Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

As a five-day user of the HR34, is there an obvious way to recognize whether the unit has received a software upgrade without delving into menus and looking at hexidecimal version numbers?

I rebooted mine the first night, and it obviously performed a software update because it said it was doing so, but I don't know how it indicates this when initiating one on its own.

The quickest way to check when you received an update, is to press and hold the [Info] button on the remote. It will bring up the screen with the hexadecimal # you don't like, but you can look at the date and time right next to that.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Okay, so certain user customizations will revert to default after upgrades.

Oh, a long press of Info gets you there? That is acceptable. No menu digging required.

#23 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Be aware though, that if you happen to be on a channel that allows you to press the RED button (TWC, ESPN e.g.), pressing and holding the INFO button won't work.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#24 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Only real way is to turn off the front panel lights.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but how do you turn off the front panel lights on the HR34?

TIA

Steve
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#25 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack, but how do you turn off the front panel lights on the HR34?

TIA

Steve

I assume there is an option buried in a menu somewhere, but I haven't discovered that one yet in my brief ownership time.

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

TIA

Steve

Hold down the left arror and then press the right arrow twice to turn them off.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#27 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Be aware though, that if you happen to be on a channel that allows you to press the RED button (TWC, ESPN e.g.), pressing and holding the INFO button won't work.

On those channels, you have to press [Exit], then hold [Info] to bring up the last update info.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#28 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

While watching a recorded show, a message popped up saying it had to record a show at the top of the hour.

BTW, I've never turned on Genie. I'm used to seeing this message when watching live TV with Double Play turned on but never before while watching a recorded show!

#29 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

There are annoying bugs still with the HR34! My WAF is plummeting. In fact she was longing for the HR20 that I "upgraded" away from.

#30 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Despite the fact that I'm not sure why you would want to have the same channel in the PIP, I was curious. When I tried this, it did freeze when I selected a channel that was currently recording. When I swapped it, the PIP then worked fine, no freeze. Swap it back and it would freeze again. When I did the same test with a channel that wasn't recording, the PIP did not freeze at all.

Here's why, it is accidental rather than intentional.

When watching NFL ST I place all active games in a custom menu.
I generally watch one game full window and one in the PIP. When one of the game goes to commercial I channel up to the next game. The main window and PIP is usually separated by a few channels but if I accidentally select the same one, TA DA, lockup.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#31 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Received this message flashing on the screen several times while watching live TV last night. Signal was never interrupted. Genie is off. Weather was clear.
HMC since 4/3/2012

#32 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Was flipping back and forth between recordings and LIVE TV last night. Had a buffer twice while doing this. Next time gone. I guess I'm going to have to record LIVE TV from now on if I want to be able to do this anymore.
HMC since 4/3/2012

#33 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Had 2 shows recording @ 9pm CDT Wed evening. Had looked @ the To Do list and noticed that The Soup was not scheduled to record until last night @ 7pm. Not sure why with 5 tuners, it would think it needed to bump this from 9pm Wed. I've never activated Genie.
HMC since 4/3/2012

#34 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Continued, persistent Whole Home issues still. I still cannot see other networked DVRs, HR24s, from the HR34 and vice versa. It has been this way for the last 5 or 6 firmware updates and persists through this one. Bitterly frustrating...

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Continued, persistent Whole Home issues still. I still cannot see other networked DVRs, HR24s, from the HR34 and vice versa. It has been this way for the last 5 or 6 firmware updates and persists through this one. Bitterly frustrating...

Have you tried fixed IPs on the units? Swapped locations for the "bad" unit to check if it's the connections?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Recording Tips still randomly populating even though they are shut off.

Doubleplay for me still is not working. Worked for a week then it stopped. With this update made no difference. I tried an RBR and tried down arrow on dvr itself. I just get message to hit down arrow again to start it but when I do the message disappears but does not go to other tuner...and I have 4 more of them!!

Problems too numerous to mention...reminder of HR20 hell back in 2006-2009.

Genie not ready for primetime...may have to be returned...so sad.

Anyone who buys a lemon at a store returns it within 30 days so I am giving them 30 days to get it right...seems only fair. If a magic pill (software updates) didn't exist I would have this dvr returned right away.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

#37 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

One issue I am experiencing is that the screensaver randomly pops up while watching live tv but while I am watching recording unless it is paused

#38 ONLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

+1. Was watching Fringe live last nite and it pop'd up twice. That was the only time and also a first for my 34.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#39 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Do you have to have the Whole house system installed for this receiver to work?
I just want to be able to record 5 shows with pip on the main TV.I called DTV and they said i had to have the other kit installed for it to work?I have the swm dish now so it should not need all the extras to work,right?
Thanks

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Do you have to have the Whole house system installed for this receiver to work?
I just want to be able to record 5 shows with pip on the main TV.I called DTV and they said i had to have the other kit installed for it to work?I have the swm dish now so it should not need all the extras to work,right?
Thanks

It will work with an SWM dish without whole home. You can plug an internet cable directly from the router to the HR34 for downloading video on demand if you wish.
The only caveat is if you have other receivers, you need to have less than 4 total tuners now for the HR34 to work without upgrading the dish as you need 5 unused SWM channels for it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...