Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

+1. Was watching Fringe live last nite and it pop'd up twice. That was the only time and also a first for my 34.

I have seen this with Genie turned on, with the first Genie release, it seems this is still a problem. I turned off Genie, since its original release, because it seem to make things more unstable. If you have just turned on Genie, it may be taking over all 5 tuners to do what it does, ignoring the fact that you are watching TV.

As for things I have seen so far with this release; audio dropouts over HDMI. Seems like this is a recurring problem. Easily fixed by stopping and restarting the recording, or change the channel back and forth on live TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have a swm switch box attached to my older style dish with the 4 dish inputs connected to the swm.Do i need a 8 way swm for this to work them?I think so or should i jst get a new swm dish complete setup that will do the 5 and 3?
Thanks

#43 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

can you add 2 swm 4 way splitters together to make 8?

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I have a swm switch box attached to my older style dish with the 4 dish inputs connected to the swm.Do i need a 8 way swm for this to work them?I think so or should i jst get a new swm dish complete setup that will do the 5 and 3?
Thanks

If you have an SWM8 multiswitch (4 wires from dish, one out to receivers/splitter) then you are still limited to 8 total tuners. To get 16, you need to upgrade to an SWM16.

If you have just 1 wire from dish, you will need a new LNB and a SWM16 to have more than 8 tuners.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

The little white triangles are still not there in the playlist.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#46 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Recording Tips still randomly populating even though they are shut off.

Doubleplay for me still is not working. Worked for a week then it stopped. With this update made no difference. I tried an RBR and tried down arrow on dvr itself. I just get message to hit down arrow again to start it but when I do the message disappears but does not go to other tuner...and I have 4 more of them!!...

I had that issue with the last release, but its working good on the current release. Is your DVR full? Is this happening when you have several things recording at the same time?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Continued, persistent Whole Home issues still. I still cannot see other networked DVRs, HR24s, from the HR34 and vice versa. It has been this way for the last 5 or 6 firmware updates and persists through this one. Bitterly frustrating...

Have you done a menu reset since the latest update? If not, try that first.

#48 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Have you tried fixed IPs on the units? Swapped locations for the "bad" unit to check if it's the connections?

Yes. They are all on fixed IPs, no luck. They were working fine, until they weren't. Sometime about 4 months ago DTV broke whole Home functionality for my HR34 with a firmware update, and its been broke since. The HR24s can all see and play each others recordings, but the HR34 no longer can. Every time I call about it they act like they are well aware of the issue and claim that they are working on it. Utterly frustrating.

#49 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Have you done a menu reset since the latest update? If not, try that first.

Yes. Resets and RBR's do nothing.

#50 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

I lost all my SD channels again, with native turned on. Turning it off gets them back.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yes. They are all on fixed IPs, no luck. They were working fine, until they weren't. Sometime about 4 months ago DTV broke whole Home functionality for my HR34 with a firmware update, and its been broke since. The HR24s can all see and play each others recordings, but the HR34 no longer can. Every time I call about it they act like they are well aware of the issue and claim that they are working on it. Utterly frustrating.

Sounds like you may have a bad unit. My HR34 hasn't lost MRV in quite a long time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes. Resets and RBR's do nothing.

How exactly is your system wired? And how is your system connected to the Internet? Is it with a separate bbdeca unit, or are you using the HR34 to bridge the network? Is everything else on deca?

Also, do you use pandora or on demand?

I have a couple different suggestions you could try based on those answers just to see if you cold get it back.

#53 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Perhaps some of you have had some of these problems, perhaps not. Anyway here goes.

1. Since 0x5d3 downloaded, my HR34 has frozen-up 5 times. It usually fixed itself after approximately a 3 to 5 minute wait.

2. The infernal TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt still appears when I change channels. I say this prompt should not appear when the RECORDING TIPS is turned off. Equally as annoying, the TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt appears when I play a previously recorded video!

3. Unlike my HR23 and HR24, the HR34 still does not properly AUTO-REWIND when I go from FFWD to PLAY. Sometimes it does AUTO-REWIND a little bit, but not nearly enough to compensate for my reaction time. MY HR23 and HR24 both AUTO-REWIND a reasonable amount to restart the video at a point several seconds before when I pressed PLAY.

4. Oftentimes when I go to the FFWD mode, the picture will freeze while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture.

5. Sometimes when I an in the FFWD mode and I press PLAY, nothing happens. In other words, the HR34 will simply keep on fast forwarding. Oftentimes I have to press PLAY as many as 5 times to get the HR34 to back to PLAY from FFWD.

6. I, like others have noted, get a message saying a program is recording when it is not. For example, when I try to delete a program on my TO DO list that is scheduled way in advance, I get the message.

7. For the life of me I can't figure out why when I am scrolling down through the GUIDE, the highlight will jump from the program area off to the left and highlight the station info. BTW: those white triangles don't mean a thing. Most if not all of the stations without the white triangle still yield a list of their up and coming programs.

8. Oftentimes when I use FFWD speed setting 4 to get to the end of a recorded video, when the HR34 gets to the end of the video, nothing happens. In other words, the dialog box asking me if I want to keep or delete the video does not appear.

9. Sometimes when I key in a new channel number, the new number will appear on the screen, but the HR34 doesn't switch to the new channel. Sometime I have to key in the new number as may as three times before the HR34 switches to the new channel.

10. I find that my particular HR34 is still oftentimes very sluggish to respond to commands from the remote. I am sick and tired of pressing a function button on the remote and have nothing happen, or have what is supposed to happen actually happen 1,2,3,4,5 seconds later. I wish my HR34 worked as well as my 1977 Apple II.

#54 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

All the same as jibberykibber but I never use FF or REW unless I want to do the fifteen minute skip. Since the new software that is now unreliable and sometimes it jumps 15 sometimes it does not. My wife uses FF and it wouldn't matter how the backspace or whatever works as she never gets synched with the program and key presses. Sometimes she is minutes ahead. I only use 30 skip and replay so it is a lot less fuss when I do it.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Perhaps some of you have had some of these problems, perhaps not. Anyway here goes.

1. Since 0x5d3 downloaded, my HR34 has frozen-up 5 times. It usually fixed itself after approximately a 3 to 5 minute wait.

2. The infernal TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt still appears when I change channels. I say this prompt should not appear when the RECORDING TIPS is turned off. Equally as annoying, the TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt appears when I play a previously recorded video!

Try going into settings and turning tips in. Exit out, scroll through the guide a bit, and then go back in and set recordings tips back to off. See if that turns them off.

3. Unlike my HR23 and HR24, the HR34 still does not properly AUTO-REWIND when I go from FFWD to PLAY. Sometimes it does AUTO-REWIND a little bit, but not nearly enough to compensate for my reaction time. MY HR23 and HR24 both AUTO-REWIND a reasonable amount to restart the video at a point several seconds before when I pressed PLAY.

4. Oftentimes when I go to the FFWD mode, the picture will freeze while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture.

5. Sometimes when I an in the FFWD mode and I press PLAY, nothing happens. In other words, the HR34 will simply keep on fast forwarding. Oftentimes I have to press PLAY as many as 5 times to get the HR34 to back to PLAY from FFWD.

6. I, like others have noted, get a message saying a program is recording when it is not. For example, when I try to delete a program on my TO DO list that is scheduled way in advance, I get the message.

This is a very week known bug. Just say yes cancel, and it will work out fine. They will get that fixed, hopefully with the next release.

7. For the life of me I can't figure out why when I am scrolling down through the GUIDE, the highlight will jump from the program area off to the left and highlight the station info. BTW: those white triangles don't mean a thing. Most if not all of the stations without the white triangle still yield a list of their up and coming programs.

Those triangle do mean something... Just not what you seem to think they mean. You can hit info on any channel and get the list of programs. That's been there on every receiver from day one. The triangles denote stations that are also available on demand and if you hit info, you should see an option on the right to select its on demand channel and see its on demand content.

This is also especially important now, as on many sd only channels, the on demand channels now have hd content.

8. Oftentimes when I use FFWD speed setting 4 to get to the end of a recorded video, when the HR34 gets to the end of the video, nothing happens. In other words, the dialog box asking me if I want to keep or delete the video does not appear.

Yep, seen that plenty. It seems to happen on ffwd 4 mostly, I just hit play, and then ffwd or skip and it will then get to the end and pop up.

9. Sometimes when I key in a new channel number, the new number will appear on the screen, but the HR34 doesn't switch to the new channel. Sometime I have to key in the new number as may as three times before the HR34 switches to the new channel.

I haven't seen that, but instead of keying it in multiple times, after you key it in the first time, hit the enter key. Not select, enter. It should tune immediately.

10. I find that my particular HR34 is still oftentimes very sluggish to respond to commands from the remote. I am sick and tired of pressing a function button on the remote and have nothing happen, or have what is supposed to happen actually happen 1,2,3,4,5 seconds later. I wish my HR34 worked as well as my 1977 Apple II.

I have seen some of the issues you have, and noted a few things in red above.

You seem to have a few more bugs that I have never seen though, and I wonder if maybe a guide flush might help, if you haven't tried that before. To do that, do a simple menu restart and then as soon as you are back up and running, do it again. that flushes all guide data and it will repopulate from scratch.

Also, any chance you have a second remote you could try? Maybe swap it with another receivers remote. Some of your issues almost sound remote related.

Edited by inkahauts, 04 November 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I hade my HR34 Genie installation yesterday. Love it. The only quirk I've found is that if you try and delete a recording that is set up days in the future, the device thinks it's recording now, and asks if you still want to delete it. But if I delete a show that is actually currently recording, it just does it without question.

Love the box though.

#57 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

All of Jibbers list, PLUS Live tv being paused, not starting up again.... need to switch channels then back... Ive had the unit for 2 plus weeks now and this issue is increasing day after day... i cant begin to tell you how many resets i have done. oh another issue that began a few days ago, shows a show that is recording, visible sign at the top of it recording, yet never recorded..... I'm ready to throw this damn thing off a cliff.

Edited by Datagg, 04 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

All of Jibbers list, PLUS Live tv being paused, not starting up again.... need to switch channels then back... Ive had the unit for 2 plus weeks now and this issue is increasing day after day... i cant begin to tell you how many resets i have done. oh another issue that began a few days ago, shows a show that is recording, visible sign at the top of it recording, yet never recorded..... I'm ready to throw this damn thing off a cliff.

Have you done two menu resets in a row right after it comes back online?

#59 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Have you done two menu resets in a row right after it comes back online?

I did the first time, then the second time.. thought it helped, yet today it did it again...Its so random when it occurs, it could be a 5 second pause, to an hour... sometimes i can press play and it will begin other times not. a rewind to the beginning of pause to play doesn't help either, its like it just loses what it did, yet keeps the picture there yet wont start up.. insane....

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

I did the first time, then the second time.. thought it helped, yet today it did it again...Its so random when it occurs, it could be a 5 second pause, to an hour... sometimes i can press play and it will begin other times not. a rewind to the beginning of pause to play doesn't help either, its like it just loses what it did, yet keeps the picture there yet wont start up.. insane....

Sounds like a bad unit to me. Have you called DirecTV and have them send out a tech?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall