Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05D3 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Fiber is a much higher bandwidth connection than any wire will ever be.

Incorrect, there is no bandwidth or quality difference between the two when it comes to the audio itself. As far as durability there is a big difference, fiber is fragile coax is not.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   mkertzman

mkertzman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

I've posted this for the past two releases - no change in this release, so I'll post again.

The behavior is as follows. I record a program (from a Series recording) and when I try to play it back, all I see is a freeze frame of the last frame showing on live TV before playback. The progress bar shows movement, but at a higher rate of speed than regular playback. FF/REW seems to work on the progress bar, but has no impact on seeing anything other than the the live freeze frame.

Since this release, I activated Whole Home DVR and was able to test playing back the problem recording from a remote DVR - this time, it just shows a black screen - no apparent movement on the progress bar, just black.

This happened this week on David Letterman's show and it's happened in the past on MSNBC.

An additional data point that may be related. When I just turned on the TV/HR34 (at about 10 AM local), the live TV had been tuned to the local NBC station - the live TV was frozen, and when I showed the progress bar, it showed the time pointer at 7:20 AM, but some time gap before what appeared to be the live buffer. The only way to unfreeze live TV was to change the Live TV channel - when I went back to the problem channel, it was fine. In addition, two programs that I had recorded via Series Manager that were on AFTER the frozen live TV had recorded fine.

Another user here thought that a workaround/possible cause was that this recorded program freeze might happen when the recording is on the same channel as the live TV. All of this might indicate some issue with the Live TV buffer, but I really don't know. This problem has been there for at least several HR34 releases.

I hope that this gives DirecTV enough information to diagnose the problem. I'd also like to hear from others who have experienced the same issue and whether you've found a fix/workaround or more information. Thanks!

#83 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

mkertzman -- I've had this happen before, but not lately.

#84 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

It's happened to me at least twice over the past 3 releases. Both times I believe it was on the Live TV channel. The first time it was a series link recording. The second time it happened on just a show that had been buffering, and I decided to save what had buffered before it went away. I tried playing around with the Live TV buffer and it would sometimes give me a 30sec playback before freezing again. I have had the Live TV buffer frozen several additional times as well, but did not think to try recording it to see if it brought up a blank recording. Maybe next time it happens I'll try that.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#85 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I believe that Toslink/Fiber optic audio outputs and inputs are more expensive to add to a device. Since most people are switching over to HDMI to carry both their audio and video signals, a lot of manufacturers have decided to quit including Toslink/Fiber Optic audio outputs and inputs as a way to cut costs. Just like most AV manufacturers have cut down on composite, S-video and even component audio video inputs and ouputs on their AV receivers to reduce costs. S-video is going away too on most components. Pretty soon it wouldn't suprise me if we start seeing more devices with just 2 sets of ouputs HDMI and composite.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#86 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Incorrect, there is no bandwidth or quality difference between the two when it comes to the audio itself. As far as durability there is a big difference, fiber is fragile coax is not.

Did I say Audio? No. Fiber has greater bandwidth capability. And it has that capability over much longer distances. We used fiber for communication with mini subs over very long distances (classified as to how far). Suffice to say it was measured in distances usually associated with land based vehicles. And that fiber was not "fragile". Wires of a few thousand feet are about as long as one can deploy underwater.

When Fiber was being implemented for audio, the multichannel capability using very high frequency carriers was in use.

And wire is subject to electromagnetic fields that can and will distort the original signal. Coax helps but is not proof against stray signal getting in.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#87 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

The fiber audio cables I've seen for home audio were definitely not as rugged as that. Though in reality likely not a big deal if its not messed with much.

#88 OFFLINE   tom74

tom74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Perhaps I'm the only one but, has anyone else looked at their "to do list" and seen series recordings set-up to record in duplicate ( 2 recordings for the same episode at the same time) even though only one series recording is set-up? I'm not sure yet if it will actually record twice or if it just the list that is funky.

#89 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Perhaps I'm the only one but, has anyone else looked at their "to do list" and seen series recordings set-up to record in duplicate ( 2 recordings for the same episode at the same time) even though only one series recording is set-up? I'm not sure yet if it will actually record twice or if it just the list that is funky.

I've seen other reports of this, perhaps two or three, but not recently. It could be due to a number of factors, and probably will go away on its own through time. (It hasn't happened on my unit yet.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#90 OFFLINE   tom74

tom74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I've seen other reports of this, perhaps two or three, but not recently. It could be due to a number of factors, and probably will go away on its own through time. (It hasn't happened on my unit yet.)

Do you know if In other cases the recordings have actually taken place in duplicate or has it just been the to do list itself?

#91 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Finally a good thing from a software downgrade. Most commercials have no audio.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#92 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I had that issue with the last release, but its working good on the current release. Is your DVR full? Is this happening when you have several things recording at the same time?

No my dvr is in no way full. When NOT recording anything both problems still exist (won't change tuners by use of down arrow and PIP will not turn on). Tuner Switching (doubleplay) worked first week and STILL is not working after multiple rbr's; had Genie for 3 weeks now. Also PIP worked for first week and is no longer working...maybe they're all related?! System tests OK; all 5 tuners 97-98% signal strength and all 5 tuners can record at the same time. No one else mentioning this so maybe the dvr is a lemon? Either it's a software issue, SWIM connection issue or a bad dvr...time will tell.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

#93 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Fiber has greater bandwidth capability. And it has that capability over much longer distances.

Better over longer distances, yes. More bandwidth, no.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#94 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Do you know if In other cases the recordings have actually taken place in duplicate or has it just been the to do list itself?

No, I sure don't. Unless you're running out of room, I'd let 'er go as she is, and then do some investigating. History may reveal something, and do please report what you find!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#95 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

No my dvr is in no way full. When NOT recording anything both problems still exist (won't change tuners by use of down arrow and PIP will not turn on). Tuner Switching (doubleplay) worked first week and STILL is not working after multiple rbr's; had Genie for 3 weeks now. Also PIP worked for first week and is no longer working...maybe they're all related?! System tests OK; all 5 tuners 97-98% signal strength and all 5 tuners can record at the same time. No one else mentioning this so maybe the dvr is a lemon? Either it's a software issue, SWIM connection issue or a bad dvr...time will tell.

You are not trying to activate double play or pip while watching a recording from the playlist are you? Just throwing that out there, I know once I thought mine was broken, till I realized I was watching a recording. ;)

#96 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

I asked this question before but I forgot where so I still don't know the answer. When I am using the PIP feature, is there a way to flip the audio back and forth between the main picture and the PIP? Thanks.

#97 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I asked this question before but I forgot where so I still don't know the answer. When I am using the PIP feature, is there a way to flip the audio back and forth between the main picture and the PIP? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have seen it posted a few times now that this is not possible. You have to swap the two pictures, you can only get audio from the main picture.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#98 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

This is the least stable version of the HR34 software so far.

On Sunday night I made a blank recording of 60 Minutes. I got two hours (with extra-long padding because of football) of a black screen. I had been watching CBS earlier that day for football and it was fine later that night.

Last night, while watching a recording of one of the evening news shows - I think it was Special Report on Fox News although it could have been Rachael Maddow's show - the screen suddenly went black. I couldn't do anything with the DVR. It was locked up. Even the DirecTV logo on the front of the DVR was not there. The only solution was a RBR. When I got back a picture and control, I deleted the recording, scared to play it again. I then did a second menu reboot to clear the Guide data since I was having problems. Everything seems to be working today.

I haven't seen stuff like this since the early days of the HR20.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#99 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Was watching the Dan Patrick show this am and the audio/video just stopped (as when I pause a recording). Heard a clicking sound, hit the black play button and the program started again. Did it 3 times within a 5 minute span. Don't know what happened but the clicking sound the 34 was making scares me. Any ideas??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#100 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

HR34 0x5d3 12:30 pm PST. Waited. Nothing. Reboot. Fixed.

Attached Thumbnails

• vlcsnap-2012-11-09-12h27m20s0.png

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 09 November 2012 - 03:34 PM.
Add Stuff

Protected By... spam firewall...And...