Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I haven't had a satellite dish long enough to get snow on it, but your remark raises a question for me: would you have had the problem of needing to reboot your equipment immediately after the accumulated snow was thick enough to mess up the signal even if you could have brushed it off right away, or was it the length of time the signal was lost that made them mad?

No idea.

My OTA (AM21N on HR34) and previous recordings worked on my C31 but were a bit problematic. Periodic freeze problems requiring a channel change or exit to come out of it. Sometimes audio dropped out - returned by pausing/unpausing.

Two sat recordings, Dexter and Homeland, didn't record of course. Don't know if they would have eventually been rescheduled. I added another showing explicitly so as not to miss them.

As a retired software engineer... I would expect this to have been a standard test case all along and a mature product like this should have automatically recovered 100%. The crap they consider good enough these days is just shocking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

The Minneapolis snow storm last weekend caked my dish with heavy snow. Had no signal for ~24 hours. Took both my dish heater and several hours of sun to melt it off.

Neither my HR34 or HR24 recovered automatically. Both had to be rebooted.

Of course this is nothing new. How hard could it be for receivers to automatically recover when signal returns????

I put my dish where one can get to it since I live in an area that does get snow - even though we get 300 days of sun here in the foothills. I've only had to brush it off twice since 96'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

#223 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I put my dish where one can get to it since I live in an area that does get snow - even though we get 300 days of sun here in the foothills. I've only had to brush it off twice since 96'

Not an option for me due to trees. I used to have mine about that high but had to go up.

#224 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

The Minneapolis snow storm last weekend caked my dish with heavy snow. Had no signal for ~24 hours. Took both my dish heater and several hours of sun to melt it off.

Neither my HR34 or HR24 recovered automatically. Both had to be rebooted.

Of course this is nothing new. How hard could it be for receivers to automatically recover when signal returns????

It takes longer for the HR24 to become "confused" with no signal than it does for the HR34. We have to set up the dish every time we move our home (full time travelers). If I take too long to get signal, the HR34 reboots itself and I have to wait and wait for it to boot so I can begin to align once more. Sometimes it takes three of four reboots before I can dial in the signal. Truly a pain. And for whatever reason our HR34 does not have a tone which would help. Both of the Genies installed in our kids homes while we were there have a tone on the signal strength bars. Darned if I can get a tone.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#225 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

All of my DVRs, including my HR34, came back fine after not having signal for nearly 24 hours because of the same storm. No reboots necessary.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#226 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I posted this in a separate thread but someone else suggested posting it here in case it could be related to the current software.I've only had the 34 for about a week and just rented a PPV for the first time, the Bourne Legacy. When the movie started the audio was fine but the video played almost like it was speeded up somehow. At first I thought it was just a special effect for the opening scene but the whole movie was playing that way. It was so unusual that it actually made me feel somewhat nauseous. Finally I decided to stop the movie and restart the receiver just to see if it would help. After the receiver came back to live tv I resumed the movie and it had fixed the video. The movie then continued to play normally.

I've since rented another 1080P movie to see whether the issue would repeat itself. The movie played perfectly, no issue. I've rented many 1080P movies in the past on my prior boxes and never had such a problem. I don't believe this is a 1080P issue but an HR34 issue. Anyway a restart fixed the first movie and prevented any issues with the subsequent movie. Hopefully that continues but if anyone else sees the issue try a restart.

#227 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I am getting really tired of not having a buffer that works anymore (at least the way I always could depend on it working on my HR20-100). I can never depend on there being one when I come out from watching a recorded show anymore. I can never depend on it recording what it SAYS it has in the buffer by just pushing record. I can never actually go back to the beginning and watch what it SAYS it has bufferred, without having a frozen screen somewhere along the line. Last night the most I could get out of the buffer was maybe 15 mins. The rest was always just a frozen screenshot of whatever you last had on the screen (including having the final screenshot carried over of what I had just got through deleting). There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason for it one time being there, and the next time not. What's the point of even having a buffer, if it's not going to work right? :mad:
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#228 OFFLINE   DolfanBob

DolfanBob

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

We are a retailer who got the HR34 before it was released to the public and before being renamed the Genie. This unit has some issues that I have just ignored because it is a showroom unit.
When I try and rewind a live program back to a spot on a movie or live broadcast. It will rewind back about 2 to 5 minutes and freeze while the minute locator bar at the bottom continues backwards. When I push the play button. The screen still stays frozen and the indicator bar starts moving forward as usual. It will not rewind and play as it should.
Also when you use the guide. The pay per view banners above HBO do not show up and you have a large section of the guide screen that is just black. No info for anything.
Any thoughts on these issues?

#229 OFFLINE   ghardenb

ghardenb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have the jack on the rear panel, marked "ir receive". Is this active? If I plug an ir receiver into it and it works, will the front panel ir target still be active as well? I've seen an 1r receiver on Amazon for 15.00. Can anyone suggest one that they know will work on the hr34?

#230 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Searched for this - found nada; so -

Last night I started watching a show while it was recording. 20 minutes in. Decided to alter series settings to start 1 minute early because of the usual station jerking us around on start time. Didn't pay attention to record light - who knew? - but when I reached minute 20, I was asked if I wanted to delete - and realized I only had a partial, the episode stopped recording when I changed the series setting!

Got to watch the final 20 minutes live.

To check this, I went to settings for the following show - accessing settings from the ToDo menu - changed start to 1 minute early and when I returned to the ToDo menu, the episode had been removed from the list, the record icon was missing from the Guide.

Not smart coding.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 17 December 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#231 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Why would you attempt to change the start time of a program already underway?

I know it builds in an automatic prepad anyway if a tuner is available before the scheduled start, but it wouldn't be able to retroactively grab any more than that amount, right?

The error you described with the next program is more troublesome, though.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#232 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Searched for this - found nada; so -

Last night I started watching a show while it was recording. 20 minutes in. Decided to alter settings to start 1 minute early because of the usual station jerking us around on start time. Didn't pay attention to record light - who knew? - but when I reached minute 20, I was asked if I wanted to delete - and realized I only had a partial, the episode stopped recording when I changed the series setting!

Got to watch the final 20 minutes live.

To check this, I went to settings for the following show - accessing settings from the ToDo menu - changed start to 1 minute early and when I returned to the ToDo menu, the episode had been removed from the list, the record icon was missing from the Guide.

Not smart coding.

Really? You think they coded it that way on purpose? That has all the hallmarks of a bug if you ask me.

#233 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

We are a retailer who got the HR34 before it was released to the public and before being renamed the Genie. This unit has some issues that I have just ignored because it is a showroom unit.
When I try and rewind a live program back to a spot on a movie or live broadcast. It will rewind back about 2 to 5 minutes and freeze while the minute locator bar at the bottom continues backwards. When I push the play button. The screen still stays frozen and the indicator bar starts moving forward as usual. It will not rewind and play as it should.
Also when you use the guide. The pay per view banners above HBO do not show up and you have a large section of the guide screen that is just black. No info for anything.
Any thoughts on these issues?

I am getting really tired of not having a buffer that works anymore (at least the way I always could depend on it working on my HR20-100). I can never depend on there being one when I come out from watching a recorded show anymore. I can never depend on it recording what it SAYS it has in the buffer by just pushing record. I can never actually go back to the beginning and watch what it SAYS it has bufferred, without having a frozen screen somewhere along the line. Last night the most I could get out of the buffer was maybe 15 mins. The rest was always just a frozen screenshot of whatever you last had on the screen (including having the final screenshot carried over of what I had just got through deleting). There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason for it one time being there, and the next time not. What's the point of even having a buffer, if it's not going to work right? :mad:

I'd suggest both you guys do two menu restarts back to back and flush your guide data. Buffers will not always be there out of stand by and such, and if other things need the tuners and such, but that sounds like more than that. And if your missing info in the guide, flushing all guide data will force it to reload everything.

#234 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I had mine for a week now, when I went to playlist last night nothing came up. But I can switch over to my hr22 and watch a program from the Hr34. I sure thought before pushing these out to the masses they would have alot of bugs worked out.

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#235 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I had mine for a week now, when I went to playlist last night nothing came up. But I can switch over to my hr22 and watch a program from the Hr34. I sure thought before pushing these out to the masses they would have alot of bugs worked out.

That is a very very rare bug that I to have seen. But it doesn't seem to hit very often. Assuming you left the play list on screen for ten minuets and never saw it populate, a simple menu reboot will get it back most likely.

#236 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

DTV DVRs are an entomologists dream. Bugs everywhere.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#237 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

The HR34's ethernet port works better than a CCK or DECA.
The tech that installed mine stated that is the way they are being trained now. Lan cable into the HR34's ethernet.

Absolutely no issues here. Total connectivity. internet on every tv.

My installer connected my HR34 to my Ethernet network despite having a wired DECA putting Internet access on the coax network elsewhere in my house. I soon learned here on this forum that you're not to do both, so I disconnected the Ethernet cable. It seems I could have let the HR34 be the DECA bridge, but that is apparently "unsupported," so I left the wired DECA in place in my basement at the splitter.

#238 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

The HR34's ethernet port works better than a CCK or DECA.
The tech that installed mine stated that is the way they are being trained now. Lan cable into the HR34's ethernet.

Absolutely no issues here. Total connectivity. internet on every tv.

Don't quite see how it works "better" since my CCK has been flawless. But it is cleaner looking, granted. You can have DECA while using the 34's ethernet port to, uh, port the internet onto the DECA cloud.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#239 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I too have often had my buffer (green line) disappear after coming back to the tuner after looking at a recording. Worse, once I came back to a recording (orange line) from the tuner and it, the orange line recording, had been deleted.

BTW: since the latest software was downloaded to my particular HR34 on October 31, my HR34 has frozen 14 times. 10 times waiting for a few minutes unfroze it. 4 times I had to reboot. Surprisingly, after rebooting those 4 times, the complete two week GUIDE was already all the way reloaded.

#240 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I too have often had my buffer (green line) disappear after coming back to the tuner after looking at a recording. Worse, once I came back to a recording (orange line) from the tuner and it, the orange line recording, had been deleted.

BTW: since the latest software was downloaded to my particular HR34 on October 31, my HR34 has frozen 14 times. 10 times waiting for a few minutes unfroze it. 4 times I had to reboot. Surprisingly, after rebooting those 4 times, the complete two week GUIDE was already all the way reloaded.

In the one with the recording, where you able to go into the playlist and play the entire recording from there?

And unless you do two resets in a row, it won't flush the guide data. Basically, as soon as it get back up and running after the first one, you have to do the second one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...