Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yes. They are all on fixed IPs, no luck. They were working fine, until they weren't. Sometime about 4 months ago DTV broke whole Home functionality for my HR34 with a firmware update, and its been broke since. The HR24s can all see and play each others recordings, but the HR34 no longer can. Every time I call about it they act like they are well aware of the issue and claim that they are working on it. Utterly frustrating.

Sounds like you may have a bad unit. My HR34 hasn't lost MRV in quite a long time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes. Resets and RBR's do nothing.

How exactly is your system wired? And how is your system connected to the Internet? Is it with a separate bbdeca unit, or are you using the HR34 to bridge the network? Is everything else on deca?

Also, do you use pandora or on demand?

I have a couple different suggestions you could try based on those answers just to see if you cold get it back.

#53 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Perhaps some of you have had some of these problems, perhaps not. Anyway here goes.

1. Since 0x5d3 downloaded, my HR34 has frozen-up 5 times. It usually fixed itself after approximately a 3 to 5 minute wait.

2. The infernal TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt still appears when I change channels. I say this prompt should not appear when the RECORDING TIPS is turned off. Equally as annoying, the TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt appears when I play a previously recorded video!

3. Unlike my HR23 and HR24, the HR34 still does not properly AUTO-REWIND when I go from FFWD to PLAY. Sometimes it does AUTO-REWIND a little bit, but not nearly enough to compensate for my reaction time. MY HR23 and HR24 both AUTO-REWIND a reasonable amount to restart the video at a point several seconds before when I pressed PLAY.

4. Oftentimes when I go to the FFWD mode, the picture will freeze while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture.

5. Sometimes when I an in the FFWD mode and I press PLAY, nothing happens. In other words, the HR34 will simply keep on fast forwarding. Oftentimes I have to press PLAY as many as 5 times to get the HR34 to back to PLAY from FFWD.

6. I, like others have noted, get a message saying a program is recording when it is not. For example, when I try to delete a program on my TO DO list that is scheduled way in advance, I get the message.

7. For the life of me I can't figure out why when I am scrolling down through the GUIDE, the highlight will jump from the program area off to the left and highlight the station info. BTW: those white triangles don't mean a thing. Most if not all of the stations without the white triangle still yield a list of their up and coming programs.

8. Oftentimes when I use FFWD speed setting 4 to get to the end of a recorded video, when the HR34 gets to the end of the video, nothing happens. In other words, the dialog box asking me if I want to keep or delete the video does not appear.

9. Sometimes when I key in a new channel number, the new number will appear on the screen, but the HR34 doesn't switch to the new channel. Sometime I have to key in the new number as may as three times before the HR34 switches to the new channel.

10. I find that my particular HR34 is still oftentimes very sluggish to respond to commands from the remote. I am sick and tired of pressing a function button on the remote and have nothing happen, or have what is supposed to happen actually happen 1,2,3,4,5 seconds later. I wish my HR34 worked as well as my 1977 Apple II.

#54 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

All the same as jibberykibber but I never use FF or REW unless I want to do the fifteen minute skip. Since the new software that is now unreliable and sometimes it jumps 15 sometimes it does not. My wife uses FF and it wouldn't matter how the backspace or whatever works as she never gets synched with the program and key presses. Sometimes she is minutes ahead. I only use 30 skip and replay so it is a lot less fuss when I do it.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Perhaps some of you have had some of these problems, perhaps not. Anyway here goes.

1. Since 0x5d3 downloaded, my HR34 has frozen-up 5 times. It usually fixed itself after approximately a 3 to 5 minute wait.

2. The infernal TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt still appears when I change channels. I say this prompt should not appear when the RECORDING TIPS is turned off. Equally as annoying, the TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt appears when I play a previously recorded video!

Try going into settings and turning tips in. Exit out, scroll through the guide a bit, and then go back in and set recordings tips back to off. See if that turns them off.

3. Unlike my HR23 and HR24, the HR34 still does not properly AUTO-REWIND when I go from FFWD to PLAY. Sometimes it does AUTO-REWIND a little bit, but not nearly enough to compensate for my reaction time. MY HR23 and HR24 both AUTO-REWIND a reasonable amount to restart the video at a point several seconds before when I pressed PLAY.

4. Oftentimes when I go to the FFWD mode, the picture will freeze while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture.

5. Sometimes when I an in the FFWD mode and I press PLAY, nothing happens. In other words, the HR34 will simply keep on fast forwarding. Oftentimes I have to press PLAY as many as 5 times to get the HR34 to back to PLAY from FFWD.

6. I, like others have noted, get a message saying a program is recording when it is not. For example, when I try to delete a program on my TO DO list that is scheduled way in advance, I get the message.

This is a very week known bug. Just say yes cancel, and it will work out fine. They will get that fixed, hopefully with the next release.

7. For the life of me I can't figure out why when I am scrolling down through the GUIDE, the highlight will jump from the program area off to the left and highlight the station info. BTW: those white triangles don't mean a thing. Most if not all of the stations without the white triangle still yield a list of their up and coming programs.

Those triangle do mean something... Just not what you seem to think they mean. You can hit info on any channel and get the list of programs. That's been there on every receiver from day one. The triangles denote stations that are also available on demand and if you hit info, you should see an option on the right to select its on demand channel and see its on demand content.

This is also especially important now, as on many sd only channels, the on demand channels now have hd content.

8. Oftentimes when I use FFWD speed setting 4 to get to the end of a recorded video, when the HR34 gets to the end of the video, nothing happens. In other words, the dialog box asking me if I want to keep or delete the video does not appear.

Yep, seen that plenty. It seems to happen on ffwd 4 mostly, I just hit play, and then ffwd or skip and it will then get to the end and pop up.

9. Sometimes when I key in a new channel number, the new number will appear on the screen, but the HR34 doesn't switch to the new channel. Sometime I have to key in the new number as may as three times before the HR34 switches to the new channel.

I haven't seen that, but instead of keying it in multiple times, after you key it in the first time, hit the enter key. Not select, enter. It should tune immediately.

10. I find that my particular HR34 is still oftentimes very sluggish to respond to commands from the remote. I am sick and tired of pressing a function button on the remote and have nothing happen, or have what is supposed to happen actually happen 1,2,3,4,5 seconds later. I wish my HR34 worked as well as my 1977 Apple II.

I have seen some of the issues you have, and noted a few things in red above.

You seem to have a few more bugs that I have never seen though, and I wonder if maybe a guide flush might help, if you haven't tried that before. To do that, do a simple menu restart and then as soon as you are back up and running, do it again. that flushes all guide data and it will repopulate from scratch.

Also, any chance you have a second remote you could try? Maybe swap it with another receivers remote. Some of your issues almost sound remote related.

Edited by inkahauts, 04 November 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I hade my HR34 Genie installation yesterday. Love it. The only quirk I've found is that if you try and delete a recording that is set up days in the future, the device thinks it's recording now, and asks if you still want to delete it. But if I delete a show that is actually currently recording, it just does it without question.

Love the box though.

#57 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

All of Jibbers list, PLUS Live tv being paused, not starting up again.... need to switch channels then back... Ive had the unit for 2 plus weeks now and this issue is increasing day after day... i cant begin to tell you how many resets i have done. oh another issue that began a few days ago, shows a show that is recording, visible sign at the top of it recording, yet never recorded..... I'm ready to throw this damn thing off a cliff.

Edited by Datagg, 04 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

All of Jibbers list, PLUS Live tv being paused, not starting up again.... need to switch channels then back... Ive had the unit for 2 plus weeks now and this issue is increasing day after day... i cant begin to tell you how many resets i have done. oh another issue that began a few days ago, shows a show that is recording, visible sign at the top of it recording, yet never recorded..... I'm ready to throw this damn thing off a cliff.

Have you done two menu resets in a row right after it comes back online?

#59 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Have you done two menu resets in a row right after it comes back online?

I did the first time, then the second time.. thought it helped, yet today it did it again...Its so random when it occurs, it could be a 5 second pause, to an hour... sometimes i can press play and it will begin other times not. a rewind to the beginning of pause to play doesn't help either, its like it just loses what it did, yet keeps the picture there yet wont start up.. insane....

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

I did the first time, then the second time.. thought it helped, yet today it did it again...Its so random when it occurs, it could be a 5 second pause, to an hour... sometimes i can press play and it will begin other times not. a rewind to the beginning of pause to play doesn't help either, its like it just loses what it did, yet keeps the picture there yet wont start up.. insane....

Sounds like a bad unit to me. Have you called DirecTV and have them send out a tech?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#61 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Experiencing this with problem with both HR24 and HR21 using MRV:

When I select a program recorded on HR34 in Program List, no menu appears on far left (Play, Delete, etc.)... instead have black box where menu should be. Rebooted both HR24 and HR21, still continues. Reboot of HR34 needed to restore the menu.

Programs recorded on HR21 and HR24 were fine, only issue was with programs recorded on HR34.

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Almost sounds like a hard drive issue based on everything you have said. You don't have a esata hooked up do you?

#63 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like a bad unit to me. Have you called DirecTV and have them send out a tech?

Not as of yet.. but may have too.. Problem is its random so of course it wont do it for them. It was just a swap anyways, had H24 there before hand, deca setup also. no esata.

Maybe they would just send me a replacement box for a swap.

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like im gonna have to give DTV a call

#64 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 135 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Turned on my TV Saturday morning around 9:10 to find the buffer frozen @ 8:41. Was able to unstick it, but it froze again about 5mins later in the buffer. Got it to finally advance to real time but thought I'd see if I could play anything in the buffer. Rewound to the beginning and had a frozen screen of what was playing @ live, but the time would advance. Played around with it a little bit more and was able to get bits and pieces to play, but it would always hang at some point with a frozen screen. Would always seem to be able to get back to live tv ok, but even rewinding that a few minutes would hang again. Finally got tired of messing with it.

Also noticing that when in ff mode sometimes the time scroll reverses. It's not a smooth flow - more herky-jerky like.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#65 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 199 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Yesterday we had a small glitch with our HR34 - Girlfriend was watching DIY and the screen froze (appeared to be paused). She had to change the channel and come back to resume watching.

Other than that, I get the "delete recording" message for future recordings and the device is slow to respond at times.

For the most part, it works pretty well.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#66 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

When I go to cancel a future recording from the to-do list, it is still saying that it has a partial recording that must be deleted.

I'm having this issue too. Very annoying to have to go through the extra steps when you are deleting multiple items from the To-Do List!!!

#67 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I'm having this issue too. Very annoying to have to go through the extra steps when you are deleting multiple items from the To-Do List!!!

Know bug and a fix is being worked on.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#68 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Sounds like you may have a bad unit. My HR34 hasn't lost MRV in quite a long time.

Yes, I feel this is the case also. This despite DTV's attempts to convince me otherwise. I am going to see if they will replace my box...

Update: I just called and I am getting a replacement unit shipped. It was a hassle as they still told me the Whole Home problem is a "known issue", but I escalated and will receive a replacement box. Hopefully it will fix the issue. I am growing quite weary of the problem honestly ..

Edited by don s, 05 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

A whole new adventure now. After a few days absence, turned on the TV and the Genie said it was on 360 Fox. Picture was a Harry Potter movie and there was a dialogue box with a bunch of junk on how to order. Could not get it off that no matter what. Guide, tune nada, list tune nada, had to RBR it. Missed a lot of recordings. Momma will not be very happy.

#70 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

As a follow up, my replacement HR34 arrived today (exactly 1 day after I called, amazing). Though it's too soon to be sure, the new box appears to have no Whole Home issues at all. The problems may have been with the old receiver itself and not in the software, though that HW issue would have occurred a few months after it was working fine.

I remain cautious, as I was able to get intermittent remote connections occasionally with the old box so I will reserve final judgement for a few days. Still it is nice being able to use remote viewing of playlists from the HR34 again. Very happy I pulled the trigger on getting a replacement. Thanks for the hint RunnerFL !

#71 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

As a follow up, my replacement HR34 arrived today (exactly 1 day after I called, amazing). Though it's too soon to be sure, the new box appears to have no Whole Home issues at all. The problems may have been with the old receiver itself and not in the software, though that HW issue would have occurred a few months after it was working fine.

I remain cautious, as I was able to get intermittent remote connections occasionally with the old box so I will reserve final judgement for a few days. Still it is nice being able to use remote viewing of playlists from the HR34 again. Very happy I pulled the trigger on getting a replacement. Thanks for the hint RunnerFL !

Sounds like good news. Keep us posted!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#72 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Another adventure with the newest downgrade of software. Genie, unfortunately not Barbara Eden, would not play any recorded content from either its own recordings or from the HR24.

Please Please go back to the SD GUI.

#73 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

1 full day now with no problems after getting the new HR34 box. I'm going to tentatively say my issues are resolved with the replaced receiver. The HR34 can now share playlists to and from my other HR24s in my house consistently (for 1 day+ at least :-)... Yay :)

#74 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just hooked up my hr34 and i see there is no digital fiber optic connection on it?Strange that the best receiver has no fiber optic for dolby.

#75 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I believe they consider that legacy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...