ever.

#213 OFFLINE   Caromsoft

Caromsoft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware problem. Having a couple issues with recorded shows.

1. will be watching a show, and will skip through the commercial the picture will freeze and not start up again, exit the show, resume and still frozen.

2. will be watching a live show then decide to go to a recorded on, once I select the show and hit play, I see a frozen image of the live show and the recording never starts.

When either happens I have done a RBR and a menu restart and nothing allows me to continue watching the shows, can only delete them.

Not done a surface test becasue I really can;t recall the key sequence to get the test menu up. Wondering if I should just call it in to Directtv. I have the protection plan.

I have had this happen as well on several shows. I am not 100 percent sure but it seems to happen mostly on CBS shows. I have noticed because I am not able to get the missing shows from On Demand.

#214 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have had this happen as well on several shows. I am not 100 percent sure but it seems to happen mostly on CBS shows. I have noticed because I am not able to get the missing shows from On Demand.

been on various channels - USA (242), cartoon network, have not had any problems with cbs though - I am a NCIS fanatic for I record off both cbs and usa for the older marathons

#215 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I thought it didn't but was afraid I might be wrong in this. Thanks for the correction, TMan. :)

My installer connected my HR34 to my Ethernet network despite having a wired DECA putting Internet access on the coax network elsewhere in my house. I soon learned here on this forum that you're not to do both, so I disconnected the Ethernet cable. It seems I could have let the HR34 be the DECA bridge, but that is apparently "unsupported," so I left the wired DECA in place in my basement at the splitter.

#216 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

About six days ago my HR23 and HR24 got new software. Guess what? No infernal TO RECORD THIS VIDEO prompt when I change channels, the highlight doesn't jump off to the left of the screen to cover the CHANNEL INFO when I scroll down through the guide, and no white triangles. Also, my HR23 and 24 continue to properly auto-backspace after FFWD > PLAY. My particular HR34 does not auto-backspace nearly enough to compensate fro my reaction time, Jonathan Quick-like as it is. Please, oh please DTV, make the next software for the HR34 like the latest software for my HR23 and 24. The white triangles I can live with. Thanks!

#217 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

The Minneapolis snow storm last weekend caked my dish with heavy snow. Had no signal for ~24 hours. Took both my dish heater and several hours of sun to melt it off.

Neither my HR34 or HR24 recovered automatically. Both had to be rebooted.

Of course this is nothing new. How hard could it be for receivers to automatically recover when signal returns????

#218 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Minneapolis snow storm last weekend caked my dish with heavy snow. Had no signal for ~24 hours. Took both my dish heater and several hours of sun to melt it off.

Neither my HR34 or HR24 recovered automatically. Both had to be rebooted.

Of course this is nothing new. How hard could it be for receivers to automatically recover when signal returns????

I haven't had a satellite dish long enough to get snow on it, but your remark raises a question for me: would you have had the problem of needing to reboot your equipment immediately after the accumulated snow was thick enough to mess up the signal even if you could have brushed it off right away, or was it the length of time the signal was lost that made them mad?

#219 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

The Tim Allen movie "The Santa Clause" was on last night. I believe it was on 311. I set the movie to record and got a message that said something to the effect that the movie was already recorded and was now available via the playlist.

Apparently this was a movie already recorded by the Genie or was preloaded PPV (there is little, if any distinction). The problem is, instead of it recording the free movie on 311, what was moved to the playlist is a PPV costing $3.99.

Genie, or whatever function loaded the $3.99 version instead of recording the free movie needs to be able to differentiate the two and at least give the option as to what the DVR should record and/or move to the playlist.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#220 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

The Tim Allen movie "The Santa Clause" was on last night. I believe it was on 311. I set the movie to record and got a message that said something to the effect that the movie was already recorded and was now available via the playlist.

Apparently this was a movie already recorded by the Genie or was preloaded PPV (there is little, if any distinction). The problem is, instead of it recording the free movie on 311, what was moved to the playlist is a PPV costing $3.99.

Genie, or whatever function loaded the $3.99 version instead of recording the free movie needs to be able to differentiate the two and at least give the option as to what the DVR should record and/or move to the playlist.

I don't know whether to ROTFLMAO or cry.

Sure enough; go to their web page and search "The Santa Clause". Click on it and it shows "Watch on TV" on channel 311 (ABC FamilyHD). And it says "Other ways to watch: On Demand"... for $3.99.

Hopefully that is acknowledged as a bug and not just another scam to make a buck.

I just do a :nono2: every time I scroll past the PPVs and see all these ancient (1994 for that one!) things they think someone will pay for.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...